PDA

View Full Version : Rush's actions

arrakis44
November 6th, 2009, 06:56 PM
Really nice stroke by Rush. I did not see that coming. Staging the whole thing to fake out Telford and the others. Honestly I don't think Earth has the right to dictate to these people how things should or should not be done. They aren't there and they should be deferring to those who are.

Mythophile
November 6th, 2009, 07:01 PM
I'll take Rush's side yet again. Lost is better than dead any day.

Pharaoh Atem
November 6th, 2009, 07:01 PM
rush owned the IOA guys and teleford running away to save his own as EPIC FAIL

Pat1487
November 6th, 2009, 07:02 PM
Rush had to be pretty confident that they would bail out
His plan wouldnt have worked if they stayed

But yes, Rush did the right thing
And I agree earth shouldnt be telling them what to do so forcefully like this
They arent there and they arent the ones who are in danger (and even if they get into danger while there they can just bail out like cowards as demonstrated here)

wargrafix
November 6th, 2009, 07:03 PM
Rush saved everyone. And they still aren't grateful.

lordofseas
November 6th, 2009, 07:03 PM
Yay Rush!

rsanchez
November 6th, 2009, 07:07 PM
Honestly I don't think Earth has the right to dictate to these people how things should or should not be done. They aren't there and they should be deferring to those who are.

I have to agree with you. At the start of the series I assumed that since they are billions of light years away from Earth, they would pretty much be on their own. Now, having the capability to "go back" to Earth with such convenience takes away part of the edge of surviving by their own efforts. I had hoped it would be better than SGA in that they wouldn't be able to ride the Daedalus back and forth, gate back to Earth in an emergency, build a gate network back to Earth, use a gate drive to go back to Earth, etc., but they've had more contact with Earth so far than Atlantis had in the entire first season. I almost feel a little short-changed.

Mythophile
November 6th, 2009, 07:07 PM

It takes special people to appreciate the masterworks of an INTJ. :samanime51:

Arlan
November 6th, 2009, 07:13 PM
Also a very clever way to find out who's on his side. Very nicely done Rush.

wargrafix
November 6th, 2009, 07:22 PM
And you know that greer was thinking, "Damn douchebag". I tell you, they hit paydirt with these actors and actresses.

Jeff-B
November 6th, 2009, 07:26 PM
Also did a little more to unite the crew, now that they've got a common antagonist. They're also starting to realize that it won't be quite so easy to just gate back home.

Replicator Todd
November 6th, 2009, 07:29 PM
Rush is like, the ultimate......I dunno, something ultimate.

prion
November 6th, 2009, 07:31 PM
Also did a little more to unite the crew, now that they've got a common antagonist. They're also starting to realize that it won't be quite so easy to just gate back home.

I can't think he's uniting people. He's still manipulating, scared them out of their friggin' minds. He's going to do what HE wants to do, and that's to stay on the Destiny.

but yes, he saved them. You can love and hate him at same time..

TheoryCraft
November 6th, 2009, 07:32 PM
I can't help but wonder if he's pulled something like this before...

AVFan
November 6th, 2009, 07:32 PM

What are you talking about? All Rush wants to do is stay on the ship. And he's a psycho. Of course he set that up. Dialing Earth would've worked.

Replicator Todd
November 6th, 2009, 07:38 PM
Dialing Earth would've worked.
Are you sure about that? How could we know?

Pharaoh Atem
November 6th, 2009, 07:42 PM
What are you talking about? All Rush wants to do is stay on the ship. And he's a psycho. Of course he set that up. Dialing Earth would've worked.

and had possible taken destiny with it.

Squires
November 6th, 2009, 07:45 PM
Rush is like, the ultimate......I dunno, something ultimate.

The ultimate enigma. I like what he did tonight, I still don't know his true motives.

Pat1487
November 6th, 2009, 07:47 PM
The electricity coming off the gate didnt look staged by Rush
That didnt seem like a good thing, so based on that id say it wouldnt have worked

Also, while Rush wants to stay on the ship, he also doesnt want to die
Dialing Earth through this method successfully doesnt mean he would have to leave the ship
Dialing Earth successfully would be in Rush's best interest actually, he could get everyone off the ship and stay behind alone
I get the feeling he would much rather be alone on the ship then have people constantly 2nd guessing him and not trusting him

AVFan
November 6th, 2009, 07:48 PM
Are you sure about that? How could we know?

Because Rush is one devious sob. I doubt that anything that comes out of his mouth is the complete truth. He played them two episodes ago at the end of Light, and in Air. Who knows how many other times in between.

Oh, and this isn't to say I hate Rush. I'm loving Rush. But I wouldn't trust him with a dollar. (or a euro for our friends there :p)

AVFan
November 6th, 2009, 07:49 PM
The electricity coming off the gate didnt look staged by Rush
That didnt seem like a good thing, so based on that id say it wouldnt have worked

The gate on Icarus got electrified, and it worked perfectly. Well, except for the whole thing where the Ha'taks blow up the planet...

EllieVee
November 6th, 2009, 07:50 PM
Because Rush is one devious sob. I doubt that anything that comes out of his mouth is the complete truth. He played them two episodes ago at the end of Light, and in Air. Who knows how many other times in between.

Oh dear, and how exactly did Rush 'play' them? By being polite? Gosh, were everyone so easily confused by someone displaying manners in the face of such rudeness.

Ripple in Space
November 6th, 2009, 07:50 PM
But yes, Rush did the right thing
And I agree earth shouldnt be telling them what to do so forcefully like this
They arent there and they arent the ones who are in danger (and even if they get into danger while there they can just bail out like cowards as demonstrated here)

You have the right to your opinion, but remember, Rush & Young were defying O'Neill's orders. It's not like it was some guy with his own agenda, 12 years of Jack O'Neill, and we've seen that defending human life is #1 on his list of priorities, Young pretty much said so himself.

In similar situations, Weir, Shep, and all the others have deferred to Jack after voicing their grievances, because... it's the law... his integrity is unquestioned... the Asgard named a ship after him...

AVFan
November 6th, 2009, 07:53 PM
Oh dear, and how exactly did Rush 'play' them? By being polite? Gosh, were everyone so easily confused by someone displaying manners in the face of such rudeness.

He dialed them to the Destiny in the first place, when he obviously should've dialed to Earth. Then for him to be polite out of NOWHERE? Especially when everyone doubted him? Not to mention the fact that he took him name out of the lottery.

EllieVee
November 6th, 2009, 07:56 PM
He dialed them to the Destiny in the first place, when he obviously should've dialed to Earth. Then for him to be polite out of NOWHERE? Especially when everyone doubted him? Not to mention the fact that he took him name out of the lottery.

He actually had a valid scientific reason not to dial Earth. He took his name out of the lottery because he wanted to stay on Destiny. And all it took for him to be polite was to come down from a caffeine and nicotine high.

AVFan
November 6th, 2009, 08:00 PM
He actually had a valid scientific reason not to dial Earth. He took his name out of the lottery because he wanted to stay on Destiny. And all it took for him to be polite was to come down from a caffeine and nicotine high.

For the first two, I suppose it's a matter of opinion- I think he's lying through his teeth, but you may be just as right. And I don't really think getting off of nicotine/caffine highs cause personality changes.

Pat1487
November 6th, 2009, 08:04 PM
You have the right to your opinion, but remember, Rush & Young were defying O'Neill's orders. It's not like it was some guy with his own agenda, 12 years of Jack O'Neill, and we've seen that defending human life is #1 on his list of priorities, Young pretty much said so himself.

In similar situations, Weir, Shep, and all the others have deferred to Jack after voicing their grievances, because... it's the law... his integrity is unquestioned... the Asgard named a ship after him...

I wasnt questioning Jack
I agree with you, Jacks integrity is unquestioned
The IOA were pulling the strings with this, not Jack

When the transcripts are out for this episode ill pull up the quote that im thinking of
Its either where hes talking about how Sam got him out of stuff using stuff he doesnt understand, or the 2nd exchange between Young and Jack

EllieVee
November 6th, 2009, 08:17 PM
For the first two, I suppose it's a matter of opinion- I think he's lying through his teeth, but you may be just as right. And I don't really think getting off of nicotine/caffine highs cause personality changes.

Ah, but the difference is you're speculating and I'm using what's in the episodes. Actions and words, my friend. ;)

As for coming down off a high, do you know anything about withdrawal?

_Famrir_
November 6th, 2009, 08:22 PM
Rush is the what i wanted mckay to be in atlantis. I think rush has a good reason for his actions and in the end its for the benefit for Destiny and in turn for the rest of the crew, also he saved them twice and i highly doubt he knew as a fact that the destiny was going to refuel in the center of the sun. Plus his rashness for the first few days or so aboard the ship can be attributed to his withdrawal.

Cecil Brax
November 6th, 2009, 08:24 PM

Ohh yeah it does. When I was younger I drank alot of Coffee (A half-pot a day) and I was forced to stop cold turkey one day. After about a day or two, I was ripping people's heads off, sick to my stomach, going from highs to low ... Caffeine withdrawl is a very very real thing and can seriously change your personality till it gets out of your system.

To this day, if I drink more then a cup every once in a great while I start to get addicted to it again. Even when I stopped drinking soda every day I could seriously feel the effects and was very irritable in the mornings.

Off topic, but just to respond to a thought someone else had posted about.

- CB

WindowsME
November 6th, 2009, 08:27 PM
Keep in mind the wise words Rush once mentioned to TJ, "Always have the greater good in mind." I merit him for taking such action as he did and ultimately it effected the story dramatically with subsequent possible events to stir between Young and Telford. While it's up for speculation, Rush seems to know more of the ship than he is making known; this is the second scenario in which an impending death may have occur. As mentioned in other threads, Telford is doing an outstanding job in playing the role his character is assigned giving the impression that he is scum, quick to think, and overly responsive to those who question and threaten his career.

ARealArchaeologist
November 6th, 2009, 08:42 PM
I think Rush is a great character and made the right decision. I'll be interested to see if people treat him different in the following episodes, and how he works to undermine the respect and trust he may have earned.

What I'm really enjoying is the contrast/comparison of Telford and Rush. I think Telford looks far worse in comparison. Rush might manipulate, but Telford just marches over whoever is in his way.

Otarush
November 6th, 2009, 08:44 PM
I got the feeling when Rush wasn't complaining too much during the episode that he was gonna pull something- and WOW that was amazing. He's devious as anything, but I think he's basically good if extremely pragmatic, and that's a powerful combination. I like Rush, but I would NOT want to get on his nerves too much.

Ed
November 6th, 2009, 09:28 PM
How do we know he didn't do the same thing at icarus?

StarFighter
November 6th, 2009, 09:29 PM
Rush appears to have more knowledge of the ship than he is letting on. It was discussed while Rush was eating his rations that Rush might not want to dial back to Earth because he will be removed from the Destiny project.

Rush's actions are still up in the air.

EllieVee
November 6th, 2009, 09:29 PM

In terms of ...?

BurningIce
November 6th, 2009, 09:34 PM
rush owned the IOA guys and teleford running away to save his own as EPIC FAIL
:) I don't care why Rush did it. I don't care if did or did not lie. What he did, when he chose to do it and the outcome, was EPIC WIN.

garhkal
November 6th, 2009, 10:10 PM
Really nice stroke by Rush. I did not see that coming. Staging the whole thing to fake out Telford and the others. Honestly I don't think Earth has the right to dictate to these people how things should or should not be done. They aren't there and they should be deferring to those who are.

Looing at it i think it was a plan Scott set up with rush, after Greer had that little talking to him from his cell.
BUT i do agree, earth SHOULD have waited to see what the people there wanted, without IOA chick and telford stiring things up.

I'll take Rush's side yet again. Lost is better than dead any day.

Yup. It is better to be lost and alive to try again later than dead now and still lost.

Rush had to be pretty confident that they would bail out
His plan wouldnt have worked if they stayed

I think since he knows that death of the body of X also kills Y who is in it (the body cannot live without the mind, but neither can the mind live without the body) it was a good and safe bet that telford and co would run if it got dangerous.

I loved the look he got from the IOA chick and Greer (noding respectfully to rush iirc) when he told them why he did it that way.

I got the feeling when Rush wasn't complaining too much during the episode that he was gonna pull something- and WOW that was amazing. He's devious as anything, but I think he's basically good if extremely pragmatic, and that's a powerful combination. I like Rush, but I would NOT want to get on his nerves too much.

Neither would i. It seems he delites in shanking people over.. BUT it was a very coniving plan and i think he was helped by Scott.

Cause Icarus DID blow up.

Nemises
November 6th, 2009, 10:18 PM
I've like rush since the first episode.

We did see that the shields were failing so rush wasn't lying about that.

Sam StarEagle
November 6th, 2009, 10:22 PM

That was clever indeed...:cool:

Sifr
November 6th, 2009, 10:35 PM
It was beautifully staged, the guy is a total Xanatos Speed Chess master!

I almost expected him in the last scene to put his hand up and go around asking for a high-five.

*Eli goes to high-five, Young shoots him a look*

AVFan
November 6th, 2009, 11:21 PM
Ohh yeah it does. When I was younger I drank alot of Coffee (A half-pot a day) and I was forced to stop cold turkey one day. After about a day or two, I was ripping people's heads off, sick to my stomach, going from highs to low ... Caffeine withdrawl is a very very real thing and can seriously change your personality till it gets out of your system.

To this day, if I drink more then a cup every once in a great while I start to get addicted to it again. Even when I stopped drinking soda every day I could seriously feel the effects and was very irritable in the mornings.

Off topic, but just to respond to a thought someone else had posted about.

- CB
Well I agree that there will probably be a big difference when you're in withdrawl, but I was saying that the state of being addicted to caffeine and filling that need, and not being addicted at all are very close to the same.

Because when he could get his coffee fix (back on Icarus), he was still yapping at people.

EllieVee
November 6th, 2009, 11:34 PM
Well I agree that there will probably be a big difference when you're in withdrawl, but I was saying that the state of being addicted to caffeine and filling that need, and not being addicted at all are very close to the same.

Because when he could get his coffee fix (back on Icarus), he was still yapping at people.

I must have missed that episode ...

Cecil Brax
November 6th, 2009, 11:49 PM

Well, I believe what the original poster might have been referring to was his Caffeine withdrawal not caffeine high.

Also, Caffeine will change someone if they drink enough. It keeps you alert, but also tends to make you a bit more hyper. It puts many people in an artificially better mood as well. You appear to be happy, but when challenging things come along you get snappy and snarky and otherwise unpleasant to be around.

While you may be hyper and happy on caffeine, its 'artificial' in the way that anything to shatter that little bubble will just push you over the edge. Rush is probably more calm now that he's off caffeine then he ever was when he was on it.

There's a difference between being addicted to Caffeine, and just drinking alot of it too. Because of how mild Caffeine is compared to real drugs it takes a long time to really build up an addiction that's hard to do just on Soda alone. You could do it with 'Stay Awake' pills or other kinds of pills that have high doses of caffeine in them in combination with lots of soda but really it takes alot of coffee drinking for a long period of time in most people. There are of course exceptions to these rules.

Anyway, Rush probably is doing better personality wise off the Caffeine then he ever did when he was on it. Everyone drinks Coffee or Soda for their own reasons. Taste, to stay awake, alertness, etc etc. Personally, I did it cause I was poor and coffee was cheep. hehe. I don't know if this is coincidence that he seems calmer now (Even more so then he was on Icarus), or that the writers intentionally wrote it that way. More then a few of them have probably gone up against Caffeine addiction before in their lives though. hehe

- CB

AVFan
November 7th, 2009, 12:06 AM
I must have missed that episode ...

He was pretty snarky on Icarus in Air pt I.

And thanks, CB. This is the second time tonight you've explained something I didn't get before. Green for you.

AnnieS
November 7th, 2009, 12:06 AM
Wasen't so sure about Rush until this episode. But I think next to Young he has now moved up to second fave!!!

WAY TO GO RUSH!!! You showed Telford and the others hehe!!!

Gallienus
November 7th, 2009, 01:25 AM
I really loved Rush's victory this evening. He seemed to show he was one step ahead of the entire operation, and pragmatic to the end he said he did it because it "had to be done." He did a good thing, but he's still enigmatic; Young certainly is still more than willing to second guess his motives. I think the way the show set things up, plot wise made Rush out to be something of an unsung hero, I can't imagine that wasn't done without reason. I am simply curious to see whether this goes anywhere, Rush isn't any good at currying favor and I wonder if anyone will remember his little move down the line.

Cold Fuzz
November 7th, 2009, 02:18 AM
I really loved Rush's victory this evening. He seemed to show he was one step ahead of the entire operation, and pragmatic to the end he said he did it because it "had to be done." He did a good thing, but he's still enigmatic; Young certainly is still more than willing to second guess his motives. I think the way the show set things up, plot wise made Rush out to be something of an unsung hero, I can't imagine that wasn't done without reason. I am simply curious to see whether this goes anywhere, Rush isn't any good at currying favor and I wonder if anyone will remember his little move down the line.

It's interesting that Brody and Volker seemed to be subtly and quietly supporting Rush during the whole situation in the gate room.

pipi
November 7th, 2009, 02:25 AM
Nicely done I'd say. Who's your daddy is what Rush should say.

Infinite-Possibilities
November 7th, 2009, 02:42 AM
Can't say I didn't see that coming. Although I didn't expect him to be so open about it. Which was nice I guess. I think I expected him more to quietly sabotage their efforts so he can stay on the ship and say "Oops. Well I guess it doesn't work. Guess you need to go home now." I think overall it was a pretty cool episode from Rush.

knowles2
November 7th, 2009, 02:44 AM
Rush is a expert at manipulating people, playing them off one an other. I also think he pretty happy at the team he got on the destiny. Even through they are slower than him, I think he slowly relising he can trained them up an get them think his way.

I think he did gain more control an more command of the team this episode, in effect we had four people playing a power game on-board the destiny, Wray, Telford, Rush an Young an Rush just crush the other three like ants.

missmobius
November 7th, 2009, 02:58 AM
Am I the only one upset that Rush sabotaged the gate? and that they didn't get back to earth?

I want them so badly to get off Destiny and be back home at SGC, maybe then we can see more O'Neill, Carter, Jackson, and some new SciFi techno stuff.

Frankly the slow drawn out relationship based dark scenes are starting to really annoy me! It really is a close cousin to BSG :(

talyn2k1
November 7th, 2009, 04:22 AM
If they got home, the series would be over...

Plus, I don't think Rush sabotaged the gate itself.

I think everything was happening without his influence up until the point where they tried to shut it down and it didn't work, except for maybe a few extra alarms going off. If they had been able to shut it down, they would've just tried again. When they couldn't shut it down, they ran back to Earth. As soon as Rush knew they were gone, he shut it down himself.

I don't think it would've worked anyway. There are plenty of ways Rush could've engineered his staying behind when everyone else went. Then I'm sure he could cut power to the Stargate and be alone on Destiny like I think he really wants.
Despite this, I think he is starting to get used to being around these people...

Solokiller
November 7th, 2009, 04:34 AM
The gate looked a bit fried after they shut it down, unless it was just the lighting that made it look like that. I'd also like to see those big triple barreled cannons in action once.

Mythophile
November 7th, 2009, 04:55 AM

Oh, and this isn't to say I hate Rush. I'm loving Rush. But I wouldn't trust him with a dollar. (or a euro for our friends there :p)

INTJ arrogance isn't really snobbishness:

To outsiders, INTJs may appear to project an aura of "definiteness", of self-confidence. This self-confidence, sometimes mistaken for simple arrogance by the less decisive, is actually of a very specific rather than a general nature; its source lies in the specialized knowledge systems that most INTJs start building at an early age. When it comes to their own areas of expertise -- and INTJs can have several -- they will be able to tell you almost immediately whether or not they can help you, and if so, how. INTJs know what they know, and perhaps still more importantly, they know what they don't know.

snipped from the Rush's agenda (http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=69452&page=18) thread.

Lightning Ducj
November 7th, 2009, 06:46 AM
I think Rush saw ahead well enough to realize the plan would fail and so set out to subtly sabotage it before it got far enough to be dangerous.

Now, the question I have is...was Rush right? Was the plan doomed to fail dangerously if Rush did nothing, or did Rush's hubris get in the way to make him think he knew better, whereas the plan may have worked if he didn't interfere.

The repairs of the ship to allow using the weapons *did* lead to Riley's injury, and without Rush riding rains, the situation would've been much worse...*but* that part of the plan, using the weapons to drain energy to force Destiny to refuel....that actually worked.

I don't think Rush is evil enough to sabotage a plan that would've worked, but I'm not sure if his self-confidence would allow him to see clearly whether someone else's plan would correctly work or not.

syfygal47
November 7th, 2009, 06:52 AM
Rush is violating the chain of command by taking things into his own hands, and not telling anyone of his plan. I still see nothing to trust about him, and his actions in this episode prove that he is really acting on his own agenda. I agree with the assessment that he does not want to go back to Earth.

thekillman
November 7th, 2009, 07:07 AM
well rush WAS right. the ship couldn't handle the powerdraining. he just ensured it wouldnt explode and got them off the ship.

as rush said, now that we know what the plan was, and now that they got the data, they can try dialling later. except then, they can repair the ship and do it properly

leanbarton
November 7th, 2009, 07:53 AM
Looing at it i think it was a plan Scott set up with rush, after Greer had that little talking to him from his cell.
BUT i do agree, earth SHOULD have waited to see what the people there wanted, without IOA chick and telford stiring things up.

Scott seemed pretty surprised, he told Rush "You could have told people."

antcave
November 7th, 2009, 08:16 AM
It's interesting that Brody and Volker seemed to be subtly and quietly supporting Rush during the whole situation in the gate room.

yeah i think they were in on it

Pharaoh Atem
November 7th, 2009, 08:31 AM
it was nice to see the destiny crew stand up for itself

andr3w_iii
November 7th, 2009, 09:02 AM
What was clearly shown here is that Rush has his own agenda, what he did was the right thing, I find it interesting that no one on the ship or back on earth trusts Rush. I know this is not part of the discussion but I think what they tried to do would have worked.

Have to admit Rush was cool in this episode, best character so far

Kaiphantom
November 7th, 2009, 10:03 AM
well rush WAS right. the ship couldn't handle the powerdraining. he just ensured it wouldnt explode and got them off the ship.

as rush said, now that we know what the plan was, and now that they got the data, they can try dialling later. except then, they can repair the ship and do it properly

I like Rush, but it's not clear that it would have failed. From a scientific standpoint, it could have had odds like: 70% chance to fail, 30% chance to work.

It could have worked, or it could have failed and blown up the ship. In his favor, we saw the shields being affected. But we have reason to believe Rush may not want to go home, because he doesn't think he'll be allowed back, or removed by the next group to come. And even if another group can't come, he can't survive alone on the ship. Well, maybe for awhile if they leave all the supplies, but it wouldn't last, and it would be risky.

knowles2
November 7th, 2009, 10:13 AM
What was clearly shown here is that Rush has his own agenda, what he did was the right thing, I find it interesting that no one on the ship or back on earth trusts Rush. I know this is not part of the discussion but I think what they tried to do would have worked.

Have to admit Rush was cool in this episode, best character so far

We know the IOA does not trust Rush, then again they do not trust anyone which does not follow there orders 100% of the time no matter what the results of those orders are. Rush more than likely disobeyed a few of there orders in the past.

But there is evidence that O'neil trust Rush to some degree. At least to put him in charge of the destiny for a while an to let him come along to recruit Eli.

There probably something bigger going on here between the IOA, O'Neil and Rush.
One thing I love is how Rush acts like he is in command.

j_talyn
November 7th, 2009, 11:24 AM
From what I'm remembering while it's still fresh. Just finished watching this an about an hour ago. Rush put "limitations and safe-guards" in place and added the alarms and light's flickering for theatrics. He didn't outright sabotage in my eyes, but he made sure it wouldn't get to the point of blowing the ship up. He himself stated that the shields were failing was not a setup and some of what we saw was a problem. Whether it would have worked or not is a side question. If Rush really wanted to, I'm sure he could come up with some idea. He probably does have an idea but it's taking some serious time and prep to do this and will need like Eli's help. I believe in the end, he'll get the respect of others and some trust (but not much). One theory I have going through my mind is that Rush already has the master code to the computer system. He is being supremely quiet about it until he's had enough time to figure out everything, repaired and get Destiny in top shape.

EllieVee
November 7th, 2009, 02:25 PM
We know the IOA does not trust Rush, then again they do not trust anyone which does not follow there orders 100% of the time no matter what the results of those orders are. Rush more than likely disobeyed a few of there orders in the past.

But there is evidence that O'neil trust Rush to some degree. At least to put him in charge of the destiny for a while an to let him come along to recruit Eli.

There probably something bigger going on here between the IOA, O'Neil and Rush.
One thing I love is how Rush acts like he is in command.

How do we know the IOA doesn't trust Rush? (Haven't seen Earth yet. Was something said in the episode?)

O'Neil
November 7th, 2009, 02:42 PM
Im really liking Rush. At first, he appeared to be the one that would cause trouble, but now its clear he's one of only a few that have a brain.

Infinite-Possibilities
November 7th, 2009, 09:51 PM
Well we don't know much about the whole future yet. He could still very well cause a lot of trouble.

KEK
November 7th, 2009, 09:55 PM
Im really liking Rush. At first, he appeared to be the one that would cause trouble, but now its clear he's one of only a few that have a brain.

Well not really, for all we know the plan could have been a dead cert to work, but because he wants to stay on Destiny he lied and made out that it wouldn't.

Lightning Ducj
November 7th, 2009, 10:01 PM

A lot were saying that about Greer after Air, too

My feeling is that people are so used to tv shows portraying characters as 'good' or 'bad' with a simple set of motivations that they are used to painting people as either good guys or bad guys based on a few simple actions or phrases. SGU is portraying the characters as much more nuanced with a more complicated back story and set of motivations and I admit it seems in reading here that many are seeming to pigeon-hole the characters based on early assessment on 'good' or 'bad'..and as the story goes on those assessments are often ... premature

knowles2
November 8th, 2009, 02:06 AM
How do we know the IOA doesn't trust Rush? (Haven't seen Earth yet. Was something said in the episode?)

Yes something was said in the episode.

EllieVee
November 8th, 2009, 02:12 AM
Yes something was said in the episode.

*mutters* Damn having to wait until Friday to see it ...

Encoder
November 8th, 2009, 05:35 AM

Definitely a touch of "stage" class for Rush, 100 points for the idea and execution, it fooled me!

I do feel tho that Young should be a lil more respectful to O'Neill, considering that Young would like to maintain the chain of command on Destiny, he should respect it on Earth as well!

:sheppard:

Soledat
November 8th, 2009, 03:38 PM

My feeling is that people are so used to tv shows portraying characters as 'good' or 'bad' with a simple set of motivations that they are used to painting people as either good guys or bad guys based on a few simple actions or phrases. SGU is portraying the characters as much more nuanced with a more complicated back story and set of motivations and I admit it seems in reading here that many are seeming to pigeon-hole the characters based on early assessment on 'good' or 'bad'..and as the story goes on those assessments are often ... premature

I agree and I'n not the one who would label a character as bad or good, because we, people, are good and bad at the same time - it depends on circumstations.

I like these more complicated characters, they're the main reason why I watch the show.

I absolutely, completely adore Rush. Not because he's always doing good things, but because he's so much complicated. He's conflicted with his emotions, he's logical in his actions and he's not an open book. You can wonder - what he really meant doing this or that.

If someone wants to label him, I would say that they're safe with him, because he wants to live. And it's a matter of opinion if you consider his actions as good or bad.

Ian-S
November 8th, 2009, 04:08 PM
Definitely a touch of "stage" class for Rush, 100 points for the idea and execution, it fooled me!

I do feel tho that Young should be a lil more respectful to O'Neill, considering that Young would like to maintain the chain of command on Destiny, he should respect it on Earth as well!

maintaining the chain of command on the ship is more to do with maintaining order and not letting people go mad rather than anything else.

Well, put it this way, if someone a billion light years away told me to do something that would fail more likely than succeed, ending in my death, I wouldn't even be so polite to my commanding officer, what's he gonna do, slap me? :)

Ashman
November 8th, 2009, 05:15 PM
Rush the classic antihero! Torn & torrmented by his own greatness!

ckwongau
November 8th, 2009, 07:05 PM
When the crew thought the ship was about to be destory by the sun , he volunteer to remove himself from the lottery.

Young remove himself from the lottery in the interest of fairness and he put the crew 's interest above his own.But Col Young 's main goal was to get his crew and himself home.

Telford 's goal was to get onboard the ship ,but he put his life first .We saw him cut and run without a moment of hesitation.

Dr Rush probably the only one truely happy onboard Destiny,and he is the only one with the Ship's original mission (exploring universe) at heart.
But the IOA doesn't believe he want to return home, Telford probably won't let him return to Destiny if they ever get the crew home.
Col Young suspect Rush of Sabotage their rescue attempt .

If they could only find a way to use Rush for the best of the Destiny.

Lightning Ducj
November 8th, 2009, 07:11 PM
Rush is not happy

the fifth man
November 8th, 2009, 07:57 PM
Well we don't know much about the whole future yet. He could still very well cause a lot of trouble.

And I think he will. Occasionally, anyway.

koroush47
November 8th, 2009, 08:56 PM
You can't make wormholes pass through suns without screwing things up bad.

What makes it a good idea to make a wormhole INSIDE a sun?

Idiot IOA.

EllieVee
November 8th, 2009, 09:08 PM

Idiot IOA.

They probably didn't see that episode.

Encoder
November 8th, 2009, 09:21 PM
it was nice to see the destiny crew stand up for itself

Yeah it's good to see the unity formed under those circumstances does hold up!

Completely agree, Rush has changed in my opinion, but 100% but enough to make me appreciate his character!

"Very well", I'd say, definitely :P

koroush47
November 9th, 2009, 11:59 AM
They probably didn't see that episode.

Somebody send over a set of SG1 DVDs over.

The IOA seriously doesn't know what they are dealing with.

Jeff-B
November 9th, 2009, 03:39 PM
If it were just to blow up( destabilize) the sun, they probably wouldn't care much because they'd be back home billions of miles away. On the other hand, a flare could send them back to around 1969 or so.

garhkal
November 9th, 2009, 04:12 PM
I've like rush since the first episode.

We did see that the shields were failing so rush wasn't lying about that.

That is true, we did get a glimpse of them flickering.

Perhaps he brought them two into his plan..

Now, the question I have is...was Rush right? Was the plan doomed to fail dangerously if Rush did nothing, or did Rush's hubris get in the way to make him think he knew better, whereas the plan may have worked if he didn't interfere.

Me thinks it might have been both. Huberus as well as knowing something might go wrong.

Scott seemed pretty surprised, he told Rush "You could have told people."

Maybe he was in on what rush was going to do (stage something to get them off the ship) but not the specifics.

Idiot IOA.

That is a very valid point. We know from SG1 and SGA that passing near a sun when a flair is happening is cause for time travel, and cause of red star we know going THROUGH a sun causes all sorts of issues. So why did the Scientists seriously think this plan was good..

If it were just to blow up( destabilize) the sun, they probably wouldn't care much because they'd be back home billions of miles away. On the other hand, a flare could send them back to around 1969 or so.

THey would care if the sun's going Nova translated through the gate..

akren
November 10th, 2009, 04:22 AM

I totally agree, these characters are not always good or evil & like real life, their actions & motives & what makes them tick is not always cut & dry. Just like real people, they are conflicted, flawed & don't always do the right thing for the right reason (or heaven forbid, the right thing for the wrong reason! ;)). It is one of the main reasons I watch show & am very much hoping for a Season 2. :)

As for Rush's actions, they were brilliantly executed & artfully delivered (R.C.'s acting is phenominional! :D). I think it was a mixture of both his desire to (1) stay on the ship, (2) not have the ship probably blow up in the attempt to dial Earth & (3) show Telford & his goons for the <INSERT INAPPROPERAITE RANT HERE> they are (IMHO what their characters did was diploarable & only served to solidify the Destiny crew against them & serves to damage their credability).

ZGoten
February 22nd, 2010, 12:19 AM
I don't know whether or not this has been said before, but Rush kind of reminds me of Dr. Weir from the movie 'Event Horizon' (played by Sam Neill). That guy also loved his ship a little too much to let it go. Although we don't know if that really is the case with Rush, yet.