PDA

View Full Version : Music in "Light"

eliteaceman
October 24th, 2009, 12:46 AM
Anyone else like the background music while they were trying to catch the shuttle up?

Adrenaholic
October 24th, 2009, 01:28 AM
YES!!!! i jumped straight to itunes to find the album, only to discover that the darned thing doesn't exist!

I loved how they used the electric guitar, its almost under the radar. I hope that becomes a trademark with this series just as the music for the previous series' has.

-Adren

The Mighty 6 platoon
October 24th, 2009, 04:00 AM
I thought the music was awesome, really gave an epic feel to the whole thing.

TheReturnOfTheLantian
October 24th, 2009, 04:09 AM
I think SGU should sell tracks from the series which they create

awsome music so far

TonyB1972
October 24th, 2009, 04:36 AM
I dislike the touchy/feely music that comes on during a touching moment. I think the moment and scene do the work, the music seems to distract and take away imo.

KEK
October 24th, 2009, 07:15 AM
I dislike the touchy/feely music that comes on during a touching moment. I think the moment and scene do the work, the music seems to distract and take away imo.

Agreed. Joel Goldsmith is brilliant when it comes to action or suspense, but when it comes to the emotional scenes he's far too heavy handed in my opinion, he's goes overboard and it comes off too melodramatic and a bit camp. Hopefully he'll improve as he gets more used to a show of this type.

Bebbe777
October 24th, 2009, 07:30 AM
I liked the string instrument that was present quite alot in this episode. More of that please!

Adrian_Jackson
October 24th, 2009, 07:50 AM

You mean the cliche guitar song that plays whenever Chloe and Scott are together? YES! I HATE THAT TOO! It's so cheeseball. I love every other part of SGU's music though, it's fantastic.

stldad
October 24th, 2009, 07:56 AM
The music overall; so far; has been awsome in every episode. A step up in linkage between background and visual from both SG1 and SGA. Downloaded every Alex Murdoch track I could find after watching Air3.

missmobius
October 24th, 2009, 08:19 AM
You mean the cliche guitar song that plays whenever Chloe and Scott are together? YES! I HATE THAT TOO! It's so cheeseball. I love every other part of SGU's music though, it's fantastic.

I just don't get any chemistry between Scott and Chloe, NONE! I fast forward through those sappy scenes, but I'm sure the music is just as annoying as their fake relationship.

dropstitch
October 24th, 2009, 09:19 AM
The music so far has been great. There's been a really cool mix of styles rather than the usual orchestral stuff.

Callie
October 24th, 2009, 09:25 AM
I spent large parts of this episode in tears, mostly because of the amazing music. From the moment the lights came on in Young’s quarters, I was weeping uncontrollably for the next several minutes and, while checking the transcript against the soundtrack, had to keep stopping to blink my eyes clear so that I could read!

The only time I found the music annoying was, when Young was recording his Kino message, he said, “Hi, Emily,” and sad piano music promptly started. That was a bit too much, I thought.

Less
October 24th, 2009, 10:06 AM

Guitar? I can't get past the annoying slowly alternating piano chords. Melodrama!!!

They used it in the Chloe/Mom, Young/Wife, ManHo/CryingGirl scenes. Totally reminds me of a soap opera.

So far those "emotional character drama scenes" are like when you change the channel to some soap opera that you don't watch. There are some folks you don't know or care about and clearly something IMPORTANT is happening, but you just don't care. It's like that.

lahebo
October 24th, 2009, 11:36 AM
What is the name of the song that is played in the background when they decide to redock the shuttle?

Orion Antreas
October 24th, 2009, 02:24 PM

See, that's where I have to disagree with you. While I wasn't moved or cared for the scene that much, I thought the music was beautiful. I haven't heard one score from Joel that was done for SGU that turned me off, leaving me upset.

Everything that guy has done has been awesome. Light was just ANOTHER step up with his work. Everything in 'Light' was great. I loved hearing the guitar, acoustic and electric. ;)

prelator
October 24th, 2009, 03:30 PM
I thought the music in this episode was absolutely phenomenal. I absolutely loved that six-note them that kept playing throughout the whole lottery and shuttle launch sequence, staring as piano and then turning to full orchestra at the climax of the scene when the shuttle flew away. It actually reminded me of the background notes to a hip-hop song I heard once that was really haunting. I wish I could remember who that was by... Anyone know what I'm talking about?

I also thought it was brilliant how they mixed that theme with the Destiny theme when Eli showed them the Kino view of the exterior of the ship. And the music playing during the slingshot maneuver and the shuttle landing was cool too.

renboy
October 24th, 2009, 06:42 PM
The entire episode was filled with amazing music pretty much end to end;
The lottery, the shuttle taking off, the goodbyes on the ship, the ship going back to life in the star, the shuttle maneuvers and landing... just perfect.

Tearjerking, suspense, relief, happiness - it really had a lot of success transferring those emotions across (of course, the crew did quite a phenomenal job as well ;))

General Jeckle
October 25th, 2009, 08:39 AM
-I dislike the touchy/feely music that comes on during a touching moment. I think the moment and scene do the work, the music seems to distract and take away imo.
-Agreed. Joel Goldsmith is brilliant when it comes to action or suspense, but when it comes to the emotional scenes he's far too heavy handed in my opinion, he's goes overboard and it comes off too melodramatic and a bit camp. Hopefully he'll improve as he gets more used to a show of this type.
-You mean the cliche guitar song that plays whenever Chloe and Scott are together? YES! I HATE THAT TOO! It's so cheeseball
-Guitar? I can't get past the annoying slowly alternating piano chords. Melodrama!!!They used it in the Chloe/Mom, Young/Wife, ManHo/CryingGirl scenes. Totally reminds me of a soap opera.
-So far those "emotional character drama scenes" are like when you change the channel to some soap opera that you don't watch. There are some folks you don't know or care about and clearly something IMPORTANT is happening, but you just don't care. It's like that.
I can't believe how many people are in astonished love for this hack-fest of a soundtrack! I could not agree more with the comments I quoted! At least not everybody watching needs a cue card for emotional direction, I just don't get it. A few of the scenes weren't that bad...until Joel ruined them. I am at a loss how TPTB have given the thumbs-up for his sound work, unless this is exactly what they're aiming for. He totally ruined the end of Air3 for me, I can't even watch those scenes when I replay it, & here two episodes later, Joel's still screwing up the show! I am confused by show's end, how Celine Dion hasn't yet made the cut, she's around every corner.
The only exception was when the power came back on, but 30sec-60sec of good music in a 42min episode doesn't make him 'wonderful,' 'fantastic,' or 'great,' much less a 'genius.' All words I've read tossed upon him in these forums. I really wonder what some of you guys would do if ever you find real music worthy of slobbering over. You'd turn into those teenage girls crying & screaming their heads off to the Beatles. It's like you're trying to make Danielle Steel into Mark Twain, since you've never read a real piece of literature before! Gimmie a break already-for real!!

I tried not to quote any silliness so as not to offend, so I had to cut the ridiculous quotes I put here regarding the sensational comedy of Goldsmith.
It is so untrue.
Opinions are opinions, but I'm puzzled over whether any of the people praising Joel's SGU work even listen to classical music, or anything other than Blink182, Backstreet Boyz, or GreenDay! I prefer Death/Black Metal over classical music, but I know quality when I hear it, & most of us could score SGU at this point, well maybe not all of us. Some seem like they're hearing a guitar for the first time, based on their posts. I love all kinds of music, I'm not some genre snob, & I do listen to soundtrack albums, while many folks mock soundtrack albums! I just do not get what planet ya'll are coming from with this gushing adolation over such silliness. I'll agree his action scenes work, yet how many of those are there? The rest render those action scenes suspect, b/c you can hear the tendrils within them which lead to the ruined pieces. If this is the SGU style they need to play no music during scenes that require empathy. I feel herded along like a little goat whenever it's time to weep.
You guys want a musical genius go grab Mike Patton, Bjork, or Meshuggah to do what Joel seems unable to accomplish. You'll cry from A-Z after what Joel's done to your taste buds.
p.s. For all those bashing Stargate Atlantis' music -pssst- it's the same guy!!

Orion Antreas
October 25th, 2009, 09:12 AM
That's an interesting post considering there are a few people who post here who are musical artists and know good music when they hear it. Like you said, it's your opinion, and you seem to be the minority here that could think the music was "hack-fest". And all of those bands you mentioned, I don't listen to. I listen to a variety of genres ranging from classical to rock and so on. I don't listen to much beyond the '90s, so at least in my case, your statement that the only music we listen to is the bands you listed. It lacks applying to myself and I bet to others.

And since you mentioned you prefer Death/Black Metal over classical music (and I assume other genres as well), no wonder why you didn't like the music. This music isn't supposed to be like your preferred genre.

So, I am gonna flip your first sentence around. I can't believe that no one would be in astonished love for this musically inspired soundtrack/work.

YoshiKart64
October 25th, 2009, 01:26 PM
It was brilliant, loved it.

hedwig
October 25th, 2009, 01:30 PM
Anyone else like the background music while they were trying to catch the shuttle up?

Generally speaking, I'm really liking all the music thus far.:)

PG15
October 25th, 2009, 02:08 PM
RANT RANT RANT

Your utter inability to accept other people's opinions amuses me.

squirrely1
October 25th, 2009, 04:46 PM
I especially loved all the music in Light. It grabbed my attention....and music usually doesn't do that....maybe it wasn't supposed to do that ....but I thought it was awesome anyway!! :P

GateroomGuard
October 25th, 2009, 04:54 PM
I like the music, it gives off an nice epic, dark, and frantic vibe. I just hope we get more upbeat music soon. But if not I can definitely live with this.

Eternal Density
October 25th, 2009, 05:05 PM
It will be a happy day when I get the email that says Joel Goldsmith has a new album I can pre-order. Not that it'll happen any time soon.

General Jeckle
October 25th, 2009, 05:25 PM
Originally Posted by PG15
Your utter inability to accept other people's opinions amuses me.

That's quite hilarious coming from you of all people.
I don't know how you can even manage to say such a thing to me while keeping a straight face. :beckettanime04:

PG15
October 25th, 2009, 07:01 PM
Yeah, see, I don't go on a tirade about how a large group of fans are beneath me and/or ridiculous because they happen to like something I don't.

Well, I haven't done it in a while, anyway. :D

Besides, what I've done doesn't excuse what you did.

the fifth man
October 25th, 2009, 07:52 PM
I thought the music in this episode was really good.

Duneknight
October 26th, 2009, 02:39 AM
that was probably the best music ever!! really engaging! was it just me? im surprised to find no one talking about.

OutandAboot
October 26th, 2009, 03:18 AM
http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=70513

mrshorty
October 26th, 2009, 03:37 AM
Despite still having doubts about the show, it is safe to say the soundtrack of SG:U is definitely top notch. Everything is epic when you have big budget :P.

I found Light's music very captivating - so did the last 10 minutes of air (pt2)

Otarush
October 26th, 2009, 10:43 AM
Awesome music in this episode. As in, 'this is going next to my copies of the BSG soundtrack if they release a CD of this music' awesome.

Iguana775
October 26th, 2009, 12:34 PM

I thought it was pretty cool.

Jeff O'Connor
October 26th, 2009, 12:41 PM
There was some amazing music in this episode. So far, 90% of the soundtrack for the show has been truly stellar. But I have to agree that the sappier stuff has never been Joel's department and often comes off heavyhanded. Unfortunately, that hasn't changed.

Arlan
October 26th, 2009, 02:16 PM
Loved the music in Light, and the series as a whole so far. Looking forward to a soundtrack.

General Jeckle
October 26th, 2009, 03:55 PM
Originally posted by PG15
Yeah, see, I don't go on a tirade about how a large group of fans are beneath me and/or ridiculous because they happen to like something I don't.
Well, I haven't done it in a while, anyway.
Besides, what I've done doesn't excuse what you did
Boy, you sure do guzzle down your own kool aid! I'm not sure what you think you've seen while finger painting your Quantum Mirror replica, but your insinuations aren't worth a picayune. I'm entitled to my intransigence, just as the others are entitled to their monomania. I have done nothing save for dispell the myth of Goldsmith's genius or tenure as musical god. Those glorifying him as such need not read my posts if they are so crushed by my lucidity.

Orion Antreas
October 26th, 2009, 05:08 PM
Boy, you sure do guzzle down your own kool aid! I'm not sure what you think you've seen while finger painting your Quantum Mirror replica, but your insinuations aren't worth a picayune. I'm entitled to my intransigence, just as the others are entitled to their monomania. I have done nothing save for dispell the myth of Goldsmith's genius or tenure as musical god. Those glorifying him as such need not read my posts if they are so crushed by my lucidity.

The fact is that your opinion is one among many and you (nor anyone else) has the right to state that people's opinions on Joel as being wrong. You have a right to say you don't like the music, but to state things like you did of the viewers isn't your place, nor is it mine and anyone else.

Again, it isn't your taste, but from what is seen as far as on these forums, you are in the minority (those who disliked it).

ufgator1977
October 26th, 2009, 06:17 PM
For those of you who haven't seen it, there's a great interview with Joel here:http://www.gateworld.net/interviews/universal_themes.shtml

I'm going to quote one part in particular since it answers a question that was asked

GW: Is it just an eventual plan for an SGU CD release? Or is this going to be like "Children of the Gods" was released and "Rising" was released on CD? Like relatively soon, within the next six months or so?

JG: I think that I would like to do it quickly. Again, it'll be dependent on MGM's cooperation but I believe they will be. We had really good success with the Continuum and Ark of Truth releases that we did.

Joel tends to use the piano a lot in those intimate, emotional moments and he seems to be continuing it here. I think the music has done a wonderful job of representing the mood of the show. I'm really enjoying it.

General Jeckle
October 26th, 2009, 06:43 PM
Originally Posted by Orion Antreas
The fact is that your opinion is one among many and you (nor anyone else) has the right to state that people's opinions on Joel as being wrong.
When people are calling Joel Goldsmith a GENIUS & a musical GOD, I very much have the right to attack such a ludicrous claim. No one needs to abuse words in such an obscene manner, nor do false realities need to be constructed to inflate their own perception. As I said, don't read my posts if I bother you so much, what I said isn't mere opinion. I could care less about the present majority or minority, such a stance is for kindergarten!
In a society where Michael Jackson is the poster child of mockery for 10+yrs into his grave, only to be deified upon the moment of his death; the opinion of your majority sways with the wind, & lacks any sense of substance. Many of you have said far more instigative comments on these boards than I've yet muttered.
I don't know who either of you really think you're kidding with your pacifistic tone. I didn't call anyone out in particular, but rather anyone in general deifying Joel. If people want their posts & opinions respected & cherished to such an emphatic degree, they can first bother to exhibit the self respect inherent in proof reading & spell checking their words before submitting. If so many of you care so little about what you have to say, that taking two-five minutes to proof read is an outrageous expectation; get out of my face regarding whether I respect your opinion. The work starts on your own end, not mine. There's plenty of people whose opinion states pop tarts & frosted flakes are a great breakfast. This doesn't make their opinion worth respecting, or the least bit accurate just b/c they endorse it.
Quit posturing as though I blasted anyone by name or specifically, unlike so many around here love to do. I stated my opinion get over it, it's in the proper thread.
You want to elevate Joel above being really good, seek out a thesaurus don't molest words like genius or god!! Those words are reserved for those who earn it.

Eternal Density
October 26th, 2009, 06:45 PM
Whatever. I enjoy the music. Don't burst a blood vessel.

Pianomancuber
October 26th, 2009, 08:11 PM
I loved the strings when the power was coming back! C C+ |C C+ |A A+ |A A+

It's so cool how he changes to A using a C augmented. It's because a C+ is also an E+ (enharmonically) which is the V(alt) of A. Awesome leading! Really captures the awe of the moment. The theme is also really cool. It basically lydian and uses a iv, borrowed from minor. So sweet!

Anyway, enough of my music nerding....... hopefully someone appreciated my brief analysis :)

Cold Fuzz
October 26th, 2009, 08:15 PM
I loved the strings when the power was coming back! C C+ |C C+ |A A+ |A A+

It's so cool how he changes to A using a C augmented. It's because a C+ is also an E+ (enharmonically) which is the V(alt) of A. Awesome leading! Really captures the awe of the moment. The theme is also really cool. It basically lydian and uses a iv, borrowed from minor. So sweet!

Anyway, enough of my music nerding....... hopefully someone appreciated my brief analysis :)

Totally appreciating the chordal analysis. :D I was a classically trained musician for many years. I even went to a conservatory and earned a performance degree. ;)

PG15
October 26th, 2009, 08:40 PM
When people are calling Joel Goldsmith a GENIUS & a musical GOD, I very much have the right to attack such a ludicrous claim.

Not really.

Pianomancuber
October 26th, 2009, 09:11 PM
Totally appreciating the chordal analysis. :D I was a classically trained musician for many years. I even went to a conservatory and earned a performance degree. ;)

Awesome! What was your degree in? I'm currently pursuing an undergraduate degree in Clarinet performance, but I REALLY enjoy theory and want to do some composing.

Cold Fuzz
October 26th, 2009, 10:28 PM
Awesome! What was your degree in? I'm currently pursuing an undergraduate degree in Clarinet performance, but I REALLY enjoy theory and want to do some composing.

I actually got a degree in Piano Performance a long time ago. Interestingly enough, I performed with clarinetists regularly during those days. The clarinet repertoire, especially the Romantic Era, was very similar to the piano pieces I ended up performing in my junior and senior recitals. There are two that come vividly in mind: Schumann's Fantasiestücke for clarinet and piano, and the Brahms' F minor clarinet sonata.

But that was a long time ago now. I'm actually in the law enforcement field now, believe it or not, but that's a very long story. So where are you studying?

Angela V
October 26th, 2009, 10:46 PM
This was actually my first SGU show and I thought the music helped the story move along and made the show more enjoyable for me. IMHO

Pianomancuber
October 27th, 2009, 09:07 AM
So where are you studying?

I'm a freshmen at Concordia College, in Moorhead Minnesota. Fantastic music department! This year for guest performers we've got the King's Singers, David Gillingham, and the Oslo Chamber choir. I've also met Frank Ticheli through the school. Next year the our Concert Band is touring Japan.
I also love to play the piano, and auditioned for a scholarship on both piano and clarinet. I got it on Clarinet though, so I'm not a piano major but I'm still taking lessons. Next year I hope to either take lessons specific to the Romantic era (namely Liszt) or Jazz piano lessons.

Orion Antreas
October 27th, 2009, 08:22 PM
When people are calling Joel Goldsmith a GENIUS & a musical GOD, I very much have the right to attack such a ludicrous claim. No one needs to abuse words in such an obscene manner, nor do false realities need to be constructed to inflate their own perception. As I said, don't read my posts if I bother you so much, what I said isn't mere opinion. I could care less about the present majority or minority, such a stance is for kindergarten!
In a society where Michael Jackson is the poster child of mockery for 10+yrs into his grave, only to be deified upon the moment of his death; the opinion of your majority sways with the wind, & lacks any sense of substance. Many of you have said far more instigative comments on these boards than I've yet muttered.
I don't know who either of you really think you're kidding with your pacifistic tone. I didn't call anyone out in particular, but rather anyone in general deifying Joel. If people want their posts & opinions respected & cherished to such an emphatic degree, they can first bother to exhibit the self respect inherent in proof reading & spell checking their words before submitting. If so many of you care so little about what you have to say, that taking two-five minutes to proof read is an outrageous expectation; get out of my face regarding whether I respect your opinion. The work starts on your own end, not mine. There's plenty of people whose opinion states pop tarts & frosted flakes are a great breakfast. This doesn't make their opinion worth respecting, or the least bit accurate just b/c they endorse it.
Quit posturing as though I blasted anyone by name or specifically, unlike so many around here love to do. I stated my opinion get over it, it's in the proper thread.

Whatever, but that is still YOUR opinion, just as it is THEIR opinion if they want to call him a genius. You attacked other fans instead of simply stating your opinion. That is undeniably wrong. No one has the right to define something one way or another. We live in a world with a variety of opinions. You may think other opinions are wrong, but you can't attack someone for their belief. No one has that right.

You want to elevate Joel above being really good, seek out a thesaurus don't molest words like genius or god!! Those words are reserved for those who earn it.

Again, your opinion. How come you have the ability to define what makes a musical genius and others don't? If they think he is, okay. That's their opinion. You don't think he is. Okay, that's your opinion. You obviously have a problem with other opinions and have the need to attack them in an effort to aid your opinion. You should just be comfortable with the fact that you don't think he is a musical genius, state that, and leave it be. Why attack the fans and their opinions in the process?

Captain Obvious
October 27th, 2009, 11:23 PM
I got to say, I like all all of the music so far on the series. A good score has been an important part of fantasy since I saw the premier of TNG, and so far SGU has not disappointed me in that regard.

jrd231
October 28th, 2009, 08:03 AM
I just don't get any chemistry between Scott and Chloe, NONE! I fast forward through those sappy scenes, but I'm sure the music is just as annoying as their fake relationship.

You know, I see zero chemistry between the two as well. There is way more chemistry between Eli and Chloe. Although, I am opposed to any and all romance and relationships on television.

A matter of fact, I like the Scott character when he is in charge or second in command, but I feel he falls terribly short when interacting emotionally with other characters or when they try to depict him as a religious person. I just don't think Scott comes off as a deep person.

david.atwell
October 28th, 2009, 08:17 AM
Music has been a BIG highlight of every Stargate series that I've seen. I'm a huge fan of Joel, and his "reimagining" of what Stargate sounds like is phenomenal and exciting.

Actionhank
October 28th, 2009, 08:25 AM
Don't like every music in the season so far but "the shuttle hunt" has been quite a treat. :) Reminds me of Flash Gordon Queen Soundtrack, ...well sort of that direction.

blade82
October 28th, 2009, 02:20 PM
The music and look of some scenes is VERY Bladerunner... i love it!

Actionhank
October 29th, 2009, 01:47 AM
The music and look of some scenes is VERY Bladerunner... i love it!
Oh yeah! That one too. Thanks for the reminder. :)

Cold Fuzz
October 29th, 2009, 02:07 AM
I'm a freshmen at Concordia College, in Moorhead Minnesota. Fantastic music department! This year for guest performers we've got the King's Singers, David Gillingham, and the Oslo Chamber choir. I've also met Frank Ticheli through the school. Next year the our Concert Band is touring Japan.
I also love to play the piano, and auditioned for a scholarship on both piano and clarinet. I got it on Clarinet though, so I'm not a piano major but I'm still taking lessons. Next year I hope to either take lessons specific to the Romantic era (namely Liszt) or Jazz piano lessons.

If you end up taking piano lessons, I would highly suggest Liszt's "Sonetto 104 del Petrarca" from his Years of Pilgrimage. It's his most balanced piano piece, though not exactly his most famous. It's not too difficult, though some of the cadenzas will require numerous repetitions to get into your hands.

I did some jazz improvization, though admittedly most jazz musicians didn't like my style. :o I'm not a fan of jazz per se but if you're interested in developing a good, melodic playing technique, I suggest listening to some Bill Evans. I could never get a feel for jazz though as classical music and (especially) rock were always my native musical tongues. Lately, I've developed a great interest in Joe Satriani and soundtracks.

I hope you enjoy your tour of Japan. I remember 10 years ago our wind ensemble toured all over the place and participated in many competitions, including one at Cornell.

Ganos Lal
May 21st, 2010, 02:11 AM
my favorite part was when Destiny submerged itself into the star, those violins and cellos were amazing, I want that!