PDA

View Full Version : Poor Eli

Descended
October 23rd, 2009, 07:16 PM
Good enough to die with, but never <snip....we have a language filter for a reason, respect it please> I know he is "math boy," but that makes two times he has been there for Chloe when she is scared and she just uses him.

He is now permanently stuck in "girl friend" (as in she thinks of him as a female friend) territory. He should have told her to beat it, she can comfort herself while she dies.

Phantom6
October 23rd, 2009, 07:17 PM
Good enough to die with, but never <snip>I know he is "math boy," but that makes two times he has been there for Chloe when she is scared and she just uses him.

He is now permanently stuck in "girl friend" (as in she thinks of him as a female friend) territory. He should have told her to beat it, she can comfort herself while she dies.

Nice guy syndrome. He wouldn't do that because he has it.

Pat1487
October 23rd, 2009, 07:20 PM
Lol
I feel bad for Eli too

He didnt tell her to beat it because he still likes her
Even if he didnt still like her there wouldnt be any point in being mad at her since he thought they were about to die

JeffKnight
October 23rd, 2009, 07:22 PM
Good enough to die with, but never f*@k! I know he is "math boy," but that makes two times he has been there for Chloe when she is scared and she just uses him.

Yeah, I feel sorry for Eli too. I mean seriously, they've known each other for maybe a week and she does Scott because she's emotionally attached to him? Give me a break. Yeah he held her while her dad died, but come on.

I see this emotional yo-yo impairing Eli's performance down the road...

Phantom6
October 23rd, 2009, 07:24 PM
Yeah, I feel sorry for Eli too. I mean seriously, they've known each other for maybe a week and she does Scott because she's emotionally attached to him? Give me a break. Yeah he held her while her dad died, but come on.

I see this emotional yo-yo impairing Eli's performance down the road...

I honestly expect him to explode sometime down the road.

Descended
October 23rd, 2009, 07:27 PM
never <snip....we have a language filter for a reason, respect it please> I know he is "math boy," but that makes two times he has been there for Chloe when she is scared and she just uses him.

Sorry Skydiver, I wasn't trying to get around the filter, I was actually censoring myself (spelled it out in symbols), but I was using the vulgarity to make a point.

She just seems to be blatantly using him. Not disparaging her character (i.e. the other locked thread, because it makes Scott look like a tool, especially since James is actually on-board the ship) but I wish Eli would man up.

Myles
October 23rd, 2009, 07:28 PM
Yeah, I feel bad for Eli. He obviously likes her. But really, who's she gonna choose in that situation even if she might have feelings for both?

nhall
October 23rd, 2009, 07:28 PM
Yeah. Eli got friend-zoned in a matter of days. I think he's a little too quick to forgive people as well.

Poor guy. :(

Oh well, we'll see what that happens. (I'm hoping Scott turns out to be a 'mistake' for Chloe, and she ends up with Eli. Seriously, those two have waaay more chemistry!) If things do go that way, though, I hope Eli doesn't get stuck with the whole "why can't more guys be like you?" speech while still being friend-zoned. That always sucks.

wargrafix
October 23rd, 2009, 07:31 PM
The Eli character handles things pretty gracefully.

Isn't the next episode suppose to have a suicide in it?

Sonicbluemustang
October 23rd, 2009, 07:34 PM
Yes poor Eli but at least now he knows what she is thinking cause some ppl can give out wrong signals and not on purpose either. :)

Replicator Todd
October 23rd, 2009, 07:43 PM
Poor Eli indeed. I feel a little bad for him, especially since I do like Scott at all!

AVFan
October 23rd, 2009, 07:49 PM
Yeah, I posted this in the general discussion thread. I feel bad for him, and this episode makes me hate Chloe again. I thought maybe I would actually like her after Darkness, but like an above poster said, he's got NG syndrome. It's too bad.

I hope eventually Eli does go off on someone for this developing monster (metaphorically speaking of the Eli/Chloe/Scott triangle).

And I'd like to know where James fits into all of this...

the fifth man
October 23rd, 2009, 07:54 PM
Yeah, I posted this in the general discussion thread. I feel bad for him, and this episode makes me hate Chloe again. I thought maybe I would actually like her after Darkness, but like an above poster said, he's got NG syndrome. It's too bad.

I hope eventually Eli does go off on someone for this developing monster (metaphorically speaking of the Eli/Chloe/Scott triangle).

That is a very good question. We shall hopefully see.

Descended
October 23rd, 2009, 08:27 PM

Yea, if James had been evacuated with the Hammond it would be one thing (because he might feel that he will never see her again), but she is literally just down the hallway. Talk about having a girl in every port... Scott seems to have a girl in every supply closet.

AnonyMoose
October 23rd, 2009, 08:28 PM
Yeah, Eli definitely felt used, but what choice did he have at the end? If you're Eli and you're facing death, would you prefer to face it alone or prefer the company of Chloe?

The Scott/James/Chloe/Eli relationships are definitely heading towards a blow up.

Shan Bruce Lee
October 23rd, 2009, 08:38 PM
Good enough to die with, but never <snip....we have a language filter for a reason, respect it please> I know he is "math boy," but that makes two times he has been there for Chloe when she is scared and she just uses him.

She just seems to be blatantly using him. Not disparaging her character (i.e. the other locked thread, because it makes Scott look like a tool, especially since James is actually on-board the ship) but I wish Eli would man up.

I don't feel sorry for Eli. Maybe he thinks that because they're in a dire situation with little hope that he has a chance where normally he wouldn't, but that's not her fault.

She hasn't done anything to "use" him either. Is there some unspoken rule that a woman can't be friends with men unless it's a serious monogamous relationship?

He just set his hopes too high.

AVFan
October 23rd, 2009, 08:47 PM
I don't feel sorry for Eli. Maybe he thinks that because they're in a dire situation with little hope that he has a chance where normally he wouldn't, but that's not her fault.

She hasn't done anything to "use" him either. Is there some unspoken rule that a woman can't be friends with men unless it's a serious monogamous relationship?

Do you hold hands with girls that are just friends? I know I don't. The only physical contact that happens with friends that are girls is the occasional hug. Nothing she did said "You're my friend, and nothing else." It all said more than that IMO.

segaxgames
October 23rd, 2009, 08:50 PM
Eli's character development really makes me want to kill myself.. It reminds me of my life. You know, the guy who likes the girl but the girl always seems to go for the other guy.. Sigh.. SGU makes me depressed. I need to get laid.

segaxgames
October 23rd, 2009, 08:52 PM

she treats him like he's her teddy bear. that's horrible!

Pharaoh Atem
October 23rd, 2009, 08:52 PM
that's life how many people in this world end up with the ones their truly would be happy with???

rarely no one

dahok
October 23rd, 2009, 08:59 PM
Eli's character development really makes me want to kill myself.. It reminds me of my life. You know, the guy who likes the girl but the girl always seems to go for the other guy.. Sigh.. SGU makes me depressed. I need to get laid.

Heh... Eli is too much like the everyman. So the SGU writers succeeded. The girls seem to like Scott though, I'm betting for the same shallow reasons why Chloe is well received by some guys.

I wonder if a Kino will take an "out of control" spin toward Scott's noggin?

Radahldo
October 23rd, 2009, 09:06 PM
Do you hold hands with girls that are just friends? I know I don't. The only physical contact that happens with friends that are girls is the occasional hug. Nothing she did said "You're my friend, and nothing else." It all said more than that IMO.

She held his hand so that he might lead her somewhere. When she made that decision it did not appear to me that she full conceived how romantic the view would be. She was falling into depression and he was there, insisting on experiencing the view.I don't think its realistic to expect her to withold from or be cognizanf of affections that may be misconstrued as flirty, as she has other things on her mind. Eli saw that.
But it would be in everyones best interest to lay off the Teddy bear stuff.

LorAsh
October 23rd, 2009, 09:21 PM
Everything I have seen from Eli leads me to believe that Eli really does not know how to interact, even act around women let alone beautiful women. It seems like she may have put something out there, but he did not respond in a way that she was expecting. I think that if he would have been a little more forward she never would have ended up with Scott and we would not have some weird polygon forming.

Shan Bruce Lee
October 23rd, 2009, 09:23 PM

I do a lot more than that. Especially in unusual circumstances. But my point is that I've never seen holding hands as a turning point from friends to relationship.

jelgate
October 23rd, 2009, 09:27 PM
Maybe Chloe finds out about James and runs into Eli's arms:P

AVFan
October 23rd, 2009, 09:27 PM
She held his hand so that he might lead her somewhere. When she made that decision it did not appear to me that she full conceived how romantic the view would be. She was falling into depression and he was there, insisting on experiencing the view.I don't think its realistic to expect her to withold from or be cognizanf of affections that may be misconstrued as flirty, as she has other things on her mind. Eli saw that.

That's not the time I was really talking about- that was last episode. This episode had a more intimate hand-hold... Wow, I feel like such a nerd dissecting this.. XD

But yeah, I felt it was misleading for Eli. Not that it really mattered for him (from his vantage point) because he was about to die.

kbtkbt
October 23rd, 2009, 09:29 PM
Eli will get over it soon and at least he knows now where he stands. Cloe likes Scott better and Eli as her buddy only?

Pharaoh Atem
October 23rd, 2009, 09:33 PM
chloe and eli are only friends simple as that. eli just put his hopes up like all men do when you meet a new girl.........

Archaeis
October 23rd, 2009, 09:50 PM

Maybe, but I see it going down more like this:

James finds out that Scott and Chloe ****. She isn't the sort to just sit back and knows that Eli likes Chloe, so she goes after Eli for a vengeance ****. In the process, she eats him alive, so to speak. We next find him curled shaking uncontrollably out of being emotionally traumatized in a cold mist shower, where Chloe finds him, and tells him everything will be alright.

garhkal
October 23rd, 2009, 09:50 PM

True dat. I mean, he is not in any way a good catch for a lass. heck he is not what i would consider a good fall back guy in normal circumstances. He has shown himself to be lazy (his flashback) juvinile (all his jokes), but at least he is dependable (willing to be a 'shoulder for her)..

Descended
October 23rd, 2009, 10:06 PM
But yeah, I felt it was misleading for Eli. Not that it really mattered for him (from his vantage point) because he was about to die.

Yea, but he was sooooo hoping to lose his virginity before it happened :-)

James finds out that Scott and Chloe ****. She isn't the sort to just sit back and knows that Eli likes Chloe, so she goes after Eli for a vengeance ****. In the process, she eats him alive, so to speak. We next find him curled shaking uncontrollably out of being emotionally traumatized in a cold mist shower, where Chloe finds him, and tells him everything will be alright

I must agree though... CougarJames would eat Eli alive, he would be her puppy after that. He might drop dead of a World of Warcraft, Mountain Dew-fed heart attack if she released her "girls" in his presence. To quote Samuel Jackson from "A long kiss goodnight" - "you can see 'em coming around a corner, you got time to comb your hair"

Reiko25
October 23rd, 2009, 10:09 PM
Eli and Chloe should of Hooked up because right at the start you see Scott going for it with Vanessa

MattSilver 3k
October 23rd, 2009, 10:10 PM
I must agree though... CougarJames would eat Eli alive, he would be her puppy after that. He might drop dead of a World of Warcraft, Mountain Dew-fed heart attack if she released her "girls" in his presence. To quote Samuel Jackson from "A long kiss goodnight" - "you can see 'em coming around a corner, you got time to comb your hair"

Has James come off as that, you know, *****y? She threatened to kick Eli and Riley's ass if they spied on her, but that's pretty understandable.

Pharaoh Atem
October 23rd, 2009, 10:10 PM
Eli and Chloe should of Hooked up because right at the start you see Scott going for it with Vanessa

she was just a quickie. neither one of them had any true feelings towards one another

AVFan
October 23rd, 2009, 10:14 PM
she was just a quickie. neither one of them had any true feelings towards one another

Somehow I doubt that they would risk a court marshall for something trivial like that. I just don't believe that.

Pharaoh Atem
October 23rd, 2009, 10:17 PM
Somehow I doubt that they would risk a court marshall for something trivial like that. I just don't believe that.

who says court marshall was even a thought to the both of them. scott loves sex and vanessa is attractive she was willing to give him what he wanted knowing that it was benefit her also

Descended
October 23rd, 2009, 10:28 PM
who says court marshall was even a thought to the both of them. scott loves sex and vanessa is attractive she was willing to give him what he wanted knowing that it was benefit her also

Oh come on, screwing a subordinate... during a Senator's inspection... while on another planet... as a member of the "elite" SGC... Scott would have been drummed out of the military so fast it would have made your head spin.

No way he would have risked his career for just a "quickie" - there has got to be more back-story.

Doomgoggles
October 23rd, 2009, 10:35 PM
Yeah, after defending Chloe last week, I've lost a bit of respect for her now.

Not nearly all, mind you, but she new that guy for how long?

And Scott...after all, he should know by now how to control his 'sinful' behaviour.

Cold Fuzz
October 23rd, 2009, 10:35 PM

I hope that Eli gets past the unrequited love thing quickly. Though I can see why TPTB inserted this storyline for him but I'm starting to think that there are other aspects to his character that should be better explored.

It's interesting that he has no regrets when it comes to being onboard the Destiny. I think that on a certain level, he understands something about his role and destiny on the Destiny. Back on Earth, he's the unemployed slacker who sleeps in, plays video games all night, and can't handle the so-called real world. On the Destiny, he has a chance to be something much greater and nobler than what he was before. His skills are needed on the Destiny, and he's started to earn the respect of his crewmates. The Colonel has come to depend on his insights and even Rush can see the value in his math genius. He's got military personnel depending on him and he's even trumped more experienced scientists like Brody and Volker a number of times.

I think that being on the Destiny is an opportunity of a lifetime for Eli. I get the feeling that if the Destiny were somehow to make it back to Earth, Eli would either elect to stay onboard or immediately sign up for another deep space expedition. In any case, Eli now has an opportunity to be the kind of person he could never be back on Earth: The hero.

Ouroboros
October 23rd, 2009, 10:43 PM
He should have told her to beat it, she can comfort herself while she dies.

"Maybe you should go find Scott, oh that's right he left.... you.... here. Oh well there were at least 3 other women in that group right. I'm sure he'll be fine. Want some marshmallows?"

Eli's a sap and a nerd cliche, Scott is a joke with hormones and Chloe's a space slut. Rush is the only character I like so far but I'm starting to warm up to the Colonel as well. Hopefully the good doctor can find a way to launch all the rest of them into the next sun and the rest of the show can just be about him and Young arguing about whether it was the right thing to do or not.

Spoilers it was.

jelgate
October 23rd, 2009, 10:46 PM
"Maybe you should go find Scott, oh that's right he left.... you.... here. Oh well there were at least 3 other women in that group right. I'm sure he'll be fine. Want some marshmallows?"

Eli's a sap and a nerd cliche, Scott is a joke with hormones and Chloe's a space slut. Rush is the only character I like so far but I'm starting to warm up to the Colonel as well. Hopefully the good doctor can find a way to launch all the rest of them into the next sun and the rest of the show can just be about him and Young arguing about whether it was the right thing to do or not.

Spoilers it was.

Sleeping with one man makes you a slut? Your logic confuses me

Wolf
October 23rd, 2009, 10:48 PM
Agreed with most of what was said here. Eli does have nice guy syndrome. And I just knew Scott was going to hook up with Chloe from the pilot, and the nice guy part of me wants so badly to push him out of the nearest airlock for Eli's sake haha. I'll give Scott props for telling the girl what she wanted to hear thou, smooth lol.

Alan Wake
October 23rd, 2009, 10:50 PM
Let's be clear here... the only real reason Eli might see an interest in her is because she's probably the only other female person of his age on the ship.

He doesn't have much to pick from...

Wolf
October 23rd, 2009, 10:52 PM
Sleeping with one man makes you a slut? Your logic confuses me

I don't think I'd go so far as to call her a "slut," maybe he's just jaded that she went for the player after knowing him for like.. what, 2 days? lol. I was really hoping that, for once, a character would actually surprise me and not hook up w/ the military guy/player who tells her what she wants to hear instead of the nice guy that's always there for her. /so typical lol.

GateroomGuard
October 23rd, 2009, 10:56 PM
Let's be clear here... the only real reason Eli might see an interest in her is because she's probably the only other female person of his age on the ship.

Of course he and James could get together to get Scott and Chloe jealous. James would just have resist the urge to through him out an airlock while Eli would have to deal with Greer watching him like a hawk.

Ouroboros
October 23rd, 2009, 11:12 PM
Sleeping with one man that you've known for three days makes you a slut? Your logic confuses me

Yes. Don't get me wrong though, Scott's just as big a slut.

jelgate
October 23rd, 2009, 11:14 PM

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/slut

Descended
October 23rd, 2009, 11:18 PM
Eli's a sap and a nerd cliche, Scott is a joke with hormones and Chloe's a space slut.

Be careful with the character attacks, I don't want the thread locked like the other one was :-)

No, I think he was interested in her because he doesn't have a lot of experience with woman and she seemed to like him at first. Remember the whole scene in the mess hall of the Hammond. But she doesn't think of him as a man anymore, he is a woman friend to her. Heck... she even takes him into the bathroom with her, next thing you know, she will be like hauling Eli along to the Ladies' Room to talk to her while she pees.

Ouroboros
October 24th, 2009, 12:06 AM
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/slut

Your dictionary has no specific definition for "space slut" which is what I called her. The "space slut" is a subspecies of the common slut amorous familiaris and thus has a somewhat different set of identifying markings and behaviors, it's strong urge to mate with members of species doucheus maximus, and equally strong aversion to cheetous odorous being the most frequently observed thus far.

Be careful with the character attacks, I don't want the thread locked like the other one was :-)

They're locking threads for insulting fictional people now? Even despite how much fun it is? Is this new because I used to absolutely eviscerate Sheppard, Dex and most of the rest of the expedition on the Atlantis forums.

I don't mean to imply anything about the actors in either situation if that's what they're worried about.

Uncle Tobias
October 24th, 2009, 12:33 AM

Don't worry buddy, many of us have been through the same thing, you aren't alone

Radahldo
October 24th, 2009, 12:33 AM
But she doesn't think of him as a man anymore, he is a woman friend to her. Heck... she even takes him into the bathroom with her, next thing you know, she will be like hauling Eli along to the Ladies' Room to talk to her while she pees.

She femininizing him? Really?

Lost
October 24th, 2009, 01:50 AM
This thread is hilarious.

I do wish Eli would have pulled his shoulder back at the right moment for Chloe to hit the floor like a sack of potatoes. Her character is damaged goods now.

She's hot, but a good woman she's not.

jdog
October 24th, 2009, 02:29 AM
Well i think a few things some people missed.

1- she knew scott would be one of the two to get on the ship, sleeping with the cute miltary man who might be able to get you on the ship makes him Very attrative. Plus they believed they were gonna die, changes things a bit.

2- I think cloe is clueless that ELI likes her, shes very insecure and stuck in her own feelings. When she tells him he doesnt have to follow her she was definatly masking her insecurities about being alone.

3-She does like ELI but its obvious her feelings for him are for affection not attraction. Shes attracted to scott but i dont think she has affection for him. She does for ELI. Shes also very young 23, she has not idea with being a daddys girl what to do with her emotions, her dad was her rock and he is now gone. Shes gonna emotionally implode at some point.

Lost
October 24th, 2009, 03:02 AM

1- she knew scott would be one of the two to get on the ship, sleeping with the cute miltary man who might be able to get you on the ship makes him Very attrative. Plus they believed they were gonna die, changes things a bit.

Which makes her selfish. Also using her body to get what she wants. There's a name for chicks like that.

2- I think cloe is clueless that ELI likes her, shes very insecure and stuck in her own feelings. When she tells him he doesnt have to follow her she was definatly masking her insecurities about being alone.

She knows Eli likes her, she feels like she is too good for the tubby nerd type. I bet she is pregnant with Scott the super seeder now. Eli will be there for her throughout her pregnancy, like the schmuck that he is. Scott will be off spreading more of his super seed throughout the galaxy.

3-She does like ELI but its obvious her feelings for him are for affection not attraction. Shes attracted to scott but i dont think she has affection for him. She does for ELI. Shes also very young 23, she has not idea with being a daddys girl what to do with her emotions, her dad was her rock and he is now gone. Shes gonna emotionally implode at some point.

She wants her cake and eat it too. That's what daddy's girl likes. I hope she implodes in cold space. There's no excuse.

:)

pipi
October 24th, 2009, 03:13 AM
Eli was the typical passive geek who lost the girl to a jock. hahahaha. History always repeat. Since he's got so much free time playing with his Kino, maybe he should get in shape for a few minutes a day. Start with pushups!

UniverseSizePlotHole
October 24th, 2009, 04:44 AM
At least ****** seconds weren't given to Eli because you know... err... he'd feel worse.

It seems Lt Scott at the moment can do what he wants - was he actually 'off-duty' for the interlude? It seems a 'loose' ship so far - only Spencer has had it coming and has actually got it!

Also telling he didn't try and get Chloe on board the shuttle somehow. Young would have been snookered if Lt Scott had made an ultimatum over Chloe gaining a place on the shuttle.

As to Eli shaping up - well the diet may help a little!

techwork
October 24th, 2009, 05:49 AM
Pfff wake up Neo. Ha. I was saying. Eli - Wally. And Wally got absolutely nothing or just something that unnecessarily stronger males. Pfff This is not SG. DDD got Sauri //// Eli got Kino :)

Phenom
October 24th, 2009, 05:57 AM

Christ I guess I am a slut then too....

Scott has bagged 2 girls in 4 eps....who is left?? Wray, that scientist chick, probably a cook or something we haven't met yet. If SGU lasts 10 seasons there are going to be a few awkward glances once he works he way through the ship several times.

MattSilver 3k
October 24th, 2009, 06:01 AM

Scott has bagged 2 girls in 4 eps....who is left?? Wray, that scientist chick, probably a cook or something we haven't met yet. If SGU lasts 10 seasons there are going to be a few awkward glances once he works he way through the ship several times.

Ladies' Poker Night would be a blast!

Stormtrooper
October 24th, 2009, 06:05 AM
Chloe is easy. Eli will have his turn.

FoolishPleasure
October 24th, 2009, 06:06 AM
Let's see. Chloe screams for Eli when she is scared. She holds his hand, puts her head on his shoulder, then has sex with our resident male ho, Lt. Scott.

Eli can do better. Much better.

Chloe and Scott deserve each other. Hopefully they'll have a prayer meeting. . .in the airlock. ;)

morrismike
October 24th, 2009, 06:07 AM
Yes poor Eli but at least now he knows what she is thinking cause some ppl can give out wrong signals and not on purpose either. :)

not on purpose? girls like that leave a trail of carnage whereever they go

Jeff-B
October 24th, 2009, 07:39 AM
Another question, did James even know about Scott and Chloe "hooking up"? If she did, it didn't seem to bother her in the least. If that's the case, then James would be the more likely candidate to be into sex without emotional attachment.

In the meantime, I can definitely relate to Eli. You really like a woman and you think you're headed toward a relationship with her, then out of the "blue"(bad unintentional joke) you're in the friend zone while she hooks up with someone you thought was your friend.

Arative
October 24th, 2009, 09:32 AM
As I said in the general discussion thread, Eli has been friendzoned, there is no coming back from that. Of course like most guys that have been put in the friend zone, he doesn't realize yet. He thinks the holding hands, the head on the shoulder is Chloe showing attraction to him. He's so very wrong.

Hopefully he doesn't pine away for her for too long, grows a pair and tells her to bugger off. That's the only responsible thing to do when you've been friendzoned.

This is probably the most real writing I've seen on Stargate, in terms of what actually happens to lots of guys.

WhiplashX86
October 24th, 2009, 09:33 AM
So what if they are friends now. It really bothers me that people say that once people are friends, thats it. Friends CAN become more, I have seen it happen with a few of my friends. So there might be hope for him still.

dahok
October 24th, 2009, 09:34 AM
As I said in the general discussion thread, Eli has been friendzoned, there is no coming back from that. Of course like most guys that have been put in the friend zone, he doesn't realize yet. He thinks the holding hands, the head on the shoulder is Chloe showing attraction to him. He's so very wrong.

Hopefully he doesn't pine away for her for too long, grows a pair and tells her to bugger off. That's the only responsible thing to do when you've been friendzoned.

This is probably the most real writing I've seen on Stargate, in terms of what actually happens to lots of guys.

I'm rooting for Eli/anyone else now. Except Greer though, I'm not against G/L relationships, he'll just be abusive. ;)

Edit: But I want him to assert himself on the ship first. A miracle equation last night was a start though.

Arative
October 24th, 2009, 09:35 AM
So what if they are friends now. It really bothers me that people say that once people are friends, thats it. Friends CAN become more, I have seen it happen with a few of my friends. So there might be hope for him still.

Realistically, there may be a 1 in 100 chance of something more developing but 99 times out of a 100, once your in the friend zone, that's it. Eli however isn't socially adept enough to maneuver himself out of the friend zone, at least at this point.

WhiplashX86
October 24th, 2009, 09:42 AM
That is not always the case. They have been friends for what 2 days maybe? That is hardly locked in the friends zone. Maybe friends of a few years might have trouble going further since they might see the other as a brother/sister instead, but just a few days or even weeks?

I have seen it happen a few times, its not that uncommon. But like I said, probably in a few years and still really good friends THAT might be the time when you are permanently locked in. But even friends for a couple of months find it easy to move.

Jeff-B
October 24th, 2009, 09:53 AM
I'm rooting for Eli/anyone else now. Except Greer though, I'm not against G/L relationships, he'll just be abusive. ;)

Edit: But I want him to assert himself on the ship first. A miracle equation last night was a start though.

Absolutely, he needs to assert himself on the ship. His flashback scene reinforced the notion that he was a real slacker( college dropout moves back in with his mom, letting her work to support him while he plays video games all night and sleeps all day avoiding looking for a job). Kind of a contrast to "Air", where you may have thought he was being noble by moving in with his mom because she was very sick.

His character should develop a lot, considering in just a few days he went from "gamer/slacker" with no real plan in life, to being beamed out of his house and becoming a big asset to a bunch of scientists( at Icarus), to where he is now, kind of an all-around "go to" guy for a bunch of people who honestly believe they may not live another week. I find it pretty realistic that his personality hasn't quite caught up with everything that's going on yet.

tasev1
October 24th, 2009, 09:57 AM
I feel for the guy because I was in his spot too. (and still waiting).

Thats what I love about this show - REAL PEOPLE DRAMA IN SPACE.

prion
October 24th, 2009, 09:57 AM
Let's see. Chloe screams for Eli when she is scared. She holds his hand, puts her head on his shoulder, then has sex with our resident male ho, Lt. Scott.

Eli can do better. Much better.

Chloe and Scott deserve each other. Hopefully they'll have a prayer meeting. . .in the airlock. ;)

Ouch.

I think Chloe can be shallow. I wouldn't be surprised she's got a boyfriend back on earth and we'll find out about that later. Chloe uses Eli as her brotherly type friend, but yeah, has sex with Scott. I realize people get confused in life or death situations, but I hope she stops sending signals to Eli that he could be more than just a friend.

Kaiphantom
October 24th, 2009, 10:18 AM
There's a joke: "Why is 'The Watchmen' considered science fiction?"
Answer: "Because the hot chick jumps the nerdy guy."

At least I can feel more comfortable that SGU is aiming for reality...

syfygal47
October 24th, 2009, 10:23 AM
I really feel for Eli. I think Chloe treated him despicably, and I certainly don't feel any sympathy for her.

IcarusAbides
October 24th, 2009, 10:37 AM
Hope Eli doesn't start turning into Rush because of this.

missmobius
October 24th, 2009, 11:01 AM

if it's any comfort to you and any other Eli type guy, I prefer Eli way MORE than Scott :)

missmobius
October 24th, 2009, 11:12 AM
This thread is hilarious.

I do wish Eli would have pulled his shoulder back at the right moment for Chloe to hit the floor like a sack of potatoes. Her character is damaged goods now.

She's hot, but a good woman she's not.

she's not even hot, what's so hot about her? her body, maybe, but her persona is totally sappy whinny and boring, and her face is just an average young woman's face, nothing extraordinary there.

missmobius
October 24th, 2009, 11:16 AM
Ouch.

I think Chloe can be shallow. I wouldn't be surprised she's got a boyfriend back on earth and we'll find out about that later. Chloe uses Eli as her brotherly type friend, but yeah, has sex with Scott. I realize people get confused in life or death situations, but I hope she stops sending signals to Eli that he could be more than just a friend.

she's beyond shallow, I mean her father just died less than a week ago? and she's getting busy with Scott?

totally ludicrous!

jelgate
October 24th, 2009, 11:18 AM
she's beyond shallow, I mean her father just died less than a week ago? and she's getting busy with Scott?

totally ludicrous!

Don't confuse shallow with vulnerable;)

Given Scott's past maybe he took advantage of that:P

Myles
October 24th, 2009, 11:21 AM

totally ludicrous!

Not ludicrous. She lost her father and was looking for someone to make her feel better. It wasn't no emotion involved sex, just like it wasn't 'making love' sex.

Nemises
October 24th, 2009, 11:41 AM

Spoilers it was.

My thoughts exactly.

Jonzey
October 24th, 2009, 11:56 AM
Show of hands: How many of us have been in Eli's situation?

Otarush
October 24th, 2009, 12:02 PM
Show of hands: How many of us have been in Eli's situation?

Me. I feel bad for him.

Infinite-Possibilities
October 24th, 2009, 01:34 PM

Scott has bagged 2 girls in 4 eps....

So then your life is divided into episodes too?;)

Personally, while I could well still be wrong, I still think Eli is the overwhelming favorite to get the hot girl in the end because in a show like this the nerd more often gets the hot girl.

Frankly I can't feel too sorry for him when I'm almost sure he's going to win in the end. Especially since Scott has that big sex and women themed character flaw. This whole thing seems like a recipe for cliche again. I hope it is not.

And I don't want some ridiculous soap opera situation. For a while I was afraid she would have sex with Eli and when Scott returned they would be in this big AAAACKWARD situation for the rest of the season.

Besides, it's his own fault for participating in *another* love triangle. :o

SoulReaver
October 24th, 2009, 02:31 PM
Eli w/nice guy syndrome? gosh that is a surprise. never saw that coming :/

I still think Eli is the overwhelming favorite to get the hot girl in the end because in a show like this the nerd more often gets the hot girl. ah that's the good thing about fiction eh ? what is nigh-impossible in real life becomes plausible

Thunderbird 2
October 24th, 2009, 03:11 PM
Reading this thread has gont me thinking that there is another equation to all of this. Ahem, is TJ trained in Midwifery?! Scott's antics imply that it may be a requirement by the end of the season! I think the man is a sexual compulsive.

Chloe's behaviour is all over the place, she has no purpose or function on the ship. Bereavement is probably driving her a bit doolaly as well, and she needs a friend. - As the one other person for "the real world" Eli is that person.

Eli? Jeez I feel sorry for him but the flashback makes the point. (As David Blue has said himself in his Gateworld Interview) - Eli is scared of asserting himself, because he is terrified of failing. He has had the luxury of being able to back off and think nothing of it.

Incidentally if you haven't heard the interview I can reccomend it!

Eli will find his place. He understand the ship, not as well as Rush does yet, but he has purpose, and hes approachable. I think hes going to plesantly surprise us. - Its Colonel Young I am worried about!

Trance
October 24th, 2009, 03:12 PM
His character should develop a lot, considering in just a few days he went from "gamer/slacker" with no real plan in life, to being beamed out of his house and becoming a big asset to a bunch of scientists( at Icarus), to where he is now, kind of an all-around "go to" guy for a bunch of people who honestly believe they may not live another week. I find it pretty realistic that his personality hasn't quite caught up with everything that's going on yet.

I just got an image of Eli as a handyman on Destiny. Toolbelt and all. I really can see people turning to him to fix everylast problem, but I'm not sure they'll appreciate him. Most people don't appreciate the ones who make their lives eaiser

Trance
October 24th, 2009, 03:16 PM
Chloe's behaviour is all over the place, she has no purpose or function on the ship. Bereavement is probably driving her a bit doolaly as well, and she needs a friend. - As the one other person for "the real world" Eli is that person.

I agree that Chloe is probably still getting through the loss of her dad. But truthfully unless her character changes a great deal I don't think she is good enough for Eli.

Trelak
October 24th, 2009, 04:30 PM
I just saw the episode and i felt sooo bad for him :(

I like this show, but now i hate this Chloe character. I've been in the same situation Eli is in(minus the trapped on a space ship ofcourse :p ), and it all came back to me when watching that episode. SGU is good at bringing in the emotions :)

Whitering
October 24th, 2009, 04:53 PM
Eli is not assertive enough. He's probably been in this situation before, it tends to be a pattern with plenty of guys. I have too many friends that are the same way. Mostly fellow nerdy types.

Eli will be injured by this even more than those in the past because there is nowhere he can go. Maybe he will end up spending more time with Rush now, which would be great because I am not a big fan of anyone else.

O'Neil
October 24th, 2009, 05:13 PM
Ok, here is it.....

Chloe is shallow. She is a high maintenance girl that likes to use people. She has no purpose on the ship.... other than being a sexual release for Scott.

Eli was way too nice with the whole situation. He knows about Chloe and Scott, but Chloe doesnt know that he knows. Eli should have put some distance between him and her, and not sat there with her on the viewing deck and held her hand. She's not interested in him for anything else other than using him when theres no one else around for safety and comfort.

Chloe should be ejected out of a tube, into the star.

jelgate
October 24th, 2009, 05:17 PM
Ok, here is it.....

Chloe is shallow. She is a high maintenance girl that likes to use people. She has no purpose on the ship.... other than being a sexual release for Scott.

Eli was way too nice with the whole situation. He knows about Chloe and Scott, but Chloe doesnt know that he knows. Eli should have put some distance between him and her, and not sat there with her on the viewing deck and held her hand. She's not interested in him for anything else other than using him when theres no one else around for safety and comfort.

Using people implies she has some kind mission on the Destiny. Their is nothing to suggest this. If anyone is user its Lt. James

Rac80
October 24th, 2009, 05:24 PM

it's the quadrangle of doom!!!!

even Elvis knew that women love teddy bears! ;) I know I love my teddy bear hubby! :D

pharaoh atem...do you have sources that the rest of us aren't privy to? you are making a lot of assertions with no evidence.

Oh come on, screwing a subordinate... during a Senator's inspection... while on another planet... as a member of the "elite" SGC... Scott would have been drummed out of the military so fast it would have made your head spin.

No way he would have risked his career for just a "quickie" - there has got to be more back-story.

yep, I agree... more than he is a ho ... I am betting james thought they ahd a relationship.

Your dictionary has no specific definition for "space slut" which is what I called her. The "space slut" is a subspecies of the common slut amorous familiaris and thus has a somewhat different set of identifying markings and behaviors, it's strong urge to mate with members of species doucheus maximus, and equally strong aversion to cheetous odorous being the most frequently observed thus far.

They're locking threads for insulting fictional people now? Even despite how much fun it is? Is this new because I used to absolutely eviscerate Sheppard, Dex and most of the rest of the expedition on the Atlantis forums.

I don't mean to imply anything about the actors in either situation if that's what they're worried about.

it's SGU the untouchable show you know! ;) mustn't criticize, mustn't say anything bad about tptb's shiney new toy! :P

so she is essentially prostituting herself eh? doesn['t make me think highly of her at all.

jelgate
October 24th, 2009, 05:27 PM
it's SGU the untouchable show you know! ;) mustn't criticize, mustn't say anything bad about tptb's shiney new toy! :P

No. I just prefer people use proper terms and think logically

Rac80
October 24th, 2009, 05:30 PM
No. I just prefer people use proper terms and think logically

wasn't talking to you...was talking about the attitude by those in charge here. you and logicl! :lol: riiiiiiiiiight. match made in...well never made. :P:P

jelgate
October 24th, 2009, 05:34 PM
wasn't talking to you...was talking about the attitude by those in charge here. you and logicl! :lol: riiiiiiiiiight. match made in...well never made. :P:P

I have seen them allow many posts were critical just no mindless bashing.

And as for the logic well I guess you don't know me as well as you thought;):P

O'Neil
October 24th, 2009, 05:47 PM
Using people implies she has some kind mission on the Destiny. Their is nothing to suggest this. If anyone is user its Lt. James

You dont have to be on a mission to use people. For some, its a lifestyle and a way of life. Usually a sign of a high maintenance person.

All the hype last week with wanting Eli to stay with her when the lights went out. Now impending death and its time to sleep with Scott. Scott leaves, so now its time to go back to faithful Eli. Now the ship is up and running..... who will be next? Find out next week on a all new episode of "A girl, a guy, and an old ship!".

jelgate
October 24th, 2009, 05:49 PM
You dont have to be on a mission to use people. For some, its a lifestyle and a way of life. Usually a sign of high maintenance person.

All then hype last week with wanting Eli to stay with her when the lights went out. Now impending death and its time to sleep with Scott. Scott leaves, so now its time to go back to faithful Eli. Now the ship is up and running..... who will be next? Find out next week on a all new episode of "A girl, a guy, and an old ship!".

But she never even showed any intentions to Eli. It was all in his head. All she wanted was him to show him how to use a shower.

Col.Foley
October 24th, 2009, 05:52 PM
You dont have to be on a mission to use people. For some, its a lifestyle and a way of life. Usually a sign of a high maintenance person.

All the hype last week with wanting Eli to stay with her when the lights went out. Now impending death and its time to sleep with Scott. Scott leaves, so now its time to go back to faithful Eli. Now the ship is up and running..... who will be next? Find out next week on a all new episode of "A girl, a guy, and an old ship!".I think that is a bit unfair. Well not neccesarrilly unfair, but there are ways of looking at this other then she is simply using Eli.
One is that she is naive. Which is a very real possibillity.
And two is that she needs someone to be there for her, no matter what. In the case of the shower and that scene it was Eli, he was there, and she needed him to help with the shower. And did not want to be alone... on a big scary ship millions of light years away from home. That she needs companionship and comfort, she is just lucky enough to get it from two people. One she views as a friend, the other she is attracted to.

But she never even showed any intentions to Eli. It was all in his head. All she wanted was him to show him how to use a shower.
and touching him, and assuring him that she did not mind him following her around, and putting her head on his shoulder:p

jelgate
October 24th, 2009, 05:54 PM
and touching him, and assuring him that she did not mind him following her around, and putting her head on his shoulder:p

Have you ever had a platonic frienship with a girl? On average they tend to be a little touchy then guys. Never mind how vulernable the Chloe character is.

Col.Foley
October 24th, 2009, 06:01 PM
Have you ever had a platonic frienship with a girl? On average they tend to be a little touchy then guys. Never mind how vulernable the Chloe character is.
True I was just horsing around:P.
And yes, yes I have had a platonic relationship with a few girls...mind you they have not been very touchy:S.
Look, I am defending her actions because I do not think she realizes Eli has feelings for her, and I understand them..just saying:p

Radahldo
October 24th, 2009, 06:03 PM
He didn't assert his feelings; if he did, her disinterest would been communicated. He interacted with her in a meaningful way by comforting her and I don't see how that connotes to more... to me, it's very cleary friend-zone.
It would bother me if he acted spurned in future eps.

jelgate
October 24th, 2009, 06:04 PM
True I was just horsing around:P.
And yes, yes I have had a platonic relationship with a few girls...mind you they have not been very touchy:S.
Look, I am defending her actions because I do not think she realizes Eli has feelings for her, and I understand them..just saying:p

Well its hardly a prerequiste just more then an average. Every person is different after all.

Rac80
October 24th, 2009, 06:04 PM
*notes all the chloe-philes defending her....* :P:P I see her as "easy" and scott as "on the make" simple as that..... now discuss :P

jelgate
October 24th, 2009, 06:06 PM
*notes all the chloe-philes defending her....* :P:P I see her as "easy" and scott as "on the make" simple as that..... now discuss :P

Is it really any different then those times you have biasly (I know its not a word) defended Riker in the Star Trek forum? Its just a part of fandon. We defend what we like,

Col.Foley
October 24th, 2009, 06:09 PM
Well its hardly a prerequiste just more then an average. Every person is different after all.
Exactly. Glad we agree :P

He didn't assert his feelings; if he did, her disinterest would been communicated. He interacted with her in a meaningful way by comforting her and I don't see how that connotes to more... to me, it's very cleary friend-zone.
Good point, good point. He is trying to be the good friend to her, and he is probably reciving mixed singals from her in some regards, but that may be more him. But he is trying to get over it and still be everyones friend...I like Eli:)

oh boy:rolleyes:
Yeah you can say that she is easy, I guess. But...that is her choice;)

Col.Foley
October 24th, 2009, 06:09 PM
Is it really any different then those times you have biasly (I know its not a word) defended Riker in the Star Trek forum? Its just a part of fandon. We defend what we like,
:indeed:
True, true.

Arative
October 24th, 2009, 06:16 PM

If he isn't used to being in the friend zone, he'll continue to be there for her hoping that will somehow lead to sex. He'll also be all pissy with Scott. If the writers stay true to reality.

Col.Foley
October 24th, 2009, 06:18 PM
If he isn't used to being in the friend zone, he'll continue to be there for her hoping that will somehow lead to sex. He'll also be all pissy with Scott. If the writers stay true to reality.
I believe the Vulcan IDIC does come in here.:P
Though, you are quite probably right. However, the key to that is if he can move on from that? I imagine that he will be jealous and spiteful at times, but his character has already shown an ability to move on from that and continue to be friendly with the other two characters in question. I mean sure this hurts, sure he is probably very jealouse, but he does not have to show that.

O'Neil
October 24th, 2009, 06:19 PM
I think that is a bit unfair. Well not necessarily unfair, but there are ways of looking at this other then she is simply using Eli.
One is that she is naive. Which is a very real possibility.
And two is that she needs someone to be there for her, no matter what. In the case of the shower and that scene it was Eli, he was there, and she needed him to help with the shower. And did not want to be alone... on a big scary ship millions of light years away from home. That she needs companionship and comfort, she is just lucky enough to get it from two people. One she views as a friend, the other she is attracted to.

When I said that she is using him, I was not meaning on purpose or with evil or bad intentions. I was speaking of using a person without even knowing that you're doing it.

She may not even be thinking about how Eli is perceiving her actions, but since we are sitting back watching from afar, we can see that she is empty and needs a constant reassurance...... from a male figure...... even if it means going through many men.... which is nothing more than using them for security.

Rac80
October 24th, 2009, 06:20 PM

now if scott looked like riker...that might be a different story. ;) all in good fun of course...my hubby will tell you that I griped mightily about Riker's kirking in TNG. :P
I see her as "easy" cause most women I know with discriminating taste will NOT sleep with a guy she has recently met (a few days at most)-- I know the "younger generation" is more casual about hook-ups, but that's neither here nor there, it is still how I view the world.
Scott obviously has issues and needs to exercise some self-control (do NOT start on sexual-addiction!) or things on the ship are going to get really nasty! either a cat-fight, stds running rampant, or pregnancies. (I don't think he has an endless supply of condoms...:P)

dahok
October 24th, 2009, 06:22 PM

Eli kinda was this episode. Scott (and Chloe) just didn't seem to notice it, and it may take a while for it to register to him. Then Eli just sort of cuts him off.

Rewatching the episode I notice the military personnel being productive except for Scott. I wonder if he'll keep sneaking around into compartments for quickies.

Col.Foley
October 24th, 2009, 06:23 PM
When I said that she is using him, I was not meaning on purpose or with evil or bad intentions. I was speaking of using a person without even knowing that you're doing it.

She may not even be thinking about how Eli is perceiving her actions, but since we are sitting back watching from afar, we can see that she is empty and needs a constant reassurance...... from a male figure...... even if it means going through many men.... which is nothing more than using them for security.
I see...man is this forum full of interesting posts for me to digest tonight:P
You do raise a good point though, and this is similar to how I see her. I think she does have the best intentions though and is a very good character, and seems to have some hints of some very real substance within her...but you are right about the male thing, to an extent at least:P

now if scott looked like riker...that might be a different story. ;) all in good fun of course...my hubby will tell you that I griped mightily about Riker's kirking in TNG. :P
I see her as "easy" cause most women I know with discriminating taste will NOT sleep with a guy she has recently met (a few days at most)-- I know the "younger generation" is more casual about hook-ups, but that's neither here nor there, it is still how I view the world.
Scott obviously has issues and needs to exercise some self-control (do NOT start on sexual-addiction!) or things on the ship is going to get really nasty! either a cat-fight, stds running rampant, or pregnancies. (I don't think he has an endless supply of condoms...:P)
If they are consenting who are we to judge?:P

Arative
October 24th, 2009, 06:39 PM
I believe the Vulcan IDIC does come in here.:P
Though, you are quite probably right. However, the key to that is if he can move on from that? I imagine that he will be jealous and spiteful at times, but his character has already shown an ability to move on from that and continue to be friendly with the other two characters in question. I mean sure this hurts, sure he is probably very jealouse, but he does not have to show that.

He can move on it from it but he's got to stop being her go to guy for emotional support. He can even be friendly, just can't get involved. But seeing how this is a show, I don't see that happening.

Basically what I see happening is that Eli will be a dick towards Scott. Chloe will ask what Eli's problem is and he'll go I like you. She'll laugh nervously and say something to the effect "I don't think of you that way, you're like my brother."

So to move on, you either stop talking to her as much and when she tries to talk to him about some problem, he needs to be vague and feign disinterest or he can suck it up bury his feelings and be her friend and never expect anything more.

If you can't tell, I've been friendzoned a time or two;)

Arative
October 24th, 2009, 06:42 PM
Eli kinda was this episode. Scott (and Chloe) just didn't seem to notice it, and it may take a while for it to register to him. Then Eli just sort of cuts him off.

Rewatching the episode I notice the military personnel being productive except for Scott. I wonder if he'll keep sneaking around into compartments for quickies.

Well Scott probably doesn't view Eli as a threat for Chloe and he's right, so that's why he didn't notice it, plus he had just had sex with her, so it didn't really matter what Eli said.

Chloe is probably oblivious to Eli's affection, most younger women are to some extent. It won't be until Eli confesses his feelings or makes a move that she'll realize it.

Col.Foley
October 24th, 2009, 06:43 PM
He can move on it from it but he's got to stop being her go to guy for emotional support. He can even be friendly, just can't get involved. But seeing how this is a show, I don't see that happening.

Basically what I see happening is that Eli will be a dick towards Scott. Chloe will ask what Eli's problem is and he'll go I like you. She'll laugh nervously and say something to the effect "I don't think of you that way, you're like my brother."

So to move on, you either stop talking to her as much and when she tries to talk to him about some problem, he needs to be vague and feign disinterest or he can suck it up bury his feelings and be her friend and never expect anything more.

If you can't tell, I've been friendzoned a time or two;)
Yeah me two:P.
I do not see how you can not be both though. I mean I know it is a very slippery slope...especially given his and their feelings. But it is possible that is exactly what will happen...his love for her will be a lot more brotherly then anything. WHo knows? maybe. that he can still have his feelings for her, and even have them be known by her in an extent, and yet keep up the friendship with her that he is growing. It is possible in my experience for this to happen, and if you ask me that is one of the true tests if you really love someone, though how painful it obviously will be for him for a long while. He'll accept it and move on, or it will destroy him.

Col.Foley
October 24th, 2009, 06:44 PM
Well Scott probably doesn't view Eli as a threat for Chloe and he's right, so that's why he didn't notice it, plus he had just had sex with her, so it didn't really matter what Eli said.

Chloe is probably oblivious to Eli's affection, most younger women are to some extent. It won't be until Eli confesses his feelings or makes a move that she'll realize it.
Now this I am familiar with, the obliviousness of women to how you feel until you have to spell it out for them:P

Jeff-B
October 24th, 2009, 06:48 PM
Eli is definitely hurt by this. He was obviously trying to flirt with her from the first time he met her on the Hammond. As much as I would have liked to see the geek get the girl( although it's not over yet), maybe this experience will harden his character just enough to be a real foil to Dr. Rush. So far Young and everyone else has been stuck with just taking Rush's word for everything about the ship. Maybe this will drive Eli to take things more seriously, like learning more about the technology. In real life, I know of many guys hurt in a similar fashion that end up burying themselves in their work to deal with it.

wargrafix
October 24th, 2009, 06:49 PM
Now this I am familiar with, the obliviousness of women to how you feel until you have to spell it out for them:P

They know you feel. Its just they want to hear you say. it.

I have a feeling Eli's love interest may not even come from the crew member. may even be an alien.

Col.Foley
October 24th, 2009, 06:50 PM
Eli is definitely hurt by this. He was obviously trying to flirt with her from the first time he met her on the Hammond. As much as I would have liked to see the geek get the girl( although it's not over yet), maybe this experience will harden his character just enough to be a real foil to Dr. Rush. So far Young and everyone else has been stuck with just taking Rush's word for everything about the ship. Maybe this will drive Eli to take things more seriously, like learning more about the technology. In real life, I know of many guys hurt in a similar fashion that end up burying themselves in their work to deal with it.
We have seen this in a sense, he was able to stand up to Rush and provide the solution that saved the lives of everyone on the shuttle.

Col.Foley
October 24th, 2009, 06:51 PM
They know you feel. Its just they want to hear you say. it.

I have a feeling Eli's love interest may not even come from the crew member. may even be an alien.
that could be too:P. Its quite possible actually

Oh joys he is going to be the Harry Kim of the Destiny:P

Arative
October 24th, 2009, 06:55 PM
Yeah me two:P.
I do not see how you can not be both though. I mean I know it is a very slippery slope...especially given his and their feelings. But it is possible that is exactly what will happen...his love for her will be a lot more brotherly then anything. WHo knows? maybe. that he can still have his feelings for her, and even have them be known by her in an extent, and yet keep up the friendship with her that he is growing. It is possible in my experience for this to happen, and if you ask me that is one of the true tests if you really love someone, though how painful it obviously will be for him for a long while. He'll accept it and move on, or it will destroy him.

It certainly is possible for someone to remain friends with a girl that has friendzoned him. Its hard for a while but the sooner he realizes that he'll never be anything more than a friend, the easier it will be.

Radahldo
October 24th, 2009, 06:59 PM
Yeah, obliviousness. She isn't fully aware of the connotes of some of thing she's allowed Eli to do in her presence. What stands out to me is his surprise at how all the personale and crew gathered to view the blue planet; to me, that demonstrated his preoccupation with constructing a romantic scene for Chole.
Another problem with friend-zoners is not reacting to things like this. She didn't see the romance there and Eli did not perceive the disparity between their impressions.

Col.Foley
October 24th, 2009, 07:00 PM
It certainly is possible for someone to remain friends with a girl that has friendzoned him. Its hard for a while but the sooner he realizes that he'll never be anything more than a friend, the easier it will be.
:indeed: Which is sad in its own right...of course she may come around eventually Scott might act like a jerk...etc.
I pity him though, if that were to happen there is no fire in hell like a geeky fan boy in love scorned:p

wargrafix
October 24th, 2009, 07:04 PM

ROFL! Awesome!

Actually his character feels jealousy like every normal person and he isn't above making a snide comment. But his ability to tell the unbridled truth ad left handed humor can keep the series interesting.

There are people who will hate me for saying this but, chloe puts herself as a dummy simply because she has no tact or discretion in how to present herself. Take for instance, when her mom was talking to the officer, she was supposed to stay silent and observe. Her mom knows how washinton works and she is supposed to learn from her. Especially if she wants to pursue the line of work.

Arative
October 24th, 2009, 07:08 PM
:indeed: Which is sad in its own right...of course she may come around eventually Scott might act like a jerk...etc.
I pity him though, if that were to happen there is no fire in hell like a geeky fan boy in love scorned:p

Well once you've been friendzoned, its nearly impossible to transition to something more. Its possible but not for Eli because he is a geek, he doesn't have the social skills to do that transition but then this is TV, so you never know.

Col.Foley
October 24th, 2009, 07:08 PM
ROFL! Awesome!

Actually his character feels jealousy like every normal person and he isn't above making a snide comment. But his ability to tell the unbridled truth ad left handed humor can keep the series interesting.

There are people who will hate me for saying this but, chloe puts herself as a dummy simply because she has no tact or discretion in how to present herself. Take for instance, when her mom was talking to the officer, she was supposed to stay silent and observe. Her mom knows how washinton works and she is supposed to learn from her. Especially if she wants to pursue the line of work.
But her mom was out of line, true we can understand why she was out of line (I do certainly) but she was still out of line and not a very good role model the way I am remembering the scene.
And yeah, he will always...if he continues having feelings...be a little jealous of Scott...it will be how he shows that jealousy, and acts around Scott regardless that will determine his character.

Col.Foley
October 24th, 2009, 07:09 PM
Well once you've been friendzoned, its nearly impossible to transition to something more. Its possible but not for Eli because he is a geek, he doesn't have the social skills to do that transition but then this is TV, so you never know.
you are probably right, I have not been through it enough to know if you can move on from that point to something more eventually.

Commander Zelix
October 24th, 2009, 07:10 PM
Friendzoned, thats the word I was looking for in my review. I like it. :)

Arative
October 24th, 2009, 07:16 PM
you are probably right, I have not been through it enough to know if you can move on from that point to something more eventually.

It depends on how good your game is I guess.

Col.Foley
October 24th, 2009, 07:19 PM
We are getting into some really uncertain territory:P

Whitering
October 24th, 2009, 07:20 PM
If your game is good you rarely end up there in the first place. I have girl friends I have just been stringing along for a long time now, you don't need to have sex with them to keep them out of the dreaded "friend zone" but you can't allow them to see you as the equivalent of a comfy chair to sit in either.

Umm, that had nothing to do with SGU, sorry, I am done with this topic I guess lol

Radahldo
October 24th, 2009, 07:21 PM
I don't think Eli has the machismo. It's important to not simplify her as an obstacle before happiness, or an object to be won. His feelings and personality may just be incompatible. No matter how much he tries, rejection can be handed out as capriciously as originally perceived. It's really hard to accept that.

wargrafix
October 24th, 2009, 07:27 PM
But her mom was out of line, true we can understand why she was out of line (I do certainly) but she was still out of line and not a very good role model the way I am remembering the scene.
And yeah, he will always...if he continues having feelings...be a little jealous of Scott...it will be how he shows that jealousy, and acts around Scott regardless that will determine his character.

I disagree. The military failed in their responsibility. She may have but under the influence, but its clear the military had too much leeway in how they conducted business.

When it counted he was dependable and think clearly. That is the mark of a man. He just might take a while to get used to it, but there will be tension.

Radahldo
October 24th, 2009, 07:34 PM
Although we are projecting a tiny bit, this tangent is really clearing up my expectations of Eli's character.

jelgate
October 24th, 2009, 07:38 PM
Although we are projecting a tiny bit, this tangent is really clearing up my expectations of Eli's character.

Fandom is nothing if not consistent.:P

Ouroboros
October 24th, 2009, 08:18 PM
Ok, here is it.....

This is exactly the impression I got as well. She'll use Scott for sex because Scott is more physically attractive than Eli, she'll use Eli for emotional support because he's more sensitive than Scott. In both cases it's just about her meeting her own needs and while this is also likely true in Scott's case it's not with Eli. The poor fool actually likes her on an emotional level.

It is virtually inevitable that Eli will eventually win her over in the end though. It's obvious that they're setting up a whole Niles and Daphne type thing that they'll drag out for the sake of angst for however long then finally put the two of them together.

I agree with the posters that said he deserves better though. She's a much better fit with the space pilot who doesn't know what a slingshot maneuver is, but he's already got James so she's really just bonus sex to him.

wargrafix
October 24th, 2009, 08:27 PM
most likely james will have sex with Eli just to get back at Scott since he dropped he like a hot potato.

Cold Fuzz
October 24th, 2009, 09:53 PM
most likely james will have sex with Eli just to get back at Scott since he dropped he like a hot potato.

...and thus completing the dreaded Quadrangle of Doom--at least that's the term I saw being thrown around a few weeks ago. It's interesting how people's relationships and sex lives can somehow be reduced to a polygon. What a pickle of a paradigm.

Col.Foley
October 24th, 2009, 09:59 PM
I disagree. The military failed in their responsibility. She may have but under the influence, but its clear the military had too much leeway in how they conducted business.

When it counted he was dependable and think clearly. That is the mark of a man. He just might take a while to get used to it, but there will be tension.
it is a military opearation, and they did not do anything wrong, if you are looking for someone to blame, blame the guy who dialed the Destiny instead of doing the smart thing. Granted that is just as irrational, but that is the point, it is no ones fault.

...and thus completing the dreaded Quadrangle of Doom--at least that's the term I saw being thrown around a few weeks ago. It's interesting how people's relationships and sex lives can somehow be reduced to a polygon. What a pickle of a paradigm.
*snort*
Awesome:D

Cold Fuzz
October 24th, 2009, 10:02 PM
*snort*
Awesome:D

Thanks! :D I was considering: A pickly polygonal paradigm. I know, I know--going too far. :P

Eternal Density
October 24th, 2009, 10:19 PM
I thought Chloe yelled for Eli when the lights went out because she blamed him and thought he was pulling some kind of prank.
Eli could be worse off: he could have no friends. At least Chloe still hangs out with him.

Col.Foley
October 24th, 2009, 10:20 PM
I thought Chloe yelled for Eli when the lights went out because she blamed him and thought he was pulling some kind of prank.
Eli could be worse off: he could have no friends. At least Chloe still hangs out with him.
Which makes her awesome

Descended
October 24th, 2009, 10:57 PM

Makes me wonder whether Eli would stick his hand in that gate and hold it open for Scott now.

Might be interesting if he did something in the future to kinda eliminate his rival... nothing too drastic - but to quote Batman from Batman Returns - "I'm not going to kill you, but I don't have to save you either."

Ouroboros
October 24th, 2009, 11:12 PM

I'd just hang out with Rush. He's cool in a crazy old man sort of way and any idiot could tell that if **** does hit the fan he's totally going to be the one left standing. Being young and studly doesn't help when somebody hits a button and explosively decompresses your living quarters.:D

Radahldo
October 25th, 2009, 12:40 AM
Makes me wonder whether Eli would stick his hand in that gate and hold it open for Scott now.

Might be interesting if he did something in the future to kinda eliminate his rival... nothing too drastic - but to quote Batman from Batman Returns - "I'm not going to kill you, but I don't have to save you either."

He held that open for Greer.

I find it likely that Eli will have more situations like the situation where Greer pulled the rifle on Rush. (in the pilot)

Eli wouldn't concede his ignorance which would've defused the siuation; instead, Scott had to reel Greer in, who believed Eli about the life support systems.
I can see Eli raising alarms like again with Greer, James and others as a vicarious defiance to Scott's authority.

bobsuncorp
October 25th, 2009, 12:41 AM
I'm now hoping Eli will hook up with that scientist chick who is afraid of earthquakes. She is hot in a Librarian kind of way (Mckay).

My take on it is that now that they are not going to die, she is going to realise that sleeping with Scott was a mistake because he will act like a jerk. Purely because he is a complicated and self loathing person but she will feel rejected. She will then run to Eli who will be nice because he has a terminal case of NGS. Scott will then get over himself enough to redeem himself to her and the cycle will repeat.

Oh and the whole time she will be complaining to Eli about Scott and then running back to him. Don't you just love it when they do that?

pipi
October 25th, 2009, 03:26 AM
Scott is the new Adam, may SGU babies be plentiful. hahaha

tar21
October 25th, 2009, 04:08 AM
Eli is already making friends. He is the "NEW" guy. A lot of the people on the ship have been working together for years. Chloe befriended him first because they were both new. Eli is very outgoing, he's not shy at all. He was taping the whole crew on the Kino, you know. Everyone knows who he is already and feel comfortable around him. Remember, they pulled him aside to learn what Rush and Young were planning.

I don't want this show sexed up too much. I mean, come on. Chloe is easy as hell man. And she's clingy on Eli while doing Scott? Chloe and James are gonna fight over Scott, Eli will be busy with something else.

Anyhow, seeing the Eli is nerd boy and may become nerd messiah... come on, you know they all become nerd messiah... cough cough Daniel Jackson and Rodney McKay. I say he lands the hottest alien chick in outerspace, like some murderous but sweet space princess or queen. He may pull a McKay and land himself EMT girl, TJ. Young is probably her older half brother, 'cause even though Young and TJ seem to be close, Young seems to be hung up on his wife and TJ seems to treat him like her uncle or brother. And Young seems to like nerd boy.

Chloe and Eli? Nah... too sloppy of a love triangle storyline for a nerd boy having to eventually confront Dr Frankenstein and Super Captain.

Radahldo
October 25th, 2009, 04:57 AM
You perceive TJ as treating Young like her uncle?

tar21
October 25th, 2009, 05:29 AM
You perceive TJ as treating Young like her uncle?

Sure, why not?

Anyhow, i'd rather not see SGU become the love boat. I mean come on, getting off to a bad start here.

You gonna half the whole ship breeding with no food, water, birth control etc?

jrd231
October 25th, 2009, 05:34 AM
This was my worst nightmare with his show. I can't believe the writers couldn't have been more creative than to create a cliche and overused love triangle between the bot chick, the jock, and the geek. This angle is tired. It's pathetic that they have resorted to this.

MattSilver 3k
October 25th, 2009, 05:37 AM
This was my worst nightmare with his show. I can't believe the writers couldn't have been more creative than to create a cliche and overused love triangle between the bot chick, the jock, and the geek. This angle is tired. It's pathetic that they have resorted to this.

Chloe's a cylon?

Arica15
October 25th, 2009, 06:05 AM

Yes and what's the betting that it will have the same resolution as last time......chick goes for jock initially but ultimately sees the true value of geek and chooses him.........:rolleyes:

Marty Sue rides again!!!!!!!

Rac80
October 25th, 2009, 06:14 AM

LOL as long as he doesn't get pregnant like Trip of ent did. :P

depends on if Martin Gero is writing the ep. :P

*smiles--- coined Quadrangle of Doom* I love your pickly comments. what can I say... i used to watch soaps...as soon as there was the-supply-closet-sex, I knew the romance was going to worthy of the finest soap. :P

Sure, why not?

Anyhow, i'd rather not see SGU become the love boat. I mean come on, getting off to a bad start here.

:lol: thanks for another laugh. I love the turn of phrase you use.

Arica15
October 25th, 2009, 06:17 AM
Sure, why not?

Hmm perhaps the title of the next episode refers to the bucket of water Young will be needing to keep control of the younger characters?

Trelak
October 25th, 2009, 06:56 AM
Eli will eventualy save the day and then she'll be interested in him, i can ony hope he tells her to bugger off and get that hot James charachter :p

gravityStar
October 25th, 2009, 06:57 AM

Eli should have been with the "fun" people playing some poker. :D Time much better spent IMHO.

BrianD
October 25th, 2009, 07:34 AM
The Bro Code contains a rule that Thou Shall Not<do not be crude, this is a PG forum> a Brother. Lt Scott apparently is only out for himself by doing that to Eli. I'm disappointed in Scott's behavior like I am in the SGU writing that's occurred the last few weeks. Eli's a good guy he tried to be rude in the one scene but it's clearly not in his nature which is why he still comforts Chloe in times of need.

YutheGreat
October 25th, 2009, 07:39 AM
You know this kind of ruins Eli/Chloe. Near the end of the episode I hope Scott was left on the planet to freeze his nuts until they fall off.

Jeff-B
October 25th, 2009, 08:22 AM
Eli is already making friends. He is the "NEW" guy. A lot of the people on the ship have been working together for years. Chloe befriended him first because they were both new. Eli is very outgoing, he's not shy at all. He was taping the whole crew on the Kino, you know. Everyone knows who he is already and feel comfortable around him. Remember, they pulled him aside to learn what Rush and Young were planning.

I don't want this show sexed up too much. I mean, come on. Chloe is easy as hell man. And she's clingy on Eli while doing Scott? Chloe and James are gonna fight over Scott, Eli will be busy with something else.

Anyhow, seeing the Eli is nerd boy and may become nerd messiah... come on, you know they all become nerd messiah... cough cough Daniel Jackson and Rodney McKay. I say he lands the hottest alien chick in outerspace, like some murderous but sweet space princess or queen. He may pull a McKay and land himself EMT girl, TJ. Young is probably her older half brother, 'cause even though Young and TJ seem to be close, Young seems to be hung up on his wife and TJ seems to treat him like her uncle or brother. And Young seems to like nerd boy.

Chloe and Eli? Nah... too sloppy of a love triangle storyline for a nerd boy having to eventually confront Dr Frankenstein and Super Captain.

I'm beginning to think everyone's reading too much into the Scott/James "scene" back in "Air". Or the lack of a relationship, IMO. Notice there's been little to no contact between them since, and it doesn't seem to bother her much. Hope this is a PG term, but think "booty call".

O'Neil
October 25th, 2009, 10:14 AM
I'd just hang out with Rush. He's cool in a crazy old man sort of way and any idiot could tell that if **** does hit the fan he's totally going to be the one left standing. Being young and studly doesn't help when somebody hits a button and explosively decompresses your living quarters.:D

I completely agree.

If it were me, and I was stranded on an ancient ship on the other side of the universe, I would not be following some girl.

I know that Rush is hated, and no one likes working with him, but I like his attitude and the way he handled situations. I'de be hanging with him.

The military crowd has way too much anger going on....

The scientists/civilians are on the verge of a mutiny....

Yeah, if Eli is smart, he'll stick with Rush.

jrd231
October 25th, 2009, 10:18 AM
Yes and what's the betting that it will have the same resolution as last time......chick goes for jock initially but ultimately sees the true value of geek and chooses him.........:rolleyes:

Marty Sue rides again!!!!!!!

Of course. It's cookie cutter.

Infinite-Possibilities
October 25th, 2009, 02:23 PM
Sure, why not?

Hah! Somebody's got to make an video of that now.

Col.Foley
October 25th, 2009, 02:27 PM
LOL as long as he doesn't get pregnant like Trip of ent did. :P

depends on if Martin Gero is writing the ep. :P

*smiles--- coined Quadrangle of Doom* I love your pickly comments. what can I say... i used to watch soaps...as soon as there was the-supply-closet-sex, I knew the romance was going to worthy of the finest soap. :P

:lol: thanks for another laugh. I love the turn of phrase you use.
I can hear all the sci fi jokes that he will be making about himself in that situation:P

tar21
October 25th, 2009, 03:53 PM
Rush is a mad super genius. Eli is the only one that Rush considers an intellectual equal, sort of. Even though Eli is a dropout and a flake, the circumstances are going to make him change.

Rush sees all the other scientists onboard as educated but stupid. He sees Eli as intelligent.

Anyhow, Chloe is not smart enough or exotic enough for a science fiction nerd hero. The nerdy hero always get the alien slave princess, the queen of death bad girl, or a somewhat nerdy girl.

Why has the chubby nerd character have his screen time spent in some sloppy love triangle with a jock, a ditz, and some other when he can be talking down to gods, Colonel Odysseus, and a mad scientist with ulterior motives? Why oh why?

Give him the exotic murderous princess, TJ, the ships android nanite construct, etc, etc.

Aurora24
October 25th, 2009, 04:26 PM
I felt really bad for Eli too. I mean in Darkness Chloe is spending all this time with Eli, and acting like she cares about him, then when she thinks that she's going to die she runs off and sleeps with Scott. I mean I know Scott comforted her after her father died, but I didn't see any evidence of them having some type of close relationship. She seems to see Eli as the friend that can get her access to all the technological stuff aboard the ships (the first thing she asked him was to show her how the showers worked). If she's not just using him I think she should be more honest about wanting to just be friends with him to avoid hurting his feelings.

Still at least Eli has the respect of Rush and the rest of the crew after figuring out how to get the shuttle safely docked. At least he has friends even if he doesn't get the girl.

YutheGreat
October 25th, 2009, 04:46 PM
Rush is a mad super genius. Eli is the only one that Rush considers an intellectual equal, sort of. Even though Eli is a dropout and a flake, the circumstances are going to make him change.

Rush sees all the other scientists onboard as educated but stupid. He sees Eli as intelligent.

Anyhow, Chloe is not smart enough or exotic enough for a science fiction nerd hero. The nerdy hero always get the alien slave princess, the queen of death bad girl, or a somewhat nerdy girl.

Why has the chubby nerd character have his screen time spent in some sloppy love triangle with a jock, a ditz, and some other when he can be talking down to gods, Colonel Odysseus, and a mad scientist with ulterior motives? Why oh why?

Give him the exotic murderous princess, TJ, the ships android nanite construct, etc, etc.

TJ would eat him alive.

Encoder
October 25th, 2009, 07:04 PM
Eli got owned I'm sorry, but to make matters worse, he's sitting there with Chloe in the end holding her hand and when the shuttle hits, she drops him AGAIN!?!?!?!?!?!

Eli must be p*ssed!

*Friend zone or what*

:sheppard:

Eternal Density
October 25th, 2009, 07:05 PM
Why should Eli think Chloe owes him anything?

Ice Wolf
October 25th, 2009, 07:13 PM
Cause he showed her the showers, had he not done that Scott would never have touched her stink. ;)

Eli is almost certainly going to get her in the end though, tptb haven't met a cliche that they didn't like.

Scott will get the Exotic/Alien/Enemy woman if and when it shows up.

Eternal Density
October 25th, 2009, 07:27 PM
Lieutenant Rosegarden never got a shower... erk!

Radahldo
October 25th, 2009, 07:30 PM
I think Young mentioned that Rosegarden showered.

Saquist
October 25th, 2009, 07:37 PM

Eli, is naive and foolish to dedicate his feelings to this girl.
Never invest more emotion than you can afford to l in a relationship and never invest in a relationship that doesn't exist.

creed462
October 25th, 2009, 07:44 PM
When I saw the scene I was poor Eli, I've been there to many times

the fifth man
October 25th, 2009, 07:45 PM
Eli will end up ok in the end.

Eternal Density
October 25th, 2009, 07:45 PM
I think Young mentioned that Rosegarden showered.That was after the power came back on. Because the showers turned off with everything else. Therefore, when he was in the shuttle he hadn't showered. That makes winning the shuttle lottery seem even less fortunate.

GateroomGuard
October 25th, 2009, 07:50 PM
That was after the power came back on. Because the showers turned off with everything else. Therefore, when he was in the shuttle he hadn't showered. That makes winning the shuttle lottery seem even less fortunate.

Maybe thats why James seemed a little concerned that she'd been chosen and why Riley looked so sad when he got chosen. ;)

Eli strikes me as the guy who will find a girl only for her to die tragically.

Radahldo
October 25th, 2009, 07:54 PM
Oh, wow.. That is repulsive.

Radz
October 25th, 2009, 08:08 PM
I feel sorry for Eli, but I see things going his way eventually. One of the Kino shorts online kinda alludes to this since someone references Scott's "girlfriend" to which he answers Chloe...of course they referenced James of course. I see Chloe finding out and they end up in a serious mess.

Eternal Density
October 25th, 2009, 08:47 PM
Maybe thats why James seemed a little concerned that she'd been chosen and why Riley looked so sad when he got chosen. ;)

Eli strikes me as the guy who will find a girl only for her to die tragically.Seems about right about Eli. But given that Scott was already in the shuttle there's no way of knowing whether anyone smelled him until they entered the shuttle. Or maybe he had some cologne or something to try masking it. I'll need to watch Vanessa's expressions in the shuttle more closely...

I see Chloe finding out and they end up in a serious mess.That could be a fun serious mess!

MattSilver 3k
October 25th, 2009, 08:56 PM
Eli will end up ok in the end.

Sappy sentiment, but I hope the same.

Eternal Density
October 25th, 2009, 09:02 PM
My bet is that Eli will be a virgin at the end. (As will a certain poster who's name I'll keep to myself.)

MattSilver 3k
October 26th, 2009, 01:06 AM
My bet is that Eli will be a virgin at the end. (As will a certain poster who's name I'll keep to myself.)

Was it ever said Eli was still a virgin? I mean, he's mid-twenties and not that unattractive (From a guy's perspective)... On second thought, if he was a virgin, it probably would've come up right? Like, he would've made a joke about it somewhere along the way...

I'd rather not have an episode down the track centring around Eli's virginity.

Duneknight
October 26th, 2009, 02:42 AM
you guys like to think that eli is in love with her. he just got a crush, any "math boy" will fall for her anyway especially considering the fact that he will never ehm ehm with a girl again unless he gets chloe. its funny how scott already slept with two girls in 5 episodes.

pipi
October 26th, 2009, 04:02 AM
I guess if he's really desperate, Eli can use the replay from the Kinos as soft porn. hahaha

Eternal Density
October 26th, 2009, 04:20 AM
Was it ever said Eli was still a virgin?Someone joked about it some time in the last day or so. I guess I should have added more smileys :P
Still, it's possible for someone to not be unattractive and yet not be in the right place at the right time to happen to meet anyone interested in them.

mrshorty
October 26th, 2009, 04:32 AM
I find the large amount of people having constant fixation on 'who gets to win Chloe' disturbing. Reminds me of high school chitchat on who gets to hook up with the popular girl.

Universe (no pun intended) is such an indefinitely big place, and it is only been the fifth episode. I certainly hope Eli does get over it and not go emo for the rest of the season(s).

Besides, as per nature of any TV shows, there will be new characters introduce into the story as the plot progresses - come on now, you don't HONESTLY believe Chloe is going to be the only romantic interest for the young protagonist(s) for the rest of the show right?

YutheGreat
October 26th, 2009, 06:58 AM
I am hoping for a scene like this:

Chloe:"Eli, I'm sorry I was wrong" Tears filling her eyes

Eli: Sorry but now that we are back on Earth TJ, Ming Na, Andromeda, Seven of nine wants to invite me to a party tonight see you later...

Nemises
October 26th, 2009, 10:35 AM
she's paris hilton in disguise.

wargrafix
October 26th, 2009, 10:43 AM

hahahahahah...good one! Green is in your future.

Scott is a bit of a moron. He is always short sighted and weak from Air. The Kino situation shows how lame he is.

YutheGreat
October 26th, 2009, 04:36 PM

Haha I guess that is what she is supposed to do on the show.

DarkAsgard
October 27th, 2009, 05:06 AM
Eli was the typical passive geek who lost the girl to a jock. hahahaha. History always repeat. Since he's got so much free time playing with his Kino, maybe he should get in shape for a few minutes a day. Start with pushups!

True, but if the typical geek/jock cycle continues, the jock will end up old, fat and balding marrying the first girl he knocked up, while the geek moves on the bigger and richer things (case in point ....Bill Gates)!

Eli, Rush and Young are the only characters that bring me back to this show week after week. Without them this show we devolve into series about young attractive people fighting and hooking up.....if I wanna watch that kind of garbage I get into the Twilight series.

Arga
October 27th, 2009, 02:28 PM

In real life, maybe. But this is a tv series, where the characters just do what the writers decide, (logical or illogical things).

And knowing that R.C. Cooper is "in charge", we have to expect sexual references all the time.

YutheGreat
October 27th, 2009, 07:33 PM
Perhaps but after that little quickie they haven't been talking about it have they? Its like it never happened Kind of like a one night stand.

Radahldo
October 27th, 2009, 07:39 PM
Perhaps but after that little quickie they haven't been talking about it have they? Its like it never happened Kind of like a one night stand.

In the kino vid when TJ says "Eli spied on your girlfriend" Scott's mind goes straight to Chole, not Vanessa. I think from that we are to derive that it wasn't a one night stand and nothing in the Scott and Vanesa's recent behavior contradicts that idea.

Eternal Density
October 27th, 2009, 07:44 PM
Perhaps but after that little quickie they haven't been talking about it have they? Its like it never happened Kind of like a one night stand.a) There hasn't been much opportunity yet, we'll see in the next episode. b) Who knows what they're talking about here: http://stargate.mgm.com/view/content/1714/embed_vid/1022/index.html

Lightning Ducj
October 27th, 2009, 09:31 PM
Yeah, the one part that really has irritated me about the whole story arc is Scott and Chloe getting together with James still on the ship and Eli seeming to be getting along well with Chloe. The Scott/Chloe hookup just seemed too quick and contrived, and fairly mean-spirited to James and Eli

spinny magee
October 27th, 2009, 09:36 PM
Hopefully Chloe decides to eventually bugger off..unlikely but all I can do is hope for Eli's sake.

Encoder
October 27th, 2009, 09:52 PM
Yeah, the one part that really has irritated me about the whole story arc is Scott and Chloe getting together with James still on the ship and Eli seeming to be getting along well with Chloe. The Scott/Chloe hookup just seemed too quick and contrived, and fairly mean-spirited to James and Eli

James is the type of girl who'd hook up with Eli just to spite Scott I reckon!

Lightning Ducj
October 27th, 2009, 09:53 PM
James is the type of girl who'd hook up with Eli just to spite Scott I reckon!

Even efter the Kino incident?

Cold Fuzz
October 27th, 2009, 09:56 PM

I think it would depend on who she's more pissed off at, Eli for spying on her with the Kino, or Scott for deciding to hook up with Chloe.

Lightning Ducj
October 27th, 2009, 09:59 PM
I think it would depend on who she's more pissed off at, Eli for spying on her with the Kino, or Scott for deciding to hook up with Chloe.

True :) And I could almost seem James with an attitude of "OK, boy, you like to peek but can you really handle me?"

Encoder
October 27th, 2009, 10:04 PM

I'm no woman, but I do believe that some women find that a turn on, so either she'll be used to it happening (ie. guys perving on her for obvious reasons) and be used to dealing with is (so it's no big deal for her), or she'll actually kick their asses :P

Cold Fuzz
October 27th, 2009, 10:05 PM
True :) And I could almost seem James with an attitude of "OK, boy, you like to peek but can you really handle me?"

:jack_new_anime07:

Very accurate insight! :D I think that James very much does have that kind of attitude about her. I get the feeling that she views someone like Eli (perhaps because he's not military) as a "boy" but someone like Scott as a "man." Hmm...

I suppose she wouldn't necessarily have a problem with Riley since he is a sergeant/senior airman/whatever. But then again she seemed pretty irked with him too.

Lightning Ducj
October 27th, 2009, 10:05 PM
I'm no woman, but I do believe that some women find that a turn on, so either she'll be used to it happening (ie. guys perving on her for obvious reasons) and be used to dealing with is (so it's no big deal for her), or she'll actually kick their asses :P

I vote 'b'

Cold Fuzz
October 27th, 2009, 10:11 PM

Man, one of the rangers I work with (she was actually on duty today, too) is very much like James. I can tell you right now that if Eli did that to her, he better run for cover. She'd eat him for breakfast--and demand seconds while we all freak out! :o

Eternal Density
October 27th, 2009, 11:23 PM
Vanessa could totally own Eli if she wanted to. And she knows it. And if Rush gets up to sneaky stuff only Eli knows about, she may need to.

MattSilver 3k
October 28th, 2009, 12:51 AM
Vanessa could totally own Eli if she wanted to. And she knows it. And if Rush gets up to sneaky stuff only Eli knows about, she may need to.

I have to wonder with Eli being owned by James, who'd beat the everliving snot out of Rush? I think Chloe's got first dibs!

Or maybe James could kick both their asses at the same time...

Eternal Density
October 28th, 2009, 12:53 AM
I have to wonder with Eli being whipped by JamesNOT literally. Never literally.

Sgt Detritus
October 28th, 2009, 12:15 PM
Eli must know that there is no way on Earth that a girl like Chloe would ever go for a guy like him

Arga
October 28th, 2009, 02:19 PM
Eli must know that there is no way on Earth that a girl like Chloe would ever go for a guy like him

if it was on Earth, he would be certain; but on this ship, he had obviously a little hope, because Chloe didn't ignore him; now, he must have realised how silly his assumption was.

Sgt Detritus
October 29th, 2009, 03:42 AM
if it was on Earth, he would be certain; but on this ship, he had obviously a little hope, because Chloe didn't ignore him; now, he must have realised how silly his assumption was.

Well he is a nerd/geek and guys like that have little or no social skills or knowledge of the ways of the world. Trust me I know as I'm one myself :)

Starrtom
October 29th, 2009, 05:20 PM
Well he is a nerd/geek and guys like that have little or no social skills or knowledge of the ways of the world. Trust me I know as I'm one myself :)

I like your honisty, I bet you end up with a glam one day:)

Eternal Density
October 29th, 2009, 05:28 PM
Well he is a nerd/geek and guys like that have little or no social skills or knowledge of the ways of the world. Trust me I know as I'm one myself :)The world has ways?
This is news to me ;)

SupremeLegate
October 30th, 2009, 07:25 AM

I'm one too, but that comment still seems a tad harsh. I prefer to think that he has a chance with Chloe, once the Chloe/Scott thing has run its course.

Brain_Child
October 30th, 2009, 07:41 AM

there is a fine line between nerd and geek. i feel to be called a geek is a compliment, it means im part of sci fi communities and other geeky stuff like computers. to be called a nerd more of an insult, i think of nerds as people that just study all day never leave the house. at least geeks socialize with other geeks

anyway, I think you guys are underestimating Eli.

how many of you would have found the random hot chick in the room and asked to sit with her? and the conversation wasnt exactly awkward from then on.

socially there isnt anything wrong with Eli, and I'm at a loss as to why some of you think he does have social impediments

Girlbot
October 30th, 2009, 08:15 AM
I really like Eli. I find his innocent demeanor and shyness around girls very refreshing, unlike guys who think they are god's gift to women. He has brains and doesn't show arrogance because of it. while everyone else is whining or getting angry, he has been amazingly adaptable to all the situations, and kept his cool under pressure, and he is going about the business of finding all the goodies and tech that the Destiny has to offer. I would enjoy spending time with him and exploring the wonders of the ship. I love his humor, the Planet of the Apes thing cut the tension of the situation for me. I tend to handle tough things with humor also. I hope they keep him the genius wide eyed innocent that he is. He should get Chloe. He appreciates her.

TheLastAncient
October 30th, 2009, 01:00 PM
Ely, yes. You feel bad now once you've realized that Chloe had jotted you down in her friend list. But you know what, you are a better guy than that anyway and another woman (a real woman, like Johansen ... yummy) will recognize your true talent. I am sure later on in the season, you two may bump heads at some point and get romantically involved even though she's 8 or 10 years older. Chloe is just another confused, young lady that really doesn't recognize true talent.

reddevil18
October 30th, 2009, 01:06 PM
Yeah. He has two perfectly fine hands anyway...

IcarusAbides
October 30th, 2009, 01:08 PM
Ely, yes. You feel bad now once you've realized that Chloe had jotted you down in her friend list. But you know what, you are a better guy than that anyway and another woman (a real woman, like Johansen ... yummy) will recognize your true talent. I am sure later on in the season, you two may bump heads at some point and get romantically involved even though she's 8 or 10 years older. Chloe is just another confused, young lady that really doesn't recognize true talent.
I don't see TJ and Eli happening to be honest, Chloe will come round in the end when Scott finds his next conquest.

Coronach
October 30th, 2009, 01:22 PM
I'm so glad someone finally made a thread about this, as I haven't seen anything relating to Eli and Chloe anywhere else. Thank you!! :D

TheRandomOne
October 30th, 2009, 01:23 PM
**** Chloe Eli should say hell no Will Smith style if Chloe does come around. I want Chloe to end up alone for this stupid ass triangle

mlarke
October 30th, 2009, 01:32 PM
I agree, send that broad to the curb. You're far too good for her Eli. With any luck at all he will get some random tail and be relatively happy. Hopefully some of the women will get so depressed at the situation they're in that they will "go for one last roll in the hay," with him. Which I can totally identify with because I am a husky math whiz too.

Well not a math whiz, but I have the husky part down pat. Think about it ladies.....

IcarusAbides
October 30th, 2009, 01:33 PM
I'm so glad someone finally made a thread about this, as I haven't seen anything relating to Eli and Chloe anywhere else. Thank you!! :D
I sense sarcasm is about.;)

Linda06
October 30th, 2009, 01:33 PM
I like Eli, he's a nice guy. If it was me I'd choose Eli over Scott any day of the week. Eli has a sense of humour though he needs to work on it a bit ;) But I like a guy with a sense of humour :D

Replicator Todd
October 30th, 2009, 01:42 PM
Eli will prevail in the end!

Coronach
October 30th, 2009, 01:46 PM
I sense sarcasm is about.;)

Whatever gave you that idea? ;)

I am a bit tired of all of the Chloe hate simply because some fans feel there was something legitimate between Chloe and Eli but not between Chloe and Scott. :confused:

I keep hearing "OMG she spent so much more time with Eli and totally led him on", but this isn't even remotely the case.

In my opinion, I think either way would have been rushed...but this strange assertion that this was so unfair to Eli seems (at least to me) to be even stranger than Chloe and Scott doing what they did.

Okay...back to being sarcastic...

jelgate
October 30th, 2009, 01:49 PM
I like Eli, he's a nice guy. If it was me I'd choose Eli over Scott any day of the week. Eli has a sense of humour though he needs to work on it a bit ;) But I like a guy with a sense of humour :D

Strange how you thunk people more like Scott. Lorne looks more like Scott then Eli

Linda06
October 30th, 2009, 01:52 PM
Strange how you thunk people more like Scott. Lorne looks more like Scott then Eli

Some people don't understand why I don't thunk Sheppard ;) But like him, Scott just does nothing for me *shrugs* I don't thunk Eli either, he's too young. All I'm saying is that given a choice I'd choose Eli over Scott :)

And Lorne looks nothing like Scott :p Lorne has something about him, Scott seems kinda flat, not much personality *shrugs*

Pharaoh Atem
October 30th, 2009, 03:35 PM
eli has rush :P

SoulReaver
October 30th, 2009, 03:51 PM
and another woman (a real woman, like Johansen ... yummy) will recognize your true talent. yeah he does have a fair chance of becoming good friends with her as well

Yeah. He has two perfectly fine hands anyway...which is fortunate as these are the only things he'll ever hook up with :/

(then again this isn't RL, so who knows. there might still be a happy ending for him)

Jper
October 30th, 2009, 04:50 PM
*sighs*

*points toward other thread:*

http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=70494

BTW It's Eli not Ely.

*beams out*

[EDIT] Sorry link was wrong, fixed it now.

slurredspeech
October 30th, 2009, 05:48 PM
I am a bit tired of all of the Chloe hate simply because some fans feel there was something legitimate between Chloe and Eli but not between Chloe and Scott. :confused:

I think a lot of it is the case of rooting for the underdog. *shrug*

Can't really say, as I don't see why it has to be an either-or thing. Let the poor girl develop on her own. She doesn't immediately need to be paired up with anyone, as far as I'm concerned.

Captain Obvious
October 30th, 2009, 05:55 PM
Well not a math whiz, but I have the husky part down pat. Think about it ladies.....

I believe the last international "Man-Law Council/NOMAAM" joint conference voted in heavily favor of replacing "Husky" with "Fluffy" in an attempt both to assuage PETA activists and to make us appear more sensitive to women, regardless of our sensitivity level. Just FYI.

I am personally pulling for eli to break the hell out of Cloe's heart, totally shoot her down after the way she snubbed him for Kirk.

Infinite-Possibilities
October 30th, 2009, 08:15 PM
Why is Eli "the underdog"? He might have been in "real life"; but in this show I think he's far more likely to win Cloe than Scott is, in the end.

Coronach
October 30th, 2009, 10:55 PM
Can't really say, as I don't see why it has to be an either-or thing. Let the poor girl develop on her own. She doesn't immediately need to be paired up with anyone, as far as I'm concerned.

I totally agree with this, and it where a decent amount of my grievance lies. However, I'm willing to see how it plays out...as it's not like I have much of a choice anyways :P

Plus, I'm enjoying SGU and I do like all of the characters to some degree so far. :)

Icedragon
October 31st, 2009, 12:43 AM
I feel sorry for Eli as well, from the first episode I have only seen Scott as an undersiving a-hole that knows how to maniputle women.

Linda06
October 31st, 2009, 07:09 AM
I think a lot of it is the case of rooting for the underdog. *shrug*

I've always been a bit of a sucker for the underdog :)

DoThKi
November 1st, 2009, 02:10 PM
Eli is one of only three characters I empathise with and am interested in (Rush and TJ the others). I know a lot of guys including myself who can identify with him. It also puts a bad mark in Chloe's column in my book. Perhaps the stereotype is that women expect men to read the signals and respond to their subtle indications. Eli is clearly enamoured by Chloe but she is blind and deaf to it. And Scott's character is the kind of sexually permissive guy that I could never like or respect. I just hope Eli retains his good humour and kind nature and doesn't let Chloe get him down.

Eternal Density
November 1st, 2009, 09:35 PM
anyway, I think you guys are underestimating Eli.

how many of you would have found the random hot chick in the room and asked to sit with her? and the conversation wasnt exactly awkward from then on.

socially there isnt anything wrong with Eli, and I'm at a loss as to why some of you think he does have social impedimentsYep, he definitely has that going for him. I couldn't have done that :(

Jper
November 2nd, 2009, 02:27 AM
Nah, that's not that spectacular. I would have done that as well. Wasn't really hard. Plus, Eli is not afraid, that's not his social problem. It's more on another level. Like a bit of maturity for example.

Going to sit with Chloe, in fully occupied mess-hall where she was clearly out of place too, isn't really such an accomplishment imho. Nor is talking about what they did talk about. Nothing special imho.