Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

crystal technology...around the corner?

hi all!
    i stumbled on a cool article today about using salt crystals for data storage.

i wonder how long ago something like this was conjectured and if the writers knew about it, or just some curious coincidence!

well on our way to building alteran technology!

It's nice to be able to store a lot of data but how fast can that data be accessed?

Comment

Originally posted by Giantevilhead View Post
      It's nice to be able to store a lot of data but how fast can that data be accessed?
      good point!

it's not really clear, but it's possible the lasers are required to store the data in the first place...which leaves this on the curb at least until laser-based computing is, if it's ever, the norm.

ssd's are more than likely the future but i can't help smile at the possibility that we end up using crystal-based memory storage

Comment

i'm not sure of the potential, but DNA is much better at datastorage

Comment

A sugar-cube holding a terabyte, that is like a flash-drive holding two terabytes that will be amazing.
          http://epsilon.astroempires.com/?ref=E.94116

Comment

There are already projects for holographic storage with much higher densities than this article reports.

Besides, you guys are focusing on the wrong things. What's the typical operation frequency for todays' CPUs? About 2-3GHz? Do you know what frequency of visible light is? About 200,000 times higher. And with near UV, you can go significantly higher yet. An optical version of an early 80's 8 bit CPU would outperform modern supercomputers. Use modern architecture, add to this ability to multi-layer the cores, and the processing power becomes astronomical. That's why we need crystal tech.
            MWG Gate Network Simulation

Looks familiar?

Comment

Originally posted by antigravity View Post
              good point!

it's not really clear, but it's possible the lasers are required to store the data in the first place...which leaves this on the curb at least until laser-based computing is, if it's ever, the norm.

ssd's are more than likely the future but i can't help smile at the possibility that we end up using crystal-based memory storage
              thanks for posting the the thread it was a good read, but they said nothing at all about it being difficult to access the data or that they need lasers to store the data, they needed lasers to produce the salt crystals that is all, they would have stumbled across that problem if it where true and then they wouldn't have said it was huge potential...

Comment

Originally posted by thekillman View Post
                i'm not sure of the potential, but DNA is much better at datastorage
                lol you douche trust me in the future you want see people using DNA to store data...

Comment

except that overnight, DNA can be duplicated many millions of times without you having to pay attention.

i bet that once lasercomputers come along, this crystal storage technology will be used.

and recently light's equivalent of a diode was invented, so it's not THAT far away

Comment

First time I heard that an "optical equivalent of a diode was recently invented," I was learning to multiply. Seriously, until someone gets an actual optical processor built, don't hold your breath.
                    MWG Gate Network Simulation

Looks familiar?

Comment

there have been tests with an actual one.

before that thing fits into your computer...

Comment

there have been tests with an actual one.

before that thing fits into your computer...

Comment

Originally posted by kinseySG
                          thanks for posting the the thread it was a good read, but they said nothing at all about it being difficult to access the data or that they need lasers to store the data, they needed lasers to produce the salt crystals that is all, they would have stumbled across that problem if it where true and then they wouldn't have said it was huge potential...
                          hey kinseySG, glad you liked it! you're right... i wish it linked to the original study. TG Daily can be a nice digest of news but lacks depth of details.

Originally posted by K^2 View Post
                          There are already projects for holographic storage with much higher densities than this article reports.

Besides, you guys are focusing on the wrong things. What's the typical operation frequency for todays' CPUs? About 2-3GHz? Do you know what frequency of visible light is? About 200,000 times higher. And with near UV, you can go significantly higher yet. An optical version of an early 80's 8 bit CPU would outperform modern supercomputers. Use modern architecture, add to this ability to multi-layer the cores, and the processing power becomes astronomical. That's why we need crystal tech.
                          hey K2 (or is it K-sq'd?). thanks for the insight! i clearly don't know much about computer processing...how is the frequency (of the light, say) related to the rate of data processing?

i found this tutorial online (the first pdf link there) that goes into all this stuff. haven't read too far into it, but seems to be echoing what you're saying.

some neat stuff ahead!

Comment

Originally posted by antigravity View Post
                            hi all!
                            i stumbled on a cool article today about using salt crystals for data storage.

i wonder how long ago something like this was conjectured and if the writers knew about it, or just some curious coincidence!

well on our way to building alteran technology!
                            Well crystals as a method of storing data has be known about for decades, the tricky bit is producing the crystals, it seem like we may of finally solve that issue now, the rest should be relatively simply, as it just like burning a CD but in 3d instead of 2d. If this research reach it ends goals this will probably be one of the contenders for replacement of Blue ray disks, it sound like they could potentially be produce much cheaper than some of the other 3d storage base solutions out there already, which have astronomically high cost attach to them because they use high amount of rare elements to make them work. This seems to use much much cheaper materials. Here a other article.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/...st/8312286.stm

As for switching to a completly light base computers, it will be cool when we achieve it, through I think we are about thirty to fourty years away from it an it will probably not be completly light base.

I believe the UK is making advancement in that field to, here a article showing that we ahcieve out first calculations,

http://news.scotsman.com/scitech/Cal...ion.5617602.jp

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/8236943.stm

Of cause we all know this technology is actually already been developed from knowledge obtained from the Gould, an this is the way the IOA is introducing it to us without blowing the cover of the stargate project an give the technology a origin an not to appear out thin air.
                            Last edited by knowles2; 21 October 2009, 01:30 AM.

Comment

Of cause we all know this technology is actually already been developed from knowledge obtained from the Gould, an this is the way the IOA is introducing it to us without blowing the cover of the stargate project an give the technology a origin an not to appear out thin air.
                              Just like Tazers (Zats) and 3D TVs.
                              I just want to know where my reverse-engineered Goa'uld hand device is!
                              Science without religion is lame. Religion without science is blind. -Albert Einstein

I'm beginning to realize no one actually reads my posts.

Comment

Working...
                              X