PDA

View Full Version : Why didn't they dial Earth when...

ckwongau
October 23rd, 2009, 09:39 PM
Why didn't they dial Earth when Destiny was still inside the sun, i mean if dialing Earth waste too much power .
Then it would be the perfect time to dial Earth while Destiny was re-charging inside the sun.
While Destiny still inside the sun, power should not be an issue, it is the time to find the point of orgin , that take a bit of time, the next time Destiny is still Sun dipping , they should dial Earth, but the intense gravity may create a portal to the past or the future.

Pharaoh Atem
October 23rd, 2009, 09:40 PM
but the intense gravity may create a portal to the past or the future.

fin

s09119
October 23rd, 2009, 09:41 PM
We have the advantage of hindsight; they did not. Would you have thought "Oh, let's dial Earth!" while you watch your ship plunge headlong into a star?

Pharaoh Atem
October 23rd, 2009, 09:43 PM
We have the advantage of hindsight; they did not. Would you have thought "Oh, let's dial Earth!" while you watch your ship plunge headlong into a star?

and translating that heat and energy into the earth gate ??? that would suck

Replicator Todd
October 23rd, 2009, 09:44 PM
They might try it next time...there was too much fear of the fact they are flying INSIDE a sun!

g.o.d
October 23rd, 2009, 10:34 PM
I doubt Destiny absorbed that required ammount of the power needed to dial the Earth

Cold Fuzz
October 23rd, 2009, 10:44 PM
I doubt Destiny absorbed that required ammount of the power needed to dial the Earth

They might not have absorbed the power to dial Earth but I have a feeling that the Destiny won't be having a power shortage now and that the primary systems will now be operating at nearly full capacity.

Avenger
October 23rd, 2009, 10:59 PM
I don't think they had enough power to even try. Plus, wormholes and suns do funny and unexpected things. They would have known that much. But yeah, the ship should be fully powered now, allowing more access to different systems and parts of the ship.

Count
October 23rd, 2009, 11:38 PM
Simple, gate safety protocol.

A stargate won't establish a wormhole in a situation where it would allow for the possibility of elemental materials to be picked up by the wormhole and deposited in a star. See "Red Sky" where a wormhole thru a star (A hacked gate that refused connections until Carter overrode it) introduced plutonium picked up in space by the wormhole into the K'tau sun, causing instability. .

The Asgard told O'neill it was a standard safety feature on all gates.

Alan Wake
October 23rd, 2009, 11:39 PM
I wonder how long the ship has to go between charges.

leiasky
October 23rd, 2009, 11:46 PM
I want to know why they didn't use the Communication Stones for the people to say goodbye to their families like Young said to O'Neill would need to happen of they couldn't find a way to save themselves.

eliteaceman
October 24th, 2009, 12:43 AM
Sun + Wormhole = Time Travel.....

October 24th, 2009, 02:07 AM
Sun + Wormhole = Time Travel.....

i thought it had to be a solar flare!

eliteaceman
October 24th, 2009, 02:17 AM
i thought it had to be a solar flare!

I would think being inside a sun would be equivilant to a solar flare lol

pipi
October 24th, 2009, 03:18 AM
I'm actually quite skeptical that Destiny, even with a force field, survived being crushed into a pin ball while it was travelling through the center of the Sun. If we nit pick at the realistic intensity of gravity at the center of the sun to cause nuclear fusion, then Destiny's got one of the best force fields of all time.

ckwongau
October 24th, 2009, 03:28 AM
I want to know why they didn't use the Communication Stones for the people to say goodbye to their families like Young said to O'Neill would need to happen of they couldn't find a way to save themselves.
Not enough time,If they use the stone , the connection may continue while the ship slowlying destroy by the sun, it will endanger the life of the people who switch body with the destiny crew.

Remember when Vala and Daniel use the stone to visit the Ori galaxy,it was a bit different they didn't exactly switch body , but their earth bodies fell into coma , while they use other people's bodies.
And when Vala was burn alive by the Ori worshipper, both Vala die in other people's body and Vala 's Earth body also die as well, it was lucky the Prior resurrected Vala , and her Earh body was OK again.

MattSilver 3k
October 24th, 2009, 03:36 AM

Oh, the irony. Yet we have people complain about using the stones during a crisis situation...

Edi
October 24th, 2009, 03:57 AM
I'm actually quite skeptical that Destiny, even with a force field, survived being crushed into a pin ball while it was travelling through the center of the Sun. If we nit pick at the realistic intensity of gravity at the center of the sun to cause nuclear fusion, then Destiny's got one of the best force fields of all time.

Where the hell did you get that they are going through the centre of the star?
Take in to a count that it was a red dwarf...

MechaThor
October 24th, 2009, 04:10 AM

Well the people on the Shuttle most likely took the stones with them. Plus they only had a few hours, it takes time to contact family, get there, say goodbye ect....

As for Star vs. Dialing Earth, I think that would have been a very bad idea. Time travel, unstable heavy elements, creating supernovas, all of these things show that despite the name Stars and Gates don't mix.

Sonicbluemustang
October 24th, 2009, 04:32 AM
Rush already said that they dont have the ability to dial earth. I think the gate on the ship only has a limited amount of dialing capabilities and what I`mean is the chevrons seem to be primitive IMO. :)

thekillman
October 24th, 2009, 05:13 AM
the sun's output for a week is roughly equal to what was drained from Icarus per dial. roughly....

anyway, even if it was the output of a day, still that 10 second plunge was nowhere near enough to dial the gate to earth.

Lt.Colonel John Sheppard
October 24th, 2009, 05:17 AM
according to water sneak peek Dr. Rush says that the Destiny has only about 40 Percent of its original power. .

Count
October 24th, 2009, 07:29 AM
Stargate Dialling + Star = Aborted / Safety Protocols.

Jeff-B
October 24th, 2009, 08:01 AM
Everybody(except possibly Rush, but that's another thread) was under the impression that they were simply going to die by burning up in the star. They were saying their final goodbyes when suddenly the lights started coming back on. I don't think anybody really had the presence of mind to attempt something like that(again, except possibly Rush, but so far he seems to be the last one that would attempt to get them home).

Dain
October 24th, 2009, 08:24 AM

The Destiny didn't fly straight through the star. It "only" touched the surface. Before hitting the solar surface, the ship can be clearly seen as it is starting to pull up and when it finally gently dives into the surface, it flies in a horizontal direction.

This is still ridiculously powerful for a starship, though. If the Ancients were capable of building such powerful shielding technology (even ignoring the insane heat absorption requirements), space battles would become complete nonsense. You'd have to hurl something more powerful than a star at the enemy to damage a ship. That's just crazy.

Rush already said that they dont have the ability to dial earth. I think the gate on the ship only has a limited amount of dialing capabilities and what I`mean is the chevrons seem to be primitive IMO.

A nine chevron adress was necessary to reach Destiny and it is likely required that they dial a nine chevron adress if they want to reach the Milky Way again. They know no other nine chevron adress other than the ship's.

So what adress are they even going to dial when trying to reach Earth? ( I realize they dialled Earth's adress already, but did they use the normal 7 chevron adress or what did they do?)

SG-17
October 24th, 2009, 08:37 AM
It did not pass through the center of the star, it simply skimmed the surface. Anyways the Destiny was probably designed to withstand the intense gravitational forces associated with a star now that we know it was designed to harvest materials from within the stars themselves.

Bebbe777
October 24th, 2009, 08:41 AM
Watch the teaser for next week. The answer is in there

leiasky
October 24th, 2009, 09:22 AM
Oh, the irony. Yet we have people complain about using the stones during a crisis situation...

I hate the stones with a passion. HATE THEM.

But this is called CONTINUITY.

I'll be fine if there is a believable reason given as to WHY the incredibly-convenient-but-only-for-certain-episodes communication stones were not used in the exact situation Young explained to O'Neill.

Ekras
October 24th, 2009, 02:58 PM
Not enough time,If they use the stone , the connection may continue while the ship slowlying destroy by the sun, it will endanger the life of the people who switch body with the destiny crew.

Remember when Vala and Daniel use the stone to visit the Ori galaxy,it was a bit different they didn't exactly switch body , but their earth bodies fell into coma , while they use other people's bodies.
And when Vala was burn alive by the Ori worshipper, both Vala die in other people's body and Vala 's Earth body also die as well, it was lucky the Prior resurrected Vala , and her Earh body was OK again.

This was actually explained. There was only 1 active terminal in SG1 when Vala and Daniel went to the Ori galaxy. Thats why they were unable to disconnect until they found the terminal as well. For you to "take over" the body of someone on the other side you need to have both the stones and the terminal. There is now a terminal (the human-made block thing they put the stone on) on both ends so they switch places. If someone on the Destiny used the stones, and the stone wasn't on a terminal on the other end they would become unconscious, and take over the body of the last person to touch the linking stone.

The "binding" bracelets that Daniel and Vala were wearing might have had an effect on this too - this was never fully explained.

Dark lord me
October 24th, 2009, 05:38 PM
Four words

Fixed point of Origin

Remember with Atlantis. When they were stuck in the middle of space they couldnt dial out because of no fixed point of origin

wargrafix
October 24th, 2009, 07:22 PM
I think they were in too much shock to really be thinking of that.

ancientaction
October 25th, 2009, 12:35 AM
yea, When Im thrown into a vat of Liquid Fire, my first thought is "what was my old phone number?"

Cold Fuzz
October 25th, 2009, 01:56 AM
yea, When Im thrown into a vat of Liquid Fire, my first thought is "what was my old phone number?"

For me, it'd probably be, "Hmm, I don't think this particular shade of red is going to look too good on me." Followed immediately by. "Oh ****."

Zleet
October 25th, 2009, 01:58 AM

Glad they didn't as i've hated all the uses of the stones so far as jarring soap opera emotion.

That said I doubt it would have been a good idea because what would have happened if someone went screaming for the hills in a stolen body rather than be returned to certain death. ;)

YutheGreat
October 25th, 2009, 07:50 AM
They can still do this now that the Destiny is fully charged right?

BrianD
October 25th, 2009, 08:05 AM
I have to agree I don't think the stargate is capable of dialing Earth. Keep in mind on Icarus they tapped the gate into the core of the planet to obtain the necessary power to dial the 9 chevron address. It's doubtful the ship possesses that kind of ability.

thekillman
October 25th, 2009, 08:16 AM
no.

the power of a star is not enough. well, of the entire star probably is, but first of all, a red dwarf is the looser among stars. it's like, just able to fuse hydrogen. only a brown dwarf, or "mega planet" is below a star. above it is everything else. even a white dwarf is better.

the energy output is much lower, and not just that, somebody calculated the energy hitting the destiny (using some guess work) is 10^14 or so. it's extremely stupid to dial earth with such a small amount of power. well, it could power earth for a day or so, but it's not enough to dial to earth

bradly08
October 25th, 2009, 12:31 PM
according to water sneak peek Dr. Rush says that the Destiny has only about 40 Percent of its original power. .

Damm you beat me to it :lol:

Joey
November 3rd, 2009, 11:38 AM
I have to agree I don't think the stargate is capable of dialing Earth. Keep in mind on Icarus they tapped the gate into the core of the planet to obtain the necessary power to dial the 9 chevron address. It's doubtful the ship possesses that kind of ability.

Thank you! My sentiments exactly.

Even if it does become possible, when the ship is at 100% power, (from what we know about Rush) I am fairly certain that Dr. Rush really wouldn't mind letting all of the people who want to leave do so so that he can have his giant shiny toy spaceship all to himself.

Whether the writers feel that way however, is another story...

Lord Hurin
November 3rd, 2009, 02:02 PM
This is still ridiculously powerful for a starship, though. If the Ancients were capable of building such powerful shielding technology (even ignoring the insane heat absorption requirements), space battles would become complete nonsense. You'd have to hurl something more powerful than a star at the enemy to damage a ship. That's just crazy.

Well, we can pick up and use solar power here on Earth and we're X hundred million miles away from the Sun. The ship was much, much closer so it's possible that it boosted the shields en route to the sun. Being so close to a sun and (presumably) having much more efficient ways of collecting the solar energy than we do here on Earth means that the shields are probably orders of magnitude more powerful in the recharge scenario...

cpt_ahab
November 27th, 2010, 06:36 AM
People have given all the good answers above. And in order of importance I think they are:

(1) They didn't know what was happening until it was too late
(2) Rush is aware about the limitations of the ship's power supplies
(3) Technical difficulties, e.g. the problem of gravitational distortion and unknown point of origin

What about later (S2)?

Much later we do get a return to this concept when Gin mentions it to Eli. We're aware that the crew did think about this, and that the main problem now is producing the math to make it work. Now that problem #1 is no longer relevant, they just have to deal with problems #2 and #3, which for the time being (late into season two) still are apparently insurmountable.

garhkal
November 29th, 2010, 03:38 AM
I am more in line with 2 and 3..