Is Rush to Gandalf?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is Rush to Gandalf?

I have always enjoyed the character of the all knowing wizard. That is not to say they don't mess up or that they aren't wrong but mostly it means they two things 1. A plan. 2. knowledge.

The plan
    Rush seems to be working to some end. Be it power, or treasure, maybe free middle earth. We don't know but watching him working the the point of breaking down reminds me Gandalf from lord of the rings always planing always working but always one step behind where he should be and its all about to fall apart in a moments notice.

The knowledge
    It is clear Rush knows more about this ship than anyone else. Part of the great wizard is only sharing as much as is needed and no more. He might not have all the pieces but he is way ahead of everyone else.

I ask the question because I like to know whats going on. With Sam or Mckay we as fans were always kept in the loop. Now we are in the dark sure our actors have clues but it seems clear Rush is the cornerstone that the crew will either live or die on. Its not bad in fact this kind of character can make a great story I'm getting used to the wizard of the stargate. And some might say that with all the techobable tied up in our silent wizard it allows more time for the characters to get to know each other in this tin can in space.
    "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Champagne in one hand - strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming WOW - What a RIDE!"

Well, Gandalf was basically the equivalent of an Ascended Ancient who decided to take human form again. So, in a lot of ways, he's like the Merlin from Stargate...

Yeah...I got nothing else to add.

Comment

fair enough Merlin is still more Gandalf than Rush will ever be. That said I meant more in the non-god/non-ascended ways which he acts. Gandalf is great character not because he welds great power non-stop but because has the power yet he finds ways to solves his problems without it. Rush just has the same vibe to me.
      "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Champagne in one hand - strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming WOW - What a RIDE!"

Comment

Rush is certainly the guy with the highest INT score. And he has the antisocial tendencies to a good stereotypical wizard.

Comment

Personally, I prefer my wizards to be on the sarcastic side, like Dresden, rather than on the grumpy old man side...

Comment

Originally posted by reddevil18 View Post
            Personally, I prefer my wizards to be on the sarcastic side, like Dresden, rather than on the grumpy old man side...
            I want my wizards to be wise and mysterious. And I wouldn't know about any simmilarities between Gandalf and Rush. I've never seen/read Lord of the Rings.
            sigpic

Comment

Well Rush certainly isn't Dumbledore!
              Secretary-General of GATO ¤ Defender of F.O.R.D.

Comment

Originally posted by EvilSpaceAlien View Post
                I've never seen/read Lord of the Rings.
                You need severe punishment.
                You make me sick!

Comment

You need severe punishment.
                  You make me sick!
                  Mission Accomplished
                  sigpic

Comment

You're as evil as Ikea, alright. Damn Swede...

Comment

You're as evil as Ikea, alright. Damn Swede...
                      Thanks for the compliment
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Night Marshal View Post
                        I have always enjoyed the character of the all knowing wizard. That is not to say they don't mess up or that they aren't wrong but mostly it means they two things 1. A plan. 2. knowledge.

The plan
                        Rush seems to be working to some end. Be it power, or treasure, maybe free middle earth. We don't know but watching him working the the point of breaking down reminds me Gandalf from lord of the rings always planing always working but always one step behind where he should be and its all about to fall apart in a moments notice.

The knowledge
                        It is clear Rush knows more about this ship than anyone else. Part of the great wizard is only sharing as much as is needed and no more. He might not have all the pieces but he is way ahead of everyone else.

I ask the question because I like to know whats going on. With Sam or Mckay we as fans were always kept in the loop. Now we are in the dark sure our actors have clues but it seems clear Rush is the cornerstone that the crew will either live or die on. Its not bad in fact this kind of character can make a great story I'm getting used to the wizard of the stargate. And some might say that with all the techobable tied up in our silent wizard it allows more time for the characters to get to know each other in this tin can in space.
                        This is the exact reason I like Rush. And I agree, but I think Rush is more of a "Roland the Gunslinger" than a Gandalf. I say that because, Roland the Gunslinger knows a lot...but like you said, things always kinda get out of hand. And just like The Dark Tower series, where the only reason I read the books was to learn about his Dark Tower. In Stargate Universe one of the reasons I watch it -- not the only reason thank god -- is to find out what Rush is after. Because you can tell when he was breaking down that he was angry...angry because his dream of being on the Destiny is slipping through his fingers. Kinda like Roland would if the Dark Tower was slipping through his fingers (I have only read books 1-4...so if such a thing happens, please dont tell me!).

So yea...

Comment

Originally posted by Night Marshal View Post

The plan

The knowledge

if we leave aside the fact that Gandalf is more sympathetic, more empathic, far more charismatic and does not share Rush's arrogance & egotism then yeah an accurate comparison can be drawn between the two :|

Comment

I don't really see him as Gandalf, more like what I think Saruman would have been like if he hadn't become evil. Saruman liked power and being in control, and while he was one of the good guys he tried to help people even though he believed that his way was the only way to do things. That's more of what I saw Rush as in this ep. He really did want to save the ship and everyone on board, but he also seemed to really believe that he was the only one qualified to fix the ship and only if everyone did things his way.
                            sigpic

Find your Destiny

Comment

Rush seems more like a Sirius Black or Severus Snape to me.

Comment

Working...
                              X