Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Senator's Pills/Medication Mistake or Plothole?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Senator's Pills/Medication Mistake or Plothole?

Why was the Senator taking Warfarin for his chest pain? Did he mix up his pills or did the writers make a mistake? He should have been taking nitrates

http://www.drugs.com/warfarin.html

A heart-attack preventative, etc...

???
    sigpic

See ya at the con, baby! (L.A. '11) (L.A. '10) (L.A. '09) (Burbank '08) (Burbank '07)

Comment

Originally posted by Hypochondriac View Post
      Why was the Senator taking Warfarin for his chest pain? Did he mix up his pills or did the writers make a mistake? He should have been taking nitrates
      It was a blood thinner. A lot of people take them to prevent heart attack and stroke.
      Secretary-General of GATO ¤ Defender of F.O.R.D.

Comment

Originally posted by Major Tyler View Post
        It was a blood thinner. A lot of people take them to prevent heart attack and stroke.
        I know that, but he took them when he was feeling chest pain, which is wrong. You take nitrates when you feel pain. Also you usually take warfarin once a day He took them 2 or 3 times within a few hours or each other

So I guess it was a mistake by the writers, so they could have an excuse to get rid of the guy?

Comment

I know that, but he took them when he was feeling chest pain, which is wrong. You take nitrates when you feel pain. Also you usually take warfarin once a day He took them 2 or 3 times within a few hours or each other
          Or maybe he was having chest pains because his blood wasn't circulating well, hence the need for blood thinners.
          Secretary-General of GATO ¤ Defender of F.O.R.D.

Comment

So I guess it was a mistake by the writers, so they could have an excuse to get rid of the guy?
            You are correct about the drugs. They should have had him on both a nitrate and the warfarin, instead they conflated the actions of the two drugs for simplicity's sake. His injuries and the warfarin would easily have been enough to kill him, even if he never brought a single pill more along with him. That stuff takes forever to wear off.

However, having been on warfarin wouldn't have been as dramatic as the chest pain episodes, nor would it have given Chloe and TJ a way to try to intervene. So that's why they added the behavior that suggested he was on a nitrate, IMHO.

In the past they've done better with their drugs, I think. Warfarin might prevent a heart attack, but long term. Not short term. If you pop it like he was you'll surely kill yourself if even you're completely healthy.

Comment

Maybe he was just in shock, maybe he lost the other drug and that one was the only thing he had.
              Last edited by Eestlanna; 29 October 2009, 08:44 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Eestlanna View Post
                Maybe he was just on shock, maybe he lost the other drug and that one was the only thing he had.
                That's what I was thinking. Or that he'd left the other one behind, grabbed the wrong one, whatever.
                sigpic

See ya at the con, baby! (L.A. '11) (L.A. '10) (L.A. '09) (Burbank '08) (Burbank '07)

Comment

It was necessary for the senator to take warfarin, a blood thinner, as he needed to be dying of internal bleeding so that he would the heroic self-sacrificing thing and save his daughter and everybody else w/o everybody feeling guilty about it.

However, TPTB have never been truly accurate with the medical stuff on the show. It can make you cringe big-time, especially when it comes to head injuries...

Comment

Originally posted by prion View Post
                    It was necessary for the senator to take warfarin, a blood thinner, as he needed to be dying of internal bleeding so that he would the heroic self-sacrificing thing and save his daughter and everybody else w/o everybody feeling guilty about it.

However, TPTB have never been truly accurate with the medical stuff on the show. It can make you cringe big-time, especially when it comes to head injuries...
                    Yeah, there's no logical reason for what they did other than dramatic effect. I didn't think it was too bad, though. Maybe they just need to get a real medical consultant instead of just looking it up in the PDR.

Comment

maybe they werent heart pills at all..maybe the writers just put them in to screw with people who cant handle the smallest miniscule mishap in details

Comment

Working...
                      X