PDA

View Full Version : What good is the shutle?

Automission
October 27th, 2009, 01:54 PM
If the destiny only stops at planets with gates, theres no use for the shuttle, just use the gate to get there of course. (unless you could use it to explore planets quicker, which would of made sense for air part 3)
But then the destiny won't stop anywhere else, where the shuttle could be useful.

So pray tell, what could you use the shuttle for, other than a plot device? Also didn't it have a broken window in air part 1? whatever happened to that?

EvilSpaceAlien
October 27th, 2009, 01:57 PM
If the destiny only stops at planets with gates, theres no use for the shuttle, just use the gate to get there of course. (unless you could use it to explore planets quicker, which would of made sense for air part 3)
But then the destiny won't stop anywhere else, where the shuttle could be useful.

So pray tell, what could you use the shuttle for, other than a plot device? Also didn't it have a broken window in air part 1? whatever happened to that?

There is two shuttles. Only one of them had a broken window.

I'm just going to assume that the ancients would know how to turn off the autopilot if they intended to board the Destiny later on. Since that never happened the autopilot is still on and the humans on board the Destiny don't know how to turn it off.

creed462
October 27th, 2009, 02:06 PM
Also, They were never expected to leave the ship during refueling. Maybe the Destiny is more stationary when not powering

Automission
October 27th, 2009, 02:11 PM
Ahh I didn't know there were two, I must of missed that when it was raised during the show. I suppose it could of been used if the auto pilot was turned off, though I still can't see what practical use it would have.

The Prophet
October 27th, 2009, 02:12 PM
If they ever find objects in space, such as investigating a satellite, or another ship that they could dock with.

GuHNDoi
October 27th, 2009, 03:27 PM
I see it as a case of,

It's better to have one and not need it, than to need one and not have it.

Mythophile
October 27th, 2009, 03:39 PM
I get the feeling that these ships were also designed to carry colonists to newly gated worlds in other galaxies. I suspect the shuttles were for vessel-vessel transportation rather than vessel-world transportation.

Eternal Density
October 27th, 2009, 04:12 PM
What if they wanted to visit the moon of a planet with a gate? Need a shuttle for that.

Starborne
October 27th, 2009, 05:47 PM
Maybe its used in the case of an emergency, like lifeboats.

Dain
October 27th, 2009, 06:00 PM
The ship was build with the assumption that an Ancient crew would ewventually arrive and turn the autopilot off.

The Destiny travels through galaxies that are completely uncolonized. Though some seeder Stargates are already pre-installed on several planets by other Ancient ships, there supposedly isn't yet a vast Stargate network in place like in the Milky Way or Pegasus galaxy that connects everything with each other.

So it is very likely that the Ancient crew of the Destiny, if it ever had arrived, would have wanted to visit many planets, moons or other things that weren't yet connected to their Stargate infrastructure.

Avenger
October 27th, 2009, 06:01 PM
Suppose there are planets in systems that they could visit that don't have gates?

Nemises
October 27th, 2009, 06:01 PM
There must be instructions on atlantis on how to disable the auto-pilot because the ancients intended to board it after thousands of years so obviously they would have left instructions for the future generations on how to run the destiny.

koroush47
October 27th, 2009, 07:27 PM
There must be instructions on atlantis on how to disable the auto-pilot because the ancients intended to board it after thousands of years so obviously they would have left instructions for the future generations on how to run the destiny.

They could of just learned before they got onto the ships.

Or maybe it was just basic sense for them.. since they were so smart.. Like using a PC is to us compared to a mac user.

(Yes I am hinting mac users are stupid. It was a great example thats all.)

Eternal Density
October 27th, 2009, 07:46 PM
There's not enough shuttles for them to be used as lifeboats. Better hope they avoid hitting any icebergs.

Dervish
October 27th, 2009, 10:55 PM
Cargo transfer. If you need to go shopping, it's much preferable to take the car than to walk there and lug everything back. The shuttle's just one big, flying, station wagon.

They can load up the shuttle and take everything in one trip, or hoof it through the gate and lug everything back, maybe having to make multiple trips. Even if you didn't care about the inconvenience, there's still the matter of the countdown timer threatening to jump the ship out of the system before you're done.

malfunction
October 28th, 2009, 05:38 AM
Is it just me or is the shuttle quite primitive? It uses engines that seem to be combustion fueled and the maneuvering thrusters seem as if they would be more at home on a NASA shuttle and not an Ancient shuttle.

Wayston
October 28th, 2009, 05:42 AM
undoubtedly the ancients prefer travelling by shuttle rather than on foot whenever possible... also remember the trouble the team had in Air with exploring the desert planet... ancients using a shuttle would be able to traverse those tiny walked distances in mere seconds

malfunction
October 28th, 2009, 05:45 AM
undoubtedly the ancients prefer travelling by shuttle rather than on foot whenever possible... also remember the trouble the team had in Air with exploring the desert planet... ancients using a shuttle would be able to traverse those tiny walked distances in mere seconds

That is probably why they invented the puddle jumpers later in their civilisation, we know a jumper can fly around a planet quite quickly.

DJFavorite
October 28th, 2009, 10:14 AM
Ahh I didn't know there were two, I must of missed that when it was raised during the show. I suppose it could of been used if the auto pilot was turned off, though I still can't see what practical use it would have.

The second one is the one the senator died on trying to close the door.

I agree with someone else who mentioned the 'station wagon' analogy. If they have supplies they need to get froma planet but it's too far from the gate and too big to carry, the shuttle would be good to get the supplies back to Destiny.

maddmike
October 28th, 2009, 12:22 PM
Rush mentioned in an earlier episode about there being other such ships that have been on auto pilot, in future episodes maybe they will find another one of these ships and try and board it for supplies (life support).

Dain
October 28th, 2009, 02:52 PM
Is it just me or is the shuttle quite primitive? It uses engines that seem to be combustion fueled and the maneuvering thrusters seem as if they would be more at home on a NASA shuttle and not an Ancient shuttle.

A more fitting term would be that the shuttle is simply more realistic than the Jumpers. By about an order of magnitude. That's what this show is going for.

Of course, by actually behaving like a real space craft and requiring maneuvring thusters, it naturally looks less advanced than previous craft which were just zipping around with magic.

Captain Obvious
October 28th, 2009, 03:00 PM
quite frankly, I am pretty thrilled so far with the technology on destiny. It is all fairly realistic.

we have a realistic shuttle, realistic life support, an interesting, easy to explain (to a laymen) power supply system ( solar powered, not mysterious " zero point" energy), and not a crystal in sight!

Tawny
October 28th, 2009, 06:57 PM
and not a crystal in sight!

I think I disagree with that bit :P (Inside spoilers)
When (Volker?) is trying to close the outer hatch to the leaky shuttle, it looks like he's using a crystal interface in the wall to try to shut the door.

And I agree with the station wagon thing, and also for checking out asteroids and the like.

koroush47
October 28th, 2009, 07:55 PM
shuttle is just ugly.

The Prophet
October 29th, 2009, 09:25 AM
shuttle is just ugly.

Aesthetics aren't important when you're thousands of galaxies away from anyone that would share the same tastes as you.

young74205
November 2nd, 2009, 06:04 PM
I agree with the earlier comments on the shuttle looking realistic. I'm glad to see them adding the RCS jets firing to show a change in attitude. An earlier comment mentioned there being two shuttles on the Destiny, however, I think there might have originally been at least three shuttles on the ship. During the episode "Light" in the shots of the docking clamps being released, you can see a dashed oval landing target painted on the hull below the ship. When you go back to the episode "Air Pt. 3" in the closing scene -- when the camera pulls back and we see the alien ship fly off, you can see another of these oval landing targets painted on the hull -- but no shuttle? Does this mean a shuttle is missing, maybe we'll find out with time.

So far we've seen obviously the stargate and shuttle to leave the Destiny, however in situations if the ship is in orbit around a planet, will the ship have the ring transporter to beam down crewmembers to the planet?

jcoy
November 3rd, 2009, 01:57 AM
shuttle is just ugly.

When they built Destiny rust was very fashionable. Some of their earlier ships look like disco balls. ;)