This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Carson Becket - Former drugaddict?

I distinctively got the impression in "The Hive" that Carson had an intimate and personal knowledge about how it would be to be addicted to a drug, and how it must feel to go "cold turkey". Atleast much more than one could get by just reading about it.

What do you think?

Mm, I got the impression that that was just based on his medical knowledge rather than personal experience, as he's likely seen people suffering withdrawal before in his career.

Comment

I asked Paul McGillion about this once when I had the chance to meet him.

From the Gateworld transcript;

McKAY (frantically and hysterically): You have no idea of the agony I'm going through.

(Carson looks down at him sympathetically.)

BECKETT: Oh, I have an inkling.
      I thought that Beckett may have dealing with drugs in the past and McGillion said no, nothing to do with drugs but that thought dealing McKay (I believe in this situation) was more than enough to let him know how bad McKay was feeling.

It's been a few years but I do remember that no to Beckett having a drug history, and that he had "an inkling" that it was bad thanks to McKay and I guess by extension his previous dealings with Ford.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Bald'r View Post
        I distinctively got the impression in "The Hive" that Carson had an intimate and personal knowledge about how it would be to be addicted to a drug, and how it must feel to go "cold turkey". Atleast much more than one could get by just reading about it.

What do you think?
        I wondered the same thing when I saw it, and it would have been a very interesting angle to go with, but alas will never be.......

Comment

I would say not... I'm sure as a doctor he's seen people go through the process before or at least studied it...
          sigpic

See ya at the con, baby! (L.A. '11) (L.A. '10) (L.A. '09) (Burbank '08) (Burbank '07)

Comment

I recall Carson taking far too many "stims" in an early episode.
            Mongoletsi is bigger than hip...hop...

Comment

I don't think so. He is a doctor they can take away your license for that I think
              ZPM Odyssey

sigpic

Help continue the MALPs in the MALP room song

http://forum.gateworld.net/showthrea...MALP-room-song

Comment

I took it as more of a joke, with Carson meaning that he had an inkling because of how bad Rodney was complaining and that Rodney's complaining was just as bad as Rodney's withdrawl... Never thought about it in terms of Carson being an addict.

Proud supporter of His holy BAGness!

Comment

Working...
                X