PDA

View Full Version : Do you think Rush knew?

Pages : 1 [2]

EllieVee
November 8th, 2009, 05:51 PM
I rewatched Air over the weekend and paid particular attention to the interaction between Rush and Young on Icarus Base. Young was exactly the same: passive aggressive, hostile, resentful. Rush seemed almost surprised at times.

Tanie
November 28th, 2009, 04:09 PM
He seemed genuinely surprised by the fact that they werent vaporized

It was in the scene where he looked at his watch, realized they shouldve been dead by now, went to the observation deck, saw how close they were to the sun, realized the destiny was doing this on purpose and that they would live, then stared laughing in joy
Then Eli asked him why he was happy and he explained it

So i dont think he knew before hand

Exactly what I was thinking too! :cool:

natyanayaki
November 28th, 2009, 08:03 PM
If he really knew, then I would admit I was fooled. He seemed genuinely shocked and pleased. I think the final scene reflect his extreme pessimism which makes him seem like a dick. Honestly, he is right. They are back where they started since they still have no control over the ship.

My sentiments exactly. I don't think he knew, but he might have thought that it was a possibility, he might have hoped it was a possibility, but that's very different than actually knowing for sure what would happen. In fact, even if he really, really believed that it would happen, how would he know that the ship wouldn't fail in its attempt to shield the crew. So I don't find fault with him in this instance. I find it hard to completely believe that he is sinister, aside from actually dialing the 9th chevron. It seems that the writers want us to distrust him, more than he deserves (at least up till what's so far been shown)...

EllieVee
November 28th, 2009, 09:08 PM
I think part of the problem is that, to my mind anyway, we're supposed to see Young as the flawed but stoic leader and Rush as sinister and wanting power but that's not how Rush is being written or played. To the writers credit (and I don't believe I actually wrote that), the writing for Rush is minimalist which means that Robert Carlyle has a lot to go on in interpreting the character and the thing is, he plays him exceptionally sympathetically. It makes Young look paranoid and while that's not completely how he's written, it's how he's played and more importantly, how he's filmed. Louis Ferreira's doing a great job playing against Carlyle.

Lemontree
May 11th, 2010, 10:31 AM
No. He didn't knew. Emotionally wounded as he is due to the loss of his wife, he does not want to get anyone too close. Especially not Young. And Young was coming much too close in the end. So he pushed him away as perfectly as he could. What better than to rise suspicion against him, thus reinstating the status quo.

carmencatalina
May 20th, 2010, 11:38 AM
No. He didn't knew. Emotionally wounded as he is due to the loss of his wife, he does not want to get anyone too close. Especially not Young. And Young was coming much too close in the end. So he pushed him away as perfectly as he could. What better than to rise suspicion against him, thus reinstating the status quo.

You summed it up very well, I think! I think that friendly hair ruffle (or whatever it was) by Young just crossed the line - Rush felt he had to retreat.

Sp!der
June 16th, 2011, 12:12 PM
no he didn't after rewatch

I did rewatch to right now, no he did not. I came to the same conclusion.

Blizzah
August 1st, 2011, 05:25 AM
I think Rush may have had a feeling that the ship could save itself, given that it has lasted so many years and has been able to provide a solution to many of the previous problems. For one reason or another he did not voice this idea but when he realized the ship was going to survive his actions did not seem like he knew all along. He was much too suprised and happy for an outcome he figured was likely.

Snicker433
April 3rd, 2012, 06:16 PM
I think Rush may have had a feeling that the ship could save itself, given that it has lasted so many years and has been able to provide a solution to many of the previous problems. For one reason or another he did not voice this idea but when he realized the ship was going to survive his actions did not seem like he knew all along. He was much too suprised and happy for an outcome he figured was likely.

I agree, i think he had an idea, he looked generally surprised when he walked into the core room/alternate control room.