Daniel Jackson/Vala Mal Doran Ship/Discussion/Appreciation Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Margaret
    Daniel has dishonored himself and disgraced Hammond's command. He better hope that no one gets a look at those security tapes, or he's going to be reading about himself in the newspapers. Can you imagine how mortified he'd be?
    Okay, I'm going to hope this doesn't come across snarky...

Actually, as a matter of point, it's actually fairly standard to either remove a prisoner's clothing or have them remove them. That isn't what those people are on trial for. They're on trial for degrading and humiliating those prisoners and especially for taking photographs.

So if Daniel is smart, he removed Vala's clothing and redressed her in full view of a security camera to prove that nothing inappropriate went on while she was unconscious.

Technically he didn't even have to redress her - he could have undressed her in the cell to make sure she didn't have anything hidden in that costume (rendering the whole argument as to whether the suit deflected staff blasts or not moot), then simply left the jumpsuit for her to put on when she came to. Oh yeah, he would have been justified in doing a body cavity search too, but we're going to sidestep that, since it's really too squicky to contemplate.

Granted, these things are generally done by members of the same gender as the prisoner, but considering that the abuses that are now coming to light were perpetrated by both sexes and that Daniel was alone on the ship (which doesn't relieve him of the responsibility of making sure she's been thoroughly searched and disarmed) I think we can sort of leave the gender issues aside in this case.

Did he look? Well, duh. But I'm fairly confident that he didn't do anything degrading or humiliating to her or take pictures to show his buddies back at the SGC. So I think he's pretty safe.

Peace out

Courser

Comment

But of course Daniel would completely abandon all procedure in regard to treatment of hostiles, because he's such a gentleman.

Later,
      Graculus

Comment

Originally posted by courser
        Actually, as a matter of point, it's actually fairly standard to either remove a prisoner's clothing or have them remove them.
        OK, this is a good point.

BUT:

Vala was wearing a close-fitting leotard. It would be hard to conceal anything in it -- it was designed to be as revealing as possible!

If Daniel's purpose was to search her for weapons, why would he say, "I kept my eyes closed the whole time"? Wouldn't he say something like, "Just checking to see if you have anything up your sleeve"?

Why would he believe that the suit deflects energy weapons when he just proved it didn't by zatting her?

For awhile, I thought maybe the suit was part of the armor. I know he took the supersoldier armor to wear when he left the ship. But he wasn't wearing the suit, only the plastic pieces of armour. Now, granted, Daniel is not going to fit into anything made for Vala, but the suit couldn't have been of any use to him. So I am without any plausible explanation for why he removed it. The fact that he was taunting her suggests that he undressed her as 'payback' for the sexual come-ons. The gestures on the monitor show how angry and irritated he is with her.

I would like for there to be a rational reason why Daniel would undress her, but the script isn't very encouraging at this point.

Comment

Originally posted by graculus
          But of course Daniel would completely abandon all procedure in regard to treatment of hostiles, because he's such a gentleman.
          Riiiiight... because it's worked so well for him in the past (to abandon procedure)

And really, you've got to give him points for redressing her! I mean it's like trying to shove cooked noodles up a straw!

Peace out
          Courser

Comment

I thought Daniel was being sarcastic when he said he kept his eyes closed. I didn't believe it for a second. But I'm sticking with the idea that the suit might have been boosting her strength in some way.

Daniel definitely has a petty side, though.

Later,
            Graculus

Comment

OK, this is a good point.

BUT:

Vala was wearing a close-fitting leotard. It would be hard to conceal anything in it -- it was designed to be as revealing as possible!
              True, but she still could have been concealing something, like a thin blade. In fact, considering her actions, I'd consider it rather likely. Not so much for attack purposes, but to help her get out of bindings. It was close fitting, but that's not to say that she couldn't have been hiding stuff.

If Daniel's purpose was to search her for weapons, why would he say, "I kept my eyes closed the whole time"? Wouldn't he say something like, "Just checking to see if you have anything up your sleeve"?
              Actually, I think he was being snide.

So I am without any plausible explanation for why he removed it. The fact that he was taunting her suggests that he undressed her as 'payback' for the sexual come-ons. The gestures on the monitor show how angry and irritated he is with her.

I would like for there to be a rational reason why Daniel would undress her, but the script isn't very encouraging at this point.
              I still think the SOP explanation suffices. While it may not completely absorb, deflect, whatever zat blasts, it could very well have other properties. I really don't think he did it merely to get back at her - it would have been far more compromising, not to mention entertaining, to force her to take it off at zat-point. It's really not much fun undressing someone who's unconscious. Having her wear unfamiliar clothing is again an intelligence technique. It's a psychological tactic.

And I thought he looked more frustrated with her than angry. Frustrated that she wasn't the least bit phased at being locked up and still unwilling to give him the answers he needed. But I'll certainly buy into 'irritated'

Peace out
              Courser

Comment

I wanted to post Daniel doing his "watcha talkin' about, Willis!" face, but I still can't get into danielfriendly. Is there another good repository of Prometheus Unbound screenshots out there?

Later,
                Graculus

Comment

No, I'm not asking for Daniel to be dumb. But I'm not above inquiring into his motives.

I'm CERTAINLY not asking him to trust Vala! You must know this Grac, I've spent the better part of the thread telling you what a thoroughly untrustworthy, lying, conniving, vamp she is. No good for Daniel. No good a-tall!

What I see here is a script where Daniel responds with blow for blow: Vala hits him, he hits her; she takes advantage of him in a sexual way, he does the same to her. She lies to him repeatedly; he zats her because he's tired of listening to her lies.

Now, what I like about Daniel is that he throws himself into things; he's fully engaged. He'll jump off the deep end with both feet, he doesn't just dabble his toes in the water. And he's fully engaged here -- he's giving as good as he gets!

But I don't mind being a bit of a deconstructionist and saying, "What happens if I pull this little thread here, this little thread that Mr. Kindler left hanging down? Oops -- it unravels! Well, willya lookit that! Dang! Whoda thought?"

In the real world, if Daniel was caught undressing a female prisoner in his custody, it wouldn't be a question of whether he was a gentleman or not, it'd be a question of whether he was a felon or not.

Comment

Try this:

http://stargate-sg1.hu/photos/

Comment

Testing:

http://www.stargatedanielfriendly.ne...egalleries.php

Comment

Thanks for the pics site!

The Ben Browder thread is saying that his character should hate Vala in order to differentiate his character from Crichton off the bat. That would give Daniel an opportunity to defend her...

Later,
                        Graculus

Comment

In the real world, if Daniel was caught undressing a female prisoner in his custody, it wouldn't be a question of whether he was a gentleman or not, it'd be a question of whether he was a felon or not.
                          I think we'll have to agree to disagree on this point, Margaret.

You'll never convince me that he isn't doing exactly as he's been trained, more or less. He's been on the front lines of the SGC since it's inception and a lot has been learned.

If he were part of a civilian police force? You have a perfectly valid point. But as part of a military unit (whether or not he's military himself)? Um, no. I know, it's not pretty, but the military conventions are quite different from the civilian ones. I'm betting he toed the line pretty darn close.

That said, I'll wholeheartedly agree that he took just a bit of pleasure in 'getting her back'. Not by ogling her naked, unconscious body (because frankly I don't think Vala particularly cares about that), but simply by getting 'one up' on her. I think she was completely speaking the truth when she said that she'd meant to distract him while she was undressing and 'kick him in the head'. And she wasn't telling him anything he didn't already know... which is why he did it while she was unconscious. Robbed her of all her fun, he did.

Peace out
                          Courser

Comment

The Ben Browder thread is saying that his character should hate Vala in order to differentiate his character from Crichton off the bat. That would give Daniel an opportunity to defend her...
                            Oh, I don't want the BB character to hate her to the point Daniel has to defend her... But I'll certainly agree that I'd like to see a different sort of dynamic between them.

I'm going for him thinking that she's such a wack-a-doodle that he can't see why Daniel wastes his time. At the same time, I'd like to see Vala trying to pit the men against each other to get her way

And I was the 'friend' that Graculus mentioned in her post this morning about Teal'c. Simply put, can you imagine anyone *less* likely to give Daniel sympathy over Vala kicking his carcass all over the room?

I'm all for Teal'c offering Jaffa advice on courtship!

Edited to change 'thread' to 'post this morning'. It was in this thread - not a different one.

Peace out
                            Courser
                            Last edited by courser; 28 December 2004, 04:20 PM. Reason: Used the wrong word

Comment

I liked your idea about Daniel feeling ambiguous about Vala but not wanting Ben Browder's character to have her: that alone could spark low key rivalry and a world 'o pettiness.

Daniel's response when Vala snuggles up next to Ben Browder's character:

Comment

Daniel's response when Teal'c observes he has been courting Vala and tells him the next step of the courtship ritual requires a weapon...

Last edited by graculus; 28 December 2004, 04:46 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X