The CGI team

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The CGI team

I just wanted to say the CGI team on SGU have really impressed me so far, I especially loved what they did in the latest episode 'Darkness'
    Spoiler:
    With the destiny passing through the planets atmosphere and the view on the observation deck

Anyone else agree?

Originally posted by kirmit View Post
    I just wanted to say the CGI team on SGU have really impressed me so far, I especially loved what they did in the latest episode 'Darkness'
    Spoiler:
    With the destiny passing through the planets atmosphere and the view on the observation deck

Anyone else agree?
    Yes, it was beautiful. I was also pleased to see that a sense of scale was maintained (see this for more explanationhttp://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.ph...NoSenseOfScale) and that the Destiny despite it's massive size looks very tiny next to the gas Giant.

Comment

Spoiler:

Anyone else agree?
      The quality of the CGI suprised me at first because it was much better than what we were used to with SG1 & SGA.

I liked the passing through the atmosphere as well. As The Mighty 6 Platoon has said, it's good that they have maintained a sense of scale.
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by EvilSpaceAlien View Post
        The quality of the CGI suprised me at first because it was much better than what we were used to with SG1 & SGA.

I liked the passing through the atmosphere as well. As The Mighty 6 Platoon has said, it's good that they have maintained a sense of scale.
        Yeash it was nice they kept the scale because on occaion they have buggered that up such as in Camelot. However that wasn't to bad especially compared to some examples such as Star Trek Voyager where in the credits alone the Voyager would be, in comparsion to planets, the size of a continent.

Comment

The CGI is very film quality, and a HUGE improved over SG1 and SGA. Although I still think those shows are better! Continuum had some great CGI that seems similar to this.

Comment

I thought something seemed odd. The ship was actually in proportion! lol

Comment

Yes, quite good so far. The part where they were looking at the gas giant from the observation deck was quite beautiful.

Comment

Spoiler:

Anyone else agree?
                It seems everybody else *but* me agrees with that. I think its been completely lackluster. Nothing impressive at all so far. A ship in space, yeah, seen that, done that, yawn. A really fuzzy ship -- oh its supposed to be in some atmosphere? I think i've seen better in fan films.

So far not impressed. I hope the CGI aliens will be better than that dust cloud which looked like an extra from SG1's 'Absolute Power'

Comment

While I do think the cgi is top notch, during the aerobraking I was a little disappointed because I was expecting to see a shockwave trailing the ship.

Comment

I agree. The CGI is very well done, it gives it an almost cinematic feel, and i love that. Because it's different to the almost childlike CGI of Stargate Atlantis, some of it just seemed a little fake, you know what i mean? they did great in SGA, but they've done even better in SGU. I am also more 'proud' of them for making it better. For example, for anyone who has watched Charmed, the first seasons had good CGI, then the final 2 seasons were purely terrible. I don't know if it was lack of money, or they just got tired of the show..but it was bad, and for SGU to make itself BETTER than its predecessors is an achievement in my books.

The ship travelling through the gas giant was good to see, and for the ship to be in proportion was good to see also, as these days, that is usually forgotten about.
                    Keep up' the good work SGU Crew!
                    sigpic

Comment

Personally, I think the CGI has been amazing thus far. I hope they keep it up throughout the season.
                      sigpic
                      MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
                      "...phu...ah..."
                      "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
                      Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

one of the main reasons brad fougt for a bigger budget. we're seeing stargate the way it should have been
                        https://twitter.com/#!/Solar_wind84

Comment

Originally posted by EvilSpaceAlien View Post

Now let's hope they keep it up.

Remember Atlantis is always claimed as being huge and sometimes the CG models represent it as such, other times it seems barely bigger than Anubis' Mothership.

Comment

Originally posted by Pharaoh Atem View Post
                            one of the main reasons brad fougt for a bigger budget. we're seeing stargate the way it should have been
                            Indeed. It's quite obvious their budget took a huge turn upwards for this series. Kinda makes one wonder how the city of Atlantis would've looked with this much money
                            sigpic
                            http://www.nerdtests.com/ft_space.php

Comment

You know, watching Sanctuary after SGU is a really bad idea. Even when there's not a lot of CG in SGU, the difference between the two is incredibly striking. I mean, sure Sanctuary has a smaller budget, but the second episode of season 2 has some horrible VFX. The integration of characters with the green screen sets was just awful, the worst they've ever done. And the CG troll or whatever looked like it came out of a late-90s videogame.

Honestly, the production values for SGU are great. The sets, the cinematography, music and VFX combine for something truly top-notch.

Comment

Working...
                              X