"At least a dozen times"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"At least a dozen times"

Numerous times Young talked about how he'd done this thing or that thing 15 times, or 20 times or a dozen times.

Anyone think he has actually done all those things as much as he said he did?

My guess is it was a lot of exaggeration in order to 1) make Scott feel more confident about the situation and 2) as a coping mechanism to deal with the pressure.

As this is Young's first command, you can tell he's having issues coping with all that goes with that. The end of the episode especially showed this as he just walked away from all the problems. While he's trying to put on a strong show, you can tell he's struggling.

Originally posted by Arlan View Post
    Numerous times Young talked about how he'd done this thing or that thing 15 times, or 20 times or a dozen times.

My guess is it was a lot of exaggeration in order to 1) make Scott feel more confident about the situation and 2) as a coping mechanism to deal with the pressure.

As this is Young's first command, you can tell he's having issues coping with all that goes with that. The end of the episode especially showed this as he just walked away from all the problems. While he's trying to put on a strong show, you can tell he's struggling.
    I did think that Young may have been exaggerating on the exact number of times he's mined ice but I think that he has done that kind of an off-world op before. However, I don't recall any lines from any episode establishing that this is Young's first command. He may have simply not wanted to deal with Park, Volker, and Brody at that time.
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Cold Fuzz View Post
      However, I don't recall any lines from any episode establishing that this is Young's first command.
      In Air during a flashback with his wife discussing taking the assignment at Icarus Base instead of retiring because it was a chance at command.

Comment

I quite liked that banter between Young and Scott. For this to be Young's first command, I found their interactions on the ice planet to show Young's quite the seasoned leader.

Maybe I missed a moment, but how long was Young in command of Icarus Base?

Comment

I think he was joking around an making fun of the fact that either of them have done ice mining in a carbon dioxide atmosphere with plasma cutters in ancient suits before.

Comment

He was joking, and it was just a funny aside... Until he said he left people behind "too many times"... That was great.
            ~ When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade. Make life take back the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons! What am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! WITH THE LEMONS! I'm gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that BURNS YOUR HOUSE DOWN! ~

~ Burning people! He says what we're all thinking! ~

Comment

I got the impression Young was trying to inspire confidence by a little off-the-cuff exaggeration. He's really turning out to be my favorite character so far, though he certainly does seem to have his struggles too. I didn't quite get the "message" at the end with Young ignoring the various bureaucratic issues that he's obviously faced with. Perhaps he was tired, perhaps as mentioned before he's having difficulty with his position, perhaps he thinks those concerns are trivial, perhaps it's something else entirely. The scene just threw me because I wasn't quite sure what the writers were going for.

I can also see there's an oncoming collision between Young and Rush. They operate from entirely different philosophies, and I'm curious to see just what it is that finally snaps between the two of them.

Comment

Originally posted by Gallienus View Post
                I got the impression Young was trying to inspire confidence by a little off-the-cuff exaggeration. He's really turning out to be my favorite character so far, though he certainly does seem to have his struggles too. I didn't quite get the "message" at the end with Young ignoring the various bureaucratic issues that he's obviously faced with. Perhaps he was tired, perhaps as mentioned before he's having difficulty with his position, perhaps he thinks those concerns are trivial, perhaps it's something else entirely. The scene just threw me because I wasn't quite sure what the writers were going for.

I can also see there's an oncoming collision between Young and Rush. They operate from entirely different philosophies, and I'm curious to see just what it is that finally snaps between the two of them.
                I would vote for the concerns being trivial, at least compared to arranging a funeral if that soldier actually died( I'm not sure, I'll probably have to watch it again sometime today. I love my DVR).

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff-B View Post
                  I would vote for the concerns being trivial, at least compared to arranging a funeral if that soldier actually died( I'm not sure, I'll probably have to watch it again sometime today. I love my DVR).
                  well he did die, other than that...I approve Jeff's comment.
                  By Nolamom
                  sigpic

Comment

Dude, they were joking around
                    BSG (Drama/Soap Opera)

Soap Opera: The main characteristics that define soap operas are "an emphasis on family life, personal relationships, sexual dramas, emotional and moral conflicts; some coverage of topical issues; set in familiar domestic interiors with only occasional excursions into new locations

Drama: A drama film is a film genre that depends mostly on in-depth development of realistic characters dealing with emotional themes

SG1/SGA are not Drama/Soap although some elements are touched on to add depth to these action/adventure series. If you want to see a show focused on Soap/Drama go watch BSG or Days of our Lives.

Comment

Originally posted by aretood2 View Post
                      well he did die, other than that...I approve Jeff's comment.
                      That's got to be a challenge for a commander. Trying to find kind words to say about someone who basically died from his own stupidity( or intense fear, which would make him a terrible soldier to begin with).

Comment

Originally posted by Bytor View Post
                        Dude, they were joking around
                        At first yes, but the joking stops when they're trying to get Scott out of the ice and when they're talking about the number of people he's lost in the line of duty.

Comment

You'll notice that he increased the number of times he'd done things each time. It started with "A couple times", then something like "at least 5 times", then "at least a dozen times".

I think a lot of it was trying to make Scott feel more at ease, especially when he fell through the ice. And it was the perfect setup for Scott to interject with "Sir, you and I both know you've done this before", referring to losing members of his team.
                          Sig by Pandora's Box
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff-B View Post
                            That's got to be a challenge for a commander. Trying to find kind words to say about someone who basically died from his own stupidity( or intense fear, which would make him a terrible soldier to begin with).
                            Actually he died because TJ decided not to share the information about the sand creatures. And why would feeling fear make him a bad soldier?

Comment

i think young put in time on off world teams, but is possibly a newly promoted colonel. In his argument with his wife he said that it was a chance at a command (although there is a difference between commanding a team and commanding a base, so it's possible that he commanded a team, on which TJ and Scott were members, and when he got command of Icarus base, they followed him)

he also told Emily (his wife) that the assignment would last a year, so he's less than a year into his command of hte base (likely just a few months, six or less)

Even if he commanded an SG team these last few years...you know, other than the ori threat it's been implied that hte SGC is 'tamer' now than it was in the 'good old days' of SG-1. less goa'uld, more exploration.

did young fudge about how many times he's done stuff? sure. who wouldn't? you fudge and exaggerate, especially when you're dealing with a life and death situation and trying to keep someone's mental state ok
                              Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X