PDA

View Full Version : Pete or Jack

Elwe Singollo
May 12th, 2004, 09:15 PM
Which one of these guys do you guys/gals think is a better fit? (Pete or Jack)

SaharaGate
May 12th, 2004, 09:34 PM
A better fit?

...for what exactly?

I'm pretty sure my answer will be Jack though! :D

ShadowMaat
May 12th, 2004, 09:46 PM
I just wanted to say that I personally think that this thread is a bad idea. It encourages bashing and ill will by forcing people to choose. All of the Pete-bashers will come here and vent their vitriol by crucifying Pete on the Altar of Sam/Jack ship and all the Sam/Pete folk will say how wrong Jack is for Sam and point out all the reasons why.

It's as bad as asking "Daniel or Jonas?"

Anyway, just thought I'd make sure you know what you're getting yourself (and the rest of the board) into by opening this particular can of worms.

Bagpuss
May 12th, 2004, 09:57 PM

Hmmmm! Not sure what you're getting at here,Gater Friend!I'm intrigued by the question though.......... :)

If it's a Q about their "Fitness" to be on the Sam b/f list,I'd prefer to stay out of it!

If it's a Q about their respective dress sense,I'm going to pick Pete!

If it's a Q about their "Fitness" to be on the show,I'm plumping for Jack!

Need some parameters here!Pretty Please! :D

Bagpuss
May 12th, 2004, 10:01 PM
I just wanted to say that I personally think that this thread is a bad idea. It encourages bashing and ill will by forcing people to choose. All of the Pete-bashers will come here and vent their vitriol by crucifying Pete on the Altar of Sam/Jack ship and all the Sam/Pete folk will say how wrong Jack is for Sam and point out all the reasons why.

It's as bad as asking Daniel or Jonas.

Anyway, just thought I'd make sure you know what you're getting yourself (and the rest of the boar) into by opening this particular can of worms.

Steady on Shadow! Give him a chance to define his parameters first!
THEN we can start picking sides and stuff! ;)

With you friend about the "Bashing" and all.I loathe that stuff too and Vitriol doesn't add anything to any debate! :eek:

SaharaGate
May 13th, 2004, 12:28 AM
Hmmmm! Not sure what you're getting at here,Gater Friend!I'm intrigued by the question though.......... :)

If it's a Q about their "Fitness" to be on the Sam b/f list,I'd prefer to stay out of it!

If it's a Q about their respective dress sense,I'm going to pick Pete!

Hmmm, I can't remember what he was wearing...would have to check. Not overly impressed by Jack's dress sense - but that's the point isn't it. Besides, he looks good in whatever...

If it's a Q about their "Fitness" to be on the show,I'm plumping for Jack!

Need some parameters here!Pretty Please! :D

Definiltely Jack. No offence to David De'Luise. Didn't absolutely hate the idea of Pete, but the whole ball of wax turned out less than satisfactory. Pity.

And yes, really need parameters.....the initial topic just sounds, in Jack's words...kinky ;)

Bagpuss
May 13th, 2004, 02:00 AM
Oh Yes! Parameters GOOD.Uncertainty BAD. ;)

If we're supposed to be debating the "Issue", I think we need to know what context we're supposed to use first !!
(Saves on ammo and innocent victims,IMO!) ;)

As for "Kinky",mmnnnn....no. Can't see any of THAT possiblity with P/J . ;)LOL!

Catysg1
May 13th, 2004, 02:09 AM
I think I said it many times in the Sam/Jack shipper thread I,II,III,IV,V, AND VI
and I have 30 videos of Sam and Jack together...Care to look...Great romantic songs too. ;) :D :) :cool: :D

Caty aka ShipDiva. :)

Bagpuss
May 13th, 2004, 02:32 AM
I think I said it many times in the Sam/Jack shipper thread I,II,III,IV,V, AND VI
and I have 30 videos of Sam and Jack together...Care to look...Great romantic songs too. ;) :D :) :cool: :D

Caty aka ShipDiva. :)

Hiya Caty! Is that a Shippin' alert I spy? :D Just joking!Also thought I'd say
Hi as I was prev. "Footholder" on the "Old" Forum.Still enjoy your vids with my "J/S Shipper" daughter! She still hasn't turned me into a Shipper,despite all her best efforts. ;) Best Wishes anyway.((((((((Caty)))))))) :D

As we haven't yet GOT the topic theme for this Thread,best I shut up now. :o Take cover,Caty......... ;)

Madeleine
May 13th, 2004, 03:52 AM

The better fit? Well they both have four letters so either would fit. You haven't told us what the clues are.

Perhaps if you did some of the words that have common letters with the space you're trying to fill then we'd be nearer to working out the answer.

In the meantime have a go at Six Down: "up, down, charmed ___". There might be a few people around here who could help you with that one....

auralan
May 13th, 2004, 05:24 AM
Better fit? Probably Pete. He's shorter. You can squish him in smaller spaces.

tauripeg
May 13th, 2004, 08:27 AM

;) Well depending on what you are talking about. I'm assuming a better fit for sam. I have to vote for jack. I have nothing against pete, he seems to be a nice guy-except for the fact that he was snooping for info on sam behind her back :S. he just doesn't seem to be a good fit for sam. :eek:

anyway i'll be back to give my opinion when we get a little bit more info on what you are looking for. :)

Catysg1
May 13th, 2004, 08:46 AM
Hiya Caty! Is that a Shippin' alert I spy? :D Just joking!Also thought I'd say
Hi as I was prev. "Footholder" on the "Old" Forum.Still enjoy your vids with my "J/S Shipper" daughter! She still hasn't turned me into a Shipper,despite all her best efforts. ;) Best Wishes anyway.((((((((Caty)))))))) :D

As we haven't yet GOT the topic theme for this Thread,best I shut up now. :o Take cover,Caty......... ;)

Hi you ;) Glad to see ..to see you NICE :)

No way I'm taking over :eek:

This is probably the only thread I'll be talking to you ..so I hope you're alright..and your dauhgter too ;)

Haven't forgotten about "Die another day" version Daniel and Teal'c ;) But may take me a while to get all those clips!!!! :rolleyes:

Anyway...Jack is so Damm HOT. :D

Psttttt:....Tell your daughter I have more videos in my website :)

Caty aka ShipDiva ;)

Sam_o_Neill
May 13th, 2004, 08:49 AM
JACK JACK JACK JACK JACK!!!!!
No contest....

dorien
May 13th, 2004, 11:22 AM
A better fit...hmmm...that is so open to interpretation that I'm half tempted to give a slightly snarky answer. :D

But I'll assume an innocent (and not double entendre ;) ) meaning in reference to Sam. I like the subtle Jack and Sam shippyness. I also like the Pete and Sam shippyness. But my enjoyment in the show isn't invested in either so I say "Bring Back Narim!" :p

jenniferhailey
May 13th, 2004, 11:29 AM
Both if it's an option or Jack.

Pete is fit but he's such a stalker.

But who is right for Sammi? Well.....I'd have to say JACK JACK JACK JACK JACK JACK JACK JACK JACK :D

Elwe Singollo
May 13th, 2004, 11:33 AM
I skimmed through most of these posts, at all no means, didn't mean to bash anyone character, I like both Pete and Jack, it was just a simple question, sorry if i meant anything bad.

marythebadger
May 13th, 2004, 01:08 PM
there can only be Sam/Pete...
there's that little thing called the regulations (and there are real reasons behind the regulations, like preserving good military order... it's a reg that is there for a reason and a purpose)....
there's the huge and honkin' thing, that Jack deserves better (he deserves someone who understands that he is in fact a complex human being who carries a heavy load of guilt and pain over the failures in his past)...
and then there's that picture on Jack's living room wall (that used to be right beside his bed)... and it ain't Carter..........
mary the badger

stargate barbie
May 13th, 2004, 01:13 PM
if the question is "Which one of these guys do you guys/gals think is a better fit", as a lousy stalking weirdo of a boyfriend ? (Pete or Jack). then my answer is definitely pete.
other than that.... you'll have to specify.
better fit for sam? personally i think its jack.
better fit for my pants? i'd have to investigate further.
better fit for the job as sg-1's commanding officer? neither. i pick teal'c or sam. ;)
i could go on.... not going to though... thank god!

Bagpuss
May 13th, 2004, 01:35 PM
I skimmed through most of these posts, at all no means, didn't mean to bash anyone character, I like both Pete and Jack, it was just a simple question, sorry if i meant anything bad.

Hi there friend! I, for one, didn't think you were trying to "Bash" anyone!Also, I didn't think you were trying to do anything "Bad"!

Reading your latest post,am I right in thinking you simply meant "Do we prefer Pete or Jack as people"?

If you meant anything different,no problem,IMO,as there's plenty room for everyone and you shouldn't be afraid to state your opinions.:D

stargate barbie
May 13th, 2004, 02:04 PM
Reading your latest post,am I right in thinking you simply meant "Do we prefer Pete or Jack as people"?

i hadn't thought of that version.
answer; jack.

If you meant anything different,no problem,IMO,as there's plenty room for everyone and you shouldn't be afraid to state your opinions.:D

he's right about that...:)

ShadowMaat
May 13th, 2004, 02:15 PM

Sorry if I jumped the gun, but I'd just come from the thread about David DeLuise returning and there was a lot of "I hope Pete dies!" sentiment that left me a little twitchy.

Who do I prefer as a person? Pete
Whose sense of humor do I prefer? Early series Jack
Who would I want to spend the day with (or date)? Pete
Who would I want watching my six in a firefight? Jack ;)
Who do I think would provide Sam with a loving, stable, healthy relationship? Pete
Who do I think has done more damage to the character of Sam? TPTB :P

bcmilco
May 13th, 2004, 02:40 PM

Okay I was going to stay out of this topic, but I saw this and I just had to add my agreement :D :p

Elwe Singollo
May 13th, 2004, 03:07 PM
I think both have their qualities :)

stargate barbie
May 13th, 2004, 03:13 PM
I think both have their qualities :)
hey don't get me wrong here. pete is good looking. he can be a funny guy. he does have his qualities. i just don't find him to be a particularly nice guy.

and jack definitely has his faults, but at least he's honest about them. he's also funny, good looking, and damn good at his job.

OzGirl
May 14th, 2004, 03:42 AM
OT for a moment...

Hi as I was prev. "Footholder" on the "Old" Forum.

So *you're* Footholder! I was wondering whether or not you wandered
over. See you around!

Oz

Bagpuss
May 14th, 2004, 04:03 AM
OT for a moment...

So *you're* Footholder! I was wondering whether or not you wandered
over. See you around!

Oz

Back Atcha Ozgirl! :D

Weeell,I couldn't resist the chance to play in this lovely Sand-Pit! :D

Catysg1
May 14th, 2004, 04:38 AM
Jack is nice..he has all the qualities..I think...can be smart, scruffy, intelligent ..sometimes a bit dumb which is cute ....he likes to joke ...he is sometimes sarcastic but some women are too...and it 's fine in small doses ..he is very caring for anybody he likes.. he supports his friends... he likes peace and quiet when not working..he likes to relax ..in fact he is very laid back ..I love that. He also love children which is a great quality...he'll make a smashing Dad again one day and will probably spoil his children. Jack is dedicated..and would die for his country or his friends (lost city too stick his head in that think) he 's so brave...He is a hero and is Damm gorgeous .. ;) :) :D

I finish...We don't know Pete ..so no need to disscuss him ..as far as I've seen ..just a stupid Cop so far.. :eek:

Caty ;)

Slainte
May 14th, 2004, 07:03 AM
Sorry if I jumped the gun, but I'd just come from the thread about David DeLuise returning and there was a lot of "I hope Pete dies!" sentiment that left me a little twitchy.

Who do I prefer as a person? Pete
Whose sense of humor do I prefer? Early series Jack
Who would I want to spend the day with (or date)? Pete
Who would I want watching my six in a firefight? Jack ;)
Who do I think would provide Sam with a loving, stable, healthy relationship? Pete
Well, Pete is a fictional character after all. I don't become overly concerned when some fans write that they hope he meets the same end as some of Sam's other suitors. :) I don't want Pete to die. I just want Sam to realize he's not the one for her. If not Jack, Agent Barrett would be my second choice.

My main point in commenting, though, was to say I don't think from what I've seen of Pete that he would "provide Sam with a loving, stable, healthy relationship." Leaving aside the stalker question, from his behavior when they were together I think he was too pushy and too controlling. I have the feeling this would carry over even after he knew what Sam did. I can see him complaining about the hours she puts in, being away, can't make plans, etc. I think, from what we saw, he's pretty inflexible.
Jack, on the other hand, might be a pain in the butt to live with at times, but I have the absolute conviction he would always want Sam to be free to be who she is and free to do what she wants.
Given a choice between hearts and flowers and control or moody and grumpy at times but always someone who would be supporting me even if it were inconvenient, I know who I would choose.

ShadowMaat
May 14th, 2004, 09:12 AM
My main point in commenting, though, was to say I don't think from what I've seen of Pete that he would "provide Sam with a loving, stable, healthy relationship." Leaving aside the stalker question, from his behavior when they were together I think he was too pushy and too controlling.

That's why it's MY opinion, not yours. ;) While I think that what Pete did may have been a little extreme, it didn't bother me and I didn't consider it stalking. And yes, I've been stalked before, so I know how it feels. I'm not going to defend my views on Pete here because frankly I'm getting sick of constantly having to explain myself. I love Pete. I think what he did was OK, and I think he'd be a hell of a lot better for Sam than Jack ever could. Then again, I think a bag of sugar would be better for Sam than Jack would be. :P If you object to that, fine. It's still my opinion.

Jack, on the other hand, might be a pain in the butt to live with at times, but I have the absolute conviction he would always want Sam to be free to be who she is and free to do what she wants.

Yes, YOU have the absolute conviction. I, on the other hand, think that Jack is possibly the worst match for her. Maybe earlier in the series it wouldn't have bothered me as much (although I think they have as much chemistry as a couple of rocks), but I now find Jack to be cold, emotionally distant, angry and generally unconcerned with anyone but himself. That's MY opinion. You're more than welcome to disagree, but it isn't going to change how I see things.

There's also the fact that- in MY opinion- Pete doesn't turn Sam into a brainless over-emotional bimbo, but I think that has more to do with crappy writing than anything relating to the characters themselves.

mac.08
May 15th, 2004, 10:43 AM
I’ cant choose Pete and Jack are so different. :rolleyes:
They live in a different world.

TameFarrar
May 15th, 2004, 11:56 AM

I too wasn't going to get into this thread...but I did want to voice my agreement with this statement :)

bcmilco
May 15th, 2004, 11:58 AM
I too wasn't going to get into this thread...but I did want to voice my agreement with this statement :)

Copycat :p

TameFarrar
May 15th, 2004, 12:05 PM
Copycat :p
You know by responding to this nonsense I am going to be accused of *upping* my post count :p
and yes I did copycat you...because as usual you found the one thing that I agreed with. can I help it if you follow a great mind such as mine :p

bcmilco
May 15th, 2004, 12:14 PM
You know by responding to this nonsense I am going to be accused of *upping* my post count :p
and yes I did copycat you...because as usual you found the one thing that I agreed with. can I help it if you follow a great mind such as mine :p

Um, check the order of the posts. It looks more like your following my great mind :p

Of course we're both following Shadow... :D

ShadowMaat
May 15th, 2004, 12:18 PM

And that's probably something that should really worry you. ;)

bcmilco
May 15th, 2004, 12:35 PM
And that's probably something that should really worry you. ;)

Trust me it does :p

TameFarrar
May 15th, 2004, 12:36 PM
Um, check the order of the posts. It looks more like your following my great mind :p

Now see I was trying to avoid saying that :D
Yes I will defer....we both ARE agreeing with Shadow....as much as that pains me to say :D
Plus I was talking about age wise not post wise.....

but the point is moot Shadow was right...oh that hurt :D

Bagpuss
May 15th, 2004, 12:58 PM
LOL!Time for my 2 cents:I like this agreement thing.Is it Contagious? ;)

FHB((((((((((((((Tame,BCM,Shadow,etc!))))))))))))))) :D :D :D

Arrgggghhhhhhh! Obviously yes! At the moment at least,anyway! ;)

Time for me to slink back to my Neutral Zone or TLW Thread,before I become a "Born Again Hippie"...........No offense to real Hippies,btw. ;)

On Topic: I vote Jack as an overall preference,but want Pete written far better,as I can't say I feel I "Know" his character yet!I don't want to end up making any judgement really on Pete,until I've seen Season 8.Sorry! :o

Elwe Singollo
May 15th, 2004, 01:24 PM
hehe...

poppy_popcorn
May 15th, 2004, 01:36 PM
JACK!

Jack is SO much better then Pete. Sam deserves Jack! besides, Pete was using Sam to get top secret information! Who would go out with that kind of a loser!

ShadowMaat
May 15th, 2004, 01:47 PM
Who would go out with that kind of a loser!

I would! :D But then, my view of Pete is quite significantly different from yours.

samjack4ever
May 15th, 2004, 02:34 PM
I like Pete. I think he is great and will be good for Sam. Don't get me wrong I'm all for Sam and Jack (hence the nickname) but I feel it is essential for Sam to get some perspective. We all know that Sam 'thinks' she has fallen for Jack as away to protect herself from being hurt. But who is to say her feelings for Jack aren't real. Maybe her stint with Pete will help her work this out.

That’s what I’m hoping for anyway…

BTW….

BOOOOOOOO!!!!! Ukraine won the Eurovision Song Contest.. Never mind we’ll win next year.

Sam…

==========================

Fantastic Fanfiction @

http://uk.geocities.com/sam_jack4ever/ (http://uk.geocities.com/sam_jack4ever/)

Bucky
May 15th, 2004, 03:55 PM
^^Me too. That's exactly the way I feel. Let her work it out for herself that Pete is a diversion and that her feelings for Jack are real.

Jane
May 22nd, 2004, 01:54 AM
I am just gonna keep this short. JACK!!!! :D

keshou
May 22nd, 2004, 05:52 AM
Can I vote neither one??? I'm not convinced either guy is right for Sam.

stargate barbie
May 22nd, 2004, 02:32 PM

but does the question mean "pete or jack" for sam or just who do you prefer in general?

Bagpuss
May 22nd, 2004, 02:40 PM
Good question! I don't think we ever got the exact Parameters from the Thread Starter.

I just took it in the end to be one of those "Open-Ended" Threads,where we can answer any way we prefer to view the question.

Off to take a quick check back!

Bagpuss
May 22nd, 2004, 02:44 PM

Any clearer,Gater Pals ? ;)

I say go for it,whatever you feel, and no Bashing required! :)

hrh36
May 23rd, 2004, 11:50 AM

I'm with ya' there, Kes. Daniel's the one for Sam! :)

hrh

the dancer of spaz
May 24th, 2004, 09:17 AM
Jack or Pete? Pete or Jack? Jete or Pack? Jate or Peck?

Hmm....
Let's see....
Well, in a non-shipper sense, I would think that Pete and Daniel are easier to compare, but that's just me. :S
Hmmm...

:D Well, I'd have to say Jack, in whatever sense, because we've had nearly eight years to see what kind of person he is. One-Ep Wonder is a nice guy, and David DeLuise seems SO nice and sweet, but Pete just doesn't do anything for me in a Jack vs. Pete competition.

;) I even like McKay more than him, and McKay isn't all that high on my "Cool Guys of the SGC" List.

Jack just has so many idosyncrasies (sp?) and mannerisms that make him one of the best-liked characters in the whole series. :p He's definitely set apart from the other cast at times (much to my dismay), but it works. :rolleyes:

:( In fact, I kinda think that Jack is an unfair advantage over Pete. There just isn't enough time left in the series for Pete to gain the credibility that is required for him to be compared to Jack.

And, just as he has nothing on Jack when it comes to a romantic relationship with Sam, he's got nothing on Daniel and Teal'c when it comes to being really good friends of hers either, just in case anyone was wondering.

Exclaimation Point
May 25th, 2004, 09:42 PM
I am just gonna keep this short. JACK!!!! :D

Even shorter:

Jack!!!

the dancer of spaz
May 27th, 2004, 09:53 PM
Even shorter:

Jack!!!

Yeah. I'm not known for my short answers. :rolleyes: Sorry.

GateSeeker2
May 27th, 2004, 10:04 PM
Pete? What a drip! :eek: Of course, it's Jack all the way!!!!! :)

astronomicalchick
May 28th, 2004, 04:57 AM
Well Pete's obviously a better fit for Shadow.

But for me, it'd have to be Jack. I think he'd fit into my house nicely and would take me to exciting places and make me laugh.

jex_piperUK
May 28th, 2004, 04:59 AM
Pete! At least Pete is the around the same age as Sam, and not around 50, which is more like her father's age. Urgh... *pukes* If Sam and a 50 year old was ever to get together it would be sooo disgusting, she would have to call him sir and everything...it would make me think of an incestuous relationship. :p

keshou
May 28th, 2004, 06:02 AM
I'm with ya' there, Kes. Daniel's the one for Sam! :)

hrh

Well now I didn't say *Daniel* was the right one for Sam, just that I'm not sure Pete or Jack are right for Sam. :) Daniel and Sam have a wonderful friend/sibling (IMO) relationship that I enjoy watching; wish we got to see more of it. Don't see any romantic spark there.

BTW, could be the show will end without Sam getting together with *anyone*. Not likely at this point, I'll grant you, but possible.

ShadowMaat
May 28th, 2004, 06:11 AM
BTW, could be the show will end without Sam getting together with *anyone*. Not likely at this point, I'll grant you, but possible.
Oh, but didn't you know, Kes? The only reason women watch the show is for the ship! No ship, no demographic. :P You gotta give the audience what it wants, and what it wants is Sam and Jack getting it on. ;) Anyone who disagrees with that obviously isn't watching the right show. :P

Sorry, did that come across as sarcastic? How strange...

flynn1959
May 28th, 2004, 11:48 AM
Pete of course ,then Sam can leave SG1 and get on with her life... marry ,raise kids ,keep house etc. etc.....and let the rest of the cast and us get back to Stargate, remember that show? Team together going through the gate exploring, meeting new people, mythology ,adventure .....God I miss THAT show.

Bagpuss
May 28th, 2004, 03:54 PM
Pete of course ,then Sam can leave SG1 and get on with her life... marry ,raise kids ,keep house etc. etc.....and let the rest of the cast and us get back to Stargate, remember that show? Team together going through the gate exploring, meeting new people, mythology ,adventure .....God I miss THAT show.

Hmmm.I miss the Team Eps too,but as far as I'm aware,Shippiness isn't the only item on the Menu for Season 8,so there's still hope. :)

If you really think Sam marrying Pete is a good solution,in order to just get her off the Team,sorry,but I disagree.I'd prefer No Romance at all,than for the PTB to write Sam Carter off as a Girlie Stereotype completely,and forget all the input she's given to the Show in her Scientist/Soldier Role.

If the PTB hadn't written all the Shippiness in,Sam would probably still be a valid team member for you...and quite a few others as well.

Or not.Up to you really. ;)

A bit of advice:
I don't think there's an "Anti-Sam Thread"available,on THIS Forum,as GW has a very Non-"Team/Actor Bashing" Policy according to the Forum rules......but there are loads of similar opinions to yours in the Ship Discussion Threads. There's also an Anti-Jack/Sam one too.These are "Protected" Threads,where you won't get Flak from anyone else outside those Zones.

Anywhere else is open season!

Hope you have fun around the Forum! :)

ShadowMaat
May 28th, 2004, 04:17 PM
I don't think there's an "Anti-Sam Thread"available,on THIS Forum,as GW has a very Non-"Team/Actor Bashing" Policy according to the Forum rules......
If there can be an anti Pete thread where folks are freee to vent their frustrations and (I assume) bash the character, then I don't see why someone couldn't start one for Sam. Or Jack, or Daniel...

Bagpuss
May 28th, 2004, 05:01 PM
Then no doubt Flynn, or someone else, can start one.

They may be best off, getting some advice from Darren or the Mods,first!!

I know there's an Anti Pete Thread,but he isn't a "Main Character",so I have no idea whether Anti-Sam/Daniel/Jack/Teal'c/Jonas might be allowed.

As long as they can confine any Anti-whomever stuff to just that Thread and related theme Threads,they can vent whatever bile they like,IMO ! :p

Any Non-Protected Threads are "Open Season" for everyone to fire back or whatever they wish. :)

I wasn't dissing Flynn's POV, by the way,just stating mine,while giving a New-comer some handy tips on where they'll be safe from attack from those among us who might take exception to their views.

For me, I still feel that PTB,not "Sam" is the real Beef.Others really seem to be looking at Sam/AT,or Jack/RDA,as the main Aunt Sally.No problem,IMO,if it's in the right Thread and the Poster isn't Trojan Horsing a grudge out of context to other themes all the time!

Roll on (Or Over!) Season 8, so we fans can Beef/praise ACTUAL SG-1 Episodes again.Or whatever!

stargate barbie
May 28th, 2004, 05:11 PM
wait a minute. SG-1 is a TEAM!? this i've gotta see :p

Elwe Singollo
May 28th, 2004, 05:25 PM
For a minute, i was thinking the samething :cool: , but then i got a headache... :o

Bagpuss
May 28th, 2004, 05:33 PM
wait a minute. SG-1 is a TEAM!? this i've gotta see :p

Was before the PTB started stirring Fans up!(Both Pro/Anti , J/S/ ,other, etc).

Will be again if they stop!

OK:Another option.Opt for selective Neutrality!

Yet another option:Trust the Holy Remote Control! ;)

Bagpuss
May 28th, 2004, 05:35 PM
For a minute, i was thinking the samething :cool: , but then i got a headache... :o

You and me both,Friend. ;)

*Passes over Virtual Dr Pepper and Virtual Painkillers*

Hope they help! :D

ShadowMaat
May 28th, 2004, 05:52 PM
but then i got a headache... :o
Atlantis is gonna tank.
Atlantis is gonna tank.
Atlantis is gonna t- oops, wrong thread. ;)

FH, I know you weren't dissing Flynn's POV, but I happen to be incredibly bitter about the existence of the anti-Pete thread and think it's a bit of a double standard that folks are free to bash Pete to death and back, but bash anyone else and they get shut right down.

Granted, it's probably because of that standard that I am not also offended by the existence of an anti-Jonas thread, but it still really irks me. Why not simply make it anti-Sam/Pate ship? Why make it specifically against Pete? It doesn't seem very fair OR very nice to me and I have to say I've been sorely tempted to start an anti-Jack thread in retaliation. And since I have genuine grievances against the character it isn't as if I'd be doing it entirely out of spite.

However, I haven't started that thread and I probably never will because I think it IS petty and spiteful to create a thread for the sole purpose of attacking someone (even a fictional character), because I know it would outrage a lot of people (hypocrites, if they post in the anti-Pete thread), and because it probably wouldn't see a lot of activity, other than myself. ;) Mostly, though, I don't do it because I like to think I'm a better person than that. Maybe I have grievances with Jack... and several other characters, but not enough to create a thread specifically designed for and devoted to hatred. Maybe I'm a hypocrite, myself, since I post actively in the anti-S/J ship thread, but that I see as being more of a complaint with story and character development rather than an attack against either or both characters. I do a fair amount of venting about why the characters bother me, but I don't resort to name-calling and I would NEVER wish death on a character. That is just sick in my opinion.

Back on topic, I still prefer Pete to Jack in most instances and I still firmly believe that he deserves a lot better than Sam.

Elwe Singollo
May 28th, 2004, 06:54 PM
Atlantis is gonna tank.
Atlantis is gonna tank.
Atlantis is gonna t- oops, wrong thread. ;) :) For a minute, i thought it was that thread, hahah... Lets see, my peference, ooo yes, back to the topic of discussion... I don't like Carter with anyone :), big fat period.

stargate barbie
May 28th, 2004, 07:30 PM
hey, if you want to start an anti jack thread go ahead. personally i'd say its okay to start an anti-*insert character name here* thread as long as they weren't main cast members, but whatever :p
if someone doesn't like the existence of a thread, then don't go there or post there.
someone could start an anti-kinsey or an anti-mckay thread for example and i wouldn't care. i may be inclined to start a pro-mckay thread, so that people could express why they like the character, but thats about it.

i'd suggest going to the rage thread but i'm not sure you'd ever stop :p it does help to relieve our stress, but i think you might explode :p

once again, in almost all possible interpretations of this question, i vote jack.

Bagpuss
May 28th, 2004, 11:20 PM
Headache! Entire subject! :(

I can see exactly what Shadow is getting at,and I understand you too!

That Recliner Of Rage Thread keeps looking better and better. ;)

Thank God I'm not a Mod!

the dancer of spaz
May 28th, 2004, 11:29 PM
FH, I know you weren't dissing Flynn's POV, but I happen to be incredibly bitter about the existence of the anti-Pete thread and think it's a bit of a double standard that folks are free to bash Pete to death and back, but bash anyone else and they get shut right down.

I haven't seen ANYONE get "shut right down" for their Sam-bashing, which has been going on for nearly a year now, might I add. Instead, the bashing seems to proliferate from "open season" thread to "open season" thread, spreading its awful negativity like a virus.

Too blunt?
Oh well.

Granted, it's probably because of that standard that I am not also offended by the existence of an anti-Jonas thread, but it still really irks me. Why not simply make it anti-Sam/Pate ship? Why make it specifically against Pete? It doesn't seem very fair OR very nice to me and I have to say I've been sorely tempted to start an anti-Jack thread in retaliation. And since I have genuine grievances against the character it isn't as if I'd be doing it entirely out of spite.

Do it... do it... do it... I think, as part of experimient, you should see how far it goes. The fact of the matter is, I think people are more likely to defend the "main characters" than they are the One-Ep Wonder. I've said that before, and I'll say it again. The more frequently visited threads are those that support the views of the masses (i.e. anti-Sam/Jack ship, PRO Sam/Jack ship, etc.) Because the belief in ship is pretty evenly split, it's OK to see either of these threads at the top of each category, because people are posting, and it makes sense. I don't really see an Anti-Jack thread going very far, as there's a thread specifically created for DROOLING over him, and, as far as I know, it's visited A LOT. :)

However, I haven't started that thread and I probably never will... for the sole purpose of attacking someone (even a fictional character), because I know it would outrage a lot of people (hypocrites, if they post in the anti-Pete thread), and because it probably wouldn't see a lot of activity, other than myself.

Case and point. ;)

Maybe I have grievances with Jack... and several other characters, but not enough to create a thread specifically designed for and devoted to hatred.

No. People don't *create* threads that are devoted to hatred, they just thread hop with posts specifically geared to be spiteful and hateful. It's not the same thing, but it's pretty dang close.

Maybe I'm a hypocrite, myself, since I post actively in the anti-S/J ship thread, but that I see as being more of a complaint with story and character development rather than an attack against either or both characters.

Maybe that's what it is FOR YOU, but I don't think it's the same for other ship-haters/dislikers. Vicious posting is the same (if not worse) than vicious thread-creating. :)

I do a fair amount of venting about why the characters bother me, but I don't resort to name-calling and I would NEVER wish death on a character. That is just sick in my opinion.

I've seen my share of name-calling, mud-slinging, and I have seen my share of death-wishing, and through it all, I've tried to remain calm, but the fact of the matter is, people are going to feel the way they feel. We can't control that. I don't wish death upon Pete. I like Sam/Jack ship. I also don't mind the way Sam's character has been handled these past years. And, for the record, I think she's a good soldier. That's me. Not everyone is going to like Pete or wish LIFE upon him, to speak, just like you aren't going to be tuning your vcr in for the "Stargate: SG-1 Reunion," where Sam and Jack get married. Different strokes for different folks, I suppose. People shouldn't be condemned for their feelings, but this double-standard crap is getting old.

Back on topic, I still prefer Pete to Jack in most instances and I still firmly believe that he deserves a lot better than Sam.

Maybe we should take a poll and see who thinks Pete is a better person than Sam. I'd like to see the results, and I mean that in all honesty.

Elwe Singollo
May 28th, 2004, 11:35 PM
Were all those quotes absolutely nescesary?

Bagpuss
May 28th, 2004, 11:46 PM
FHB sits in a Yoga Position (H### on the Knees!) and starts her Fave Mantra:

"It's all in the writing,etc."

Works for me! :D

Still voting Jack overall,but becoming fonder of Pete,as Characters.

No feelings over their worthiness re Sam,though. Waiting to see what comes out in the "Wash" in Season 8! :)

Bagpuss
May 28th, 2004, 11:51 PM

Done for clarity of reply,IMO! Loads of Posters do it.......

(Haven't figured out how to "Multi-quote" yet.My "Bad".)

*Passes over some more "virtual" Dr Pepper .*

Elwe Singollo
May 29th, 2004, 12:07 AM
:) Heheh...

flynn1959
May 29th, 2004, 01:53 AM
Believe it or not I am not anti Sam ,she used to be my favourite character.I am just sick to death of the way she is written now.
Sam was a strong well rounded likable person in the early seasons a true role model, now if I thought either of my girls were going to end up like her I would cry.Why the hell does it have to be Pete or Jack ? Why does she have to have a man in her life at all?
I'm not anti Sam I'm anti the whole idea of Sam as "the girl".

Sorry if I upset anyone.

Send Pete to Edora
May 29th, 2004, 05:25 AM
Look at my name and you know how I feel in that matter. :D But I want to say that even if Jack wouldn´t be there I wouldn´t like Pete. I just don´t like his character and that one episode was enough for me to see that. I´m not fond of the actor either ...although I´m pretty sure he´s a nice guy. But the acting and all doesn´t do a thing for me. I just love Jack! His character is great! I love his wicked sense of humour! And I´ll forget to mention how sexy that man is and how much I adore those lips! :D *drool*

Pete....well I don´t like him one bit! But he´s there and I have to deal with that. :D I know he´s there for a reason and everything will be okay in the end! :D

But Jack is #1 forever! Daniel gets a very, verly close 2nd place that he shares with Teal´c. :D Those gyus are just as great! You gotta love them!

Steffi ~ A Shipper on mission *weg*

ShadowMaat
May 29th, 2004, 05:53 AM
Oh, so THAT's what the Recliner of Rage thread is all about?? For some reason I was thinking it had something to do with Conan O'Brien and figured a lot of people had a lot to say about that Stargate skit of his...

I'm with FH. "It's all in the writing."

TPTB have performed the female equivalent of emasculating Carter, they've set Pete up to look like a stalker/"cloying boyfriend", they've dumbed down Jack almost to the point of unbelievability... yep, yep, yep. Thanks ever so much for killing everything I loved about the show, boys.

Elwe Singollo
May 29th, 2004, 08:32 AM
What other things 'did'/'do' u love about the show?

ShadowMaat
May 29th, 2004, 08:37 AM
What other things 'did'/'do' u love about the show?
I've posted a few things I loved in the Neutral Zone (http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=734) thread.

I know- or hope- that you're just trying to be inquisitive by asking me all these questions, LMJ, but I have to say, you're making me very defensive and I feel as if I'm being made to justify my reasons for being here.

Elwe Singollo
May 29th, 2004, 08:38 AM
Oh no, ahahah, i don't mean to, i just like your really in-depth answers, and they're interesting, although i don't agree with bits and pieces of what you say. I have no means of making you defensive. :) I'm just being an annoying 'question asker', haha...

stargate barbie
May 29th, 2004, 02:52 PM
aaahhh. i too am annoying :p

Elwe Singollo
May 29th, 2004, 03:03 PM
Hehe, that makes the two of us... :)

Bagpuss
May 29th, 2004, 03:40 PM
Believe it or not I am not anti Sam ,she used to be my favourite character.I am just sick to death of the way she is written now.
Sam was a strong well rounded likable person in the early seasons a true role model, now if I thought either of my girls were going to end up like her I would cry.Why the hell does it have to be Pete or Jack ? Why does she have to have a man in her life at all?
I'm not anti Sam I'm anti the whole idea of Sam as "the girl".

Sorry if I upset anyone.

Don't worry! You're just as entitled to state your POV as anyone else here!
A lot of people around this Forum share your views,and usually it comes down to differences of opinion over the Writing/Direction/Editing of the Storylines.
In my opinion anyway.....

You didn't upset me at all,and I truly hope you don't feel I attacked/upset you in any way! (I don't like Sam to be just "The Girl" either.)

If I did,I apologise too!

Anyway, in case nobody's done it already,Welcome to the Forum!! :D

the dancer of spaz
May 30th, 2004, 12:31 AM

Probably not, but I'm a huge nerd, so... :D

flynn1959
May 30th, 2004, 02:21 AM
Thankyou Bagpuss.

Elwe Singollo
May 30th, 2004, 07:16 AM
Probably not, but I'm a huge nerd, so... :D:D