Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does the Destiny have automatic mining facilities?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It would make sense that the seeder ships that were sent out would have advanced automatic mining facilities. They would need to gather the resources needed for stargates. I'm imagining that rings could be used to tunnel the matter from the surface to the ship. I think that the Destiny should also have some mining facilities to keep the ship well stocked on supplies for hull repair, kinos, and crew amenities when the Ancients would have performed minor status updates on the state of their network ships. I just don't foresee them continue on the path of human mining for supplies. I'm sure the Ancients planned for emergency situations when the visiting crew members were temporarily cut off from dialing back to the Milky Way. What will the crew do when the Destiny stops at a planet with liquid fresh water?

go for a swim and have a bath

Comment

Originally posted by pipi View Post
      go for a swim and have a bath
      They probably didn't pack their bathing suits... that could make for some good TV.

Comment

Originally posted by DetriusXii View Post
        It would make sense that the seeder ships that were sent out would have advanced automatic mining facilities. They would need to gather the resources needed for stargates. I'm imagining that rings could be used to tunnel the matter from the surface to the ship. I think that the Destiny should also have some mining facilities to keep the ship well stocked on supplies for hull repair, kinos, and crew amenities when the Ancients would have performed minor status updates on the state of their network ships. I just don't foresee them continue on the path of human mining for supplies. I'm sure the Ancients planned for emergency situations when the visiting crew members were temporarily cut off from dialing back to the Milky Way. What will the crew do when the Destiny stops at a planet with liquid fresh water?
        IMHO, it's more likely that Destiny is programed for self preservation as opposed to providing for a crew.

When Destiny needed to recharge, it drooped out of FTL near a star it could use, all by itself.

When Calcium carbonate and fresh water was needed Destiny didn't stop automatically, but only when told there was a need. And then, had the crew go get it. Kind of like, "Oh you need water? OK here's a planet, go knock yourself out."

Makes you wonder who's really in charge...

Comment

"Could they be the miners?"
          "Sure, they're like three years old."
          "MINERS, not MINORS."
          "You lost me."

Comment

I don't know how much the ancients put into this ship. It was obviously an experiment, kind of like some of the other Ancient devices we saw at the tail end of SG1 and a few in Atlantis. If it wasn't super important that would explain why they moved on to other things and abandoned it. Could have been the idea that they would have had constant contact via stargate and had no need to equip the ship with heavy and very possibly unnecessary mining equipment. The ancients also might have planned a "packing list" of things they figured they would bring with them through the stargate the first time onto the ship loading it up with the newest equipment. Just some ideas.

Comment

In any case, remember the ship is still in 'wander' mode. They have very little control over the ship. Presumably the ancients would have put the ship on 'active crew commands' when they got an board and taken it off automatic cruse control..

Comment

Originally posted by BriGuy View Post
                In any case, remember the ship is still in 'wander' mode. They have very little control over the ship. Presumably the ancients would have put the ship on 'active crew commands' when they got an board and taken it off automatic cruse control..
                They would most likely have found the bridge aswell.
                sigpic

Comment

i dont think rush 'told' the ship they needed somethign to repair the CO2 scrubbers or even water...well not liek he typed in "we need water"

i think that when he was running searches on the life support and filtration systems the ship scaned itself and realised it needed those things, so found a planet.

it essentially put the two things together and figured out what was going on

Comment

Originally posted by escyos View Post
                    i dont think rush 'told' the ship they needed somethign to repair the CO2 scrubbers or even water...well not liek he typed in "we need water"

i think that when he was running searches on the life support and filtration systems the ship scaned itself and realised it needed those things, so found a planet.

it essentially put the two things together and figured out what was going on
                    Yea but Rush likes taking credit more that the Destiny does.
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by reddevil18 View Post
                      "Could they be the miners?"
                      "Sure, they're like three years old."
                      "MINERS, not MINORS."
                      "You lost me."

That is a great movie xD

Ronon looses his temper over the weapons console and starts punching it
                      Sheppard: Easy, Chewie! Those buttons are your friends! Just keep trying!
                      Ronon: I'M TRYING!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by IcarusAbides View Post
                        Yea but Rush likes taking credit more that the Destiny does.
                        He seems to be taking all the credit. Poor ship, getting no recognition.

Comment

I just realized that maybe water collection should have been done differently.

We know that the Destiny can scoop up matter. It's also been in a gas giant's upper atmosphere.

Here's my solution to their water problem:

Visit gas giant, scoop up hydrogen,
                          visit high oxygen planet, scoop up oxygen,
                          combine to make fuel for ship. Water is the waste product from the reaction.

This would have been the easiest and most logical way of collecting water. One would think that the Ancients would have programmed this method of energy collection when the Destiny was low on water reserves.

Comment

not yet
                            https://twitter.com/#!/Solar_wind84

Comment

I hope it doesn't. That would be a minor disaster.
                              "Most people who are watching TV are semi-catatonic. They're not fully alive." - U.S. District Court Judge Timothy Batten Sr.
                              Ronald Greer is also a medic. Your argument is invalid.
                              Originally posted by J-Whitt Remastered
                              Secondly, I think that everything DigiFluid is good.
                              Sandcastle Builder: The game of XKCD: Time

Comment

Working...
                              X