PDA

View Full Version : Jaffa as Goa'uld host?

zackmail
June 8th, 2004, 08:24 PM
Don't know if this has been covered before , but what happens if a Goauld were to take over a Jaffa? Would the little snake in its belly be expelled a la Alien style? can it even take over the Jaffa as a host?

( like if the original hosts body were to be injured and the choice was dying or jumping into the Jaffa..)

Torley
June 8th, 2004, 10:30 PM
Yeah, good question. There's a blank in my mind right now because if this HAS been addressed on the show or by the official word of the writers, then I haven't seen the episode or read the interview.

Hey, come to think about it... I wonder if more than one Goa'uld could take control a host? Like two Goa'ulds are better (worse!?) than one ;)?

Do Goa'uld themselves have perfect health with the symbiote wrapped around the spine and into the brain of the host? (Apart from the sarcophagus thing.)

uknesvuinng
June 8th, 2004, 11:10 PM
It has been covered in a few episodes, though the only one I can remember right now is "1969". A Goa'uld cannot take over a Jaffa that still has a primta. However, Teal'c said in "1969" that if his symbiote matured, it would take over his body. So a jaffa can be a host, but only if he has no symbiote.

bcmilco
June 8th, 2004, 11:14 PM
AFAIK a goa'uld can't take a Jaffa as a host I think it has something to do with physiology. That's why goa'uld have human (and not a Jaffa) servents because it's handy to have a potential host around if they need one. (Summit/Last Stand)

Elwe Singollo
June 8th, 2004, 11:20 PM
Thanks for clearing that up for me BCM:) And also, in that one episode where Teal'c fights off with a leader of rebel Jaffa, it turned out he wasn't a Jaffa, but a Goa'uld. I think that the Goa'uld don't have the big X's in their stomach, while the Jaffa do?

Anubis
June 8th, 2004, 11:28 PM
I think they all have the big X on them for the symbiote to be removed if needed

Torley
June 8th, 2004, 11:29 PM
Yeah the big X would kind of ruin the "perfection" of the body for some Goa'uld who are particularly vain.

uknesvuinng, based on what you said, it seems to imply then that a symbiote either in the pouch or wrapped around the spine -- either way! -- will grant the benefits of health and all that, right? I guess it makes sense looking at other examples like Jacob Carter. Hmmm.

Elwe Singollo
June 8th, 2004, 11:33 PM
I think they all have the big X on them for the symbiote to be removed if neededSo your saying even the To'kra/Goa'uld have the big X?

In that episode, To'kra part 2 where Selmak transferred into Jacob, the symbiote went from and through a mouth. Is that a only 'To'kra' thing to do?

Torley
June 8th, 2004, 11:36 PM
If memory serves me correctly, Tok'ra choose the mouth because they find making a scar through the back of the body to be distatesful and a sign of "forced entry".

Elwe Singollo
June 8th, 2004, 11:39 PM
If memory serves me correctly, Tok'ra choose the mouth because they find making a scar through the back of the body to be distatesful and a sign of "forced entry".I meant when leaving the body :)

Torley
June 8th, 2004, 11:43 PM
Oh, good question. :)

Well... hmmm if a host ceases to be useful to a Goa'uld, it prolly wouldn't care a whole lot and would exit the body the most convenient way available -- especially if it was during a heated battle or something. I don't know for sure.

Elwe Singollo
June 8th, 2004, 11:49 PM
Oh, good question. :)

Well... hmmm if a host ceases to be useful to a Goa'uld, it prolly wouldn't care a whole lot and would exit the body the most convenient way available -- especially if it was during a heated battle or something. I don't know for sure.The whole thing gives me a headache.

bcmilco
June 8th, 2004, 11:53 PM
Only Jaffa have the 'X' on the body because they are basically just living incubators ;)

Goa'uld enter through the back of the neck, usually, probably because it's easier to surprise a person from behind and force their way in.

Tok'ra enter through the mouth because they feel that the back of the neck is "forced entry" and it doesn't leave an ugly scar.

as for leaving the body, AFAIK goa'uld and tok'ra will leave the easiest way posible, which I would normally assume to be the mouth because the goa'uld/tok'ra would be able to see who is infront of/around them right before they "detached" from the host.

Of course I could be wrong on some of those points ;)

Elwe Singollo
June 8th, 2004, 11:55 PM
AFAIK goa'uld and tok'ra...I understood and agree with your whole post, but this caught my attention. What exactly is AFAIK? Is it... 'As far as i know' ? I just want to make sure :)

Torley
June 9th, 2004, 12:01 AM
Yes, that's what it stands for!

Elwe Singollo
June 9th, 2004, 12:03 AM
Thanks Torley :)

I've been going around threads seeing that, and i'm like "What?"

zackmail
June 9th, 2004, 12:44 AM
I guess I kinda figured they would be able to enter the hosts body and then rip out the snake from the stomach, after all its just an immature baby and the goauld aren't all that "parental"

Skydiver
June 9th, 2004, 04:53 AM
well, you're right. in 1969 teal'c said if junior grew up, he'd take him as a host. then in the tomb, he said he couldn't be blended while he had junior. (i'm presuming tomean that humans are a single occupancy dwelling. they can't host a snake and incubate one at the same time)

my guess is, like in the case of k'tano, the goa'uld ripped the snake from the jaffa's pouch (something relatively easy to do) then took him as host.

as to the X. i'm sure there will be a scar, but in bane janet said 'the pouch was already starting to heal' so i'd imagine they're like piercings, if there's not something in them to keep them open, they'll eventually grow over

Crazedwraith
June 9th, 2004, 06:53 AM
well, you're right. in 1969 teal'c said if junior grew up, he'd take him as a host. then in the tomb, he said he couldn't be blended while he had junior. (i'm presuming tomean that humans are a single occupancy dwelling. they can't host a snake and incubate one at the same time)

my guess is, like in the case of k'tano, the goa'uld ripped the snake from the jaffa's pouch (something relatively easy to do) then took him as host.
Or he just slapped a gold "v" on his own forhead and killed his first prime. Since Imotep was a minor goa'uld no rebel Jaffa is lilely to know hos or his first primes face and be able to call his bluff.

Skydiver
June 9th, 2004, 09:25 AM
Or he just slapped a gold "v" on his own forhead and killed his first prime. Since Imotep was a minor goa'uld no rebel Jaffa is lilely to know hos or his first primes face and be able to call his bluff.

that's possible, but i thought that k'tano portrayed himself as a first prime who'd killed his goauld and led his men to freedom, so it was in his advantage to possess k'tano and impersonate a jaffa rather than starting off having to establish his credibility

bcmilco
June 9th, 2004, 11:45 AM
i'm presuming tomean that humans are a single occupancy dwelling. they can't host a snake and incubate one at the same time

"single occupancy dwlling." I like the way you put that ;)

As for K'tano after he was killed he didn't have an "X" there wasn't even a scar, his stomach was completely normal so I always assumed that he was the original goa'uld and just offed his first prime.

Elwe Singollo
June 9th, 2004, 11:47 AM
"single occupancy dwlling." I like the way you put that ;)
Yah i liked that too :)

taupecat
June 9th, 2004, 12:03 PM

as to the X. i'm sure there will be a scar, but in bane janet said 'the pouch was already starting to heal' so i'd imagine they're like piercings, if there's not something in them to keep them open, they'll eventually grow over

So, if the Jaffa are just modified humans, then it makes sense that they can be a host, just so long as they don't have their own "Junior" at the time.

What always confused me was when Hathor turned O'Neill into a Jaffa, but then he was "healed" from that using a sarcophagus. Has no one ever thought to try this with Teal'c? I mean, I know sarcophagi are hard to come by, but Daniel always seems to find one when he needs one. Or is this a horse that's already been beaten to death?

What I've never been able to reconcile is Teal'c's comments in "1969" about how his symbiote will overtake him, and Shaun'ac's situation in "Crossroads". Didn't she have to get her junior out because it was fully mature and couldn't stay in her any longer? I seem to remember she went through quite a bit of pain at the time. Why wouldn't it have taken her over instead?

MadJaffa
June 9th, 2004, 12:19 PM
So, if the Jaffa are just modified humans, then it makes sense that they can be a host, just so long as they don't have their own "Junior" at the time.

What always confused me was when Hathor turned O'Neill into a Jaffa, but then he was "healed" from that using a sarcophagus. Has no one ever thought to try this with Teal'c? I mean, I know sarcophagi are hard to come by, but Daniel always seems to find one when he needs one. Or is this a horse that's already been beaten to death?

What I've never been able to reconcile is Teal'c's comments in "1969" about how his symbiote will overtake him, and Shaun'ac's situation in "Crossroads". Didn't she have to get her junior out because it was fully mature and couldn't stay in her any longer? I seem to remember she went through quite a bit of pain at the time. Why wouldn't it have taken her over instead?

O'Neill, as I understand it was modified to be a Jaffa, in essence "first-generation." Teal'c meanwhile, was Jaffa because his parents were, "muti-generation." Teal'c could not be "healed" because he was born with it, it was his scar. The sarcophagus can not heal scars (Apothis season 4 scar). While Jack's pouch was an open wound.

Shaun'ac's symbiote was trying to be "nice" and not take her as a host. If it did there would have been a chance she would not survive. But its instinct was to blend, like a frog still undrwater with the tadpoles, the symbiote could not breath.

Skydiver
June 9th, 2004, 12:47 PM
actually, i think tanith didn't take shonac over because it wanted to get into the tok'ra. and it possibly had that goauld/jaffa mindset that females were 'lesser' hosts

Torley
June 9th, 2004, 12:54 PM
O'Neill, as I understand it was modified to be a Jaffa, in essence "first-generation." Teal'c meanwhile, was Jaffa because his parents were, "muti-generation." Teal'c could not be "healed" because he was born with it, it was his scar. The sarcophagus can not heal scars (Apothis season 4 scar). While Jack's pouch was an open wound.

Now THAT is interesting because I've been wondering about it... whether the sarcophagus will treat deformities and things like that. I haven't seen all of the Apophis episodes but when I was first introduced to the show, I found it odd that in some pictures his face was covered up with metal plating.

They must have really good plastic surgeons in some cases, then, because over thousands of years some very long-living Goa'uld must have been in a lot of battles, and had some sort of wounds they couldn't treat right away by leaping into the nearest open sarcophagus. They haven't explained it exactly on the show but it's one of those things that gets more messy the more words are attached to it ;)

Mr Prophet
June 9th, 2004, 01:26 PM
But the sarcophagus will correct vision.

Hmm; it probably would get rid of scars and old Jaffa pouches, but only if you were run through the thing so many times that poor old Teal'c would be running around without a symbiote, but instead trying to eat people's brains or something. The Goa'uld go through the sarc time and again, usually while their wounds are still fresh, and moreover their scars probably fade with time.

MadJaffa
June 9th, 2004, 01:26 PM
actually, i think tanith didn't take shonac over because it wanted to get into the tok'ra. and it possibly had that goauld/jaffa mindset that females were 'lesser' hosts

Well yeah, he was actting "nice" because he wanted to get in, notice the quotaion marks indicatin sacasam.

Mr Prophet
June 9th, 2004, 01:35 PM
Tanith didn't take Shan'auc as a host because Teal'c had to have his grieving vengeance.

Shan'auc getting taken would have been prime angst, but a bit...well, a bit Daniel really.

Torley
June 9th, 2004, 04:56 PM
The most screwed-up Teal'c (apart from brainwashing) was the "wrong" one from "Tin Man"! No need for a sarc to get like that -- that's rage!!

Jprime
June 10th, 2004, 05:28 AM
All I know is that those pouches look awesome and I want one!

Teal'c
June 10th, 2004, 12:05 PM
OK, to clear things up:

Jaffa can be taken as hosts, but not if they are carrying a symbiote (Of course, if they're not carrying a symiote they'll die anyway :P)

Tanith didn't take Shaun'ac as a host because she needed to teach more symbiotes how to be good little snakes :P

The sarc healed Jack because all the stuff Hathor did was physical, but with Jaffa the pouch is genetically built-in, so the Sarc doesn't heal it.

Charles17
July 11th, 2005, 10:27 AM
cuz in 1969 teal'c said that if he couldnt get a new symbiote, jr would take over him as a host. but in a later episode i remember carter saying that the jaffa cannot be taken as hosts, kinda like in shaunac's case where tanith didnt take her as a host. does anyone know if the jaffa biologically cannot be taken as hosts, or do the goauld just dont like taking jaffa as hosts?

oragans
July 11th, 2005, 10:32 AM
i know the symbiote in jaffas body can (season 2 1969) but i dont know if another one can.

The Ultimate Obsession
July 11th, 2005, 10:33 AM
Well I know they used to be not able to be taken but now, witht the tretonin who knows?

buckner
July 11th, 2005, 10:34 AM
he ment the goauld inside of him would take him over making him a goauld and not a jaffa

Beatrice Otter
July 11th, 2005, 10:34 AM
i know the symbiote in jaffas body can (season 2 1969) but i dont know if another one can.
I'd say probably yes, but only by kicking the prim'tah out. Canon is conflicted, though (as noted above), so you're welcome to come up with your own explanation.

mazzmatazz
July 11th, 2005, 10:36 AM
One word.

Imhotep.

TheUniqueDrone
July 11th, 2005, 10:58 AM
One word.

Imhotep.

I thought that Imhotep's host was human, and so Imhotep was masquerading as his Jaffa First Prime, while in the human host. If that's the case, it doesn't solve anything, though I might be wrong.

TheUniqueDrone
July 11th, 2005, 10:59 AM
Sorry, posted twice by accident :o.

Qasim
July 11th, 2005, 11:54 AM
cuz in 1969 teal'c said that if he couldnt get a new symbiote, jr would take over him as a host. but in a later episode i remember carter saying that the jaffa cannot be taken as hosts, kinda like in shaunac's case where tanith didnt take her as a host. does anyone know if the jaffa biologically cannot be taken as hosts, or do the goauld just dont like taking jaffa as hosts?The series gives us conflicting signals perhaps we should ask Joe Mallozzi to clear the matter up.

AGateFan
July 11th, 2005, 03:33 PM
I thought that Imhotep's host was human, and so Imhotep was masquerading as his Jaffa First Prime, while in the human host. If that's the case, it doesn't solve anything, though I might be wrong.

This is correct as we can see since it is on sci fi right now. Imhotep is human he does not have a bouch at the end when tea'lc kills him.

I think a Jaffa cannot be taken as a host while he has a primta in him. As for being taken over by his own primta, I guess he can because teal'c did say that would happen in 1969.

MasterPower
July 11th, 2005, 04:21 PM
No, I remember watching an episode when someone said a symbiote cannot blend with a jaffa.

Skydiver
July 11th, 2005, 04:34 PM
a symbiote cannot blend with a jaffa while he has a primta

basically, a human is a single occupancy dwelling

they can carry a primta OR be a host, but not both at the same time

now, let's say teal'c is stranded on an deserted planet and junior is ready to take a host, rather than die, junior will take teal'c as host. (yeah, iknow 1969 is inconsistent. course they also had daniel being 4 1/2 which wasn't possible since it was summer and his birthday is in july)

in imhotep's case, i believe that the goauld took the primta out of k'tano, then took k'tano as host, maintaining the masquerade that k'tano was still a jaffa

AGateFan
July 11th, 2005, 05:03 PM
a symbiote cannot blend with a jaffa while he has a primta

basically, a human is a single occupancy dwelling

they can carry a primta OR be a host, but not both at the same time

now, let's say teal'c is stranded on an deserted planet and junior is ready to take a host, rather than die, junior will take teal'c as host. (yeah, iknow 1969 is inconsistent. course they also had daniel being 4 1/2 which wasn't possible since it was summer and his birthday is in july)

in imhotep's case, i believe that the goauld took the primta out of k'tano, then took k'tano as host, maintaining the masquerade that k'tano was still a jaffa

But at the end of the show Raknor pulls open K'tanos shirt and their is no pouch and he even says "hes not jaffa"... so I agree with everything you said except the last part. Imhotep was Imhotep he just was pretending to be a jaffa and since he was such a minor gou'ld no one noticed it was him.

Skydiver
July 11th, 2005, 06:46 PM
that could have two explanations

yes, inhotep just took on the personna of k'tano - but how do you explain all the jaffa following him?

my interpretation was that imhotep took the body of his first prime as host. and to do that, he took out and killed the man's primta

he had no pouch because the goauld healed it. remember in bane? janet had to surgically re-open teal'c's pouch after it started to heal

rook818
July 11th, 2005, 06:59 PM
cuz in 1969 teal'c said that if he couldnt get a new symbiote, jr would take over him as a host. but in a later episode i remember carter saying that the jaffa cannot be taken as hosts, kinda like in shaunac's case where tanith didnt take her as a host. does anyone know if the jaffa biologically cannot be taken as hosts, or do the goauld just dont like taking jaffa as hosts?

Darn those writers. I'm sure it's just a slip up. To quote the Wizard of Oz, "Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain..." ;)

AGateFan
July 11th, 2005, 07:02 PM
that could have two explanations

yes, inhotep just took on the personna of k'tano - but how do you explain all the jaffa following him?

my interpretation was that imhotep took the body of his first prime as host. and to do that, he took out and killed the man's primta

he had no pouch because the goauld healed it. remember in bane? janet had to surgically re-open teal'c's pouch after it started to heal

Well since a Jaffa said he was not a Jaffa I am going to go with the "hes not a Jaffa" explanation.

mazzmatazz
July 11th, 2005, 11:36 PM
It isn't very clear in The Warrior, but I am going with Skydiver's explanation, because the pouch could heal. I checked it out on the web before I posted before, and several sources say that K'Tano was Imhotep's First Prime, so how can he disguise himself AS K'Tano unless he TAKES OVER K'Tano?

Skydiver
July 13th, 2005, 12:52 PM
here's joe's answere, which really doesnt' answer our question since it can be interpreted to mean both that k'tano was just imhotep in disguise or that imhotep took up residence in ktano's body

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydiver
Hi Joe

a quick question about an old episode. In The Warrior we have been debating.....was K'tano/Imhotep a goauld who pretended to be first prime or did the snake take his own first prime as host to hide, presumably removing the first prime's primta to take up residence himself ?

He was a goa'uld.

sg1 volgman
July 13th, 2005, 12:54 PM
as sam says in "the first ones", "Teal'cs the only one we can be sure isn't a host".

So jaffa can't be hosts

Charles17
July 13th, 2005, 03:20 PM
not necessarily... i thought she just meant that a goauld from the waters of that planet couldnt jump into teal'c so long as teal'c had one in his belly. theyd duke it out inside teal'c and probably die... thats what i thought

AGateFan
July 13th, 2005, 03:21 PM
as sam says in "the first ones", "Teal'cs the only one we can be sure isn't a host".

So jaffa can't be hosts

At least not while the "occupied" sign is out (aka, jaffa has a primta)
Although I think Imhotep was just pretending to be K'Tano and no Jaffa highjacking was involved, but we will never know for sure.

Skydiver
July 13th, 2005, 06:09 PM
not necessarily... i thought she just meant that a goauld from the waters of that planet couldnt jump into teal'c so long as teal'c had one in his belly. theyd duke it out inside teal'c and probably die... thats what i thought

that's how i've always interpreted it. now one of my first fic that i ever wrote had a goauld jumping into tealc' and taking him as a host (and i get feedback telling me that i'm wrong....thing is it was written back in s2-3 and jaffa not being taken by the goauld wasn't canon for a few more years...so it was right at the time)

How i see it, a jaffa can only carry one symbiote at a time, be it an immature one in a pouch or a mature one wrapped around his/her spine.

now, personally, i don't see it as a far stretch for a goauld to remove a jaffa's primta and then take that jaffa as a host, especially if it was the choice between doing that or dying.

i don't believe you can be a goauld AND jaffa at the same time, but teal'c's comments in 1969 suggest that a snake can take a jaffa as a host, they just have to empty the pouch first.

knocknashee
July 14th, 2005, 04:39 AM
Can't remember what they are called, but in Summit, Lord Yu had a human servant who was there to be taken as a host, should his existing host's body be too badly damaged to heal...Daniel took his place to spy on the summit...

I'd assume that all System Lords, and important Goa'uld would have one...

Lexx
July 14th, 2005, 05:54 AM
It sure is an interesting question. On the one hand we have "1969", which explicitly says a Jaffa can be taken as a host. On the other hand we have "Crossroads", which has Shau'nac almost dieing because Tanith is completely mature and needs a host. Also, in "Enemies" one of Apophis' Jaffa is complaining that when their current symbiotes mature, they all will die since there will be no new Prim'tah. Since there won't really be an abundancy of hosts bodies, the mature symbiotes would logically take over the Jaffa if they could. Any Jaffa (at least back then) would've been overjoyed at the thought of living in communion with one of his or her God's. Has anyone asked definitively in Joe's thread whether or not Jaffa can be taken as hosts? Because if no one has......

wolverine_nl
July 14th, 2005, 06:32 AM
Well, someone should ask Joe, it's a bit confusing. And about K'tano/Imhotep. Imhotep controlled K'tano all the way, the theory that the host is K'tano, I think is true, but I don't think that Imhotep was hiding in K'tano. K'tano would notice that his pouch was closed and he would probably not act like a Goa'uld wearing Jaffa clothes and sending other Jaffa to their doom.

Skydiver
July 14th, 2005, 07:08 AM
the guys in summit/last stand were called Lotars. personal body slaves.

and yes, tanith wouldn't take shonac as host, however that could be argued that he was refusing to take her because he wanted to get put into a tok'ra

as to asking joe, go for it. i asked him and got the response above. maybe a different question would garner a clearer answer

Ancient 1
July 16th, 2005, 01:28 PM
One word.

Imhotep.
Imhotep was not Jaffa. That much is clearly stated at the end of The Warrior. :p

AGateFan
July 17th, 2005, 03:46 AM
Ok, from the information we have it seems to me safe to say that a go'uld cannot take over a Jaffa who has a primta. Since jaffa cannot live long without the primta jaffa are not normally in a position to be taken over by a go'uld.

Now it also seems that if the go'uld in the jaffa matures and needs to take a host it is able to take over its own jaffa.

It is unclear if a go'uld can rip a primta out of a jaffa and then take that jaffa as a host, maybe it can or maybe there is something that prevents it. Maybe the primta releases some sort of chemical, as the primta matures the chemical dissabates and by the time the primta is fully mature the chemical is gone and the go'uld can take over the Jaffa but if the primta is just ripped out maybe not enough time passes for the chemical to dissabate before the jaffa dies. :S

Also, what happens if a Jaffa is taking Tretonin? Can they be taken over by a go'uld or is there some chemical in the growned up go'uld that would prevent this. And what if the Tretonin was fully sythenisized as opposed to being actual ground go'uld?

SoulReaver
August 1st, 2008, 06:16 PM
was about to create a new thread but after & quick search dug up this one

unfortunately it doesn't provide a definite answer save for the fact that a jaffa with a primtah can't become a host to a goa'uld

questions still to be answered :

1) can a jaffa without a primtah (ie. with an empty pouch) be taken over by an adult goa'uld symbiont ?
some ppl mentioned 1969 but I don't remember anything of the sort mentioned in the ep (script plz ?)

2) if so, can jaffas survive with an empty pouch if they're host to an adult symbiont ?
in other words can an adult snake in the head replace a baby snake in the pouch ?
(of course with a snake in the head the jaffa will only "live" as a slave, but they'll still live)

3) can present-day Teal'c (without primtah & on tretonin) be taken over by a goa'uld ?

Skydiver
August 1st, 2008, 06:39 PM
yes. I can't find it, but i remember hearing teal'c say if they remain in 1969, he'll eventually be taken over by his infant goa'uld
1) yes

2) i would imagine so. the host aspect means that the goa'uld will become thier immune system, which is what the primta is.

3) i think so. we have nothing saying that he can't. But i don't know if hte tretonin in his blood would conflict with the goa'uld or not
Check out The Warrior, K'Tano - a goa'uld - became host to a goa'uld

Skydiver
August 1st, 2008, 06:42 PM
this is from the tomb

SAM: Sir, as you know, Teal’C body is incapable of sustaining a symbiote
as long as he’s carrying a larval Goa’Uld. And he doesn’t sense a
presence in me, so … That leaves Daniel, Major Vallarin and … (The
Colonel’s look at each other) well … (They point their guns at each
other) the two of you, Sir.

SoulReaver
August 1st, 2008, 06:46 PM
ok (guess that makes sense anyway since jaffas are almost genetically identical to humans, and we know goa'ulds can take over even [some] non-humanoid hosts)

so the only reason primtahs don't take over their own jaffa once mature is because the jaffas will be needed for future primtahs :confused:

Skydiver
August 1st, 2008, 06:52 PM
that and since the goa'uld see jaffa as a lower form of life, they wouldn't 'sully' themselves by taking what htey see as basically an animal as a host.

that's why goa'uld have lotars - or system lords anyway - to have an emergency host around that's pure human.

k'tano was only taken as a host so that the goa'uld could hide.

the one thing they never cover is...as fast as the goa'uld blow through jaffa - using them as canon fodder - i'd expect some sort of breeding program. a way to make sure they have plenty of incubators for their children, not to mention a nice big army

Kelt'ar
August 2nd, 2008, 09:26 AM
[QUOTE=Lexx;4357821]*snipped* On the other hand we have "Crossroads", which has Shau'nac almost dieing because Tanith is completely mature and needs a host. *QUOTE]

Remember Tanith was pretending to be a good guy, and taking shanauc as host would sully his image.

Skydiver
August 2nd, 2008, 06:07 PM
tanith's goal was to infiltrate the tok'ra, so taking sho'nac as host woulda ruined his plans...and the snakes seem to have some level of choice. in COTG, Amaunet gave her approval/disapproval of hosts, which is why Kettering was killed and Shau'ri chosen

taurieJim
October 28th, 2009, 07:31 PM
Why can't a goa'uld live inside a Jaffa long term? Why must their be a human or other host? It doesn't make sense to me and I'm hoping it's due to a lack of information on my part. If anyone has a plausible explanation, I eager to hear.

Mr Prophet
November 1st, 2009, 10:53 PM
Why can't a goa'uld live inside a Jaffa long term? Why must their be a human or other host? It doesn't make sense to me and I'm hoping it's due to a lack of information on my part. If anyone has a plausible explanation, I eager to hear.

In 1962 Teal'c presumes that this is exactly what his symbiote will do when it matures, but later canon suggests that it couldn't happen. Sometimes the suggestion is simply that one Goa'uld can't control a Jaffa while another is incubating in the pouch, at other times it's rigth out, presumably because the Jaffa is designed as a dependent organism; from puberty onwards the pouch symbiote is a vital part of their anatomy.

Alternatively, they just don't take Jaffa hosts on the grounds that it's... tacky. A Jaffa is a slave and an incubator for immature Goa'uld. It would be the equivalent of spending your whole life wandering around in nappies and baby-grows.