PDA

View Full Version : Why the dialing computer?

CJ Master
October 23rd, 2009, 12:18 PM
*I searched for this and nothing came up, sorry if this has been discussed before.*

The SGC's dialing computer is slow and unnecessary. I have no idea why they keep using it. The only reason I can think of is because of the fingerprint scanner. Well, why don't they put a metal cover over a DHD, and retract it when someone with confirmed fingerprints tries to use it?

(They could easily get a DHD from any number of off world sites, perhaps one of the early discovered alpha worlds?)

Skydiver
October 23rd, 2009, 04:38 PM
that's because, at first, they didn't have the DHD. in Giza, the Germans found the DHD, but didn't find the gate. Catherine Landford's father found the gate, but the DHD was missing. (the russians took the DHD as spoils of war after WWII)

Sam write the dialing program and wrote the program to accommodate for stellar drift that got the computer to dial the gate.

the reason they kept using it after they got ownership of one is security i would think. with a DHD you can't lock out bad addresses, or know who's dialed where. the computer makes a paper trail that the DHD doesn't.

CJ Master
October 23rd, 2009, 04:43 PM
Yea, I know they didn't have the DHD before, but why not use it now?

the reason they kept using it after they got ownership of one is security i would think. with a DHD you can't lock out bad addresses,

I'm sure they could find a way.

or know who's dialed where

Security camera?

BriGuy
October 23rd, 2009, 06:31 PM
SGC is set up to work without a DHD, as of course they did not have one. The computer gives them a huge advantage though, it has sensors that detect things in the wormhole, it has the gate power cut off switch(you can't shut off the power to a normal gate with a DHD), gate data, gate telemetry and such.

A DHD can do nothing but dial the gate.

CJ Master
October 23rd, 2009, 07:21 PM
The computer gives them a huge advantage though, it has sensors that detect things in the wormhole, it has the gate power cut off switch(you can't shut off the power to a normal gate with a DHD), gate data, gate telemetry and such.

A DHD can do nothing but dial the gate.

Exactly. You can (presumably) do all of that as long as the gate is dialed, even if it was from a DHD.

(And having my post moderated every time I do so is getting old fast. >.>)

lordofseas
October 23rd, 2009, 07:49 PM
Yea, I know they didn't have the DHD before, but why not use it now?

I'm sure they could find a way.

Security camera?

Because you can tell through security cameras who's under the Mask of Doom?

Finding a way, and having a way. Why waste time and money on a project, when you could just simply improve on the program you have?

CJ Master
October 23rd, 2009, 08:07 PM
Because you can tell through security cameras who's under the Mask of Doom?

Finding a way, and having a way. Why waste time and money on a project, when you could just simply improve on the program you have?

It seems unlikely that we will be able to directly control the stargate and lock in the symbols without spinning the gate, due to our extreme lack of knowledge of the signals the stargate gives off. (48 hours)

jsonitsac
October 25th, 2009, 06:50 PM
I liked Icarus Base's "Dialing Laptop." I wonder if that computer had all of the features of the SGC's, only smaller and able to interface with a DHD.

BrianD
October 25th, 2009, 08:04 PM
It may be slow and unnecessary but it offers better features then using a DHD. Those features and the lack of a DHD are why they use the computer. Just remember the pilot Apophis uses the gate and attacks them from that point on they start doing their own thing using the Iris. It's doubtful they could have used the iris with a DHD. That's only one advantage there are several other advantages it offers to only a few disadvantages.

CJ Master
October 25th, 2009, 08:06 PM
I liked Icarus Base's "Dialing Laptop." I wonder if that computer had all of the features of the SGC's, only smaller and able to interface with a DHD.

I can't remember, was it able to instantly engage chevrons?

Control_Chair
October 26th, 2009, 04:42 AM

Exactly, a DHD can be interfaced with the dialling computers at Iccarus base and the Alpha site so why not at the SGC? The benefits are that you can retain all of the controls like locking out bad addresses, dialling 8th or 9th chevrons and Iris controls, plus you have the DHD powering the gate which can cut down the SGC's electricity bills significantly.

CJ Master
October 26th, 2009, 08:14 PM
It may be slow and unnecessary but it offers better features then using a DHD. Those features and the lack of a DHD are why they use the computer. Just remember the pilot Apophis uses the gate and attacks them from that point on they start doing their own thing using the Iris. It's doubtful they could have used the iris with a DHD. That's only one advantage there are several other advantages it offers to only a few disadvantages.

No offense intended, but why would they don't be able to use an iris along with the DHD?

Exactly, a DHD can be interfaced with the dialling computers at Iccarus base and the Alpha site so why not at the SGC? The benefits are that you can retain all of the controls like locking out bad addresses, dialling 8th or 9th chevrons and Iris controls, plus you have the DHD powering the gate which can cut down the SGC's electricity bills significantly.

Seems like a plan, can it instantly engage chevrons, though? Because that and the DHD's ability to handle all the stargate's signals is the main reason not to use the dialing computer.

ZoSo
October 27th, 2009, 01:38 AM
This is a good question, but you have to remember that humans always prefer to use their own stuff.

The only advantages to using a dhd would be quicker dialings and as you mentioned- less power consumption. For the former, there haven't been many instances were we needed to dial out quickly. And trying to interface our computers with the dhd would probably be more trouble than its worth. And for the latter, that's not something the military would really fret over.

CJ Master
October 27th, 2009, 06:38 PM
This is a good question, but you have to remember that humans always prefer to use their own stuff.

The only advantages to using a dhd would be quicker dialings and as you mentioned- less power consumption. For the former, there haven't been many instances were we needed to dial out quickly. And trying to interface our computers with the dhd would probably be more trouble than its worth. And for the latter, that's not something the military would really fret over.

Yes, but it could be crucial (and has been in several situations) to dial quickly.

AresLover452
October 27th, 2009, 07:19 PM
*I searched for this and nothing came up, sorry if this has been discussed before.*

The SGC's dialing computer is slow and unnecessary. I have no idea why they keep using it. The only reason I can think of is because of the fingerprint scanner. Well, why don't they put a metal cover over a DHD, and retract it when someone with confirmed fingerprints tries to use it?

(They could easily get a DHD from any number of off world sites, perhaps one of the early discovered alpha worlds?)

That and they needed a way to control the Iris.

CJ Master
October 28th, 2009, 09:06 PM
That and they needed a way to control the Iris.

Dhd and iris have nothing to do with one another.. It's a separate system.

AresLover452
October 28th, 2009, 09:11 PM
But they only found out about the iris with the dialing computer

CJ Master
October 29th, 2009, 10:16 PM
But they only found out about the iris with the dialing computer

...Huh? They built the iris themselves.

AresLover452
October 29th, 2009, 11:16 PM
...Huh? They built the iris themselves.

No they didn't, it's in the Pilot episode. while Jack and his team were on Abydos getting Daniel the techs on Earth find it and when Jack and the team gets back Hammond shows them the Iris that they found while running diagnostic. Later on they reinforce the Iris with that metal they found on Tonanay's planet. The episode Spirits.

re-watch Children of the Gods... it explains it all.

IcarusAbides
October 29th, 2009, 11:41 PM
No they didn't, it's in the Pilot episode. while Jack and his team were on Abydos getting Daniel the techs on Earth find it and when Jack and the team gets back Hammond shows them the Iris that they found while running diagnostic. Later on they reinforce the Iris with that metal they found on Tonanay's planet. The episode Spirits.

re-watch Children of the Gods... it explains it all.
I'm going to have to rewatch it, that's something i have clearly missed. Now to find those DVDs.

AresLover452
October 29th, 2009, 11:47 PM
I'm going to have to rewatch it, that's something i have clearly missed. Now to find those DVDs.

It's there...

IcarusAbides
October 29th, 2009, 11:53 PM
It's there...
No doubt, will have to rewatch it later today, whereabouts does that part come up?

AresLover452
October 29th, 2009, 11:55 PM
No doubt, will have to rewatch it later today, whereabouts does that part come up?

It is in the Pilot eppy Children of the Gods... somewhere around the time Jack and the team gets back with Daniel and the injured.

IcarusAbides
October 29th, 2009, 11:57 PM
It is in the Pilot eppy Children of the Gods... somewhere around the time Jack and the team gets back with Daniel and the injured.
I shall go look now.

AresLover452
October 29th, 2009, 11:58 PM
I shall go look now.

lol!! have fun.

IcarusAbides
October 30th, 2009, 12:11 AM
lol!! have fun.
Damn, my season 1 is out on loan, will have to get hold of it later and watch.

AresLover452
October 30th, 2009, 12:22 AM
Damn, my season 1 is out on loan, will have to get hold of it later and watch.

Oh well.

IcarusAbides
October 30th, 2009, 12:26 AM
Oh well.
May have to settle for some season 2, or watch the new Star trek movie again, tough choices.

AresLover452
October 30th, 2009, 12:28 AM
May have to settle for some season 2, or watch the new Star trek movie again, tough choices.

I would go with the new Trek, but SG-1 S2 is always good. Sam Jack goodness.

Amelius
October 30th, 2009, 12:29 AM
The Iris was built by the SGC. It wasn't originally installed.

http://www.gateworld.net/wiki/Iris

Children of the Gods - The first iris is installed and immediately put to work in the S.G.C. just after the first mission to Chulak.

IcarusAbides
October 30th, 2009, 12:31 AM
I would go with the new Trek, but SG-1 S2 is always good. Sam Jack goodness.
I suppose, it is a good film at the end of the day.

AresLover452
October 30th, 2009, 12:42 AM
I suppose, it is a good film at the end of the day.

I saw it three times in theatres

IcarusAbides
October 30th, 2009, 12:43 AM
I saw it three times in theatres
Twice myself along with Watchmen.

AresLover452
October 30th, 2009, 12:45 AM
Twice myself along with Watchmen.

I was not that impressed with WATCHMAN

IcarusAbides
October 30th, 2009, 12:48 AM
I was not that impressed with WATCHMAN
I enjoyed it, i thought it was visually pretty stunning, the story got confused and without prior knowledge of the comics it's really easy to get lost, what impressed me was the cinematography of the film. Though not as much as Star Trek which was phenomenal.

AresLover452
October 30th, 2009, 12:50 AM
It was good i just wasn't that impressed

IcarusAbides
October 30th, 2009, 12:52 AM
It was good i just wasn't that impressed
Fair enough, to each their own and for everyone there is firefly

AresLover452
October 30th, 2009, 12:54 AM
Fair enough, to each their own and for everyone there is firefly

Absolutely... lol!!

IcarusAbides
October 30th, 2009, 12:56 AM
Absolutely... lol!!
Thought you might be a firefly fan somehow;)

AresLover452
October 30th, 2009, 01:00 AM
Well Duh! lol!!

IcarusAbides
October 30th, 2009, 01:03 AM
Well Duh! lol!!
I am once again in the world of JJ Abrams Star Trek aka lens flare city.

AresLover452
October 30th, 2009, 01:28 AM
I am once again in the world of JJ Abrams Star Trek aka lens flare city.

I like what he did with the new movie.

IcarusAbides
October 30th, 2009, 01:43 AM
I like what he did with the new movie.
I loved it, i thought it looked amazing. I like how even he admits he didn't realise just how much lens flare he was putting in until he watched it back.

AresLover452
October 30th, 2009, 01:52 AM
I know this one guy who talked about nothing but going to go and see it and when it finally came to theatres and all these promos were realesed, he didn't go see it because of the way the Enterprise looked.

IcarusAbides
October 30th, 2009, 01:54 AM
I know this one guy who talked about nothing but going to go and see it and when it finally came to theatres and all these promos were realesed, he didn't go see it because of the way the Enterprise looked.
That's a bit of an over reaction, personally i loved the way the enterprise looked, it was what the Star Trek franchise needed. And that chair does look comfy.

AresLover452
October 30th, 2009, 01:55 AM
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/d/d2/StargateIrisAnimation.gif

Love this pic.

same here but the guy is a weirdo anyway.

IcarusAbides
October 30th, 2009, 01:57 AM
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/d/d2/StargateIrisAnimation.gif

Love this pic.

same here but the guy is a weirdo anyway.
Quality pic.

AresLover452
October 30th, 2009, 01:58 AM
I just loved when the iris activated.

IcarusAbides
October 30th, 2009, 02:00 AM
I just loved when the iris activated.
Yeah it's very well done.

AresLover452
October 30th, 2009, 02:01 AM
Yeah it's very well done.

Did you knwo that the gate the inner track actually spins and the chevrons engage?

IcarusAbides
October 30th, 2009, 02:03 AM
Did you knwo that the gate the inner track actually spins and the chevrons engage?
Yes, why?

AresLover452
October 30th, 2009, 02:06 AM
Yes, why?

Just wondering. i told that to someone and they were like, "What really?"

lol!!! and the guy had seen every eppy of SG-1 at the time

IcarusAbides
October 30th, 2009, 02:07 AM
Just wondering. i told that to someone and they were like, "What really?"

lol!!! and the guy had seen every eppy of SG-1 at the time
How do people like that exist and how do they watch stargate, surely they must be confused by how to turn on tv's.

AresLover452
October 30th, 2009, 02:08 AM
How do people like that exist and how do they watch stargate, surely they must be confused by how to turn on tv's.

i know right... it was like... what? R u serious? Lol!!

IcarusAbides
October 30th, 2009, 02:10 AM
i know right... it was like... what? R u serious? Lol!!
Did he realise that a big whoooooshiiii thing happened and then people walked through the gate or was it all just magic.

AresLover452
October 30th, 2009, 03:24 PM
IDK.... he was kinda... not there.

CJ Master
October 30th, 2009, 05:35 PM
OMG? I've never had a topic go so far off-topic in my life... Perhaps your conversations would do better in a pm? :jack:

I watch CotG and it said that they built the iris themselves, unless I misheard it.

AresLover452
October 30th, 2009, 05:53 PM
OMG? I've never had a topic go so far off-topic in my life... Perhaps your conversations would do better in a pm? :jack:

I watch CotG and it said that they built the iris themselves, unless I misheard it.

Yeah sry... lol!!

No, they found it within the gate itself. The dialing computer controls all of the gate systems... where as the DHD just allows for the imput of addresses.

CJ Master
October 30th, 2009, 06:18 PM
Yeah sry... lol!!

No, they found it within the gate itself. The dialing computer controls all of the gate systems... where as the DHD just allows for the imput of addresses.

That wouldn't make sense. Why would the ancients put an iris in a stargate if they couldn't control it?

AresLover452
October 30th, 2009, 06:28 PM
That wouldn't make sense. Why would the ancients put an iris in a stargate if they couldn't control it?

They did set up on Earth first, so they would need a way to control it from there. so I think that is why the two Earth gates have the iris.... or maybe all of them do but the DHD can't get to it... lol!!

Amelius
October 31st, 2009, 01:17 AM
As I said previously, the iris was put in by the SGC. It wasn't originally there. Watch the episode again.

As for the DHD, I do agree that the dialing computer gives more control over the dialing of the gate. However the DHD provides power for the gate. They should have had it attached at least to provide power for it. That would have eliminated several million $ from the budget of the SG program. The DHD could have been locked in a secured room to keep it from being used by someone unauthorized. And I'm sure Carter (or someone else :mckay: ) could have rigged it so the DHD only provides power while the dialing computer dials the gate.

Control_Chair
November 1st, 2009, 08:24 AM
As I said previously, the iris was put in by the SGC. It wasn't originally there. Watch the episode again.

As for the DHD, I do agree that the dialing computer gives more control over the dialing of the gate. However the DHD provides power for the gate. They should have had it attached at least to provide power for it. That would have eliminated several million $ from the budget of the SG program. The DHD could have been locked in a secured room to keep it from being used by someone unauthorized. And I'm sure Carter (or someone else :mckay: ) could have rigged it so the DHD only provides power while the dialing computer dials the gate.

That’s what has been done on our off-world bases, watch SG1 Gemini S 8 Ep 11, Repli Carter dials the Alpha sites stargate using a dialling computer even though there is a DHD present. Same on Iccarus base where the DHD was displaying the Nine Chevron address.

potty_matt
November 4th, 2009, 01:42 PM
why not try and use something like they have at Atlantis and combine the to systems, earth tech can combine with the crystals they use. Also didn't jack write down the exact specs for the dhd when he had the knowledge of the ancients in his head, for carter and the science team stuck on the planet where the dhd is not working.

jsonitsac
November 4th, 2009, 05:38 PM
why not try and use something like they have at Atlantis and combine the to systems, earth tech can combine with the crystals they use. Also didn't jack write down the exact specs for the dhd when he had the knowledge of the ancients in his head, for carter and the science team stuck on the planet where the dhd is not working.

I imagine that by the time the Tau'ri developed a good enough knowledge of ancient technology they probably figured that it would have been too expensive or time consuming to install a new dialing system. Why fix something that wasn't broken?

Quadhelix
November 4th, 2009, 06:04 PM
Well, you can assert that as much as you like, it doesn't change the fact that you're wrong: first, the original iris was, as Hammond noted in "Children of the Gods," made of pure titanium - not really a building material used by the Ancients.

Note that I said original iris: in the episode "A Matter of Time," the iris was destroyed and had to be replaced - the replacement, by the way, was improved by making it out of a titanium/trinium alloy.

potty_matt
November 5th, 2009, 09:17 AM
I imagine that by the time the Tau'ri developed a good enough knowledge of ancient technology they probably figured that it would have been too expensive or time consuming to install a new dialing system. Why fix something that wasn't broken?

they have had to improve the dialing system because they cant dial out fast enough when someone else dialing in at the end of the 38min window when someone is attacking earth. So improving the dialing system with uses of crystals allowing the stargate to dial with out the inner track spinning would mean a faster dial also cutting down on the power requirement on the base by using the power crystal a dhd uses.

jsonitsac
November 5th, 2009, 07:21 PM
they have had to improve the dialing system because they cant dial out fast enough when someone else dialing in at the end of the 38min window when someone is attacking earth. So improving the dialing system with uses of crystals allowing the stargate to dial with out the inner track spinning would mean a faster dial also cutting down on the power requirement on the base by using the power crystal a dhd uses.

But they have an Iris to prevent hostiles from actually showing up on Earth. Sure they could always try Sokar's trick, but the fact is tehat the system that the SGC has is pretty good as it stands. Again, I don't see a reason to fix something that wasn't broken.

CJ Master
November 5th, 2009, 10:01 PM
But they have an Iris to prevent hostiles from actually showing up on Earth. Sure they could always try Sokar's trick, but the fact is tehat the system that the SGC has is pretty good as it stands. Again, I don't see a reason to fix something that wasn't broken.

Remember that first quantum mirror episode? And I'm sure there's more where it was important.