• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Powering the Destiny

I don't know about anyone else, but I find it oddly suspicious
    spoilers for darkness
    Spoiler:
    that the Destiny miscalculated it's trajectory and went hurtling into the star. Maybe there was no miscalculation, and flying close to a star is it's way of replenishing it's energy reserves?

Stars are plentiful, so it won't run out of places to recharge, and it fits with the uncomplicated, down to earth tehcnology seen so far.

My guess is either it uses a fusion reactor(s), in which case it'll replenish it's hydrogen fuel, or some thermal/electromagnetic power generation system.
    Last edited by Skydiver; 19 October 2009, 05:13 PM.

It will probably have something to do with hydrogen, i mean what is the most abundant substance in a star? It would be obvious. There's plenty of stars, so plenty of fuel for that long long journey.

Sig by Draygon.

Comment

I think the destiny must have a way of recharging its batteries so to speak. They wouldnt build a ship to go THIS far and have it run out of power half way threw, without a backup system to get more power.

Comment

That was my thought as i watched the episode that it used the friction of going through the stars atmosphere to replenish some sort of power generator with the resources of the star, i kind of like the ideas of hydrogen, it is so plentiful in a star, it would make sense. lets just wait and see for the epi light because as the name implies, they must get lights

Comment

although i agree that the destiny most likely uses some sort of power source that it can replinish easily like some particles found in the sun, i find it strange that the destiny would allow its batteries to get so low before refueling.

one reason for that could be that it uses particles that can only be found in certain suns so it had to fly arond a little to find the right star so my guess is that the particles that it uses has to be slightly rare or one thats not found in every sun in the universe, but enough to make it easy enough to refuel.

that said, does every or most stars contain hydrogen? then if so i doubt that it would be run on hydrogen but perhaps some rarer substance.
          STARGATE ROCKS

THERE IS NO BETTER SHOW

Comment

If the ship needs hydrogen why didn't it just collect it while it was braking through the upper atmosphere of the gas giant? Gas giants are mostly hydrogen and helium both of which have usable isotopes for fusion power.

Or maybe it needs anti-matter. Small amounts are ejected during solar flares, and the star is a red dwarf. I read that red dwarfs are a lot more volatile than larger stars like our sun. So maybe the ship chose a red dwarf as it will have more solar flares thus ejecting more anti-matter.

Or maybe the writers just overlooked the gas giant thing.

Comment

actually a similar planet to that one is uranus, and it doesnt have tons of hydrogen

Comment

I has tons of methane, which for the purposes of fusion is the same thing.
                MWG Gate Network Simulation

Looks familiar?

Comment

maby it is solar powered and it need to charge its batorys by useing solar panels

Comment

Originally posted by guppy338 View Post
                    maby it is solar powered and it need to charge its batorys by useing solar panels
                    you're kidding right?

Comment

yes i was

Comment

Originally posted by stargater1990 View Post
                        although i agree that the destiny most likely uses some sort of power source that it can replinish easily like some particles found in the sun, i find it strange that the destiny would allow its batteries to get so low before refueling.

one reason for that could be that it uses particles that can only be found in certain suns so it had to fly arond a little to find the right star so my guess is that the particles that it uses has to be slightly rare or one thats not found in every sun in the universe, but enough to make it easy enough to refuel.

that said, does every or most stars contain hydrogen? then if so i doubt that it would be run on hydrogen but perhaps some rarer substance.
                        Perhaps the arrival of the Icarus team onboard the destiny meant that there was a greater drain on power than the destiny would have allocated for between refuelling stops.
                        sigpic

Comment

actually i think it does. well, if all else fails, good old solar power will atleast grant you some power.

Comment

Thekillman's right: Even Atlantis uses solar power according to "The Last Man"
                            Science without religion is lame. Religion without science is blind. -Albert Einstein

I'm beginning to realize no one actually reads my posts.

Comment

Originally posted by IcarusAbides View Post
                              Perhaps the arrival of the Icarus team onboard the destiny meant that there was a greater drain on power than the destiny would have allocated for between refuelling stops.
                              but if it was designed to eventually have a crew onboard it would most likely always be prepared for that role and if it let its power get low enough so that it barely had enough to sustain life support if it was called upon to perform its origional mission then that really wouldnt make sense.
                              STARGATE ROCKS

THERE IS NO BETTER SHOW

Comment

Working...
                              X