PDA

View Full Version : Greer is now officially awesome

Mythophile
October 24th, 2009, 05:50 PM
Who else just joined the Greer fan club after tonight? Greer seems to have some deep waters I hope we'll see develop.

And he is officially anti-Telford. Telford who was supposed to go through the gate with Rush. I'm now betting Rush didn't sick the alliance on them, Telford did. It looks like Rush and Greer may end up being allies.

Col.Foley
October 24th, 2009, 05:54 PM
I certainly did:P

Radahldo
October 24th, 2009, 06:05 PM
From episode 1

major davis
October 24th, 2009, 06:37 PM
Wait I already made one months ago.

J-Whitt Remastered
October 24th, 2009, 06:41 PM
I'm now betting Rush didn't sick the alliance on them, Telford did.

Where did you come up with this? I didn't hear anything that suggest that.

stargator87
October 24th, 2009, 06:41 PM
yep...Greer is the best.

wargrafix
October 24th, 2009, 06:46 PM
Greer was really awesome and surprisingly profound in the intro.

Avenger
October 24th, 2009, 06:53 PM
Marines can fool you that way sometimes. There are certainly some deep and strangely philosophical Marines in the Corps. Rudy Reyes from Generation comes to mind.

wargrafix
October 24th, 2009, 07:09 PM
He may eventually get over his anger issues.

MattSilver 3k
October 24th, 2009, 07:16 PM
Greer is awesome. He was described as "Psycho" in the breakdowns, but he hasn't really come off as too bad thus far. He may be a bit of a hothead, but I'd be thinking Spencer is more psycho (He was taking some kind of pills...) than Greer. Or Greer is in a different category of psycho than Spencer. Either or, Greer is awesome.

Myles
October 24th, 2009, 07:22 PM
Greer is awesome. He was described as "Psycho" in the breakdowns, but he hasn't really come off as too bad thus far. He may be a bit of a hothead, but I'd be thinking Spencer is more psycho (He was taking some kind of pills...) than Greer. Or Greer is in a different category of psycho than Spencer. Either or, Greer is awesome.

Yea, Greer's definitely come off more as a hothead then a psycho - and I've loved it. I think he's my favorite character. Him and Rush are tops on the 'most interesting'.

Bobby
October 24th, 2009, 07:24 PM
yep greer is my favourite character so far. He is just so cool and no nonsense.
Young seemed to like him too.

Infinite-Possibilities
October 24th, 2009, 07:26 PM
This episode solidified my like of Greer I think. Not because he punched out Telford in the past of whatever, but mostly just the little things: he got to show some of his uh, "non-psychotic" side. I liked the relationship he has with Scott.

Cold Fuzz
October 24th, 2009, 07:26 PM
Who else just joined the Greer fan club after tonight? Greer seems to have some deep waters I hope we'll see develop.

And he is officially anti-Telford. Telford who was supposed to go through the gate with Rush. I'm now betting Rush didn't sick the alliance on them, Telford did. It looks like Rush and Greer may end up being allies.

I liked Greer from the very beginning and Light proved his quality of character. :D He really shined in all of his scenes this week.

Replicator Todd
October 24th, 2009, 07:27 PM
Greer is quite awesome, a much better version of Ford IMO.

UniverseSizePlotHole
October 24th, 2009, 07:28 PM
As long as Greer doesn't become Young's BLUNT (But ripped) WEAPON OF CHOICE we're cool!

Cold Fuzz
October 24th, 2009, 07:31 PM
Greer is quite awesome, a much better version of Ford IMO.

Copy that. I think Greer was what TPTB were probably trying to go for with Ford but their plans for him just didn't work.

wargrafix
October 24th, 2009, 07:32 PM
Ford was ok....but not great.

Infinite-Possibilities
October 24th, 2009, 07:35 PM
After rewatching parts of Season 1 of Atlantis, I think Ford was much better than he is often given credit for. They should have kept him around as a recurring character. But that's not what this thread is about. Personally I don't think the similarities are too deep, even if they are relatively clear. They are still very distinct characters. I don't really think of one as a perfected version of the other.

thedrumm3rguy
October 24th, 2009, 08:03 PM
yep greer is my favourite character so far. He is just so cool and no nonsense.
Young seemed to like him too.

ditto!

one of the few characters who seems well written and well acted :cool:

Ouroboros
October 24th, 2009, 08:24 PM
I hated him on a Ronon like level before this episode but now he's probably one of my favorites, occupying that tier after Rush but before everyone else where Young and Wray also reside.

Pharaoh Atem
October 24th, 2009, 08:25 PM
From episode 1

http://i374.photobucket.com/albums/oo184/paulm84/Moods/cylon002.gif

Gandom
October 24th, 2009, 09:02 PM
Been a fan of his since the first episode, but if I hadn't of been then last nights episode would have made me a fan.

Go, go, Gadget-Greer coldclock.

Wandering Youth
October 24th, 2009, 10:23 PM
I agree with the Ronon refrence! I totally felt the same way. He was awesome in this episode

Phenom
October 25th, 2009, 04:44 AM
Possibly an improvement on what TPTB were planning originally with the Ford character. However the difference is in the acting. Brilliant for Greer.....gives the tough loyal soldier a real depth which is great. The acting for Ford on the other hand.....

kirmit
October 25th, 2009, 04:48 AM
I'll admit I didn't like the description of the character, nor did I like him in any of the previews. However, soon as the show started to air (no pun intended) I found myself liking the character more and more. Greer is now my favourite character, maybe not the most interesting, that goes to rush but definately the most likaeable for me.

P-90_177
October 25th, 2009, 04:51 AM
Really liking Greer so far. Gotta say I have to agree with him on his idea that being plunged into a star is a pretty good way to die, and hell when you have a room with a window approaching said star you might as well just strip down and get comfy.....

EvilSpaceAlien
October 25th, 2009, 04:54 AM
Greer is such a kick-ass character. http://www.thescifiworld.net/img/smilies/galactica/cylon/cylon_newanime005.gif

He has been one of my favorites since episode one, but I didn't join the social group until today.

reddevil18
October 25th, 2009, 05:01 AM
Well, my opinion in regard to Greer is well-documented...

Major Tyler
October 25th, 2009, 05:08 AM
Copy that. I think Greer was what TPTB were probably trying to go for with Ford but their plans for him just didn't work.In my mind, Ford was more supposed to be an "everyman" character like Eli, but since "everyman" isn't a Marine, TPTB really didn't know how to make it work.

talyn2k1
October 25th, 2009, 05:09 AM
Right from the premiere, Greer and Rush were the 2 most interesting characters to me, and that is still the case.
Greer is fantastically acted and is really showing a deeper side to himself than I think anyone anticipated. Before the premiere, I thought he was just going to be the 'tough guy' who was basically set dressing unless there is something to shoot or beat up. I am glad I was wrong on that.

Greer is now joint top with Rush of characters I want to know more about, just ahead of Young and Scott.

I'm still not sure about Chloe, Camille, or TJ. Stargate has historically struggled with good female characters (Sam and Janet being the notable exceptions to this) so I will possibly be a little more skeptical of these characters until TPTB really give the actresses a chance to flesh out their characters.

Jeffer
October 25th, 2009, 06:14 AM
Greer was awesome I have been leaning towards liking him since he shot that dumb Scientist. him and Young are my favs now

I'm still not sure about Chloe, Camille, or TJ. Stargate has historically struggled with good female characters (Sam and Janet being the notable exceptions to this) so I will possibly be a little more skeptical of these characters until TPTB really give the actresses a chance to flesh out their characters.

what about Wier i thought she was an awesome female role

Trelak
October 25th, 2009, 06:58 AM
Greeg is going to be the cool baddass guys in SGU, like Tealc was in sg1 and Ronan in atlantis.

I'm extited about this charachter, and have high hopes :)

General Jeckle
October 25th, 2009, 07:09 AM
I wasn't automatic on Sgt.Greer in Air1-3, but parts of Air3 showed promise with him. I don't think he's behaving exactly the same in Darkness or Light, as in Air1 & 2. Him hitting what's his face, was in context & for good reason, unlike several of his reactions before.
I have grown to like his character, but I think it has so much more to do with loathing the trolley trick, & several other horrible characters. It is quite pleasant to not hear Sgt.Greer ask the dumbest possible question in the book during each situation, this has endeared him to me as well. I'm at a loss as to how that confused joke managed to reach Lieutenant. I'd call him Cpt.Question instead of Cpt.Marvel, & feel better with Sgt.Greer leading an away team over Lt.Scott easily.
Great episode for Greer, though, yes.

-I don't think Ford was written right, which falls on the writers, not Ford. They made him awesome, but then chucked him away a 2nd time, which was poor craftsmanship. He held a lot of potential in his new role. They adore reusing the same old faces for brand new characters, so maybe we'll see Francks again, but I doubt it.

Mythophile
October 25th, 2009, 07:47 AM
Right from the premiere, Greer and Rush were the 2 most interesting characters to me, and that is still the case.
Greer is fantastically acted and is really showing a deeper side to himself than I think anyone anticipated. Before the premiere, I thought he was just going to be the 'tough guy' who was basically set dressing unless there is something to shoot or beat up. I am glad I was wrong on that.

Greer is now joint top with Rush of characters I want to know more about, just ahead of Young and Scott.

See, I got distracted by Scott and co. and ended up not paying much attention to Greer. Also, his character description wasn't too promising, and I also felt he was going to end up window dressing. I'm really glad they've decided to make him more mature than a lot of the others and show he isn't just a hot head.

I really think the writers are setting up Rush and Greer to be on friendly terms with each other. As I look back on it, I think Greer shooting the scientist was the beginning of Rush feeling like he was being taken seriously by someone else. I think over time these two are going to appreciate each other's stability. Both are very centered characters.

Legend11
October 25th, 2009, 10:10 AM
Yes, I had him wrong like many other viewers. Facing his end with [butt naked] dignity, enforcing the orders of Young and NOT being the one selfishly fighting for his own life put him WAY up in my estimation. I also think the actor is splendid...never seen him before Universe. Love his gruff voice.

Legend11
October 25th, 2009, 10:16 AM
I really think the writers are setting up Rush and Greer to be on friendly terms with each other.

I very much hope so. I love that kind of character transition in my drama. I hate it when it happens in one episode, ala Ronan-Teal'c, so let us see it the way it is supposed to happen in real life. Relationships like that take time.

bradly08
October 25th, 2009, 12:05 PM
I was a fan before stargate itself :P

Confessor Rahl
October 25th, 2009, 12:39 PM
Greer is officially awesome? How so? What about this episode indicates his awesomeness? He is still the lame walking stereotype he was before, only now he thinks its epic to die in space. Wow.

Major Tyler
October 25th, 2009, 12:43 PM
Greer is officially awesome? How so? What about this episode indicates his awesomeness? He is still the lame walking stereotype he was before, only now he thinks its epic to die in space. Wow.What the crap are you talking about? :confused:

Confessor Rahl
October 25th, 2009, 12:48 PM
Which part? Him being a sterotype (angry, out of control macho soldier man with an underlying sense of duty) or him thinking it's cool to die in space (his video).

Can't stand his character and it only gets worse.

Major Tyler
October 25th, 2009, 12:57 PM
Which part? Him being a sterotype (angry, out of control macho soldier man with an underlying sense of duty) or him thinking it's cool to die in space (his video).He is far deeper than any stereotype, and I don't recall him ever saying it was "cool" to die in space. He just said that if he had to die, flying into a sun isn't so bad.

Can't stand his character and it only gets worse.I'm glad you're in the extreme minority.

MistressBratak
October 25th, 2009, 01:05 PM
I liked his little monologue about transitioning from this life to whatever is on the other side in a blaze of glory, by flying into a star. (I think his accent is adorable, too.)

Maybe he hadn't always thought it was "epic" to die in space, but if, to the best of your knowledge, that is what's going to happen no matter what, I think the way he framed his mind to accept it in such a glorified, poetic way was probably the healthiest adjustment somebody could make in the face of such an extremely catastrophic inescapable end.

I didn't necessarily "like" him from the beginning, and I didn't read anything about the show beforehand. However, I always thought there was more to him - like he had a darn good reason for having a chip on his shoulder, and he had been prematurely judged and ostracized by people who had not had the full story. As far as the court-martial or whatever, I thought that whatever it was, there had to have been some mitigating circumstances.

Then I found out he hit Telford and lol'd. That doesn't answer everything for me, but it was enough to make me lol. :)

Pepermint Jaffa
October 25th, 2009, 01:08 PM
Greer is now officially awesome

I almost started a thread just like this. Greer is becoming my favorite character. I like him more and more each episode.

Confessor Rahl
October 25th, 2009, 03:08 PM
He is far deeper than any stereotype, and I don't recall him ever saying it was "cool" to die in space. He just said that if he had to die, flying into a sun isn't so bad.

I'm glad you're in the extreme minority.

I know what he said, and I know that he did not literally say it was cool.

I do find it amusing that you feel the need to make blanket statements like the one above about me being in the extreme minority. That may be so, but it certainly does not make my opinion of his character any less valid than those who like him. I'm glad people like him. I, however, as of this moment see no reason to call him awesome, and in fact his character rubs me the wrong way in every episode.

Nothing wrong with that.

GuHNDoi
October 25th, 2009, 03:49 PM
As of this ep, I now like the Greer character the best! Right at that moment when he decked that guy who was getting out of line, the convo with Col. Young änd his "waiting to die" scene. I look forward to seeing this character develop more.

Avenger
October 25th, 2009, 04:00 PM
Greer is officially awesome? How so? What about this episode indicates his awesomeness? He is still the lame walking stereotype he was before, only now he thinks its epic to die in space. Wow.

Way to gloss it over to continue to justify your misguided opinion. He's a hardass, no doubt. However, in Air, he treks back into the desert to find Scott. In Light, he reveals that he is capable of some deeper thought in thinking about and even opening up about his death. After knocking Spencer out, he states, at it's clear that he means it based on the look on his face, that he doesn't want to it top anyone else. His conversation with Young where he shows that he has the utmost respect for Young. Additionally, we find out that he was locked up because he punched Telford, something Young thinks Telford deserved. There's a lot more to Greer if you're actually willing to look for it instead of perpetuating a hastily constructed and inaccurate opinion.

The character was designed to start of as someone no one would like at first only to show that there is more to him. That's what happens when you have a show that is taking extra focus on the characters.

Aurora24
October 25th, 2009, 04:16 PM
Greer was one of those characters that when I started watching the show I wasn't to sure about and even slightly disliked. However as the show's progressed I'm starting to like him alot more. I hope we find out more about him soon. Although he obviously has some anger issues, what I really like about him is the loyalty he has for his friends (i.e. going after Scott in the desert) and to the people who have earned his respect (such as Young).

Legend11
October 25th, 2009, 04:40 PM
Way to gloss it over to continue to justify your misguided opinion. He's a hardass, no doubt. However, in Air, he treks back into the desert to find Scott. In Light, he reveals that he is capable of some deeper thought in thinking about and even opening up about his death. After knocking Spencer out, he states, at it's clear that he means it based on the look on his face, that he doesn't want to it top anyone else. His conversation with Young where he shows that he has the utmost respect for Young. Additionally, we find out that he was locked up because he punched Telford, something Young thinks Telford deserved. There's a lot more to Greer if you're actually willing to look for it instead of perpetuating a hastily constructed and inaccurate opinion.

The character was designed to start of as someone no one would like at first only to show that there is more to him. That's what happens when you have a show that is taking extra focus on the characters.

Entirely agree. Especially about people's first instincts being hastily constructed and short sighted. In fact my own instincts of Greer were perhaps worse than anyone else's. I'm just glad I looked deeper. I guess it might be that some viewers find their first instincts hard to budge, a common human trait. However, to do that you would have to look past the major changes in what we've seen...i.e. risking his life to go off into the desert for his colleague, and the respect he's shown for his commanding officer. Hard ass? Yes. Deeper and more complex than your average hard ass? Definitely.

Confessor Rahl
October 25th, 2009, 05:20 PM
Way to gloss it over to continue to justify your misguided opinion.

Hah hah hah... seriously? Wow.

That's a pretty lame way to conduct yourself in a conversation. Seriously.

Avenger
October 25th, 2009, 05:28 PM
Hah hah hah... seriously? Wow.

That's a pretty lame way to conduct yourself in a conversation. Seriously.

Says the guy who is blatantly ignoring things about a character shown on screen that refute your position.

Saquist
October 25th, 2009, 06:07 PM
I'm not at the Greer Fan club. I usually join forces with thug characters.
Ford is very much a person I identify with but if Greer becomes something more than a bully....rather over comes his poor temperment and attitude then I won't mind him...but I doubt that I'll ever join the club.

Avenger
October 25th, 2009, 11:20 PM
He's already shown that he's more than a bully.

Whirlwind421
October 25th, 2009, 11:31 PM
I liked Greer from the first episode. I hope they continue to develop his character and they don't mess it up!!

Commander Zelix
October 25th, 2009, 11:51 PM
I like Greer. Its refreshing to have a though guy with a full mouth compared to Teal'c and Ronon.

Cold Fuzz
October 26th, 2009, 12:00 AM
I like Greer. Its refreshing to have a though guy with a full mouth compared to Teal'c and Ronon.

In my mind, Ford was more supposed to be an "everyman" character like Eli, but since "everyman" isn't a Marine, TPTB really didn't know how to make it work.

Yeah, TPTB dropped the ball on that one. With Greer though, he's definitely not the everyman and in a good way too. He says what's on his mind quite bluntly and tersely in much the same manner as Ronon or Teal'c. Yet at the same time he's thoughtful, waxing poetic when he mentioned that flying into a star--the most powerful thing in all creation--would be great. At the same time, he's very willing to use direct and heavy application of force. Though I do like Teal'c and Ronon, I think he's more well-rounded than both of them.

The way SGU is going, there will be more opportunity to see different facets of Greer's character. I think that with Atlantis and SG-1, Ronon and Teal'c were somewhat limited in that they were confined to the action man role a little too much.

MattSilver 3k
October 26th, 2009, 01:04 AM
The difference between Greer and our previous tough guys is one: He's from Earth.

Ronon, bless his wild caveman heart, was an alien tough guy who didn't play by the Atlantis rules because he didn't get the human rules. Teal'c was a nice enough fella who was driven to defeating the Goa'uld, and he adapted to the rules all well and good.

And here we have Greer: he's a crazy radical tough guy and all that, but the fact that he's from Earth kind of makes him different. It makes him not just playing by the rules because he doesn't know them (IE. Ronon), but because he does know them, and there's something in his character that makes him "almost in jail if not for the military." Something in his past probably makes him that way, different to Teal'c's and Ronon's pretty ****ty backgrounds (Though I have no doubt Greer had it tough in some way, I think I can assume he was never a lifelong servant or a Runner).

Greer's somewhat poetic nature comes from the civilised culture he grew up around despite his anger issues. Compared to Ronon, who kept the crazy warrior guy because he was chased by the Wraith for half a decade, and was a born and bred soldier.

I think that's why I like him, supposed psycho tendencies and all, because he's from Earth.

Major Tyler
October 26th, 2009, 01:09 AM
I think that's why I like him, supposed psycho tendencies and all, because he's from Earth.He might be a psycho, but he's our psycho. :P

Avenger
October 26th, 2009, 01:20 AM
And having a psycho on your side can prove to be very beneficial at times, to boot.

Encoder
October 26th, 2009, 06:05 AM
Greer looks like the man you want at your back, as long as he can control himself.

What he said to Rush, "I was afraid that I disappointed you sir" shows quite clearly his respect for Young. The fact that he stayed with Young during the lottery also re-inforces that fact!

Greer is definitely a good man to have on your team!

:sheppard:

hisg1fans
October 26th, 2009, 06:57 AM
Greer is one of the few characters I've liked so far. I like him more now. If he reminds of any other character, it would be Jack O'Neill. Both are "short on words", but when they do talk, they say something important. I could see O'Neill coldcocking somebody like Greer did, especially in the earlier days of SG1. O'Neill didn't suffer fools easily nor put up with much B**##@(t, neither does Greer seem to have much tolerance for it.

eliteaceman
October 26th, 2009, 07:06 AM
When Greer and Young are walking.... he says

Young: The look on TELFORDS face when you put him down was priceless, complete and total shock

Greer: He was surpised yes sir

Young: I guess you could say you got away with it

At 1st i thought they were talking about SPENCER.... The Guy Greer knocked out... but, there was no look on his face....

So.... This must be why Greer was in lock up... Anyone else catch that?

(or was there already a thread on this i didn't see anything)

renboy
October 26th, 2009, 07:11 AM
Not sure if there was a thread specifically about this - but it was mentioned in a few places before;

Anyway - yeah, Greer might not be as "bad" as he seemed to be during the first few episodes.
Maybe it was the writers plan all along - portray him as the 'explosive dangerous and unpredictable' guy, but later on open those issues for interpretation.

eliteaceman
October 26th, 2009, 07:12 AM
I guess i discovered water.... i'm a dumb dumb

Albeno
October 26th, 2009, 07:34 AM
Lol yeah I only caught this in the second viewing. His little altercation with Spencer was so fresh in my mind that I just presumed he was the subject of the conversation...I totally ignored the fact that Young said 'Telford'.

Heart of Light
October 26th, 2009, 07:36 AM
Untill now, character development in Stargate has always been about putting a character in a difficult situation and have him or her deal with it. I always thought it was a big loss on writing. For example, the Jack-Sam relationship could have been so much better. Characters always changed overnight. Take Shepperd for example. One day, he's saying all these profound things, the other day he's struggling with words as he's trying to tell Teyla he regards her as family. It's just always been kind of lame...

With the promise of a more character-based series, I was pretty afraid they'd totally screw it up. But they have really surprised me. And Greer is indeed one of those surprises. I don't "love" the character. Actually, if I'd run into him, I would probably really hate him. However, the way he's written and played is just awesome. I love the depth in him. Would be awesome to see those flashbacks of his childhood.

jrd231
October 26th, 2009, 09:29 AM
When Greer and Young are walking.... he says

Young: The look on TELFORDS face when you put him down was priceless, complete and total shock

Greer: He was surpised yes sir

Young: I guess you could say you got away with it

At 1st i thought they were talking about SPENCER.... The Guy Greer knocked out... but, there was no look on his face....

So.... This must be why Greer was in lock up... Anyone else catch that?

(or was there already a thread on this i didn't see anything)

You're not a dumb-dumb. I thought the EXACT same thing. I thought he misspoke and meant the guy he just knocked out. I backed it up and listened again and realized he was talking about the reason Greer was locked up originally.

jrd231
October 26th, 2009, 09:30 AM

I've thought he was the most interesting character since episode 1.

zac naloen
October 26th, 2009, 09:37 AM
I think everyone was so caught up on the "Psycho" description in the character breakdown that they were assuming the worst of this character.

I'm beginning to think that some of that psycho character has actually been transferred over to the Spencer character who displays far more of the character traits you'd expect from that breakdown than Greer does.

And yes greer is fast turning into a favourite for me, especially his meditation prior to death moment.

So is Greer a buddhist?

Mongoletsi
October 26th, 2009, 11:02 AM
You're not a dumb-dumb. I thought the EXACT same thing.
Dumb & Dumber? :D :D :D

AVFan
October 26th, 2009, 11:29 AM
http://pix.motivatedphotos.com/2008/6/28/633502095110658970-facepalm.jpg

:D

lol, jk.

leanbarton
October 26th, 2009, 12:36 PM
Oh crap, I missed that. I assumed they were talking about the guy Greer knocked out too.

Anyone notice Greer was ready to die all warrior style, naked on his bed.

Eclectic_Voyeur
October 26th, 2009, 01:28 PM
I just hope they don't get rid of him like Ford. I really like how his character is developing. :)

ha'tak_
October 26th, 2009, 01:29 PM
I missed it, demm now I will go and watch it again :D

Arlan
October 26th, 2009, 02:37 PM
Yep, missed it the first time around - just assumed they were talking about Spencer.

That scene as a whole was great though. The respect between the two is superb and makes for a great relationship on screen.

IcarusAbides
October 26th, 2009, 04:42 PM
I nearly missed it while watching too but my girlfriend mentioned it and i had to go back and check it out.

P-90_177
October 26th, 2009, 04:50 PM
I'm not trying to be mean here.......I mean people get distracted or have to leave the room a moment and miss a crucial bit.......But he clearly does say Telford......

IcarusAbides
October 26th, 2009, 04:57 PM
He does but he says it fairly quiet and for people multi-tasking it can be missed.

Starborne
October 26th, 2009, 05:28 PM
And since he just punched Spencer in the face, most of us assumed he was talking about that (me included). The line was definetly not spoken very clearly and created lots of confusion

Encoder
October 26th, 2009, 06:05 PM
Yeah, I believe this is why Greer was locked up in the first place, but I figured it was kinda obvious.

Young did start out tho, speaking about how he does not condone that kind of behaviour, so you might have been thrown off the trail there?

:sheppard:

Eternal Density
October 26th, 2009, 06:10 PM
I didn't quite catch what they were saying so I was slightly confused until I went back and listened more carefully.

Vapor
October 26th, 2009, 06:30 PM
I caught it immediately, and it's exactly the kind of "under the radar" storytelling that I wanted from the show. Little bits and pieces of story threads get sprinkled here and there, slowing putting it all together. Rather than just explaining everything in the first twelve seconds and having nothing to look forward to but "more wacky space adventures."

Not that there's anything wrong with wacky space adventures. But they're more interesting to me if it's not just perfectly wrapped up at the end with little else left to do.

We still have lots to learn about Greer, Telford, and what happened between them. :)

Jper
October 26th, 2009, 07:03 PM
Where did you come up with this? I didn't hear anything that suggest that.

GW Light Transcript:

LATER. Young and Greer are walking along a corridor.

YOUNG: ... and while I don't condone behaviour of that kind in any way, shape or form, I-I've gotta say ... the look on Telford's face when you put him down was priceless! Complete and total shock!

GREER: He was surprised, yes, sir!

(They both chuckle.)

YOUNG: I guess you can say you even got away with it.

(Greer stops, his face sad.)

GREER: Just, uh, sorry that I - that I disappointed you, sir.

YOUNG: You're a good man, Sergeant, I know that. Besides, the ******* had it coming.

(Greer stares back at him for a moment, then grins.)

GREER: Yes, sir, he did.

(They both laugh, then Young becomes serious again.)

YOUNG: So long.

(Instantly, Greer raises his hand and salutes the colonel.)

YOUNG (gently): At ease, Ronald.

(Greer holds the salute a moment longer, then lowers his arm and takes the hand which Young is offering him. They shake.)

Yeah? Where? Give me a link please.

Pharaoh Atem
October 26th, 2009, 07:06 PM

how so >?

Pharaoh Atem
October 26th, 2009, 07:07 PM
if you go on hulu and watch the ep to 24:45 it was the young greer convo

Jper
October 26th, 2009, 07:10 PM
how so >?

Was wondering that too. See ^

if you go on hulu and watch the ep to 24:45 it was the young greer convo

Yeah and I provided the GW transcript, see ^

Pharaoh Atem
October 26th, 2009, 07:11 PM
Was wondering that too. See ^

Yeah and I provided the GW transcript, see ^
i know but i just thought that would point out for those who can use hulu. i missed that line first time around

Jper
October 26th, 2009, 07:13 PM
i know but i just thought that would point out for those who can use hulu. i missed that line first time around

Really? I jumped up and down in my chair because they were finally explaining why Greer was in the brig and it was nothing bad. It was because he had put down Telford. I immediately completely liked Greer after that. :)

Pharaoh Atem
October 26th, 2009, 07:15 PM
Really? I jumped up and down in my chair because they were finally explaining why Greer was in the brig and it was nothing bad. It was because he had put down Telford. I immediately completely liked Greer after that. :)

i loved greer the moment he spoke in air pt 1. i wasn't paying a lot of attenton to the ep the first time around i had it playing in the background while on facebook :P

Jper
October 26th, 2009, 07:18 PM
Nah, not for me. Greer wasn't standing out for me until he put his gun towards Rush. I was kind of annoyed with him then. And he really seemed psycho at that moment.

the fifth man
October 26th, 2009, 08:26 PM
I have pretty much liked Greer from the very beginning. But he really did shine in "Light".

Count
October 26th, 2009, 08:27 PM
Greer has moved up in my books from complete and utter a**clown to somewhat of a minor annoyance. His refusing to share water with Rush just showed me how downright stupid Greer actually is (a true Jarhead). The only thing that brought him up in my eyes was the insane amount of loyalty he seems to have to his new mission and Young.

Schizobadger
October 26th, 2009, 08:38 PM
Yeah Greer rocks, not as much as Rush, but still.

They also seem to be the two most calm and confident of all the members. All these whiny and uncomfortable people get on my nerves sometimes.:hammond04:

Jper
October 27th, 2009, 08:50 AM
But he really did shine in "Light".

Well I do totally agree with that. :)

Jaden
October 27th, 2009, 09:03 AM
Greer rocks. I loved his character from the moment i first saw him in detention at Icarus base. I know a lot of peple disliked him. But i liked him even more after his "actions" in Light.

i dont know why he was in detention but i read somewere that he attacked Telford (he's my second favorite character, after Dr. Rush). now that is badass!

Jper
October 27th, 2009, 01:53 PM
Greer rocks. I loved his character from the moment i first saw him in detention at Icarus base. I know a lot of peple disliked him. But i liked him even more after his "actions" in Light.

i dont know why he was in detention but i read somewere that he attacked Telford (he's my second favorite character, after Dr. Rush). now that is badass!

It was a scene in "Light", this episode. See this post (http://forum.gateworld.net/showpost.php?p=10755573&postcount=83).

Automission
October 27th, 2009, 02:17 PM
Greer is by far one of the best characters. His no **** attitude is great when you've got people acting like idiots on board.

chucky907
October 27th, 2009, 03:36 PM
Greer is fanastic soldier but he is bit hardman.

Jper
October 27th, 2009, 05:16 PM
Greer is fanastic soldier but he is bit hardman.

He's a bit bonkers too.

Jaden
October 27th, 2009, 06:25 PM
It was a scene in "Light", this episode. See this post (http://forum.gateworld.net/showpost.php?p=10755573&postcount=83).

Oh thanks for that. Now i remember. When i watched it, I thought Young was talking about the guy he put down who got out of line in that episode. I hope we get to find out why he did that.

SoulReaver
October 27th, 2009, 06:44 PM
in the sense that he could make an interesting antihero (perhaps even villain) yeah I'd be inclined to agree
in the light ( ) of the last episode I'd lean more toward antihero. this could change again though

Legend11
October 27th, 2009, 09:04 PM
I'm not at the Greer Fan club. I usually join forces with thug characters.
Ford is very much a person I identify with but if Greer becomes something more than a bully....rather over comes his poor temperment and attitude then I won't mind him...but I doubt that I'll ever join the club.

They're very different characters, but Greer will be ten times the character of Ford. Even the writers soon knew Ford's character was a dead end...and even though he hung around a while doing his Wraith junkie act, the intentions were clearly to replace him with a much more interesting [better] character in Ronon.

There'll be no need for anything like that with Greer. He's already shown he's more complex than what we all had him down as. I envy the writers writing for a character like Greer. Writing for Ford would have made me fall asleep.

Captain Obvious
October 27th, 2009, 09:18 PM
this whole thing

Facing his death and the end of his life the way he came into the beginning of his life, naked.

Reminds me of the firebrand " Jesus Fire" marines I know. True Sun Tzu/samurai kinda stuff.

Jper
October 28th, 2009, 08:25 AM
Oh thanks for that. Now i remember. When i watched it, I thought Young was talking about the guy he put down who got out of line in that episode. I hope we get to find out why he did that.

You mean Greer hitting Spencer? We know why he did that.

Sgt Detritus
October 28th, 2009, 08:28 AM
Greer is by far one of the best characters. His no **** attitude is great when you've got people acting like idiots on board.

You say "acting like idiots", I say "acting like any normal person would in a similiar situation"

In a situation like that the vast majority of people would act like Spencer did and kick off

Jper
October 28th, 2009, 10:32 AM
I don't know, I don't think Spencer represents "normal people", the others yes, but not Spencer, the guy is a git. And he isn't particularly cared about by the group. I would definitely not act like Spencer did. However, most of the others were pretty normal in their actions. It is a normal representation of how a whole range, group, of people would act yes.

Anyway, Greer does have his charms on screen. :)

Sgt Detritus
October 28th, 2009, 12:08 PM
I don't know, I don't think Spencer represents "normal people", the others yes, but not Spencer, the guy is a git. And he isn't particularly cared about by the group. I would definitely not act like Spencer did. However, most of the others were pretty normal in their actions. It is a normal representation of how a whole range, group, of people would act yes.

Anyway, Greer does have his charms on screen. :)

It's definitely the way I would act and I'd probably voice my opinion that the lottery was rigged for 2 reasons

1. Young drew the names which lends itself to rigging theories

2. As far I can recall examined the names before or after the draw

It may be my typically British cynicism coming into play...;)

The Mighty 6 platoon
October 29th, 2009, 05:33 AM
It's definitely the way I would act and I'd probably voice my opinion that the lottery was rigged for 2 reasons

Then like Spencer you probably would have got socked in the jaw. As a Sergeant, Spencer should be supporting Young in whatever decision he makes, that’s his job. If it wasn’t for the fact they thought they were about to die Spencer would be up on very serious charges.

Legend11
October 29th, 2009, 01:41 PM
Then like Spencer you probably would have got socked in the jaw. As a Sergeant, Spencer should be supporting Young in whatever decision he makes, that’s his job. If it wasn’t for the fact they thought they were about to die Spencer would be up on very serious charges.

Perhaps even shot during a time of war? Certainly during the two world wars he would have been. That was nothing but cowardice.

The Mighty 6 platoon
October 29th, 2009, 04:31 PM
Perhaps even shot during a time of war? Certainly during the two world wars he would have been. That was nothing but cowardice.

Unlikely to be shot nowadays but if he’d tried that in Iraq or Afghanistan he’d have been hit over the head by a Sergeant Major, removed from the field, sent back home and court-martialled for inciting a munity.

Cory Holmes
October 29th, 2009, 04:39 PM
Unlikely to be shot nowadays but if he’d tried that in Iraq or Afghanistan he’d have been hit over the head by a Sergeant Major, removed from the field, sent back home and court-martialled for inciting a munity.

Well, he did get whacked by a Master Sergeant, removed from the field of discussion, and is being looked at for shipped home. Getting to the court-martial might be difficult, though :)

That scene is when I really began to see Greer through new eyes. The way he supported Young regardless of his own status is just sheer awesomeness on his part.

Legend11
October 29th, 2009, 07:49 PM

Do you know if fragging a rogue commanding officer actually happens these days....or have I been watching too much TV? Say the lads believe if they go into battle with 'such a commanding officer' in charge, they believe he'll get them killed...so the officer gets 'accidentally' killed by friendly fire in the heat of battle?

Avenger
October 29th, 2009, 07:58 PM
The Marines from 1st Recon didn't frag Captain America or Encino Man in Generation Kill and they were two of the most incompetent combat officers I've ever read about.

antcave
October 30th, 2009, 07:25 PM

3. i can see the pixels