PDA

View Full Version : Can't wait for the Shuttle?

faregran
October 25th, 2009, 04:12 PM
OK, I asume Destiny has an agenda to accomplish -a neverending agenda, it seems to be. It stops for nothnig. You can be away, it'll leave. But, having only 2 shuttles, detecting that one of them is trying to catch up, and being intelligent enough -or having been programmed to detect and fly to a star for re-fueling-, can't it wait for the shuttle? Come on, it has no sense.

Another strange point -I won't say plot hole, I hope there's an explanation- is that you have to manually land the shuttle -and remember, against "Destiny's will"- when you have the technology to fly through many galaxies detecting and dialing stargate. Can it have an autopilot for avoiding collisions? Ancients should know Destiny would be difficult to fix if broken...

Duke Flipside
October 25th, 2009, 08:16 PM
I quite like the way it has been handled because, in reality, machines are phenomenally stupid. Like the shuttle's flight computer; it couldn't find an intercept solution because it was trying to fly straight to the Destiny. That doesn't mean there wasn't one, just that a computer won't take factors like potential-speed-boost-from-slingshot into account.

Likewise with the Destiny; there's no need to have programmed the autopilot to check if the shuttle is nearby because it was intended to be flown by Ancients. Ancients who would have been able to tell the Destiny to stop heading for interstellar space whilst they get back on board... They could have programmed it to do all that itself, but they never thought there'd be a situation where it would actually be necessary (just like SGA "Before I Sleep"; Atlantis was originally not programmed to surface if the shield failed because, if there were Ancients around who needed to not drown, they'd tell the city to surface themselves)

I think JM himself has stated that the Destiny has no AI, which makes sense; firstly because on the other hand an AI certainly should have slowed the Destiny to allow the shuttle to catch up, and secondly because an AI would be very un-Ancienty: a subservient consciousness, sent to roam the universe alone awaiting fellow explorers who never came? Seems more like something out the Ori playbook tbh.

MattSilver 3k
October 25th, 2009, 08:53 PM
I quite like the way it has been handled because, in reality, machines are phenomenally stupid. Like the shuttle's flight computer; it couldn't find an intercept solution because it was trying to fly straight to the Destiny. That doesn't mean there wasn't one, just that a computer won't take factors like potential-speed-boost-from-slingshot into account.

Likewise with the Destiny; there's no need to have programmed the autopilot to check if the shuttle is nearby because it was intended to be flown by Ancients. Ancients who would have been able to tell the Destiny to stop heading for interstellar space whilst they get back on board... They could have programmed it to do all that itself, but they never thought there'd be a situation where it would actually be necessary (just like SGA "Before I Sleep"; Atlantis was originally not programmed to surface if the shield failed because, if there were Ancients around who needed to not drown, they'd tell the city to surface themselves)

I think JM himself has stated that the Destiny has no AI, which makes sense; firstly because on the other hand an AI certainly should have slowed the Destiny to allow the shuttle to catch up, and secondly because an AI would be very un-Ancienty: a subservient consciousness, sent to roam the universe alone awaiting fellow explorers who never came? Seems more like something out the Ori playbook tbh.

Exactly. Computers are phenomenally stupid somet-

Saquist
October 25th, 2009, 09:03 PM
Doesn't mean there shouldn't be a set of protocols. It knows enough to activate lights and forcefields for life, and to lock out stargate addresses to avoid exposing people to dangers.

Replicator Todd
October 25th, 2009, 09:21 PM
The Destiny saw a candy bar it wanted really bad so it didn't have time to stop, only an Ancient ship has the power to do that!

Cold Fuzz
October 25th, 2009, 10:47 PM
The Destiny saw a candy bar it wanted really bad so it didn't have time to stop, only an Ancient ship has the power to do that!

It must have had some seriously delicious dark chocolate and peanut butter in that candy bar. :fordanime03:

Avenger
October 25th, 2009, 11:13 PM
If the shuttle was never intended to launch while the ship was in an automated mode, maybe there is no protocol to tell the ship that a shuttle launched. Maybe, due to damage, the ship signal wasn't sent to the computer. Keep in mind though, the ship is doing it's own thing. It wouldn't have stopped for the life support if Rush hadn't told the ship that the the life support was broken. Perhaps the ship needed to be told that the shuttle was launched .

reddevil18
October 26th, 2009, 05:13 AM
The Destiny needs one of these, as a liaison between the humans and the ship:
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_TcG4eEnbqW4/SEow7-Fj3ZI/AAAAAAAAB6M/yY7uUQv_qAw/s400/galaxy_quest_large_11.jpg

Encoder
October 26th, 2009, 05:21 AM
OK, I asume Destiny has an agenda to accomplish -a neverending agenda, it seems to be. It stops for nothnig. You can be away, it'll leave. But, having only 2 shuttles, detecting that one of them is trying to catch up, and being intelligent enough -or having been programmed to detect and fly to a star for re-fueling-, can't it wait for the shuttle? Come on, it has no sense.

It's likely that Destiny may not have the capacity to alter it's default programming until the controls are unlocked. AI does have it's limitations and considering it's primary mission, Destiny may simply have considered the loss of the shuttle as an acceptible loss?!

:sheppard:

Steelbox
October 26th, 2009, 05:45 AM
Four possible explanations:
1. Well it could be that the shuttle also wasn't with its full power since it took of before the destiny recharged its batteries.
2. And/or some malfunction happened and the destiny did not count for the missing shuttle and accelerated
3. And/or didn't knew the shuttle was whit low power and could not keep up
4. And/or Scott didn't knew how to operate it at 100% efficiency

ThePlut
October 26th, 2009, 09:55 AM
The shuttle does have an afterburner button.

And an "auto dock" button.

No one labelled them....

Saquist
October 26th, 2009, 10:16 AM
The Destiny needs one of these, as a liaison between the humans and the ship:
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_TcG4eEnbqW4/SEow7-Fj3ZI/AAAAAAAAB6M/yY7uUQv_qAw/s400/galaxy_quest_large_11.jpg

I could use one of those, sir.

Stormtrooper
October 26th, 2009, 10:52 AM
Air, Part 3 - Destiny waits for away team because Eli stuck his arm into the Stargate's event horizon.

Light - Destiny detects shuttle with 17 people on board attempting to make its way back, and yet it doesn't stop/slow down.

Are 17 lives + a shuttle less worthy than Mr. Wallace's arm?

Mongoletsi
October 26th, 2009, 11:04 AM
Air, Part 3 - Destiny waits for away team because Eli stuck his arm into the Stargate's event horizon.

Light - Destiny detects shuttle with 17 people on board attempting to make its way back, and yet it doesn't stop/slow down.

Are 17 lives + a shuttle less worthy than Mr. Wallace's arm?

Destiny didn't wait for the away team. Destiny waited for the gate to close before it jumped to FTL.

Stormtrooper
October 26th, 2009, 11:15 AM
Destiny didn't wait for the away team. Destiny waited for the gate to close before it jumped to FTL.

And why was that?

garhkal
October 26th, 2009, 04:10 PM
Because Eli had his arm in the event horizon. Gate protocols prevent it shuting down, so it had to wait.

Sim
October 26th, 2009, 05:18 PM
They had to give Eli SOMETHING to do to make himself useful.. Thus far all he's accomplished are... kinos... which anyone could have done really..

Plus you forget they have to obey the ticking clock for suspense. If they didn't have this PiS moment the writers couldn't use the ticking clock :(.

Whitering
October 26th, 2009, 05:26 PM
AI is essentially an intelligent program that responds to unpredictable situations and forms a common sense or higher grade response. We haven't actually seen Destiny make any intelligent decisions yet.

1) Turning on life support when the gate activated, simple script, no different really than motion sensing lights.

2) Stop in range of a planet, especially if Rush told it what was needed. That's basically a database search, simple.

3) Not leaving when the gate is active is also probably programmed as a safety feature as that would destabilize the wormhole and maybe kill the travelers.

4) Running out of power, easy, script, shut down non essential functions, if humans aboard, life support=essential function. Then a script for finding a way to recharge, meaning, in Destiny's case, find an appropriate star.

No intelligence yet that I can see. I agree a script could have handled the shuttle issue, but would have been slightly more complex. Well, it was necessary for dramatic effect for it to be a close call.

Eternal Density
October 26th, 2009, 08:38 PM
Agreed, plus it seemed to me that it was trying but failing to do something while Eli was holding the gate open.
[edit]
I could use one of those, sir.:jack:I'll take a dozen!
For that comment, I've decided to remove you from my ignore list.

GateroomGuard
October 26th, 2009, 08:42 PM
Maybe it doesn't have an AI... but what about a VI ala Mass Effect?

Kaiphantom
October 26th, 2009, 08:57 PM
Actually, the ship *was* powering up and attempting to jump into FTL. It felt very much like it *couldn't* because the gate was still active. And the gate was active due to safety protocol.

It seems like, if they had waited a bit too long, maybe the ship would have torn itself apart trying to jump into FTL.

The ship doesn't have an AI, just has a LOT of code programmed into it. IF/THEN statements, really. From a programming standpoint, you can enable a lot of automation if you can anticipate the situations your code will encounter.

miles27
October 27th, 2009, 04:11 AM
as far as we can tell it has two functioning shuttle pods (one shuttle fuctioning but does it know that) maybe it believed loss of one could be managable until it built a new replacement (we don't have the slightest clue what this ship is capable of producing, rebuilding totally none functioning parts would be on my want list if i was sending out a unmanned long-term mission (not quite as long as it has took) like this. as to the people i the shuttle well why did they not hit the emergency stop button, every ancient knows it is the button with the little sad face and waving hand on. (if only they had the destiny manual or the command of the ship.

escyos
October 27th, 2009, 10:47 PM
well i assume that the ancients would have stopped destiny from leaving before the shuttle arrived, but we cant stop it yet

escyos
October 27th, 2009, 10:47 PM
oh and maybe destiny was designed to pressurise and fill the ship with air when it dropped out of FTL

The Prophet
October 27th, 2009, 10:51 PM
Possibly "JUMP TO FTL AFTER 12 HOURS" has a higher priority than everything else, for whatever reason the Ancients decided?

Eternal Density
October 27th, 2009, 11:17 PM
Possibly "JUMP TO FTL AFTER 12 HOURS" has a higher priority than everything else, for whatever reason the Ancients decided?Perhaps it has its refueling stops planned out and wants to stay on schedule so it can make the right planetary alignments?

Tawny
October 28th, 2009, 07:07 PM
Perhaps it has its refueling stops planned out and wants to stay on schedule so it can make the right planetary alignments?

Pretty good theory if the course is mapped out before jumping to FTL, though that might cause some serious issues if a rogue asteroid gets in its path. (Speculation really, not sure exactly how the FDO drive works yet. It could crash, it could just plow straight through them)

Eternal Density
October 28th, 2009, 07:16 PM
(Speculation really, not sure exactly how the FDO drive works yet. It could crash, it could just plow straight through them)I'd pay to see that :D

Tawny
October 28th, 2009, 07:28 PM
I'd pay to see that :D

As would I :P

The crew is just doing their thing, and there's a massive grinding boom, and the ship shakes alot.
Young: "What the hell was that?"
Rush(In that snarky tone he uses): "It seems we have just flown directly through a planet."

Eternal Density
October 28th, 2009, 07:45 PM
As would I :P

The crew is just doing their thing, and there's a massive grinding boom, and the ship shakes alot.
Young: "What the hell was that?"
Rush(In that snarky tone he uses): "It seems we have just flown directly through a planet."
Eli: what are all those furry creatures drifting in space?

Tawny
October 28th, 2009, 07:51 PM
Eli: what are all those furry creatures drifting in space?

Oh noes :P It's the Furlings!

koroush47
October 28th, 2009, 07:55 PM
The destiny hasn't even been activated yet.

My guess is when the ancients arrive they punch in a code and they can use it. The humans cannot apparently.. Rush can't get access to the control panels.

As far as the destiny is concerned it's only job is to fly in the way they told it to and explore.

Eternal Density
October 28th, 2009, 08:36 PM
If they don't activate Destiny within 30 days, it will start rebooting itself every hour and playing nagging messages.

garhkal
October 29th, 2009, 03:43 PM
The destiny hasn't even been activated yet.

My guess is when the ancients arrive they punch in a code and they can use it. The humans cannot apparently.. Rush can't get access to the control panels.

As far as the destiny is concerned it's only job is to fly in the way they told it to and explore.

Kind of like how the ancients took over atlantis in the return?

Cory Holmes
October 30th, 2009, 08:09 AM
Kind of like how the ancients took over atlantis in the return?
Probably more like how you log onto a computer after coming back from lunch. While it's logged off, there are all sorts of background programs and processes running which are inaccessable until you log in and can change them as your security level will allow.

That would also explain why the Destiny didn't consider the shuttle during it's mission: it wasn't part of Destiny's program. The ship (hopefully) doesn't have an AI running it, just a complex program of how to go about its tasks regardless of what the hairless monkeys inside are doing (assuming its even aware the D-Team is there).