PDA

View Full Version : Now the fun can begin...

_Ancients_
October 25th, 2009, 11:45 PM
Now that they have enough power and a majority of the systems are starting to come on line, I am ready for them to start discovering more of the ship. Hopefully they can learn more about the Ancients while they are at it.

Jack_Bauer
October 26th, 2009, 01:13 AM
Now that they have enough power and a majority of the systems are starting to come on line, I am ready for them to start discovering more of the ship. Hopefully they can learn more about the Ancients while they are at it.

Oh god I hope so. I bet the newer viewers have no idea what these 'Ancient' things are they keep talking about

IcarusAbides
October 26th, 2009, 04:29 AM
Seems as the next episode is called Water i wouldn't get your hopes up for lots of ship exploration for the moment.

Encoder
October 26th, 2009, 05:42 AM
I'd love it if it were true, but power restoration doesn't guarantee access to those subsystems.

The main controls are likely going to have to be cracked, but at least Young can send his "people around to start turning every bloody system on" again :)

:sheppard:

Flyboy
October 26th, 2009, 05:59 AM
Please, for the love of God, NO!

Orion Antreas
October 26th, 2009, 06:02 AM

Why?

EvilSpaceAlien
October 26th, 2009, 06:05 AM
Why?

I second that why.

Encoder
October 26th, 2009, 06:06 AM
Why :indeed:

Sorry...pointless post...just wanted to see Teal'c :P

:sheppard:

renboy
October 26th, 2009, 06:53 AM
Some of the most intriguing and fun episodes in Atlantis were when they found new places within the city itself, experiments or otherwise.
I found these much more enjoyable then wraith stories or the 'random medival civilization of the week' stories.

Of course, Universe also has the potential to have Stargates on really weird planets - and given the premise that there will be no "rubber face" or english speaking aliens - the exploration should be much more interesting then the usual "Forest planet with a village of some human looking aliens that have a society with some twist/secret to it".

Inquisitor
October 26th, 2009, 07:01 AM
Seems as the next episode is called Water i wouldn't get your hopes up for lots of ship exploration for the moment.

Given the previous behaviour of the show maybe this episode is about them having fun in the showers :/

Mongoletsi
October 26th, 2009, 07:04 AM
Given the previous behaviour of the show maybe this episode is about them having fun in the showers :/

I'd "red" you if I could!

Replicator Todd
October 26th, 2009, 08:48 AM

:indeed: Im hoping for them to finally find the bridge too...

GateroomGuard
October 26th, 2009, 08:52 AM
The time of the maguffins is at hand. :cool:

Trelak
October 26th, 2009, 09:30 AM
This ship will reveal alot about the ancients, so i'm exited , but also the new aliens sound cool. i wonder how they will communicate etc :)

Flyboy
October 26th, 2009, 10:05 AM
I second that why.
Because then the series will once again, just as with Sg1 S9-AoT and SGA become 'about the ancients'.

For once the Ancient tech has worked for me. Why? Cause it's not doing us a favour all the time. It's just there. And because we can't use it, the show remains about us. Who we are. Where we come from. I do NOT want to see SGU become ANOTHER God damn show about an millenia old alien race who seem to be God's gift to the universe in every role except compassion. The ancients THOROUGHLY piss me off, as does TPTB inexplicable obsession with them since S7 of SG1. They ruined Stargate for me, because TPTB couldn't just keep them confined to SGA, and I do not want what is essentially a HUMAN character driven show to once again fall into the trap of obsessing over how great the ancients are.

Want ancients? Go watch SGA and SG1 S8-AoT.

(Just my opinion)

Hermiiod
October 26th, 2009, 10:45 AM
Agreed. :mckay:

thekillman
October 26th, 2009, 01:14 PM
next up:

evil Asgard suits: more racial ingenuity thrown at the window for purposeful ancient worshiping by the writers.
*pukes*

then again, should've seen that coming. these suits must have cost a pretty penny, too expensive for 2 episodes.

ha'tak_
October 26th, 2009, 01:32 PM

well I so hope so, I have been waiting for some action and for it to get a bit like the old sg-1 ( exploring new worlds) :D

creed462
October 26th, 2009, 01:51 PM
They also have to figure out what happened to the water so there may be some ship exploration to solve that problem

Less
October 26th, 2009, 02:29 PM
well I so hope so, I have been waiting for some action and for it to get a bit like the old sg-1 ( exploring new worlds) :D

My thinking at the end of this episode:
Well, now that we've got THAT out of the way, maybe the good part of the show can start. I was sad to think that the first 25% of the season is something I hope to never have to think about again. Maybe now that the cast has "faced their doom" they can be less annoying.

This was the best episode so far, though that is damning with faint praise.

Doesn't have to be like SG1, doesn't have to be "like" anything else other than a show I enjoy watching. I'm optimistic!

EvilSpaceAlien
October 26th, 2009, 02:32 PM
Because then the series will once again, just as with Sg1 S9-AoT and SGA become 'about the ancients'.

For once the Ancient tech has worked for me. Why? Cause it's not doing us a favour all the time. It's just there. And because we can't use it, the show remains about us. Who we are. Where we come from. I do NOT want to see SGU become ANOTHER God damn show about an millenia old alien race who seem to be God's gift to the universe in every role except compassion. The ancients THOROUGHLY piss me off, as does TPTB inexplicable obsession with them since S7 of SG1. They ruined Stargate for me, because TPTB couldn't just keep them confined to SGA, and I do not want what is essentially a HUMAN character driven show to once again fall into the trap of obsessing over how great the ancients are.

(Just my opinion)

I don't care much about the ancient tech. I just want them to explore more parts of the ship. That was one of the things that was wrong with Atlantis. They didn't spend enough time exploring the city.

ha'tak_
October 26th, 2009, 03:07 PM
My thinking at the end of this episode:
Well, now that we've got THAT out of the way, maybe the good part of the show can start. I was sad to think that the first 25% of the season is something I hope to never have to think about again. Maybe now that the cast has "faced their doom" they can be less annoying.

This was the best episode so far, though that is damning with faint praise.

Doesn't have to be like SG1, doesn't have to be "like" anything else other than a show I enjoy watching. I'm optimistic!

well not 100% alike, I was talking most about the part of exploring new worlds and have NO idea of what can be behind the gate

Less
October 26th, 2009, 04:17 PM
well not 100% alike, I was talking most about the part of exploring new worlds and have NO idea of what can be behind the gate

Yeah, I think you and I are in agreement. Sense of wonder, exploration, adventure, problem solving - that's the good stuff!

Commander Zelix
October 26th, 2009, 04:28 PM
I don't care much about the ancient tech. I just want them to explore more parts of the ship. That was one of the things that was wrong with Atlantis. They didn't spend enough time exploring the city.
What do you mean by that? You don't care about ancient tech, yet you want them to explore the Destiny as they should have with the Atlantis?

What type of thing do you want them to discover while exploring? Personally, I see them exploring the ship and finding the ancient techs the only points of it plotwise (beside very few odd episodes where something else can happen).

That question goes for everybody that keep saying stuff about exploring the destiny and the Atlantis dead city before.

Sonicbluemustang
October 26th, 2009, 04:39 PM
Exploring new worlds is what everybody wants and meeting new species. Hopefully they will get on to it in the next few episodes. :)

IcarusAbides
October 26th, 2009, 04:56 PM
Exploring new worlds is what everybody wants and meeting new species. Hopefully they will get on to it in the next few episodes. :)
I would assume that they will have to go to a new planet to source some water for the ship so some exploration should occur. Personally i like that this show has been different and that we haven't been rushed into a hostile alien species already and i like the fact that they haven't solved all of their problems by now and have started putting up poster in their rooms as with SGA.

Kaiphantom
October 26th, 2009, 08:47 PM
Another way of looking at this now.

The ship has power. There's nothing keeping them from bringing in Sam or Rodney (or both!) to help figure out the ship's systems, via the stones. It would obviously be in everyone's best interests for enough experts to be brought in to figure out the ship.

So the writers need to address this.

Sure, there's still need for material concerns (ie, water). But you can volunteer some of those "useless" people to give Rodney and Sam time to help Rush with getting access to the ship's systems. or even other experts, but given that Sam and Rodney are Earth's "best" and if SG command really wants to help those people, then they can spare one or both for awhile.

Eternal Density
October 26th, 2009, 09:02 PM
This of course assumes Sam and Rodney are still alive.

MattSilver 3k
October 26th, 2009, 09:39 PM
This of course assumes Sam and Rodney are still alive.

Killed by her own dye-job and killed by a disgruntled cook giving him lemon chicken respectively.

(EDIT note: Carter's hair in Air was great)

jaffa_CREE!
October 26th, 2009, 09:53 PM
Absolutely! Doesn't have to be "SG1", but let's DO get on with the plot! My fav episode of SG1 was season 1, #1...not because of great acting, great FX, or great anything...but the sheer WONDER of it...

"What you're saying is the gate goes other places?"

From the first step, the unwinding of that whole, wonderous mythology, a whole new way to look at the universe...

I keep HOPING this shaky cam soap opera gets over it's need for shower scenes with embarised nerd and moves on to reveal a new world.

And I was secretly hoping against hope that Destiny WOULD crash into the star, killing the "Days of our lives" reject crew it's currently got.

By the end of SG1 #1 we had a whole new universe to explore, a new enemy, cool new technology...by the end of "Light"...hey, cool, they got the lights turned on...what's next? Getting the water turned on? WOW...can't wait...

Phenom
October 27th, 2009, 06:04 AM

(Just my opinion)

I have to admit that I would have disagreed with you pre-light, however I am now going to second your notion. Selfishly I wouldn't mind a tidbit here and there about the history of the Destiny and stuff like that, but no more is needed in my opinion. Certainly no 'discoveries' of ancients in stasis on the ship or anything like that.

I think they are on the right track for an awesome series and although it took me a little longer than others to find my feet, I hope TPTB stick to their guns and don't look back!

IcarusAbides
October 27th, 2009, 06:13 AM
Another way of looking at this now.

The ship has power. There's nothing keeping them from bringing in Sam or Rodney (or both!) to help figure out the ship's systems, via the stones. It would obviously be in everyone's best interests for enough experts to be brought in to figure out the ship.

So the writers need to address this.

Sure, there's still need for material concerns (ie, water). But you can volunteer some of those "useless" people to give Rodney and Sam time to help Rush with getting access to the ship's systems. or even other experts, but given that Sam and Rodney are Earth's "best" and if SG command really wants to help those people, then they can spare one or both for awhile.
Why is everyone so obsessed with bringing Carter and Mckay into SGU, as a series it needs to stand on its own and being saved by the main characters from the other series would not be a very good way of doing this.

Kaiphantom
October 27th, 2009, 08:17 AM
Why is everyone so obsessed with bringing Carter and Mckay into SGU, as a series it needs to stand on its own and being saved by the main characters from the other series would not be a very good way of doing this.

Actually, I *don't* want them brought in. But currently, the plot *demands* it.

Stargate command knows there are a bunch of people trapped on a failing ship. They have a way to temporarily transport some of the smartest minds up there to help fix the ship and get access to the main systems. If they really want to help them, they'll make those minds available.

Actually, a better method would be for the writers to come up with a way to prevent this scenario such as breaking the communication stones device. The next two episodes are "Water" and "Earth" and we know there is some communicating going on during "Earth" so the stones definitely won't be broken til after then.

The show just needs to address *why* earth's top minds aren't being sent to help with the ship.

Arga
October 27th, 2009, 03:50 PM
and they need to establish why they don't keep trying to dial Earth, now that the power is restored, so that they can have numerous adventures far from Earth...

blackluster
October 27th, 2009, 03:50 PM
Now is an interesting time, yes. The crew have a bit of a reprieve now as the most immediate threats to their lives are taken care of. Food and water are the next hurdle but the timescale for those problems is slightly more forgiving (it's a problem that by it's very nature I think is going to require a trip through the stargate). As another poster mentioned, some of the scientists can begin limited experiments with some systems on the ship.

Something that has intrigued me after reading this thread is the sheer size of Destiny. I doubt it was ever meant to sustain a particularly enormous crew and even if one makes allowance for space for massive supply stores, the ship does seem rather large for it's function. There may be some freaky things waiting in store in some parts of the ship (a thought that springs to mind the possibility that Destiny has been grabbing bio samples from planets which might include living creatures). This might imply some dangerous equipment onboard. There is the intriguing matter of the ships AI as well.

Personally I'm hoping for some dark history of the Ancients to be revealed (I think the fact that the only info on Destiny in Ancient databases is a 9 chevron address is significant) and the possibility of stowaways.

Arga
October 27th, 2009, 04:40 PM
what if the ship thinks that the humans on board are some "invaders", and activates a lethal protection system ? (I doubt it, but it's just a thought among others)..

spinny magee
October 27th, 2009, 04:42 PM
I can't wait for Time
Aliens appear in it and apparently attack personnel on this jungle planet

Eternal Density
October 27th, 2009, 04:45 PM
what if the ship thinks that the humans on board are some "invaders", and activates a lethal protection system ? (I doubt it, but it's just a thought among others)..It has a morality core to stop it from flooding the ship with deadly neurotoxin.

Mythophile
October 27th, 2009, 04:51 PM
It has a morality core to stop it from flooding the ship with deadly neurotoxin.

Well the deadly was in massive sarcasm.

Eternal Density
October 27th, 2009, 06:49 PM
Well the deadly was in massive sarcasm.Keep doing whatever it is you think you're doing. Killing you and giving you good advice aren't mutually exclusive.