Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The hyperdrive

Hello!

This thread may seem stupid but it is one thing that I just can not understand.The battleships used by Earth are driven by Asgard hyper drives. They can take a ship 3 million light years to Atlantis from Earth in 18 days. That means they can travel almost two light years per second.

In the first episode of SGU when they beamed up Eli on George Hammond they were going to a planet 21 light years away. They would have been there within 15 seconds.

But in the episode it seems like it is taking a much longer time.

Does anyone know why? Is it some fact with the hyper drive technology that I have missed?

the events of Air part 1 take place 1 week after the events of the Atlantis series finale "Enemy at the Gates" where all of the earth ships were severely damaged. the only ship remotely close to being functional was the George Hammond, which wasn't completed at the time. I am assuming that if it wasn't usable a week before that most of the systems were not online or were not at peak efficiency. since they were using it only to ferry people they most likely did whatever it took to make it space worthy and get people where they needed to go. The trip only seemed to take a few hours.

Also the Asgard hyperdrives only went that fast with a ZPM attached, and most of earths ZPM's are either nearly depleted or being used to keep Atlantis cloaked in San Francisco bay.

Comment

Originally posted by Lanter1000 View Post
      Hello!

Does anyone know why? Is it some fact with the hyper drive technology that I have missed?
      Writing goof. They explained the weapons, but not the weak shields or hyperdrive. Even the ol' Prometheus could get there in a few minutes.

Comment

It is just a continuity error.

Comment

Originally posted by Captain Obvious View Post
          the events of Air part 1 take place 1 week after the events of the Atlantis series finale "Enemy at the Gates" where all of the earth ships were severely damaged.
          Source?

Comment

I don't have the exact citation, but it came from Mallozzi's blog.

The /only/ reason the Hammond was in service AT ALL was the fact that all three Earth 304's (Daedalus, Apollo and Sun-Tzu) were out of comission following the Superhive attack. For all practical reasons, they put the Hammond together with Duct Tape and sent it out for simple ferry duty.

Comment

Originally posted by ColCaldwell View Post
              Source?
              JM's blog
              Originally posted by aretood2
              Jelgate is right

Comment

Also the Asgard hyperdrives only went that fast with a ZPM attached, and most of earths ZPM's are either nearly depleted or being used to keep Atlantis cloaked in San Francisco bay.
                It does take 18 days to get from Atlantis to Earth, the Daedalus did it in 4 days with a ZPM powering it.
                Does it say Colonel anywhere on my uniform?

Comment

Originally posted by Ranlier View Post
                  I don't have the exact citation, but it came from Mallozzi's blog.

The /only/ reason the Hammond was in service AT ALL was the fact that all three Earth 304's (Daedalus, Apollo and Sun-Tzu) were out of comission following the Superhive attack. For all practical reasons, they put the Hammond together with Duct Tape and sent it out for simple ferry duty.
                  we still got odyssey as well don't we.....i don't recall it gettin destroyed and ive watched sg-1 and atlantis plenty of times

Comment

Originally posted by kinseySG View Post
                    we still got odyssey as well don't we.....i don't recall it gettin destroyed and ive watched sg-1 and atlantis plenty of times
                    No, it was on "A super secret mission" Code named Plot device no doubt.

Comment

Well, in one of the Daniel Jackson videos, they explain that ships in hyperspace obey different rules and can accelerate to many times the speed of light. I emphasize the term accelerate because we can then actually get a reasonable time-frame.

First, we know that ships do not have to decelerate to leave hyperspace (e.g., when they loose power). However, let us assume for a moment that ships in hyperspace:

a) start out "at rest" and have to accelerate to whatever speed they would normally travel

and

b) there is no top speed

Under these conditions, distance traveled would be roughly a*(t^2)/2. Using the 18 day, 3,000,000 light-year trip to Atlantis as a basis, we find that a BC-304 has an acceleration of 32 light-years/(hour^2). Applying this to the 21 light-year distance between Earth and Icarus, we find a travel time of roughly 1 hour and 10 minutes.
                      "From East Middle School. Suzumiya Haruhi. I have no interest in ordinary humans. If there are any aliens, time travelers, sliders, or espers here, come join me."
                      - The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya; Best Character Introduction Ever.

"And can we lose the ten thousand year old dead plants?!"
                      - Stargate: Atlantis (1x03) "Hide and Seek"

"Hammerheads do not load/unload units immediately – they must descend to ground level first. Initial experiments involving jump-jetting infantry into the Hammerhead’s cargo compartment met with unfortunate results."
                      - Command&Conquer 3: Kane's Wrath Hammerhead Unit Spotlight

Comment

Dude, I have absolutely no idea what that means
                        Mongoletsi is bigger than hip...hop...

Comment

there's something i picked up at the very start of Air part 1 when destiny appears, it sounds like a ship dropping out of hyperspace and not the destiny ftl drive we see later which sounds very different to the hyperspace sound. Maybe the destiny has a hyperdrive but for some reason it is now flying in FTL.

Comment

Working...
                          X