This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Ingredients For A Good SF Film or TV Series

My argument has always been that SF needed to shed the trappings of the old and bring in the new, i.e. Firefly, BSG and SGU. But, somewhere in the translation I found myself wondering to myself, I am an SF writer but I don't really know SF enough to really try to retcon the whole thing so I thought up this thread. Basically, you tell us what little details make you interested in watching SF movie x and SF TV series y...
    :
    "There must be some way out of here..."

I personally prefer hard science fiction and more adventure/exploration based science fiction. I'm currently missing this type of science fiction on tv. Currently the focus of science fiction shows seems to be on drama, rather then the science and exploration. Even the Stragate franchise has decided to focus more on drama with SGU.

There are also currently no science fiction shows on tv that take place in the future to my knowledge). I think this is a shame. Part of what made Star Trek so interesting is that it painted a picture of what we might be like in a few centuries. I think science fiction is an excellent genre for pointing out how science and technology change our culture.

Good science fiction speaks to our hopes and fears of the future. It is a reflection of humanities curiosity and sense of adventure, of our need to understand and explore the universe.
    sigpic

Comment

I think my opinion on the matter can be best summed up as the blending of the two opposite statements made by destinymaker and then Betelgeuze. That is to say, a somewhat dark, character-focused plot imbued with high levels of adventure and social commentary would be ideal.

I haven't found it yet, but the closest I've found are some of the best episodes of SG-1. When the characters have a witty repertoire with one-another and develop naturally but dramatically, whilst exploring the unknown and learning a thing or two along the way... that's my happy place.
      If you've seen a Jeff O'Connor or a JeffZero or a Jeff Zero or a JeffZeroConnor elsewhere on the net, there's a considerable chance it's me.

Comment

I'm going to go ahead and bump this once despite not being the topic creator, because I'm interested in what others have to see on this subject.
        If you've seen a Jeff O'Connor or a JeffZero or a Jeff Zero or a JeffZeroConnor elsewhere on the net, there's a considerable chance it's me.

Comment

I have to say that i love the dark drama aspect of shows like BSG and i like how it differs from more traditional science fiction however i believe that there is a place for both and i do not want all shows to become carbon copies of galactica by becoming so drama driven.

I still want shows like the SG-1, Atlantis and Star Trek (all series esp TOS). I understand that producers and networks want sci fi shows to appeal to a non traditional audience but they have to be careful that they do not alienate their traditional fanbase in the process.

Also a very important ingredient in any Sci Fi show should be Nathan Fillion, cos he's all awesome and stuff.
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Betelgeuze View Post
            There are also currently no science fiction shows on tv that take place in the future to my knowledge). I think this is a shame. Part of what made Star Trek so interesting is that it painted a picture of what we might be like in a few centuries. I think science fiction is an excellent genre for pointing out how science and technology change our culture.

Good science fiction speaks to our hopes and fears of the future. It is a reflection of humanities curiosity and sense of adventure, of our need to understand and explore the universe.
            Is Trek great? Yes. But as a coherent vision of the future of humanity, it was terribly done. Until DS9, the inhabitants of Earth were god-mode sues with a vaguely defined economic system.
            Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering-Yoda
            The more bizzare a thing, the less mysterious it proves to be-Sherlock Holmes
            I reject your reality and substitute my own-Adam Savage
            A person is smart. People are stupid, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it-Agent Kay
            That is the exploration that awaits you�not mapping stars and studying nebulae, but charting the unknown possibilities of existence-Q
            Church: I learned a very valuable lesson in my travels, Tucker. No matter how bad things might seem...
            Caboose: They could be worse?
            Church: Nope, no matter how bad they seem, they can't be any better, and they can't be any worse, because that's the way things f***ing are, and you better get used to it Nancy. Quit-yer-b****ing.

If you smoke, you choke. If you choke, you're dead. 'Nuff said.

Comment

Originally posted by Exiled Master View Post
              Is Trek great? Yes. But as a coherent vision of the future of humanity, it was terribly done. Until DS9, the inhabitants of Earth were god-mode sues with a vaguely defined economic system.
              Who proved that it is possible to Kirk your way across the galaxy.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by IcarusAbides View Post
                Who proved that it is possible to Kirk your way across the galaxy.
                True, but that was ancillary. After all, it wasn't like Barclay needed to put his boots on for anything.
                Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering-Yoda
                The more bizzare a thing, the less mysterious it proves to be-Sherlock Holmes
                I reject your reality and substitute my own-Adam Savage
                A person is smart. People are stupid, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it-Agent Kay
                That is the exploration that awaits you�not mapping stars and studying nebulae, but charting the unknown possibilities of existence-Q
                Church: I learned a very valuable lesson in my travels, Tucker. No matter how bad things might seem...
                Caboose: They could be worse?
                Church: Nope, no matter how bad they seem, they can't be any better, and they can't be any worse, because that's the way things f***ing are, and you better get used to it Nancy. Quit-yer-b****ing.

If you smoke, you choke. If you choke, you're dead. 'Nuff said.

Comment

Originally posted by Exiled Master
                  I agree with you. DS9 was a great addition to the franchise. TOS and TNG focussed on the exploration and technology. DS9 added depth to the Trek universe by focussing more on the politics and interactions with other species and showing that it is impossible to create an utopia.

I also loved Firefly and Serenity. Of all science fiction show Firefly showed the most interesting vision of the future. It also did an excellent combining adventure and character development.
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Exiled Master View Post
                    I like every Star Trek that came along, except Enterprise (should have gone into the future with the franchise, not the past). However, I like understand what you meant about "But as a coherent vision of the future of humanity, it was terribly done". Personally I think the future Earth of the Star Trek verse would be a place I like to live...no war, no disease (cancer or HIV), no need for money, our natural resources replenished. Thats a world I would love to live in, instead of this debt ridden, war ravaged, strip mining, over populated hunk of rock we live on now.

Comment

• Relatively Hard Sci-Fi
                      • Characters and Themes the Audience can relate to.
                      • Time doesn't matter. Past/Present/Future/All of then, whatever!
                      • Location doesn't matter. But their should be a human element. Whether it be in Space, on Earth (our Earth, or a alternate/futuristic Earth) etc
                      • Rich background history. Whether it be based on Earth's, or something similar like BSG

Sci-Fi's pretty broad, you can't specifically narrow it down to a basic formula. It's encompasses so much.

Comment

Working...
                      X