PDA

View Full Version : For a show that's called 'Stargate'...there isn't much 'Stargate' in it so far.

Nova69
October 28th, 2009, 05:21 AM
Please please don't get me wrong, this is not an official moan or anything like that. I am loving Stargate: Universe as much as anyone and I think last night's episode 'Light' (I'm from the UK by the way and we don't get it 'til tuesday nights...) was very very suspensful and extremly well written.

I have just noticed however that in the last two episodes, 'Darkness' and 'Light', there has been no official Stargate activity in either episode. It was only mentioned a few times in 'Darkness' and in 'Light' I think I only even saw it once, right at the start when Dr. Rush was leaning against it. In fact throughout the first quarter of the series the crew have only been through the thing twice haven't they? One to the Destiny from Icarus at the start then again onto the desert planet at the end of 'Air pt 2'. Ok, three times if you count the team coming back from that place as well.

What does everyone else think about this? I know the situation presented in the episode meant they couldn't use it anyway, it just seems strange that two episodes in a row haven't shown anything going on with the Gate. Please respond and let me know what you think about this as well.

M2W
October 28th, 2009, 05:27 AM
I'm okay with everything as is. It's referenced at least, and I'm sure once the story really gets going we'll see it used more regularly. We're only a handful of episodes in and for the storyline to go where ever it's going, the Stargate needs to be out of use for now. I'm fine with that... unless the story gets way dumb. Then I'll be unhappy.

Not all episodes of SG-1 focused on gate travel either though.

Lightning Ducj
October 28th, 2009, 05:27 AM
What does everyone else think about this? I know the situation presented in the episode meant they couldn't use it anyway, it just seems strange that two episodes in a row haven't shown anything going on with the Gate. Please respond and let me know what you think about this as well.

Well...four weeks of SG-1 episodes could cover weeks or even months of story time. So far SGU in four weeks of viewing has only covered maybe 48 hours. So far they haven't really gotten to a place where another stargate use was possibly or sensible for the story. So right now I'm kinda in a 'wait and see' attitude about a lot of the series to see how things progress

Deevil
October 28th, 2009, 05:28 AM
Ehh, I'm not overly worried. SG-1 and SGA had multiple episodes without Stargate use.

It's really not big deal, to me anyway.

DigiFluid
October 28th, 2009, 05:39 AM
Ehh, I'm not overly worried. SG-1 and SGA had multiple episodes without Stargate use.

SGA went most of 5 years without showing the Stargate being used :p

malfunction
October 28th, 2009, 05:46 AM
From the pictures I've seen of 'Water' the stargate will be in use in this episode, perhaps now that Destiny has power again they can dial stargates further away than we saw in 'Air part 3.' We know Destiny can dial Earth, so it should also be able to dial any other stargate it wants.

Nova69
October 28th, 2009, 05:47 AM
SGA went most of 5 years without showing the Stargate being used :p

Even in those episode of SG-1 and Atlantis they would show another team from time to time going through/coming back but like Lightning Ducj sais the story so far has only covered three days maybe. I just noticed that when Rush said "Greer & Scott, yesterdays heroes." So yeah maybe it's not that big a deal for now. Like I said in my thread-starter I wasn't complaining just pointing it out. Hopefully now the Destiny is fully powered up we might get to see a few trips through in future episodes.

...and Wayston I will fully admit your idea never crossed my mind but now I'm thinking hmm, maybe I would like to see that too! Haha!!!

DigiFluid
October 28th, 2009, 05:47 AM
Even in those episode of SG-1 and Atlantis they would show another team from time to time going through/coming back but like Lightning Ducj sais the story so far has only covered three days maybe. I just noticed that when Rush said "Greer & Scott, yesterdays heroes." So yeah maybe it's not that big a deal for now. Like I said in my thread-starter I wasn't complaining just pointing it out. Hopefully now the Destiny is fully powered up we might get to see a few trips through in future episodes.

...and Wayston I will fully admit your idea never crossed my mind but now I'm thinking hmm, maybe I would like to see that too! Haha!!!

I was teasing, I know that ;)

EvilSpaceAlien
October 28th, 2009, 05:57 AM
List of episodes in SG1 and SGA were they didn't use the gate

SG1:

Point of View
Politics (clip show)
Tangent
The Curse
Desperate Measures
Wormhole X-Treme!
Proving Ground
Descent
Nightwalkers
Prometheus
Unnatural Selection
Smoke & Mirrors
Disclosure (clip show)
Fragile Balance
Chimera
Resurrection
Inauguration (clip show)
Affinity
Prometheus Unbound
Citizen Joe (clip show)
Ex Deus Machina
Crusade
Memento Mori
The Road Not Taken
Bounty

SGA:
The Defiant One
Hot Zone
The Gift
The Siege, Part 3
The Intruder
Aurora
Critical Mass
Grace Under Pressure
Allies, Part 1
The Real World (Unless you count Weir's fantasy world)
McKay and Mrs. Miller
Echoes
Tao of Rodney
Sunday
Submersion
Tabula Rasa
Quarantine
The Seed
The Daedalus Variations
The Lost Tribe
Infection
Vegas

If the gate has been used off-screen in an episode it is not on the list.

Do notice how the non-gate episodes increase as the shows gets older?

DigiFluid
October 28th, 2009, 05:59 AM
Off-screen gate use was more what I was poking fun at ;)

In any case, I'm pretty excited for this week's SGU. I'm hoping for more gate travelling too.

malfunction
October 28th, 2009, 06:01 AM

SG1:
The Enemy Within
Point of View
Politics (clip show)
Tangent
The Curse
Desperate Measures
Wormhole X-Treme!
Proving Ground
Descent
Frozen
Nightwalkers
Prometheus
Unnatural Selection
Smoke & Mirrors
Disclosure (clip show)
Fragile Balance
Grace
Chimera
Resurrection
Inauguration (clip show)
Affinity
Prometheus Unbound
Citizen Joe (clip show)
Ex Deus Machina
Crusade
Insiders
Memento Mori
The Road Not Taken
Bounty

SGA:
The Defiant One
Hot Zone
The Gift
The Siege, Part 3
The Intruder
Aurora
Critical Mass
Grace Under Pressure
Allies, Part 1
McKay and Mrs. Miller
Echoes
Tao of Rodney
Sunday
Submersion
Tabula Rasa
Quarantine
The Seed
The Daedalus Variations
The Lost Tribe
Infection
Vegas

I agree with the statement about the newer episodes having less gate travel, but you can't count not seeing the stargate as not having the stargate in it.

EvilSpaceAlien
October 28th, 2009, 06:03 AM
I agree with the statement about the newer episodes having less gate travel, but you can't count not seeing the stargate as not having the stargate in it.

Yes. It's only the epsiodes were there's no stargate use at all that are on the list. Episode were the gate is used, but not seen are not included in the list.

malfunction
October 28th, 2009, 06:11 AM
Yes. It's only the epsiodes were there's no stargate use at all that are on the list. Episode were the gate is used, but not seen are not included in the list.

But you have several episodes where the stargate is not seen but used on the list i.e. 'Bounty', 'Descent' and 'Tao of Rodney' and others that I think did have the stargate being used.

Also 'Sunday' and 'The Siege Part 3' did have the stargate being used in the episode.

missmobius
October 28th, 2009, 06:15 AM
I hope they start using it very soon, cause Stargate without a Stargate "character/prop" being used on a regular basis is just plain stupid,

I mean why call it Stargate SGU then? Just call it it "BattleStar Universe" or is the name Stargate to scoop up SG1/SGA fans?

SGA IMO was not as good as SG1 because of the lack of Gate use, the only reason I watched SGA is because of McKay, if they had killed him off I would have stopped.

KEK
October 28th, 2009, 06:22 AM
Fear not, there'll be Stargate activity in Water.

missmobius
October 28th, 2009, 06:22 AM
From the pictures I've seen of 'Water' the stargate will be in use in this episode, perhaps now that Destiny has power again they can dial stargates further away than we saw in 'Air part 3.' We know Destiny can dial Earth, so it should also be able to dial any other stargate it wants.

so what is the episode after "Water" called?

Let's play:
Air
Dark
Light
Water
???
Heat?
Food?

I see a pattern here, all about the basic needs of a human being???

and if that's the case, one of my basic needs is a strong, attractive, intelligent, hott looking male lead,,,,,waiting :)

(no, IMO none of the males have those qualities so far, except I really can see Rush becoming a very hott character if only they would start to show him in some "strong silent but heart of gold" moments, *fingers crossed*)

KEK
October 28th, 2009, 06:27 AM
It's called Earth, because they run out of mud.

EvilSpaceAlien
October 28th, 2009, 06:54 AM

Let's play:
Air
Dark
Light
Water
???
Heat?
Food?

and if that's the case, one of my basic needs is a strong, attractive, intelligent, hott looking male lead,,,,,waiting :)

(no, IMO none of the males have those qualities so far, except I really can see Rush becoming a very hott character if only they would start to show him in some "strong silent but heart of gold" moments, *fingers crossed*)

http://www.gateworld.net/gallery/albums/uni_season1/105-Light/screencaps/normal_sgu_105_0895.jpg
http://www.gateworld.net/gallery/albums/uni_season1/105-Light/screencaps/normal_sgu_105_0897.jpg

Lightning Ducj
October 28th, 2009, 07:10 AM

I think this was in general because as the series' went on, they ended up making the settings 'smaller'.

In the movie and early on in SG-1, the Stargate was really our only link to the rest of the universe, so to speak. There were a lot more other planets and alien races..so many races that were enemies of the Gould so to speak and others who knew of them. As SG-1 in particular progressed, the universe got 'smaller' and there was a less of a feeling of a small human race peering humbly through the Stargate at a big wide galaxy out there, especially as the ships became more prominent.

jelgate
October 28th, 2009, 07:13 AM

Can you say shallow?:P

Nova69
October 28th, 2009, 07:27 AM

SG1:
The Enemy Within
Point of View
Politics (clip show)
Tangent
The Curse
Desperate Measures
Wormhole X-Treme!
Proving Ground
Descent
Frozen
Nightwalkers
Prometheus
Unnatural Selection
Smoke & Mirrors
Disclosure (clip show)
Fragile Balance
Grace
Chimera
Resurrection
Inauguration (clip show)
Affinity
Prometheus Unbound
Citizen Joe (clip show)
Ex Deus Machina
Crusade
Insiders
Memento Mori
The Road Not Taken
Bounty

SGA:
The Defiant One
Hot Zone
The Gift
The Siege, Part 3
The Intruder
Aurora
Critical Mass
Grace Under Pressure
Allies, Part 1
McKay and Mrs. Miller
Echoes
Tao of Rodney
Sunday
Submersion
Tabula Rasa
Quarantine
The Seed
The Daedalus Variations
The Lost Tribe
Infection
Vegas

First of all, I am well aware that SG-1 or Sheppard's Atlantis team didn't go through the gate themselves in EVERY episode, but I bet the gate was at least mentioned or shown in every episode on both your lists EvilSpaceAlien. All I was poiting out was that on a show called Stargate, TPTB hadn't even shown the gate referenced it in any dialogue in the last episode - and very little did they do this the episode before. Im sure it won't last forever and I would wager a trip through the Stargate or two is in order next week. Without the Stargate however, this show is quite literally simply 'Universe'.

On another note, now the Destiny is at full power, would they not just simply be able to dial Earth and return home now?

jelgate
October 28th, 2009, 07:31 AM
First of all, I am well aware that SG-1 or Sheppard's Atlantis team didn't go through the gate themselves in EVERY episode, but I bet the gate was at least mentioned or shown in every episode on both your lists EvilSpaceAlien. All I was poiting out was that on a show called Stargate, TPTB hadn't even shown the gate referenced it in any dialogue in the last episode - and very little did they do this the episode before. Im sure it won't last forever and I would wager a trip through the Stargate or two is in order next week. Without the Stargate however, this show is quite literally simply 'Universe'.
Well you know their was the important issue of people dying and they did show it Light. It just wasn't used of mentioned and considering the power issues I can see how not mentioning it would be understandable.

On another note, now the Destiny is at full power, would they not just simply be able to dial Earth and return home now?

Water spoilers
The Destiny is only at 40% of original power

MattSilver 3k
October 28th, 2009, 07:40 AM

The gate was at least mentioned in the first four episodes, from Air to Darkness, and shown in Light (And the previous four too). Next week, it'll be used for offworld tomfoolery.

Problem solved?

Eestlanna
October 28th, 2009, 07:41 AM
They should at least try to dial Earth. In fact, it's weird they didn't try it right away they got most of the power back.

MattSilver 3k
October 28th, 2009, 07:45 AM
They should at least try to dial Earth. In fact, it's weird they didn't try it right away they got most of the power back.

According to a preview of Water, they don't want to risk dialling Earth lest their power drop again, and Rush explains that they couldn't anyway, due to insufficient power.

And besides, they had to get the shuttle back first, and they probably went right back into FTL following that. With no fixed location, they couldn't dial, and Rush probably warned them against it.

Replicator Todd
October 28th, 2009, 08:06 AM
Sure the show is called Stargate, but that doesn't mean it needs to have a Stargate in the episode, just stories and mythology surrounding it.

s09119
October 28th, 2009, 09:27 AM

Let's play:
Air
Dark
Light
Water
???
Heat?
Food?

Why do people insist on posting things like "ZOMG I can't wait to see an episode called "Digestion"! Stupid lame titles!"

StarFighter
October 28th, 2009, 09:54 AM
I sadly think this will be a trend. I believe it was mentioned by the creators that this would be more of a space based show. So less use of the Stargate.

Orion Antreas
October 28th, 2009, 11:45 AM
I sadly think this will be a trend. I believe it was mentioned by the creators that this would be more of a space based show. So less use of the Stargate.

Actually, they said this will have "more space-based action" (I'm paraphrasing here.) over "ground-based action". The show should feature the Stargate a lot, just not as much "pew pew!!11 I shootz!111" at the random alien of the week, once you step through. Actually, in my humble opinion and what I can tell, the Stargate will be featured more than Atlantis because the gate is essential to their survival. Their lifeline, so they are gonna use it a lot and we are gonna see it more. ;)

Eestlanna
October 28th, 2009, 12:49 PM
I hope SGU will become more stargateish soon. :) For example, they could find a way to dial to the other dimension or parallel universe or smt. And some people perhaps could come through that way. Maybe someone we know. :)

Egle01
October 28th, 2009, 01:04 PM
There's plenty of time to show off the new (or old) 'gate. :D Look how much they gated in "Air" part 3. In "Darkness" and "Light" they simply didn't have enough power.

Carlyle mentioned in an early interview that
the gate is starting to show its age. Now this should be interesting!

Blistna
October 28th, 2009, 01:22 PM
The way I look at it, there have been three episodes so far, back to back, with use of the Stargate. Air 1, 2, 3. Three hours where the gate was a big star. Then we have 2 hours (a 2 parter) that didn't use the gate. And, at least THIS one made sense on why they didn't use the gate. Name one SG-1 or SGA episode, where the gate was not used, and it made sense (as in they had a legit reason, not just they didn't need to).

So..my opinion is...the gate, so far, has played a large roll and will probably continue doing so. :-)

Arwis
October 28th, 2009, 01:53 PM
Please please don't get me wrong, this is not an official moan or anything like that. I am loving Stargate: Universe as much as anyone and I think last night's episode 'Light' (I'm from the UK by the way and we don't get it 'til tuesday nights...) was very very suspensful and extremly well written.

I have just noticed however that in the last two episodes, 'Darkness' and 'Light', there has been no official Stargate activity in either episode. It was only mentioned a few times in 'Darkness' and in 'Light' I think I only even saw it once, right at the start when Dr. Rush was leaning against it. In fact throughout the first quarter of the series the crew have only been through the thing twice haven't they? One to the Destiny from Icarus at the start then again onto the desert planet at the end of 'Air pt 2'. Ok, three times if you count the team coming back from that place as well.

Agree at some degree. Just look at STARGATE Atlantis, they were using gates even less.... Well ofc it's hard to judge from this point but the thing is I think this show will be way more gate centered than Atlantis, something similar so SG-1 maybe.

Eestlanna
October 28th, 2009, 02:06 PM
In SGA the gateroom was often the place they just gathered if something happened. So, the gate was kind of always there with us. And now it's different.

Egle01
October 28th, 2009, 02:31 PM
In that case - in "Darkness" Rush passed out in front of the 'gate. In "Light" all the people gathered to the gateroom for the lottery. Plenty of 'gate. :D

Dain
October 28th, 2009, 03:12 PM
In SGA the gateroom was often the place they just gathered if something happened. So, the gate was kind of always there with us. And now it's different.

That's just not true. The gate room featured in every episode multiple times. Practically every random scene which didn't require the characters to be at a specific place for the plot to work, took place in the gate room.

Eestlanna
October 28th, 2009, 03:26 PM
That's just not true. The gate room featured in every episode multiple times. Practically every random scene which didn't require the characters to be at a specific place for the plot to work, took place in the gate room.
That's exactly what I meant. :D

GuHNDoi
October 28th, 2009, 03:35 PM

SG1:
The Enemy Within
Point of View
Politics (clip show)
Tangent
The Curse
Desperate Measures
Wormhole X-Treme!
Proving Ground
Descent
Frozen
Nightwalkers
Prometheus
Unnatural Selection
Smoke & Mirrors
Disclosure (clip show)
Fragile Balance
Grace
Chimera
Resurrection
Inauguration (clip show)
Affinity
Prometheus Unbound
Citizen Joe (clip show)
Ex Deus Machina
Crusade
Insiders
Memento Mori
The Road Not Taken
Bounty

SGA:
The Defiant One
Hot Zone
The Gift
The Siege, Part 3
The Intruder
Aurora
Critical Mass
Grace Under Pressure
Allies, Part 1
McKay and Mrs. Miller
Echoes
Tao of Rodney
Sunday
Submersion
Tabula Rasa
Quarantine
The Seed
The Daedalus Variations
The Lost Tribe
Infection
Vegas

The Enemy Within, the gate was used to lop off the back of Kawalksy's head. But if you mean actual gate trips then i am wrong.

EvilSpaceAlien
October 28th, 2009, 03:47 PM
The Enemy Within, the gate was used to lop off the back of Kawalksy's head. But if you mean actual gate trips then i am wrong.

Sorry. I did that list of the top of my head and I forgot about that part. *runs off to do some editing*

reddevil18
October 28th, 2009, 03:53 PM
Isn't there an episode in the back half of the season where some of the crew basically just go from planet to planet, trying to get back on the Destiny?
That should feature more gate usage than the entire fifth season of SGA...

Rachel500
October 28th, 2009, 03:54 PM
Sorry. I did that list of the top of my head and I forgot about that part. *runs off to do some editing*

You may also want to remove:

Proving Ground (the gate was activated as part of the training scenario).

Frozen (the gate was activated at the end to transport Jack to be implanted with a Tok'ra symbiote)

Grace - Jack/Daniel/Teal'c are shown returning from a search through the gate

Avatar - the virtual game involves a Kull warrior coming through the Stargate

Insiders - they use the gate to capture more Ba'als - SG1 are seen returning from a mission

I think the Stargate will be part of it more going forward as they need supplies.

I think in some ways it was unfortunate the original one episode was split into a two-parter as then we'd only have had one episode so far where the gate didn't play a major part rather than the last two.

Avenger
October 28th, 2009, 04:01 PM

It's true that the gate itself has been much less prominent in this series so far. Part of that has to do with the fact that they have only been on the ship for 2-3 days so far and there hasn't been a lot of opportunity to go anywhere else. That's really important to keep in mind. With the previous shows, they went through the gate nearly every episode, but those episodes were days or weeks apart.

I believe that they will start to gain more control of the ship as the series progresses and start going off world more. However, going through the gate will still be a secondary kind of thing.

reddevil18
October 28th, 2009, 04:02 PM
Honestly, does it even matter? I mean, sure, we can list "cameos" by the gate in SGA and later SG-1, but it had long since lost its importance. Once you get giant ships and flying cities, really, the gate is there only for people like we nerds to say "THERE! I spotted the gate!". It's not as integral to the plot as it once was. I mean, take SG-1's "A Hundred Days". In season 8 of SG-1, they'd have Jack home for dinner.

I guess my point is that the Stargate is basically just a brand right now. And, really...think about this for a second. Would you rather have a one-second view of the gate as a Jumper flies out of it or simply the cheap "no CG this week, just flash the lights on the set", in order to count the episode as having featured the gate or would you rather have fewer episodes directly revolving around the old orifice, but episodes in which the gate is truly important? I know what I'd choose.

kymeric
October 28th, 2009, 04:03 PM

There is NO POINT! Thats like saying Earth should at least try to dial Destiny. It absolutely will NOT work. It took the power of an exploding planet to get them there. Destiny did not absorb that kinda power from a sun. And even if it had i doubt it would allow itsself to blow up to send humans home.

Captain Obvious
October 28th, 2009, 04:15 PM
in rebuttal, "Star Trek" DS9 was based on a space station, stationary around a planet/system. Many stories did not involve flying around space, "trekking" from one star to another.

It is a name, and on this series, there is going to be a ton of setup for the issues they have. I would expect there to be quite a bit less gate travel in this first season as they set up things on the ship. The later half of the first season will have plenty more exploration.

Radz
October 28th, 2009, 04:37 PM
I have to admit some of my favorite episodes revolved around the gate and when it didn't work right. Like when Teal'c got stuck in the gate buffer or when they dialed the black hole or when the Jumper got stuck in the middle of the gate. I'm hoping that we'll see that in Universe eventually since the gates are obviously old and may malfunction. But I still like the show though even without those type stories.

Eestlanna
October 28th, 2009, 04:41 PM
There is NO POINT! Thats like saying Earth should at least try to dial Destiny. It absolutely will NOT work. It took the power of an exploding planet to get them there. Destiny did not absorb that kinda power from a sun. And even if it had i doubt it would allow itsself to blow up to send humans home.
I know, but they could still try and end up somewhere else, like parallel universe or future or past or so. They could use it to bring some new (or old) people on board for example.

M2W
October 28th, 2009, 04:59 PM

Knowing how much power it takes to dial the gate and establish a wormhole, I'm sure they either knew it wouldn't work or didn't want to risk draining the ship's remaining power and still not be able to achieve a lock.

(I'm sorry... I was half asleep during my catch-up marathon of SGU. I know they talked about this. I just don't remember exactly what was said.)

The Ori
October 28th, 2009, 06:59 PM
I agree not much Stargate, but I do like the direction that the show is going!!

Ekras
October 28th, 2009, 07:10 PM

Lost Tribe had gate use I think. Didn't Jackson go back to Earth?

Eternal Density
October 28th, 2009, 07:44 PM
Lost Tribe had gate use I think. Didn't Jackson go back to Earth?Lost Tribe had gate explosion.

MattSilver 3k
October 28th, 2009, 08:33 PM
Pfft... why even name a show after a device that will inevitably explode a few seasons in? I smell another BSG comparison! ;)

skajkingdom
October 29th, 2009, 06:57 AM
What worries me is this:

5 episodes already and we still haven't seen the Wormhole effect yet!

(or did I miss something here...?)

So much for "stargate".

Deevil
October 29th, 2009, 07:01 AM
What worries me is this:

5 episodes already and we still haven't seen the Wormhole effect yet!

(or did I miss something here...?)

So much for "stargate". So the 'wormhole effect' is the only thing that makes stargate... that may be true for you.

For me, I got tired of seeing it. Like, hello, we know how the gate works already - let's get to the point.

Anyways, it's a different gate - maybe the effect is different.

I know TPTB said it's gonna be a more space based show, but does that mean that we can't have crew members gating to other ships?

Hmm?

ciannwn
October 29th, 2009, 07:13 AM
in rebuttal, "Star Trek" DS9 was based on a space station, stationary around a planet/system. Many stories did not involve flying around space, "trekking" from one star to another.

Have to agree with you here. The show's title 'Stargate Universe' tells us that the series takes place within the same fictional universe as Stargate SG-1 and Stargate Atlantis.

It's nice when they use the stargate but I don't want the series to be stargate driven in that the writers are obliged to produce a set number of stories per season where somebody uses one. One of the problems I had with SGA is that I got the impression the writers were obliged to produce a set number of stories per season featuring running around with guns and big explosions.

s09119
October 29th, 2009, 07:46 AM
Have to agree with you here. The show's title 'Stargate Universe' tells us that the series takes place within the same fictional universe as Stargate SG-1 and Stargate Atlantis.

It's nice when they use the stargate but I don't want the series to be stargate driven in that the writers are obliged to produce a set number of stories per season where somebody uses one. One of the problems I had with SGA is that I got the impression the writers were obliged to produce a set number of stories per season featuring running around with guns and big explosions.

I feel the same... the formula bled itself dry, and SGA became a mockery of the franchise for it.

Besides, we've seen the stargate used several times already, just not in the past two episodes.

aretood2
October 29th, 2009, 11:33 AM
I feel the same... the formula bled itself dry, and SGA became a mockery of the franchise for it.

Besides, we've seen the stargate used several times already, just not in the past two episodes.

The thing is that many people, myself included, can get easily tired of the same old line. They fix one problem and another one pops up. While this can be entertaining it is not stargate.

Don't get me wrong, I think the show is good, but I do want Stargate. I only hope that I won't lose interest. The best way to insure this is to add the occasional "Normal gate" episode.

ciannwn
October 29th, 2009, 11:45 AM
Don't get me wrong, I think the show is good, but I do want Stargate. I only hope that I won't lose interest. The best way to insure this is to add the occasional "Normal gate" episode.

What do you class as a normal gate episode? There's got to be a reason for the Destiny people to use their gate because this isn't the SGC sending teams out on various missions.

aretood2
October 29th, 2009, 12:05 PM
What do you class as a normal gate episode? There's got to be a reason for the Destiny people to use their gate because this isn't the SGC sending teams out on various missions.

Something along the lines of off worl...er...ship missions. They need stuff, and instead of waiting for those needs to become problems they should seek out new stuff. Go boldly where they should go. and Meet strange new things in strange new worlds as they try to survive. For an episode that is not just an other seemingly random problem. That would keep my interest a lot more so than their current path.

This is why I am looking foreword to Water, hopefully they well start doing what I hope.

escyos
October 29th, 2009, 12:15 PM
its been 5 episodes, which translates as 2-3 days.. how much exploration could they have done

aretood2
October 29th, 2009, 12:28 PM
its been 5 episodes, which translates as 2-3 days.. how much exploration could they have done

a lot less than I need in order to remain interested. It's either they go out their soon or I take a nice break tell season two and start watching them again. Its just me, you know.

escyos
October 29th, 2009, 12:30 PM
then stop watching and posting you'll be fine

s09119
October 29th, 2009, 01:06 PM
You people do realize they use the gate IN THE VERY NEXT EPISODE, right?

ciannwn
October 29th, 2009, 01:16 PM
Something along the lines of off worl...er...ship missions. They need stuff, and instead of waiting for those needs to become problems they should seek out new stuff.

I'm guessing they got a bit distracted by an unexpected power loss and thinking they were going to burn up in the sun. Getting more food and water wouldn't have been the first things on their minds when they believed they were going to die in a few hours.

For an episode that is not just an other seemingly random problem. That would keep my interest a lot more so than their current path.

Which just goes to show that tastes in TV shows vary. I'm finding problems about basic survival a refreshing change from characters setting off to find the latest device that goes BOOM so they can blow up enemy spacecraft.

kymeric
October 29th, 2009, 02:14 PM
I know, but they could still try and end up somewhere else, like parallel universe or future or past or so. They could use it to bring some new (or old) people on board for example.

Save it for the 3rd season finalle when they need to change up the cast and plots!

ReFRidgerator
October 29th, 2009, 04:03 PM
It does seem odd that the gate isn't used much, but it is early in the show, and the last season of Atlantis had more ship than gate travel.

aretood2
October 29th, 2009, 05:24 PM
I'm guessing they got a bit distracted by an unexpected power loss and thinking they were going to burn up in the sun. Getting more food and water wouldn't have been the first things on their minds when they believed they were going to die in a few hours.

That tends to happen when you fly into a star, doesn't it. Unfortunately what is necessary for realism is not beneficial for continued entertainment. A show being good is not enough for me. It has to have something, alluring. Something else to offer. I have just watched the first episode of Merlin, a nice British show. It is good, however what lures me in is a childhood fantasy of king Arthur and the round table, of magic and a adventure.

Survival just isn't one of my childhood fantasies. I need more than just a Good show or even a great show to keep me tuned in. I watch TV and read books to tap into my past fantasies, this is why I enjoyed SG-1.

Which just goes to show that tastes in TV shows vary. I'm finding problems about basic survival a refreshing change from characters setting off to find the latest device that goes BOOM so they can blow up enemy spacecraft.
I'll admit that it did start to ware off.

However SGU needs to show me something related to my Childhood fantasies.

NCIS has the common cops and robbers theme.
SG-1 had us versus them in the present that always fascinated me.
Psych has the fun adventure antics that we as children enjoyed.
Monk has the same thing as NCIS
Star wars the Clone wars...need I say how this is related to my childhood fantasies?

and so on. So far nothing is tying me into SGU. Being stuck in space isn't something I played with. Though I did enjoy Space cases as a kid, I did so because it was a new Idea for me. I never seen anything like it, but know I have seen enough Stuck/lost in space.

So for know I wait, hopefully Water well show me if there is anything to look for in the future.

Eternal Density
October 29th, 2009, 05:27 PM
5 episodes already and we still haven't seen the Wormhole effect yet!Really? I hadn't realised that.

renboy
October 29th, 2009, 06:31 PM
The wormhole effect kinda got tiresome in SG over the years...
I'll be happy to watch it again though, if they actually show someone getting into it (like in the original movie) - or they change it into something cooler :)

escyos
October 29th, 2009, 11:01 PM
You people do realize they use the gate IN THE VERY NEXT EPISODE, right?

i think he means a group of 4 (or 3...or 5) going offworld, meeting a new race, getting captures, discovering the leader is evil, killing him, freeing the people, going home

Eternal Density
October 29th, 2009, 11:16 PM
i think he means a group of 4 (or 3...or 5) going offworld, meeting a new race, getting captures, discovering the leader is evil, killing him, freeing the people, going homeHeh, I've already watched that episode enough times :P

Commander Zelix
October 30th, 2009, 12:05 AM
I also like the Wormhole effect. It makes the whole thing more visceral.

Egle01
October 30th, 2009, 04:07 AM
The wormhole effect kinda got tiresome in SG over the years...
I'll be happy to watch it again though, if they actually show someone getting into it (like in the original movie) - or they change it into something cooler :)Funny, I like the effect, but don't miss it. No wormhole effect doesn't take anything away from gate travel. Imo. :)

But we saw it in the trailers, more silver than blue, so we're probably going to see it.

ciannwn
October 30th, 2009, 06:07 AM

My introduction to science fiction when I was a child was the BBC radio series Journey Into Space.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Journey_Into_Space

I listened to an episode again on the internet - a lot of it involved rocket launch procedures and a few minutes were spent on news about a meteorite hitting a pressurised dome on the moon. This news had nothing whatsoever to do with the plot - it was just there so the BBC could educate its listeners about what would happen in such a scenario.

This gave me a love for technical details in science fiction. I was genuinely delighted to learn that the Destiny has a water recycling system and the air scrubbers could be made operational again with calcium carbonate. One of my favourite kino interviews was with the scientist who went into detail about the star system. I'm hoping that tonight's episode gives details of how enough of what they're looking for is taken on board and where it's stored.

aretood2
October 30th, 2009, 12:18 PM
My introduction to science fiction when I was a child was the BBC radio series Journey Into Space.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Journey_Into_Space

I listened to an episode again on the internet - a lot of it involved rocket launch procedures and a few minutes were spent on news about a meteorite hitting a pressurised dome on the moon. This news had nothing whatsoever to do with the plot - it was just there so the BBC could educate its listeners about what would happen in such a scenario.

This gave me a love for technical details in science fiction. I was genuinely delighted to learn that the Destiny has a water recycling system and the air scrubbers could be made operational again with calcium carbonate. One of my favourite kino interviews was with the scientist who went into detail about the star system. I'm hoping that tonight's episode gives details of how enough of what they're looking for is taken on board and where it's stored.

Hmm did this apply to SG-1?

ciannwn
October 30th, 2009, 12:35 PM
Hmm did this apply to SG-1?

I was replying to something you said in this post of yours -

http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?p=10769344#post10769344

My childhood fantasies were based on going into space in a rocket and learning how things worked. (I never wanted to be in a pressurised dome on the moon when it was hit by a meteorite, though.) I now want to know how the Destiny works. It's far more exotic than the rocket ships of my childhood fantasies, of course, but those took place before the very first Sputnik was launched.

As for SG-1, my idea of heaven was Sam going off into technobabble. I wish O'Neill hadn't kept interrupting. :)

aretood2
October 30th, 2009, 12:54 PM
As for SG-1, my idea of heaven was Sam going off into technobabble. I wish O'Neill hadn't kept interrupting. :)

It doesn't seem like there will be any interrupting of techno babble in universe.

ciannwn
October 30th, 2009, 01:03 PM
It doesn't seem like there will be any interrupting of techno babble in universe.

They're bound to interrupt it for the next instalment of Scott and Chloe. I wouldn't mind so much if she turned out to be something interesting like a Cylon. :(

IcarusAbides
October 30th, 2009, 01:04 PM
They're bound to interrupt it for the next instalment of Scott and Chloe. I wouldn't mind so much if she turned out to be something interesting like a Cylon. :(
I think Rush is more likely to be a timelord than Chloe be something interesting.

ciannwn
October 30th, 2009, 01:10 PM
I think Rush is more likely to be a timelord than Chloe be something interesting.

:lol:

Seriously, though, I knew the shuttle was going to get back.but I enjoyed seeing them presented with a problem which they had to solve.

IcarusAbides
October 30th, 2009, 01:12 PM
:lol:

Seriously, though, I knew the shuttle was going to get back.but I enjoyed seeing them presented with a problem which they had to solve.
It was good to see a problem however it will be interesting when there is a problem that isn't solved by Eli, Rush or Scott.

ciannwn
October 30th, 2009, 01:49 PM
It was good to see a problem however it will be interesting when there is a problem that isn't solved by Eli, Rush or Scott.

I know what you mean. It would be nice if some of the other scientists on board got a turn at solving problems later on.

aretood2
October 30th, 2009, 04:37 PM

Cylon? What is a Cylon?

ciannwn
October 30th, 2009, 05:19 PM
Cylon? What is a Cylon?

They're from the second version of Battlestar Galactica. Some of them looked exactly like humans.

AnnieS
October 30th, 2009, 05:26 PM

Same here!!

PacoJr67
October 30th, 2009, 05:46 PM
They're from the second version of Battlestar Galactica. Some of them looked exactly like humans.

cylons were in the first version too, they just didn't look like humans:samanime27:

MattSilver 3k
October 30th, 2009, 10:05 PM
Hey, the Stargate got used this time (Water) around! Plenty of times, to solve the B-Plot, and all kinds of fun! And we got a little wormhole travel effect!

Oh, and Rush's mention of the gate being only on for 38 minutes was a nice shout-out.

ciannwn
October 31st, 2009, 03:55 AM
cylons were in the first version too, they just didn't look like humans:samanime27:

This is true. I didn't make it clear that I was just referring to the second version where some of them looked human.

aretood2
October 31st, 2009, 07:46 AM

What's this battlestar galactica? Is is some sort of fashion show?

ciannwn
October 31st, 2009, 08:21 AM
What's this battlestar galactica? Is is some sort of fashion show?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battlestar_Galactica_%282004_TV_series%29

It's the BSG which some people say SGU is copying. :)

jelgate
October 31st, 2009, 08:22 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battlestar_galactica

It's the BSG which some people say SGU is copying. :)

Are you famliar with sarcasim?

ciannwn
October 31st, 2009, 08:27 AM
Are you famliar with sarcasim?

Some posters in the GW forums don't come across as being sarcastic when they say SGU is a BSG rip-off. They're also referring to the second series, not the original.

jelgate
October 31st, 2009, 08:29 AM
Some posters in the GW forums don't come across as being sarcastic when they say SGU is a BSG rip-off. They're also referring to the second series, not the original.

But that poster is. Its obvious he is joking in the way he shows his ignorance about BSG

ciannwn
October 31st, 2009, 08:32 AM
But that poster is. Its obvious he is joking in the way he shows his ignorance about BSG

I did finish my original post with a :)

PS: I thought you were saying that the people calling SGU a BSG rip-off were being sarcastic.

Skydiver
October 31st, 2009, 10:41 AM
Hey folks

Let's please remember, the discussion of ANYTHING past the Light requires spoiler tags

aretood2
November 1st, 2009, 04:34 PM
I did finish my original post with a :)

PS: I thought you were saying that the people calling SGU a BSG rip-off were being sarcastic.

Should I work harder on the sarcasm maybe? Perhaps some smiley like faces?

But I was satisfied with Water and am interested in Earth. Water was just what I was looking for.

Eternal Density
November 1st, 2009, 09:38 PM
What's sarcasm?

spinny magee
November 1st, 2009, 09:41 PM
I haven't noticed. At the moment the crews main priority is supplies. They will use the gate more often as Season 1 goes along. Looks like it does anyway. Patience young ones.

ciannwn
November 2nd, 2009, 12:51 AM
Should I work harder on the sarcasm maybe? Perhaps some smiley like faces?

That bit you quoted in your last post was in reply to Jelgate, not you. I put a :) at the end of my second reply to you.

I answered your first question about Cylons because I don't assume that everyone knows what a Cylon is any more than I assume that everyone knows what a Dalek or Sontaran is. People often refer to things which were in sci-fi shows I never watched so I have to look them up.