PDA

View Full Version : These are the wrong people

DetriusXii
October 24th, 2009, 12:50 PM
Is this statement going to be yelled out in every episode?

When they search for food supplies, will Young yell out that "These are the wrong people for the job?"

When they search for water supplies, will Young yell out that "These are the wrong people for the job?"

When they fix the the Destiny's toilet systems, will Young yell out that "These are the wrong people for the job?"

How many more times will the writers reinforce that the Destiny's crew are the wrong people for the job?

The Mighty 6 platoon
October 24th, 2009, 12:58 PM

When they search for food supplies, will Young yell out that "These are the wrong people for the job?"

When they search for water supplies, will Young yell out that "These are the wrong people for the job?"

When they fix the the Destiny's toilet systems, will Young yell out that "These are the wrong people for the job?"

How many more times will the writers reinforce that the Destiny's crew are the wrong people for the job?

Its a major theme of the series and their only 5 episodes in. Presumbly later on they will fit more comfatably into their roles on the ship after they have some experince.

KEK
October 24th, 2009, 01:04 PM
I sort of agree, it is getting a bit annoying, but then the writers probably hadn't anticipated how many times this would have been drilled into our heads in various trailers, sneak peaks and other features etc.

IcarusAbides
October 24th, 2009, 01:26 PM
I think it will be repeated along with the line about Rush being a lot of walk. These things don't bother me however. I think it's a good series and i'm enjoying it a lot.

Commander Zelix
October 24th, 2009, 01:31 PM
Its ok. Them being the wrong people at the wrong place. Is the basic premise of the series that makes it different than other spaceship TV series. I don't have a problem with them repeating it to the (new) audience. We're so used to have the best crew ever on spaceship.

dahok
October 24th, 2009, 01:33 PM

Hopefully not again. That scene with Wray/Young made me want to smack him upside the head.

The civilians are pretty much the intellectual elite, with the exception of the inexperienced Chloe. It's possible getting accepted into and getting through Harvard was using her father's influence. But still... Harvard and useless? Young also has geologists, engineers, astrophysicists, Math Boy, and other technical trained personnel.

On top of that he has military muscle, and 2IC Lt. Quagmire who'll seduce any alien females that may be a threat. The enlisted and officers would not even be on Icarus unless they were thoroughly trained, not to mention security clearances and medical screenings can give them more time to prepare.

I was hoping for Jack to tell Young to stop whining an episode or two ago.

Commander Zelix
October 24th, 2009, 01:41 PM
Hopefully not again. That scene with Wray/Young made me want to smack him upside the head.

The civilians are pretty much the intellectual elite, with the exception of the inexperienced Chloe. It's possible getting accepted into and getting through Harvard was using her father's influence. But still... Harvard and useless? Young also has geologists, engineers, astrophysicists, Math Boy, and other technical trained personnel.

On top of that he has military muscle, and 2IC Lt. Quagmire who'll seduce any alien females that may be a threat. The enlisted and officers would not even be on Icarus unless they were thoroughly trained, not to mention security clearances and medical screenings can give them more time to prepare.

Oh yah. :)

Maybe the Icarus appointment was like the equivalent of an Alaska (Siberia) appointment on earth. They only send the most troublesome people up there as some form of administrative punishment. So we're stuck on the Destiny with the most incompetent geologists, undisciplined soldiers we can possibly have on the Stargate program.

Replicator Todd
October 24th, 2009, 01:46 PM
I don't mind it, apparently some members of the crew dont fully grasp the situation(darn IOA). It is a good motto for the show. But if I hear it in every episode i'm going to go crazy!

eliteaceman
October 24th, 2009, 02:18 PM
If these are the wrong people, who were the right people?

Other than Telford and The Dr Who died.... it thought everyone who was going.. made it there?

Rush said they would close the worm hole, analyze the data, then send a team...

Now the dr thats there and young weren't suppose to be there... but there still the right people as they have experiance....

PacoJr67
October 24th, 2009, 02:28 PM
not everyone on the base was supposed to go through the gate. Sure, a lot of people who were supposed to go did, but a lot of them were still supposed to be on Icarus Base

JeffKnight
October 24th, 2009, 02:48 PM
We know they are the "wrong" people to be out there. That much was certain. Were there better and more able people to be out here? Absolutely. SG1, Sheppard's team... heck even Dr. Lee is more qualified than some of those quack pots they have out there. But are they the worst people possible? No, not by far. You can bet that almost every single one of them was probably hand-picked to be on Icarus. They most certainly had the knowledge and ability to be chosen by the COs to go on that mission. That gives me the hope that, with the proper leadership, they will be able to adapt to their situation and make the most out of it.

So far, leadership has either been Rush or Young. Neither is a good leader alone. Rush is unpopular, yet rational. Young, so far, has ignored a very large problem in his "crew." Before long, under either Rush or Young, we'll have a mutiny. They need to let the past be the past and start getting along better. It will be very difficult for people to disagree with both of them when they are on the same page.

Also, as kind of the next man on the totem pole, Scott needs to stop screwing around (literally). We're expected to believe that this guy got to be a 1st Lt. in the Air Force and a junior SGC member and not to have grown up a little more? Yes he has emotional issues, but so far, I've only seen him act like a freaking 16 year old with raging hormones. So far, Eli has been more mature than Scott.

Dakota Bob
October 24th, 2009, 02:52 PM
"Hey guys I lost my pen, can you help me find it?"

*After 10 minutes of searching*

"THESE ARE THE WRONG PEOPLE FOR THE JOB"

Avenger
October 24th, 2009, 02:53 PM

Well, since a lot of people can't seem to remember important things from previous episodes, particularly in regards to people posting so called "plot holes" and "criticisms" about the show, I think it's good to repeat things. It might help reduce the number of silly threads.

UniverseSizePlotHole
October 24th, 2009, 03:06 PM
Young said when Scott had problems with Eli going at the end of Air 2
"Just like alot of people on this ship I'm going to need to know wjat they are made of"
"we're going to need evryone on board to step up."

Then he is all '"wrong people" lines come out. Its a cheap cop-out for him at the moment.

P-90_177
October 24th, 2009, 03:12 PM
Young said when Scott had problems with Eli going at the end of Air 2
"Just like alot of people on this ship I'm going to need to know wjat they are made of"
"we're going to need evryone on board to step up."

Then he is all '"wrong people" lines come out. Its a cheap cop-out for him at the moment.

The guy was probably a bit frustrated that he was about to die........he can be forgiven for having a change of tone.

The Mighty 6 platoon
October 24th, 2009, 03:16 PM
If these are the wrong people, who were the right people?

Other than Telford and The Dr Who died.... it thought everyone who was going.. made it there?

Rush said they would close the worm hole, analyze the data, then send a team...

Now the dr thats there and young weren't suppose to be there... but there still the right people as they have experiance....

Presumably said team that was to be sent to the Destiny was in large part the troops that were defending against the attack in Air, being the best troops. If you listen to the dialogue they even state that because they were outside the base they were beamed off the planet.

Thunderbird 2
October 24th, 2009, 03:31 PM
The guy was probably a bit frustrated that he was about to die........he can be forgiven for having a change of tone.

I agree. - Young is the character that worries me at present, he's not a Jack O'Neill or John Sheppard. He has serious doubts about his own abilties to make decisions, and is struggling to keep that in.

His coversation with General O'Neill in Air 3, and his rebuff of Camille Wray in this episode undeline that. - He has been using the support of Scott and TJ a little too much and has a dangerous defeatest streak.

Makes compelling viewing though!

Trance
October 24th, 2009, 03:33 PM

I guess you can always turn it into a drinking game. One shot for "this is your fault". Two shots for "These are the wrong people", and Three shots for "ELI!!" Or maybe that should be reversed

This is the theme for the series, you just have to wait to they feel like they belong.

Count
October 24th, 2009, 05:40 PM
"These are the wrong people" are Young's verison of breaking down and crying about the Galactica, err, Destiny.

Seriously, Adama had his womanly-wailing, Young has his endless repetition

Ukko
October 24th, 2009, 05:48 PM
"These are the wrong people" are Young's verison of breaking down and crying about the Galactica, err, Destiny.

Seriously, Adama had his womanly-wailing, Young has his endless repetition

And you have your original completely fresh has not yet been done to death BSG comparrisons:rolleyes:

Its just one line they've used a few times, its not the end of the world.

prion
October 24th, 2009, 06:09 PM
I guess you can always turn it into a drinking game. One shot for "this is your fault". Two shots for "These are the wrong people", and Three shots for "ELI!!" Or maybe that should be reversed

This is the theme for the series, you just have to wait to they feel like they belong.

Yes, my god, you're right. They say "these are the wrong people!" enough that it should be in a drinking game. Frankly, I'm hoping he gives up on that line as it's now pretty repetitive. Of course, it didn't help they used it constantly in the ads.

MattSilver 3k
October 24th, 2009, 06:36 PM
I don't have a problem with the line, really. Maybe by episode 20 it'll get a little repetitive, but it's fine now. We know they're not really the right people... and I can't help but wonder if this line will only show up in Brad Wright/Robert C. Cooper scripts. Maybe if we're lucky, Carl Binder's Water next week will abolish it! Maybe...

SBN
October 24th, 2009, 06:40 PM
I sort of agree, it is getting a bit annoying, but then the writers probably hadn't anticipated how many times this would have been drilled into our heads in various trailers, sneak peaks and other features etc.

I am going to have to ask my brother about this, as he has seen absolutely nothing of trailers, previews, etc.. if he thinks it is overused based solely on just the episodes he has seen. I for one am tired of it, but then again for a long time all we had was that one trailer that had this as the opening line.

I do think for example in this episode he could have stated this in a different way that would have gotten the point across. But to keep saying almost verbatim tires. Why not say "Camile, nobody here was selected for the survival experience" or "We simply do not have people qualified for what we are sending them out to do".

Stormtrooper
October 24th, 2009, 08:03 PM
Young comes across as a loser every time he pulls the "these are the wrong people" crap. And he says that to the most inappropriate persons: O'Neill (his boss), Wray (the evil IOA woman who can't wait to overthrow him). So, apparently, he's not only a loser, but kind of dumb too.

Suck it up and make it so!

Commander Zelix
October 24th, 2009, 08:09 PM
Young comes across as a loser every time he pulls the "these are the wrong people" crap. And he says that to the most inappropriate persons: O'Neill (his boss), Wray (the evil IOA woman who can't wait to overthrow him). So, apparently, he's not only a loser, but kind of dumb too.

The only problem. Is that they don't look to be such bad people. As they are many scientists, geologists, astrophysist, soldiers etc. Its not like a bus full of tourists was sent to the Destiny. As of yet, only Chloe seem to be at the wrong place. As her qualification doesn't have direct use on the Destiny (except maybe for some administrative duty).

Pharaoh Atem
October 24th, 2009, 08:28 PM
i am getting sick of hearing that line. liek jack said "fix it "

TheHomegaMan
October 24th, 2009, 08:33 PM

Man, you take super hero caricatures out of Stargate and this is the response?

This is not SG-1. This is not SGA. They need more than a one liner and the deus ex machina of the week to save the day. Apparently characters who know their limitations and the limitations of those under them are losers. Out here in the real world, that's viewed as a positive leadership trait. Go figure.

Deevil
October 24th, 2009, 08:38 PM
Ehh, I have to admit it's a bit like getting hit over the head with an anvil every time it is mentioned.

TheHomegaMan
October 24th, 2009, 09:10 PM
It seems to fit the situation, though. Wray was asking Young to pick the people best suited for survival on a completely unknown world. We as viewers see it as annoying, but can you argue with Young's logic?

Nchewbacca
October 24th, 2009, 09:14 PM
Go dance with the angels!

Cold Fuzz
October 24th, 2009, 09:22 PM
Man, you take super hero caricatures out of Stargate and this is the response?

This is not SG-1. This is not SGA. They need more than a one liner and the deus ex machina of the week to save the day. Apparently characters who know their limitations and the limitations of those under them are losers. Out here in the real world, that's viewed as a positive leadership trait. Go figure.

I have to agree. I think Young's leadership style much more realistic than those we have seen in the past. Don't get me wrong, I will always like Sheppard and O'Neill but you're correct in that they did get caricatured. They could do virtually anything and the same could be the said of McKay and to a lesser extent, Carter as well.

With Young, his leadership style is reminiscent of two law enforcement officers I've encountered. They're both more thoughtful, controlled, focused, and yes, realistic. I think Young is the type of leader who is well aware of people's strengths and won't play to people's (or his own) weaknesses.

Replicator Todd
October 24th, 2009, 09:32 PM
But these are the wrong people, in the wrong place.

Deevil
October 24th, 2009, 09:43 PM
It seems to fit the situation, though. Wray was asking Young to pick the people best suited for survival on a completely unknown world. We as viewers see it as annoying, but can you argue with Young's logic?

Nope, I can't argue with the logic at all.

Pharaoh Atem
October 24th, 2009, 09:44 PM

yes alot of the people in the destiny are sgc trained personal

TheHomegaMan
October 24th, 2009, 09:59 PM

Then by some miraculous twist, the entire scientific and civilian staff all decided to skip the day at SGC orientation entitled "Harsh Planets, Abandoned Ancient Spacecraft, and You: Survival 101". ;)

Deevil
October 24th, 2009, 10:03 PM

To quote a friend when he returned from Iraq, "Training didn't prepare me for the reality."

Theory is far from practice...

Lord Kira
October 24th, 2009, 10:45 PM
1. Young hires some plumbers to fix his toilet.

2. The toilet overflows.

3. "THESE ARE THE WRONG PEOPLE!"

SBN
October 24th, 2009, 11:16 PM
1. Young hires some plumbers to fix his toilet.

2. The toilet overflows.

3. "THESE ARE THE WRONG PEOPLE!"

Lol :)

boxvic
October 24th, 2009, 11:19 PM
Speaking realistically (as realistically as sci-fi can be I guess) though, they have several very intelligent people aboard the ship, but they "are the wrong people". I can see that if they are boarded by hostile aliens and there aren't enough soldiers to fight, but so far that hasn't been the case at all. Rush complains that it would be too hard to teach others, but would it really be? It seems to me that "they are the wrong people" simply because the person who could teach the really smart people what they need to know refuses to.

I'm currently in school for an associates degree in Engineering Technology, and at one point when I was at a university I was history minor and studying other cultures. I can pick out words from languages that I don't speak because I learned them either from studying or just because I have seen them over time. I'm also a nerd who spends a lot of time on a computer and spent time training for my CCNA at the end of high school. I don't really think I'm all that more intelligent than most other people.

That said, with my incredibly basic knowledge of electronics and electrical theory, my ability to recognize words in languages I don't speak, and my basic understanding of computer systems I am 100% certain that I could be taught to do a simple task aboard an Ancient spaceship within a day or so. So why is it so impossible to teach these geniuses, other than Eli (who I like as a character, but has had less experience with the ancient language than all of the other "scientist" on the Destiny) to look through the database for specific things? Or to spend 15 minutes showing them how a system is supposed to work so that they have an understanding of how to repair it.

I like the show, not as much as SG1 or SGA, or even BSG, but the one thing that keeps burning me is that Rush is supposed to be the only person who knows whats going on, even though Eli just happens to know more than all the other scientists even with less experience... all the while I'm thinking that even a normal guy like myself could be taught to do something useful within the time Rush spends saying its impossible to teach others.

Eternal Density
October 25th, 2009, 02:02 AM
1. Young starts a message board where people can write and pin constructive discussion items.
2. Many people use it to complain instead.
3. THESE PEOPLE ARE NOT SUPPOSED TO BE HERE!
What did he expect? Most people don't suffer in silence for long.

kirmit
October 25th, 2009, 02:05 AM
To me that line is saying alot about young. He's so focused on these people being the wrong ones that it's clouding his judgement, instead he just needs to get on with it, find everyones skills and put them to use.

IcarusAbides
October 25th, 2009, 06:13 AM
To me that line is saying alot about young. He's so focused on these people being the wrong ones that it's clouding his judgement, instead he just needs to get on with it, find everyones skills and put them to use.
Unfortunately certain people such as Wray seem determined to still be HR managers and not try to adapt to the situation.

Legend11
October 25th, 2009, 10:06 AM
Unfortunately certain people such as Wray seem determined to still be HR managers and not try to adapt to the situation.

I hope we slowly see a change on that score and I'm hopeful we will. We're used to seeing people working around the Stargate program pulling together. Universe being a [warning: buzzword is imminent] 'grittier' show doesn't have to see that end. The transition in the characters could be very rewarding viewing. I've already been wrong about Greer....I thought he'd be the one threatening violence to get off Destiny, but he stood by Young, enforced his orders and faced imminent death with dignity (well...naked dignity...LOL)

So they might not be the wrong people at all, just people presently in the wrong frame of mind. People in increasingly hopeless situations can go either way...I just hope they pull through together. I doubt all of them will, however, and that it will become a wheat from the chaff scenario. Ultimately, many should end up the right people...as this journey will make or break them.

General Jeckle
October 25th, 2009, 11:52 AM
The civilians are pretty much the intellectual elite
Ouch! Hardly even close considering the abundant infantile questions dashed out each week. Rewatch & pay attention to the horror that is their intellect. There is nothing remotely elite about their lack of understanding even the most basic aspects of any situation yet observed. This is not opinion, study the transcript or rewatch & listen.

This is hilarious, & presents me with an opportunity to no longer be bitter or curse the tv while watching. I don't bring that drinking angle to everything I watch especially never to SG. How many shots for scenes involving the usage of one's body as barter, in light of posessing nothing of value including said body?
This may just become bearable yet.

{mod snip}

Why not say "Camile, nobody here was selected for the survival experience" or "We simply do not have people qualified for what we are sending them out to do".
Fantastic comment. Unfortunately, this would require effort from the writers, so we're stuck with reusing the slogan. Consider it their verbal equivalent to borrowing plots & actors to avoid original ideas. After all, how much effort did it really take you to figure that out, & you are not even getting paid. I totally agree with you.

Rush complains that it would be too hard to teach others, but would it really be? It seems to me that "they are the wrong people" simply because the person who could teach the really smart people what they need to know refuses to... all the while I'm thinking that even a normal guy like myself could be taught to do something useful within the time Rush spends saying its impossible to teach others.
I agree with your comments, but I believe Dr.Rush was speaking more about the timeframe involved. It would take too long to teach someone basic skills rather than do it himself. Dr.Rush can't just hand them guns to make up for their inability to perform. At this point, if power & time are no longer an issue, he should draw up some basic stuff & have Eli teach others. Dr.Rush is obviously not 'into' teaching, at least those present. I think he'd teach his own kids just fine, though while explaining some facts patiently to the crew, I think he's already had it with them.

I don't really think I'm all that more intelligent than most other people
Oh I dunno, you actually managed to convey yourself quite coherently without misspelling a single word. A redolent feat shed from the extinct art of proof reading. These days that bolsters you well above the Bos taurus, if for no greater cause than still caring.

To quote a friend when he returned from Iraq, "Training didn't prepare me for the reality."
Theory is far from practice...
While this is well put, I am deeply disturbed that someone, much less an officer in the SGC, serving on another planet attempting to unlock an ancient alien stargate address, etc; can't tell the difference between a star & a galaxy on a detailed visual map. Let's not even begin to cite the plethora of other inept questions asked by those trained in such matters. I can buy the cook saying,"wtf", but not the rest of the apparent scientists, experts, or personnel. Most of them seem shocked about even the basic aspects of outer space. I'd of thought an SGC pilot would've seen Apollo 13, at least once.
The dialogue feels like it's written for children, the 'mature content' is aimed at their parents, while the soundtrack serves as Sesame Street flash cards for the emotionally addled.
I'll say again, the entire premise of SGU is vast enough to explore w/o the need for campy plot crutches, dumbed down dialogue, or hump happy hooks.
We really don't even need the 'wrong people' in any way, to make it interesting or compelling. Those that disagree most likely know very little about the universe.

Confessor Rahl
October 25th, 2009, 12:41 PM
This statement is almost as bad as "We're not supposed to be here!" and "I'm not even supposed to be here!"

Seriously, five for five, it is literally making me physically ill.

TheHomegaMan
October 25th, 2009, 01:59 PM
This statement is almost as bad as "We're not supposed to be here!" and "I'm not even supposed to be here!"

Seriously, five for five, it is literally making me physically ill.

Candidate for MattSilver3k's awards.

Young and Wray got the ball rolling on this. Recall that during the morning briefing in the mess hall at the start of Darkness Young requested that Wray compile files on the crew and pass them on to him. Young also mentioned in Air 3 that people need to step up. He's not just sitting there whining and complaining (he's on the Destiny, not Gateworld after all), but putting the pieces into place. Perhaps when he finds the time to do so instead of contemplating suffocating or burning in a star, it'll get finished.

prion
October 25th, 2009, 02:43 PM
The only problem. Is that they don't look to be such bad people. As they are many scientists, geologists, astrophysist, soldiers etc. Its not like a bus full of tourists was sent to the Destiny. As of yet, only Chloe seem to be at the wrong place. As her qualification doesn't have direct use on the Destiny (except maybe for some administrative duty).

we've barely seen what the other people can do but yes, most are military and/or scientific personnel. you do have camille, who is administrative. there's not a lot of paper to push around... however, once they start dragging in all the dark politics, I'm sure she'll be useful. Chloe, well, sorry to say, doesn't have any really practical skills to offer.

sinderg
October 25th, 2009, 02:43 PM
I really hate it.
Its kind of a insult to the audience. We know their in trouble, we dont need to be told.

morrismike
October 25th, 2009, 03:13 PM
ok folks ......
Do they have an agonomist or at the very least a master gardener for growing food?

Do they have a single person on board that can conceive, build, and put into service a wire or draw mill to make electical conductors? any colonization effort should include the entire contents of this book store http://www.lindsaybks.com/

Do the ever have a library of technical information so that one of the engineers on board can train and develop competent tinkers?

Do they have skilled hunters/outdoorsmen to forage and collect food?

Do they have field engineers to actually take charge of problems and drive them to completion or are the engineers desk jockeys?

Do they have any trademens or tinkers for that matter?

I know you all love rush but if you hand your broken hair dryer to him he lacks the knowledge to make a new one or to even fix the broken one. They do not even have anything you or I have in our garage for christ sake. YES THEY HAVE THE WRONG PEOPLE - WHY WOULD ANYONE THINK OTHERWISE?

thedrumm3rguy
October 25th, 2009, 04:03 PM
"Hey guys I lost my pen, can you help me find it?"

*After 10 minutes of searching*

"THESE ARE THE WRONG PEOPLE FOR THE JOB"

:sheppardanime23:

the phrase is going to have great parody potential if they keep chucking it in every episode

makes out a cast of adults to be whiney moping teenagers...

GateroomGuard
October 25th, 2009, 04:18 PM
I have a feeling that eventually Young will ask someone to do something in a life or death situation only for them to tell him that "I'm the wrong person for this job!"

Young is going to have to have to get over that attitude before it infects the rest of the crew. The only way they are the 'wrong people' is if they choose to keep acting like it.

TheHomegaMan
October 25th, 2009, 08:03 PM
I have a feeling that eventually Young will ask someone to do something in a life or death situation only for them to tell him that "I'm the wrong person for this job!"

Young is going to have to have to get over that attitude before it infects the rest of the crew. The only way they are the 'wrong people' is if they choose to keep acting like it.

"Wrong people" is shorter to say than "These people lack the skill sets conducive to long term survival on an alien vessel dating back millions of years".

Besides, the crew already knows. Becker's assignment was recipes, for crying out loud.

GateroomGuard
October 25th, 2009, 08:11 PM
"Wrong people" is shorter to say than "These people lack the skill sets conducive to long term survival on an alien vessel dating back millions of years".

Besides, the crew already knows. Becker's assignment was recipes, for crying out loud.

I've yet to see one person who lacks any skill necessary to survive. The only thing stopping them is their own emotions. If Young keeps telling them they 'dont have the skills to survive' eventually they'll believe it.

The Destiny runs itself, if these people can walk they can pretty much survive.

creed462
October 25th, 2009, 08:24 PM
I see his point, right now they are the wrong people, What is needed is to find there strengths and build their weaknesses.

jsonitsac
October 25th, 2009, 08:49 PM
I imagine that had everything gone as planned they would have sent a MALP through to Destiny then proceeded like any other SG team mission. So would Colonel Telford's team have been any better equipped to handle the situation? After all his team would have dialed into Destiny and faced the same air and power problems that these people have been facing.

Commander Zelix
October 26th, 2009, 12:25 AM
I imagine that had everything gone as planned they would have sent a MALP through to Destiny then proceeded like any other SG team mission. So would Colonel Telford's team have been any better equipped to handle the situation? After all his team would have dialed into Destiny and faced the same air and power problems that these people have been facing.

In Air 3 they certainly did a good job. They figured out the Scrubber problem. Deduce the need for Lime. And correctly searched and found Lime with some scientific testing which I don't even know the specific. Then did a good job at removing, cleaning the scrubbers and making the whole Lime thing works. Now they are even piloting ancient ship as if it was nothing. Even managing the calculation and the piloting for an incredible sling shot maneuver. As an extra, they set up a recharger unit compatible with Ancient technology for all earth based device (ipod, etc). That in only 3 days. I put into motion that they are indeed: "the best people for the job"!!!

MattSilver 3k
October 26th, 2009, 12:58 AM
In Air 3 they certainly did a good job. They figured out the Scrubber problem. Deduce the need for Lime. And correctly searched and found Lime with some scientific testing which I don't even know the specific. Then did a good job at removing, cleaning the scrubbers and making the whole Lime thing works. Now they are even piloting ancient ship as if it was nothing. Even managing the calculation and the piloting for an incredible sling shot maneuver. As an extra, they set up a recharger unit compatible with Ancient technology for all earth based device (ipod, etc). That in only 3 days. I put into motion that they are indeed: "the best people for the job"!!!

Until their personal dramas get in the way, maybe?

I would think Telford's team would've pretty much done a play-by-play of Atlantis or something. They'd have the best best, and have them override the ship and lead it to the right planet with the lime (A different one to our desert planet or something) and manage to wake up a new enemy along the way. They'd also fix the power right away somehow. And the episode would end with Telford toasting with a new alien chick about finding the lost ship of Destiny, and the token doctor guy saying, "Why can't I have friends like that?"

Been there, done that.

Bring on the wrong people!

Captain Obvious
October 26th, 2009, 01:06 AM

They aren't the "best" people, but they do have a ton of good people. To (loosely) quote the general "We've been stepping through that thing for years... none of us are really qualified for it.".

There are some things that they will figure out. The ancient shuttle can't be very different from our ships once you know where the buttons are. Its like learning how to drive a manual transmission with the steering column on the opposite side. Heck, a CO2 scrubber is not that hard to make with soda lime and water, I would bet anyone who took highschool chemistry (at least when I was taking it or earlier) could have done the tests for the lime as long as they had the kit.

Riley can read ancient at least a little, so that explains how they found the recharging plate.

Coincidentally, does anyone else pray that they show up at a planet and Eli's cell phone rings because some aliens are using the same frequency as his cell phone for communications? That would be great. Eli answering his phone on instinct and causing an intergalactic incident.

UniverseSizePlotHole
October 26th, 2009, 02:04 AM
Riley can read ancient at least a little, so that explains how they found the recharging plate.

Possibly - he would have been better off saying to Col Young "I translated this - in Ancient its called an 'energizer' and this is what it does, we've tweaked it to Earth tec too" instead of "Colonel look what WE figured out, we're calling it a recharging plate"

spinny magee
October 26th, 2009, 02:09 AM
Admittably it is annoying that phrase...realistic but overused.

Commander Zelix
October 26th, 2009, 02:50 AM
They aren't the "best" people, but they do have a ton of good people. To (loosely) quote the general "We've been stepping through that thing for years... none of us are really qualified for it.".

There are some things that they will figure out. The ancient shuttle can't be very different from our ships once you know where the buttons are. Its like learning how to drive a manual transmission with the steering column on the opposite side. Heck, a CO2 scrubber is not that hard to make with soda lime and water, I would bet anyone who took highschool chemistry (at least when I was taking it or earlier) could have done the tests for the lime as long as they had the kit.

Coincidentally, does anyone else pray that they show up at a planet and Eli's cell phone rings because some aliens are using the same frequency as his cell phone for communications? That would be great. Eli answering his phone on instinct and causing an intergalactic incident.

I guess I shouldn't have slept through my high school chemistry class!!

thedrumm3rguy
October 26th, 2009, 03:00 AM
love it how jack was basically saying "suck it up and deal with it!"

retiredat44
October 26th, 2009, 03:22 AM
Oh yah. :)

...incompetent geologists......

why do you call them incompetent?

Commander Zelix
October 26th, 2009, 03:36 AM
why do you call them incompetent?
Read my whole post. That was my first attempt at justifying the wrong people at the wrong place shenanigans. At least I tried... before I came to the evidence that they are actually some of the best people for the job!!

Eternal Density
October 26th, 2009, 04:23 AM
I like that this last time Camile pulled him up on it with "That's up to you." While not exactly what she meant at the time, Young should be focusing on getting the best out of the people he has. I hope he starts to see it that way now.

Encoder
October 26th, 2009, 05:45 AM
They certainly are the wrong people, but, since Young only has a very short "brief" on these people, he is unable to determine their best use of talents and therefore know who to assign to what and what systems he has resources to throw at.

Young feels like he is trying to fight a fire with a petrol soaked rag!

:sheppard:

Cold Fuzz
October 26th, 2009, 05:32 PM
They certainly are the wrong people, but, since Young only has a very short "brief" on these people, he is unable to determine their best use of talents and therefore know who to assign to what and what systems he has resources to throw at.

I think as people start reaching a certain level of acceptance about their situation, like they're not getting home anytime soon, they're going to start stepping up--what Young wanted from them in the first place. As they all start to get their bearings and get used to working with each other, they'll probably find that as a group, they're probably stronger than they believe themselves to be (especially the secondary characters).

Helmar
October 27th, 2009, 09:40 AM
Actually these people really aren't even a good bunch of settlers. No one has practical experience in farming or building a stable house. They don't represent a good demographic group for a long time survival on the planet. They are all to technological to survive a prolonged period of time, let alone building up a permanent residence. An exploration team is not equipped with the skills needed for a successful settlement.

But it won't matter 15 people would be to few either way thinking permanent. Considering they could just live out their remaining life a lottery is as good as everything else. Surely he could have said another sentence, but the content is true.

jrd231
October 28th, 2009, 08:05 AM

I thought the same thing.

prion
October 28th, 2009, 12:16 PM

Maybe he should just interview and assign everybody tasks instead of whining "these are the wrong, people." Sorry, Colonel, but you can't take them back to Returns for a refund. you're stuck with 'em.

jsonitsac
October 28th, 2009, 02:05 PM
Had the Lucan Alliance attack not happened I wonder how many of the people currently aboard Destiny would have even been there? We don't know the size of Telford's team, but let's just say, for the sake of argument, that was the size of an average SG Team, even if he had somebody like Carter with him I doubt Telford would have had enough personnel to man the ship. In which case his team would be just as wrong as the Icarus Base survivors.

maddmike
October 28th, 2009, 02:50 PM
With the high quality of the script so far i can't see it being repeated much more.

One this i can see coming in the future and i think i saw in a advert, is people from earth with various other skills aka doctor/ techies and stuff coming onto the ship via the stones. So these "wrong people" will not be there the whole time :P

leanbarton
October 28th, 2009, 06:42 PM
I think it will be repeated along with the line about Rush being a lot of walk. These things don't bother me however. I think it's a good series and i'm enjoying it a lot.

I thought Young was saying "a lot of work." Plus it's Young's personal saying that he uses. It's part of his character.

Crashbarrier
October 29th, 2009, 05:52 AM

What is generally niggling me about it IS that they keep reinforcing this idea.. This is not an expedition this is a group of survivors. you don't have "wrong people" in a group of survivors. You get what you are given and like it. When your hip deep in alligators you don't whinge about the temperature of the water, you find out who can do what and start utilising those skills as best you can, preferably cross training everyone else as an when you can.

Plus not everyone does everything that is written on paper, I mean yes their job may be an theoretical quantum physics scientist, or IOA HR executive, or cook, or marine but they may also have such hobbies as cooking, gardening, carpentry or mechanics... Skills which might come in useful in present and possible up and coming situations. Not everyone in this world is the grand sum of their chosen employment...

Mythophile
October 29th, 2009, 11:35 AM
Young is engaging in self-sabotage. He is creating his own future failure, and if he keeps it up, eventually no one will listen to him, even if he's right.

Commander Zelix
October 29th, 2009, 06:28 PM
Young is engaging in self-sabotage. He is creating his own future failure, and if he keeps it up, eventually no one will listen to him, even if he's right.
Maybe next time Wray will bring a tape or hidden video recorder to sabotage Young leadership and have Young rant about the people on the ship. Then show it to everybody at the mess hall.

Wray visiting Young at his desk:"I think you should do more with what we have here. You're not doing a fine job directing those people"

Young:"What!?!?! WHAT?!!!. *I* am not doing my job. I'm stuck here with a bunch of incompetent *******s. Scientists dont know nothing and couldn't divide a way to make chocolate milk even if I gave them a bottle Milk and some Quick chocolate powder. All soldiers are undisciplined and couldn't guard an empty room. Their only formation they must have been watching GI JOE during the Saturday cartoons. Civilians are nothing but a strain on our resources. Can't wait to put them into some blender to make us extra meat. Needed I remind you that those are the wrong people at the wrong place. I could muster more out of a bus of high school kids than out of those bunch of idiots!!!"

gateboy
October 29th, 2009, 07:25 PM
Well this may be one of the problems that this crew is having, cause if the leader doesn't have faith in the people then who will?
Maybe this is also more or less meant for us as a hint, that really it is his attitude that needs a kick in the pants.

AVFan
October 29th, 2009, 11:21 PM
We should keep a running tally of the times this is used. We're probably up near 8 at this point if I were to guess. Anyone want to do it?

spinny magee
October 29th, 2009, 11:54 PM
By the end of season 1 we will be up to our necks in this phrase...honestly for crying out loud they are the right people!!

senatorincitatus
October 30th, 2009, 09:27 AM
We should keep a running tally of the times this is used. We're probably up near 8 at this point if I were to guess. Anyone want to do it?

Twice. Once in Air Part Three, to Jack, in private, and once in Light, to Camille, in private. Unless you want to count all the times it's been said in ads, and then I think the number is closer to forty-two thousand.

I find it rather telling that both times it's been said, it's been said privately. Yeah, he's got his doubts about these people, but he's not airing them to the crew at large. On the whole, he's keeping his doubts to himself. Actually speaking to the crew, he's been very to-the-point, very direct, and, when the situation allows for it, even optimistic ("Let's have a better day than yesterday"). So he strikes me as a guy who really doesn't believe in these people yet - and why would he? They're all untried under these circumstances and many, if not most, are civilians - but is making a point of not broadcasting that to everyone.

I have no problem with him starting out doubtful of the people under his command. I actually think that's an awesome and unique character beat for a commanding officer on a scifi show, and completely believable under the circumstances. And how can we have character growth, after all, if there's no growing that needs to be done?

M2W
October 31st, 2009, 01:53 PM
By the end of season 1 we will be up to our necks in this phrase...honestly for crying out loud they are the right people!!

Hmm... where have I heard that before? On SG1 perhaps? Indeed.

Oh wait... I've heard that somewhere before too. Interesting.

In fact, I've heard them both about a bajillion times. Very, very interesting.

:jack_new_anime04:

But anyway, I find sometimes that when I retell a story or express myself about the same topic to different people at different times I find myself repeating phrases. Could this not be the same thing? Two different people, two different times, but the same sentiment. We just happened to be audience to it, while we're not audience to it in real life every time someone is telling a story they've already told us to someone else.

DoThKi
November 1st, 2009, 02:33 PM
I don't buy the line. Yes there are undoubtedly civilians and some Icarus base personnel who were never meant to become expedition members. But they are all still Stargate personnel. They had to be cleared for sensitive information. They had to be the best of the best and even more exclusive when selected for the Icarus project. What's even more baffling to me is the behaviour of the military personnel who have next to no discipline at all. Young at the moment is paranoid (unless he proves that Rush is a subversive) and has no control, Scott is not bad considering he is wet behind the ears, Greer is 'the wrong stuff' and I can't imagine why he was let within a million miles of the Stargate program, TJ is the only one maintaining a sense of professionalism and the rest of the military personnel are demonstrably involved in subversive activities. The group act as though they are survivors of an long haul plane crash on an island - sound familiar? Unfortunately that completely ignores the exclusivity of Stargate civilian and military personnel.