Unlocking Destiny’s Primary Systems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Unlocking Destiny’s Primary Systems

I am wondering why the crew still haven’t got access to the Destiny’s main systems like navigation, flight control, weapons etc. The crew can access some low level systems like water filtration and some of the life support systems, and in darkness they got short range communications to the shuttle online. Anyway I thought what if a code is required to unlock the primary systems, like how the gate address was a code to get to the Destiny. It is assumed that when the Ancients gated onto the ship they would disable the autopilot and take control of the ship to fly it to where they wanted, However without this particular code (whatever it may be) the crew will be unable to unlock any of the main systems .

What do people think?
    "So, what's your impression of Alar?"
    "That he is concealing something."
    "Like what?"
    "I am unsure. He is concealing it."

"Well, according to Einstein’s General Theory of Relativity, there’s nothing in the laws of physics to prevent it. Extremely difficult to achieve, mind you – you need the technology to manipulate black holes to create wormholes not only through points in space but time."
    "Not to mention a really nice DeLorean."
    "Don’t even get me started on that movie!"
    "I liked that movie!"

Could just be they aren't able to get to the section of the ship that would allow them to control the primary systems, remember they're only occupying a small section of the ship.

Comment

I imagine the life support, water filtration, and all other lower-level systems are like the stargate itself, an isolated system that can be accessed from the machinery directly.

Navigation, FTL, main weapons, etc. are probably only accessable from the bridge/main control room. What Rush is currently using seems to be little more than a control node/engineering substation rather than anything more complex.
      sigpic
      http://www.nerdtests.com/ft_space.php

Comment

Originally posted by Control_Chair View Post
        I am wondering why the crew still haven’t got access to the Destiny’s main systems like navigation, flight control, weapons etc. The crew can access some low level systems like water filtration and some of the life support systems, and in darkness they got short range communications to the shuttle online. Anyway I thought what if a code is required to unlock the primary systems, like how the gate address was a code to get to the Destiny. It is assumed that when the Ancients gated onto the ship they would disable the autopilot and take control of the ship to fly it to where they wanted, However without this particular code (whatever it may be) the crew will be unable to unlock any of the main systems .

What do people think?
        They should gain access to the main systems once they find the bridge and the main sections of the ship, currently they are occupying what seems to be the crew quarters and gate room which is why they only have access to the sub systems.
        sigpic

Comment

I completely agree with the above posters.

For security sake, main systems should only be controllable from the Engine Room or the Primary Control room. Some ships have a secondary control room which is heavily guarded or hard to access usually. When I started designing ships for my Online Roleplaying Website I did some research into this in which mention that for the sake of security, you don't want to have too many points in which to access primary systems or otherwise you risk the ship falling under the control of potential boarding parties. Hense why the primary control centers like the bridge are so heavily guarded, as is enginneering. There is usually only one access point to them for this reason.

I also agree with what was said about the Control Node that Rush uses. It doesn't appears to be anything beyond a damage control center and as such, would have limited access to the primary systems. Otherwise if someone does manage to dial the gate which seems to have no shield or Iris, they would have instant access to primary systems and could just vent the ship to space, knock out the FTL for their ships to attack, or dive the ship into a sun .... without the shield on. hehe

- CB
          Before you insult a man, walk a mile in his shoes.
          Then, you're a mile away ... and you have his shoes.

Enjoy Online Roleplaying? So do I! Contact me over any listed IM program to learn about my Online Roleplaying Website! (E-Mail me first if you plan to contact me through MSN, I have privacy mode enabled.)

Or join my Roleplaying Group, and I'll contact you!

Comment

Originally posted by Cecil Brax View Post
            I completely agree with the above posters.

For security sake, main systems should only be controllable from the Engine Room or the Primary Control room. Some ships have a secondary control room which is heavily guarded or hard to access usually. When I started designing ships for my Online Roleplaying Website I did some research into this in which mention that for the sake of security, you don't want to have too many points in which to access primary systems or otherwise you risk the ship falling under the control of potential boarding parties. Hense why the primary control centers like the bridge are so heavily guarded, as is enginneering. There is usually only one access point to them for this reason.

I also agree with what was said about the Control Node that Rush uses. It doesn't appears to be anything beyond a damage control center and as such, would have limited access to the primary systems. Otherwise if someone does manage to dial the gate which seems to have no shield or Iris, they would have instant access to primary systems and could just vent the ship to space, knock out the FTL for their ships to attack, or dive the ship into a sun .... without the shield on. hehe

- CB
            I agree with what people are saying about only accessing the primary systems from the bridge or engine room, however in terms of extra security I was thinking about unlocking the Primary systems via a code as an extra level of security put in place by the Ancients.
            Spoiler:
            It has been hinted that we are not the first occupants of the ship, it would prevent any alien races that did get access on to the ship from taking complete control and using it for their own ends.
            "So, what's your impression of Alar?"
            "That he is concealing something."
            "Like what?"
            "I am unsure. He is concealing it."

"Well, according to Einstein’s General Theory of Relativity, there’s nothing in the laws of physics to prevent it. Extremely difficult to achieve, mind you – you need the technology to manipulate black holes to create wormholes not only through points in space but time."
            "Not to mention a really nice DeLorean."
            "Don’t even get me started on that movie!"
            "I liked that movie!"

Comment

I agree with what people are saying about only accessing the primary systems from the bridge or engine room, however in terms of extra security I was thinking about unlocking the Primary systems via a code as an extra level of security put in place by the Ancients.
              Spoiler:
              It has been hinted that we are not the first occupants of the ship, it would prevent any alien races that did get access on to the ship from taking complete control and using it for their own ends.
              Yep,

I completely agree with this as well. I have no doubt there is a code in place to prevent anyone who got on board from getting into the primary systems.

- CB
              Before you insult a man, walk a mile in his shoes.
              Then, you're a mile away ... and you have his shoes.

Enjoy Online Roleplaying? So do I! Contact me over any listed IM program to learn about my Online Roleplaying Website! (E-Mail me first if you plan to contact me through MSN, I have privacy mode enabled.)

Or join my Roleplaying Group, and I'll contact you!

Comment

I am wondering why the crew still haven’t got access to the Destiny’s main systems like navigation, flight control, weapons etc. The crew can access some low level systems like water filtration and some of the life support systems, and in darkness they got short range communications to the shuttle online. Anyway I thought what if a code is required to unlock the primary systems, like how the gate address was a code to get to the Destiny.
                I also thought about that. I tried to imagine a way that, if both Sam and McKay came on the Destiny to unlock the system, they wouldn't be able to do it. I start on the premise that on this show we don't want the crew to have access to main system as navigation. So I imagine the best way would be to have the access to the main system hardware coded by the ancients so they couldn't be access by boarding aliens races. McKay:"I can't do anything. I'm locked out of every system. All systems are hardware coded with a thousand digit numbers. Ancients must use some kind of swipe card to have access to their main system".
                Currently watching: Dark Matter, 12 Monkeys, Doctor Who, Under the Dome, The Mentalist, The Messengers, The Last Ship, Elementary, Dominion, The Whispers, Extant, Olympus, Da Vinci's Demons, Vikings

Comment

Spoiler:
                  Even if some alien got aboard they could not read the language for the controls, and it is unlikely that any design they have in similar to the Destiny, that being said the ancients could be very arrogant and thought a lock out code wasn't necessary.
                  They could have also set it up so that the only someone coming in through the Stargate can access the ships system. That could have been the propose of the ninth chevron, and as extra security limited control to the bridge so that once access was granted only they could run the ship
                  Tis No Fool to lose what He can not keep, To gain what he will never Lose

Comment

What do people think?
                    Most likely they are locked out by a code and even more likely that the console that controls those functions has either A) Not been found or B) Never installed since Destiny was never finished and is being flown essentialy on auto. There may not even be a way to gain control of navigation.
                    Proud Sam/Jack and Daniel/Vala and John/Teyla Shipper!
                    "We're Americans! Shoot the guys following us!"
                    Don S. Davis 1942-2008 R.I.P. My Friend.

Comment

Maybe in an unreachable part of the ship there's some sort of Control Chair.
                      "Most people who are watching TV are semi-catatonic. They're not fully alive." - U.S. District Court Judge Timothy Batten Sr.
                      Ronald Greer is also a medic. Your argument is invalid.
                      Originally posted by J-Whitt Remastered
                      Secondly, I think that everything DigiFluid is good.
                      Sandcastle Builder: The game of XKCD: Time

Comment

Spoiler:
                        Plus we have seen codes used before. Remember in atlantis we had control over lots of stuff, but still no use of full controls till the returrn when those ancients took control back. Plus we had some stuff then more when they plugged in the ZPM. Perhaps the ancients designed Destiny in a similar fashion. X level of control from the get go. Y with more power, Z with access passwords.

B) Never installed since Destiny was never finished and is being flown essentialy on auto. There may not even be a way to gain control of navigation.
                        That would be messed up if it is true.

Comment

I agree with the above.

I also got a feeling that damage to the ship may also be preventing them from gaining controlling the vessel.

Also it being hinted that there have been previous occupiers on the vessel, the destiny may of activated further counter measures an defences, or may be the aliens themselves blocked off the system.

All I know is that I doubt we will gain control of the vessel any time soon, an if we do figure it out I want it to be a hard job, evolving over multiple episodes. Not just Rush tapping a few controls or Rodney/carter coming aboard to figure it out in five seconds.

Comment

I don't think the Ancients left the keys in the ignition so to speak. They probably left the ship on autopilot and locked any potential user out from everything. The Ancients would then come back and use some type of key/code/bio-signal/ect... to take control. Unless some ascended beings so show up and unlock some stuff I have a feeling that they'll be running on auto for a very very long time.

Even if they find the bridge all that will probably happen is Rush sits down presses a button over and over only to hear 'access denied' in Ancient while Young asks why he's not turning the ship around yet and Eli pretends he's on the bridge of a star destroyer.

We humans can not have better anti-hijacking security than the Ancients.
                            sigpic
                            Doci of the BAG

Comment

They do have a chance... they have Eli's iPhone and are pretty close to the Constellation of Kasterborous... We've seen it done once, it can be done again.

10 points to whoever gets what i'm on about.

Comment

Working...
                              X