This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The cinematography styles in SGU

Am I the only one who thinks the 'new' documentary shooting style that is to be employed on SGU will make it too BSG-(wanna be)ish?

Stargate has always had a conventional cinematic shooting style... which is what made it different, as it is for TV.

I'm having the same fears, but since they say it is "documentary style" and that they "wont shake the cameras for style's sake" means it should be a bit better and well done then in Battlestar Galactica. I am hopefull of that bit of information, although clinging on Cloverfield as a reference, I do tend to fear the outcome.

Hopefully it will just be documentary with not alot of shaky cams. That could be seen as a knockoff of Battlestar... So i'm hoping it won't come to that.

All in all, I remain hopefull.

- Why SciFi when you can have SciFun? -

Comment

Personally not a fan of BSG style - it made me feel rather sick. I too liked the cinematic style of SG1, it made it rather different to what else was on telly at the time.

Documentary style doesn't have to mean lots of shaky camera angles, and zooming in and out all the time. The camera style used in The Office (the British one at least, I haven't seen the US one) was quite good.
      sigpic

Comment

In addition to what ZanderJ has said, I hope they don't add heaps of film grain to the shots. (like it was done in Battlestar Galactica)

Comment

Shooting style is something I hope that doesn't change. Stargate has always had good shooting style
          Originally posted by aretood2
          Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
            Shooting style is something I hope that doesn't change. Stargate has always had good shooting style
            I also like the style of SG-1 and Atlantis, but it´s going to be different in Universe;
            Producers answer SGU questions

Finally, the producers talked at length about the different way in which Stargate Universe is being shot. “The style is very different from what we’ve done in the past,”

Comment

Angelus writes: “It’s been said SG-U is going to be filmed like a sort of documentary. (Cloverfield style). My question is, Does that mean we’ll get lots of shaking and out of focus camera shots like what was done in the Cloverfield movie?”

Answer: No. In fact, I believe Rob made it a point of stressing that we won’t be doing a lot of shaky cam.

Comment

Somewhere in the interviews where they talk about the shooting style, I believe they said they were going more for a Firefly style of shooting.
                sigpic
                Sig Courtesy of jasminaGo

Comment

Originally posted by frostwolf View Post
                  Somewhere in the interviews where they talk about the shooting style, I believe they said they were going more for a Firefly style of shooting.
                  If that's true then it should be very good. Firefly had an excellent style. Kind of a middle ground between cinematic and BSG's documentary style.
                  Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

Originally posted by frostwolf View Post
                    Yeah they said that. I hope it is more Firefly style than BSG, because I'm not a fan of BSG's camera style either.
                    Jedi_Master_Bra'tac, previously known as wako!

Comment

I don't get why people keep comparing it to BSG. They clearly said it's more like Firefly. And also, BSG did NOT create this form of shooting style, nor is it unique to it. Lots of show use that style from The Shield, to The Wire, to 24 and The Office.
                      These are the wrong people... in the wrong place.

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
                        Yes, generally two-handed, though I believe I've seen Jack fire off a round or two using only one.

Comment

Originally posted by VSS View Post
                          Yes, generally two-handed, though I believe I've seen Jack fire off a round or two using only one.
                          I hope they do something new.
                          "Look ma! No hands!"

Comment

Originally posted by Detox View Post
                            I don't get why people keep comparing it to BSG. They clearly said it's more like Firefly. And also, BSG did NOT create this form of shooting style, nor is it unique to it. Lots of show use that style from The Shield, to The Wire, to 24 and The Office.
                            Indeed

Originally posted by GateGipsy
                            Documentary style doesn't have to mean lots of shaky camera angles, and zooming in and out all the time. The camera style used in The Office (the British one at least, I haven't seen the US one) was quite good.
                            Agreed as well. I've seen both the British and US versions of The Office, and I enjoy both of them. I wouldn't be opposed to this style of filming for SGU.

Furthermore, the comments from TPTB relating it to Firefly are very nice as well, as that had a very cool feel to it. Most of all though, I'm glad they are changing things up overall, and I'm glad they decided to make shooting style one of them, as it can add so much to the overall feel of the show.
                            Sig by Pandora's Box
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by VSS View Post
                              sigpic
                              ____I reserve the right to be completely wrong about any topic I post on.

Comment

Working...
                              X