This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why the dialing computer?

*I searched for this and nothing came up, sorry if this has been discussed before.*

The SGC's dialing computer is slow and unnecessary. I have no idea why they keep using it. The only reason I can think of is because of the fingerprint scanner. Well, why don't they put a metal cover over a DHD, and retract it when someone with confirmed fingerprints tries to use it?

(They could easily get a DHD from any number of off world sites, perhaps one of the early discovered alpha worlds?)

that's because, at first, they didn't have the DHD. in Giza, the Germans found the DHD, but didn't find the gate. Catherine Landford's father found the gate, but the DHD was missing. (the russians took the DHD as spoils of war after WWII)

Sam write the dialing program and wrote the program to accommodate for stellar drift that got the computer to dial the gate.

the reason they kept using it after they got ownership of one is security i would think. with a DHD you can't lock out bad addresses, or know who's dialed where. the computer makes a paper trail that the DHD doesn't.
    Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Yea, I know they didn't have the DHD before, but why not use it now?

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
      the reason they kept using it after they got ownership of one is security i would think. with a DHD you can't lock out bad addresses,
      I'm sure they could find a way.

or know who's dialed where
      Security camera?

Comment

SGC is set up to work without a DHD, as of course they did not have one. The computer gives them a huge advantage though, it has sensors that detect things in the wormhole, it has the gate power cut off switch(you can't shut off the power to a normal gate with a DHD), gate data, gate telemetry and such.

A DHD can do nothing but dial the gate.

Comment

Originally posted by BriGuy View Post
          The computer gives them a huge advantage though, it has sensors that detect things in the wormhole, it has the gate power cut off switch(you can't shut off the power to a normal gate with a DHD), gate data, gate telemetry and such.

A DHD can do nothing but dial the gate.
          Exactly. You can (presumably) do all of that as long as the gate is dialed, even if it was from a DHD.

(And having my post moderated every time I do so is getting old fast. >.>)

Comment

Originally posted by CJ Master View Post
            Yea, I know they didn't have the DHD before, but why not use it now?

I'm sure they could find a way.

Security camera?
            Because you can tell through security cameras who's under the Mask of Doom?

Finding a way, and having a way. Why waste time and money on a project, when you could just simply improve on the program you have?
            If you wish to see more of my rants, diatribes, and general comments, check out my Twitter account SirRyanR!
            Check out Pharaoh Hamenthotep's wicked 3D renders here!
            If you can prove me wrong, go for it. I enjoy being proven wrong.

sigpic
            Worship the Zefron. Always the Zefron.

Comment

Originally posted by lordofseas View Post
              Because you can tell through security cameras who's under the Mask of Doom?

Finding a way, and having a way. Why waste time and money on a project, when you could just simply improve on the program you have?
              It seems unlikely that we will be able to directly control the stargate and lock in the symbols without spinning the gate, due to our extreme lack of knowledge of the signals the stargate gives off. (48 hours)

Comment

I liked Icarus Base's "Dialing Laptop." I wonder if that computer had all of the features of the SGC's, only smaller and able to interface with a DHD.

Comment

It may be slow and unnecessary but it offers better features then using a DHD. Those features and the lack of a DHD are why they use the computer. Just remember the pilot Apophis uses the gate and attacks them from that point on they start doing their own thing using the Iris. It's doubtful they could have used the iris with a DHD. That's only one advantage there are several other advantages it offers to only a few disadvantages.

Comment

Originally posted by jsonitsac View Post
                    I liked Icarus Base's "Dialing Laptop." I wonder if that computer had all of the features of the SGC's, only smaller and able to interface with a DHD.
                    I can't remember, was it able to instantly engage chevrons?

Comment

Originally posted by jsonitsac View Post
                      Exactly, a DHD can be interfaced with the dialling computers at Iccarus base and the Alpha site so why not at the SGC? The benefits are that you can retain all of the controls like locking out bad addresses, dialling 8th or 9th chevrons and Iris controls, plus you have the DHD powering the gate which can cut down the SGC's electricity bills significantly.
                      "So, what's your impression of Alar?"
                      "That he is concealing something."
                      "Like what?"
                      "I am unsure. He is concealing it."

"Well, according to Einstein’s General Theory of Relativity, there’s nothing in the laws of physics to prevent it. Extremely difficult to achieve, mind you – you need the technology to manipulate black holes to create wormholes not only through points in space but time."
                      "Not to mention a really nice DeLorean."
                      "Don’t even get me started on that movie!"
                      "I liked that movie!"

Comment

Originally posted by BrianD View Post
                        It may be slow and unnecessary but it offers better features then using a DHD. Those features and the lack of a DHD are why they use the computer. Just remember the pilot Apophis uses the gate and attacks them from that point on they start doing their own thing using the Iris. It's doubtful they could have used the iris with a DHD. That's only one advantage there are several other advantages it offers to only a few disadvantages.
                        No offense intended, but why would they don't be able to use an iris along with the DHD?

Exactly, a DHD can be interfaced with the dialling computers at Iccarus base and the Alpha site so why not at the SGC? The benefits are that you can retain all of the controls like locking out bad addresses, dialling 8th or 9th chevrons and Iris controls, plus you have the DHD powering the gate which can cut down the SGC's electricity bills significantly.
                        Seems like a plan, can it instantly engage chevrons, though? Because that and the DHD's ability to handle all the stargate's signals is the main reason not to use the dialing computer.

Comment

This is a good question, but you have to remember that humans always prefer to use their own stuff.

The only advantages to using a dhd would be quicker dialings and as you mentioned- less power consumption. For the former, there haven't been many instances were we needed to dial out quickly. And trying to interface our computers with the dhd would probably be more trouble than its worth. And for the latter, that's not something the military would really fret over.

Comment

Originally posted by ZoSo View Post
                            This is a good question, but you have to remember that humans always prefer to use their own stuff.

The only advantages to using a dhd would be quicker dialings and as you mentioned- less power consumption. For the former, there haven't been many instances were we needed to dial out quickly. And trying to interface our computers with the dhd would probably be more trouble than its worth. And for the latter, that's not something the military would really fret over.
                            Yes, but it could be crucial (and has been in several situations) to dial quickly.

Comment

Originally posted by CJ Master View Post
                              *I searched for this and nothing came up, sorry if this has been discussed before.*

The SGC's dialing computer is slow and unnecessary. I have no idea why they keep using it. The only reason I can think of is because of the fingerprint scanner. Well, why don't they put a metal cover over a DHD, and retract it when someone with confirmed fingerprints tries to use it?

(They could easily get a DHD from any number of off world sites, perhaps one of the early discovered alpha worlds?)
                              That and they needed a way to control the Iris.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X