Stealing Mass Effect music?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stealing Mass Effect music?

Was it just me or did the Darkness music sound an aweful lot like Mass Effect (A popular xbox 360 space drama, role playing game)? The long drowning tones as the ship was about to skim the atmosphere really gave it away. I'm not complaining cause I really liked it but I did think "Wow, this is like a complete musical knockoff from the same genre!"

Eh, I didnt really notice it...maybe a tad bit similar.

Comment

Can't say it sounded like it to me. Though it's been quite some time since I've played ME.
      Last edited by DigiFluid; 17 October 2009, 09:56 PM.
      "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Did it? I'll load up my copy. Yeay for mass effect for PC!

Comment

Originally posted by witter View Post
          Was it just me or did the Darkness music sound an aweful lot like Mass Effect (A popular xbox 360 space drama, role playing game)? The long drowning tones as the ship was about to skim the atmosphere really gave it away. I'm not complaining cause I really liked it but I did think "Wow, this is like a complete musical knockoff from the same genre!"
          If you could link to an example (maybe YouTube) from Mass Effect, then I'd be willing to compare the two by rewatching that part of the episode again.

I will say, though, that long, droning tones are something that almost every composer uses when wanting to portray a tense, suspenseful, or somber feeling in the music.
          Sig by Pandora's Box
          sigpic

Comment

I would say that the music is appropriately atmospheric in most places... but pretty much any context (video game or movie or tv show) going for that kinda music to set that kind of mood is going to use, or end up, with something pretty similar
            If you're wondering how he eats & breathes, and other science facts...(la! la! la!)
            Then repeat to yourself its just a show, I should really just relax.

I own "Future War"..I can put up with a lot

sigpic - Black Belt Test 10/24/2009 -

Comment

Well, I've replayed ME just recently, and I can say that music in SGU sounds quite similar to the game's score. But that was very good music!
              Last edited by Vagabond Serpent; 18 October 2009, 10:06 AM. Reason: HUGE grammar mistake was catched!
              Homo sum et nihil humani a me alienum puto, sic quod feci quod potui et sic potui, faciant meliora potentes. (c)

sigpic

Comment

Get your hands off of my music, you darned, dirty ape!

Comment

YES YES YES!!!! Finally someone else heard it too!!!
                  I brought this up in another thread a few days ago!!
                  Love it though...it suits it really well.

Comment

I dunno. I don't play games.
                    Even if it is, it's hard to call it stealing... maybe it served as an influence but it would be very hard to prove stealing...
                    - the guest member of SGU book club

Comment

Originally posted by latvian_stargatefan View Post
                      I dunno. I don't play games.
                      Even if it is, it's hard to call it stealing... maybe it served as an influence but it would be very hard to prove stealing...
                      Indeed, it would. Especially considering Joel has been composing for a very long time. Certainly longer than Mass Effect has been out. Composers often draw on previous work they've done for inspiration, so it could have come from there as well.

And most importantly (as I said before), a very generic motif of long, droning notes is something that all composers use to establish a certain mood.
                      Sig by Pandora's Box
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by witter View Post
                        Now I know why it was very familar to me...
                        I have FAUNTS and the rest of the sound track and I know it intimately.

Comment

Watch Blade Runner: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blade_runner#Soundtrack

The music is very much borrowed from Blade Runner. It's likely Mass Effect (although I haven't heard it) borrowed from Blade Runner as well.

Comment

In the next episode it turns out Destiny is a reaper.

Comment

Originally posted by Ouroboros View Post
                              In the next episode it turns out Destiny is a reaper.
                              That would be awesome, only if we can watch the epic scene where the Reaper reveals itself.

"I am beyond your comprehension, I am Destiny"
                              "You Exist because I allow it, You will end because I demand it"
                              "I am the vanguard of your destruction"
                              "Indeed"
                              sigpic
                              Banner Made By Me for Me
                              The Red Team proudly supports Stargate: Universe, Suck it Blue

Comment

Working...
                              X