This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A Thought About Goa'uld Evolution

We all know that the Goa'uld originated from the waters of a planet. Their natural instinct appears to be to take a host (we saw the primitive goa'uld take that scientist (forget his name) as a host) and live on land.

Let's say the Goa'uld slowly do this over time. They build civilizations on the planet and such, when one day, one Goa'uld makes a discovery. The Stargate.

For years the Goa'uld study the gate. Now, keep in mind the Goa'uld right now have not had the God like powers yet, so they might be actually not that bad of people. Kind of like Earth is now? Sort of bad, sort of good, but mostly with good intentions?

The Goa'uld finally learn to use the Gate. They start traveling around. They want to find more advanced technology ( of course ), like Earth does.

Then they come across a race that is below them. Their weapons, armor, etc. makes the primitives think they are some type of a God. They take advantage of this.

We all know humans are well capable of corruption, very easily, very fast. Anyone remember the season 1 episode, "The First Commandment"?

I think this is an interesting theory. Earth and the ancient Goa'uld aren't so different afterall. They both probably had the same desire to obtain new, more powerful technology at any rate/cost. Overtime, the Goa'uld corrupted themselves and started impersonate gods more and more.
    Vae Victus - Livy

Makes sense.
    sum ergo cogitum
    I am therefore I think.

Comment

man, that was way too deep for the likes of me...

Comment

Tend to agree with your theories,Mike!

Sadly the more power humans get,the more corrupt they seem to become.No reason why the Goa'uld evolution shouldn't be similar in structure!

I've always seen the Goa'uld as similar to Hitler and Stalin, and other Dictators of that ilk.

To sum up: "Absolute power corrupts absolutely". (Can't remember source of that loose quotation)

The scientist's name was Dr Robert Rothman,btw.
        The place to "Gate" to during Outages for updates and info:

Comment

Originally posted by Supreme Commander Thor
          man, that was way too deep for the likes of me...
          That doesn't really say much though, does it?
          sum ergo cogitum
          I am therefore I think.

Comment

Originally posted by F.H.BAGPUSS

To sum up: "Absolute power corrupts absolutely". (Can't remember source of that loose quotation)
            Lord Acton, if memory serves.
            sum ergo cogitum
            I am therefore I think.

Comment

Probably!
              Thanks ,Champos!
              The place to "Gate" to during Outages for updates and info:

Comment

i like your theory and you could have it in this order:
                Humans-get tech but maintain morallity
                Rogue NID: Get tech whatever it takes
                Goa'uld: do what the hell we want we are GODS

this is how i see your theory translating into the modern world. The rogue NID are half-way to where the Goa'uld are today

Comment

Interesting thought.

I'd like to see a story arc where a couple rouge NID members have set themselves up as gods using stolen tech, and are sending the members of another race on a 'holy quest' to obtain new technologies.
                  Dark Helmet: So, Lone Starr, now you see that evil will always triumph because good is dumb.
                  Dark Helmet: No, it's not what you think. It's much, much worse!

Col. Sandurz: Prepare for light speed.
                  Dark Helmet: No, no, light speed is too slow.
                  Col. Sandurz: Light speed too slow?
                  Dark Helmet: Yes, we'll have to go right to...Ludicrous speed!
                  Col. Sandurz:Ludicrous speed! Sir, we've never gone that fast before. I don't think the ship can take it.
                  Dark Helmet: What's the matter, Colonel Sandurz...CHICKEN?!

Comment

Originally posted by Champos
                    Lord Acton, if memory serves.

I think it was Lord J.E. Acton, English historian, 1887
                    "Maybe one day you will learn that your way is not the only way!"

Visit Dr. Radek Zelenka's Complete Translations and thunk thread

All translations will be found in the first post of this thread, though i recommend to read the whole discussion ;]

Comment

Originally posted by Mike
                      We all know that the Goa'uld originated from the waters of a planet. Their natural instinct appears to be to take a host ... and live on land.

Let's say the Goa'uld slowly do this over time. They build civilizations on the planet and such, when one day, one Goa'uld makes a discovery. The Stargate.
                      I always figured the change happened rapidly. A gate on the Unas/Goa'uld homeworld indicates that the Ancients were more than visitors there. A goa'uld taking one unsuspecting Ancient as a host would have the gate/tech knowledge immediately. If that goa'uld was a queen who left behind spawn to blend with the Unas...well it would help explain their advancement from their little pond to the big galactic waters. My theory anyway.

The rest of the theory about how the goa'uld came to act like and believe themselves to be gods seems most reasonable. As does the idea of how humans could follow down the same path.

Comment

The Goa'uld are alot like the Yeerks in animorphs.
                        The Egyptian Cat God .

Comment

Originally posted by dorien
                          A goa'uld taking one unsuspecting Ancient as a host would have the gate/tech knowledge immediately.
                          That's what I thought had happened as well.
                          sigpic

Comment

It's an interesting theory, but remember that from a human perspective, the Goa'uld would always have been somewhat evil because they attain self-expression by hijacking the bodies of others. If you're Goa'uld of course, this is just survival, but to a host species it will look like evil.
                            Behold the majesty that is...GERALD!
                            - Read The Prophet's fan fiction at The Lost Vegas Public Library.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Prophet
                              It's an interesting theory, but remember that from a human perspective, the Goa'uld would always have been somewhat evil because they attain self-expression by hijacking the bodies of others. If you're Goa'uld of course, this is just survival, but to a host species it will look like evil.

yeah but its how the host is treated and how the gouald acts with other humans

Comment

Working...
                              X