FTL Between Galaxies? [SGU]

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

FTL Between Galaxies? [SGU]

The ship has clearly done it dozens of times before... but do you think we'll ever get to see the Destiny travel the gap from one galaxy to the next? ...around the end of Season 2 or 3, maybe?

It would sure be fascinating -- the stars that we currently see whizzing by outside the ship would taper off into blackness, and I assume the "plasma dust" (for lack of a better name) currently bathing the ship would thin out significantly. Not to mention that the ship would REALLY have to be well-stocked, for however long it takes -- I'm guessing a year at the very best, unless the Destiny does something differently to speed the process up. (Thoughts?)

P.S. -- On a side note... just how realistic is the number of stars that we see whizzing past the ship on all sides? (I assume it's possible to estimate their FTL speed, just based on how quickly we see the stars passing by... and then perhaps we could estimate how many years the Destiny might spend traveling around any given galaxy? ...maybe? This is a bit beyond my field of expertise.)

P.P.S -- I thought this was question was specific enough to merit a separate thread from the general FTL-drive discussion... if the moderators feel otherwise, though, please feel free to combine it as necessary.
    Last edited by puddlejumper747; 28 October 2009, 10:43 PM.
    There is only one thing we can ever truly control: whether we are good, or evil.

Hmmm i fault that each season would cover a diffrent galaxy or something. Traveling the gap from 1 galaxy 2 the next That sure would be a very intresting idea, i woud like 2 see that

Comment

Considering that you shouldn't see anything outside when going FTL, I don't see how we'd make an estimate of the speed.

But if we ignore speed of light limitations, they are going ridiculously fast. They should be out of the galaxy they are in within hours, if that.
      MWG Gate Network Simulation

Looks familiar?

Comment

Originally posted by puddlejumper747 View Post
        The ship has clearly done it dozens of times before... but do you think we'll ever get to see the Destiny travel the gap from one galaxy to the next? ...around the end of Season 2 or 3, maybe?

It would sure be fascinating -- the stars that we currently see whizzing by outside the ship would taper off into blackness, and I the "plasma dust" (for lack of a better name) currently bathing the ship would probably thin out significantly. Not to mention that the ship would REALLY have to be well-stocked, for however long it takes -- I'm guessing a year at the very best, unless the Destiny does something differently to speed the process up. (Thoughts?)

P.S. -- On a side note... just how realistic is the number of stars that we see whizzing past the ship on all sides? I assume it's possible to estimate their FTL speed, just based on how quickly we see the stars passing by... and then perhaps we could estimate about how many years the Destiny might spend traveling around any given galaxy? ...maybe? This is a bit beyond my field of expertise.)

P.P.S -- I thought this was question was specific enough to merit a separate thread from the general FTL-drive discussion... if the moderators feel otherwise, though, please feel free to combine it as necessary.
        One year of nothing to do? Doubt it. They should pass from galaxy to galaxy pretty quickly. Maybe is their course random(inside the galaxy, from planet to planet)?
        sigpic
        - SteamID user since 2005 -- you can add me - visit steam translation server brazil @ Steelbox

Comment

I think I'd like to see the FTL visuals change a bit, like the OP says more Stars/Astrological phenomena, but first I think we need to be given a perspective of just how fast Destiny is going, then we can know just how much time the ship will take to travel between galaxies.
          Maybe Destiny alters it's speed when traveling between galaxies, like it speeds up to get to the next galaxy that bit quicker than the time it takes to go from planet A to planet B, obviously there must be some kind of limit on just how fast it can go, but I'd think the Ancients wouldn't want to leave the ship doing nothing but traveling for centuries to the next interesting place.

Something some of you may be able to answer is will we still see stars in between the voids between galaxies?
          Should the galaxies be viewable when traveling in the void between galaxies?

Comment

ftl is fairly slow, i bet it would take years if not decades to cross the voids between galaxies. Perhaps even century's.
            Well i was bored and decided to make a borg vs stargate sig, so enjoy...btw the explosions and ships look weird i know, its hard to make them blend
            Anime signature in spoiler tag
            Spoiler:
            Here is an anime sig, i was bored so i randomly picked a maid pic and photoshoped it

Comment

for the Destiny, time really doesn't matter to it...since the ship was never ment to be manned for an extended period, it doesn't have to rush to get to where it wants to go...still, you'd think the Ancients would have equiped the ship with a hyperdrive engine...FTL makes sense when the ship is within a galaxy, it would save power, the ship can scan the space around it while at FTL and you can Gate to the ship, something you cant do in hyperspace...but the hyperdrive would be used to travel the vast void between galaxies....

Comment

Maybe the FTL just has a low and high setting for going in the void?

Go Green

Comment

Personally I always thought since Destiny would probably take a very long time to travel between galaxies, it would be cool if the seeder ships not only put down stargates on planets but also put down an early version of a super gate in each galaxy. They could even have a limited range like the stargates and just able to connect to the next one in the chain, so no direct to home dialing.

Comment

Originally posted by boyd22 View Post
                    for the Destiny, time really doesn't matter to it...since the ship was never ment to be manned for an extended period, it doesn't have to rush to get to where it wants to go
                    Sorry, I don't know if I'm misinterpreting anything, but wasn't the purpose of the Destiny to eventually be manned, but the Ancients just never got around to it because of the whole plague thing?
                    Science without religion is lame. Religion without science is blind. -Albert Einstein

I'm beginning to realize no one actually reads my posts.

Comment

Originally posted by sunrek View Post
                      Sorry, I don't know if I'm misinterpreting anything, but wasn't the purpose of the Destiny to eventually be manned, but the Ancients just never got around to it because of the whole plague thing?
                      yes when the ship got out far enough into the Universe, the Ancients intended on using it to explore the planets the seeder ship planted gates on...but i dont think the Ancients intended on permanently manning the ship once it go to that point...its likely they would have periodically gated to the ship when it got far enough out, check things out for awhile and then gate back home...

of course theres no way of knowing what the Ancient's really intended because they never got to that point, so thats just speculation...

Comment

Originally posted by Rise Of The Phoenix View Post
                        Something some of you may be able to answer is will we still see stars in between the voids between galaxies?
                        Should the galaxies be viewable when traveling in the void between galaxies?
                        Technically, there should be small globular clusters in the voids and supervoids between galaxies and their parent superclusters. We should also see a faint dusty surrounding background from all the galaxies, clusters, and superclusters in the distance. Now for the purposes of the show, once the Destiny enters a void, it's very likely for visual purposes they'll show virtually nothing outside the ship except for an FTL effect. I suppose this is to simplify things and just show the viewer, "OK they're in an intergalactic void."
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by puddlejumper747 View Post
                          P.S. -- On a side note... just how realistic is the number of stars that we see whizzing past the ship on all sides? (I assume it's possible to estimate their FTL speed, just based on how quickly we see the stars passing by... and then perhaps we could estimate how many years the Destiny might spend traveling around any given galaxy? ...maybe? This is a bit beyond my field of expertise.)
                          Depends how fast it's going, really. I like to use Star Trek as an example of this: even at very high warp (say 2 or 3 LY/day), the stars would barely seem to move.

Taking Rush's estimate of the Destiny being several billion lightyears into its journey, and launched several million years ago, that averages out at around a thousand lightyears a year, or around 3LY/day. But I'm not wholly convinced by this. Unless the entire show is going to take place in one galaxy, then the ship needs to speed up significantly, or hundreds of years will pass before it finishes its crossing.

I can only assume that the Destiny's ftl is actually much faster than a few measly lightyears per day, but it spends a lot of time arsing around in realspace, for want of a better term.

Comment

Well, if it takes the Daedalus about 4 weeks to reach Pegasus, with Hyperspace...

It depends whether FTL is faster or slower than Hyperspace travel. It would stand to reason that FTL is slower, seeing as it came before the Hyperdrive, but it could easily be faster, yet require some really rare & exotic element to work, thus why it hasn't been replicated.

Possibly, the Destiny only travels at an average speed through Galaxies, then when it reaches the end- powers up, and jumps at a high speed to the next Galaxy, draining a lot of it's power.

Comment

Simply from a practical and plot point of view the Destiny has to be very quick travelling from one Galaxy to another. The writers can't have the characters doing nothing while travelling through an intergalactic void for several episodes/a season. The FTL is either very efficient or i'd actually put money on pre-constructed Supergates laid out for the Destiny. It sounds the most plausible in regards to established facts imo.

Comment

Working...
                              X