Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SGU Tech & Plot lacking

So, my thoughts.
    1) The FTL, may or may not be faster than Hyperspace, it could have been so power hungry that it was deemed not worth it in typical ships, but hyperspace travel could consume a fraction of the power??? Thoughts???
    2) If the communication stones cause minds to swap between bodies, then why is it that Carter, Zlenka, McKay etc have not been brought onboard in mind swaps with some useless crew members to help solve some of these ships problems?
    3) SGU seems like a Battlestar Galactica remake so far (with Baltar basically being Stasiak), part of what intrigues us with SCI FI is the concepts & thinking through all this wonderful technology, not the drama and soap opera that is being created.
    4) What good are stargates left on planets by seeder ships without DHDs, if inhabitants ever did occurr on a seeded planet, then how would they use the stargates and none are close enough to earth to dial?
    5)The ships sent way out MUST have a recharge ability, suns, nebulas, or something and the ability to collect necessary resources to fabricate stargates automatically, but with only a few gates per massive FTL jump, what is the point of a stargate network of four gates too far to reach from Pegasus or Milky Way other than seeding new life in other galaxies?
    6) The plot needs to speed up, less drama, more learning of secrets, tapping into a deeper ancients understanding and the roots of their technology and beliefs..

Originally posted by sg-theory View Post
    So, my thoughts.
    1) The FTL, may or may not be faster than Hyperspace, it could have been so power hungry that it was deemed not worth it in typical ships, but hyperspace travel could consume a fraction of the power??? Thoughts???
    It could be a ZPM thing. They might not have achieved hyperspace until they learned how to harness the power of subspace.

2) If the communication stones cause minds to swap between bodies, then why is it that Carter, Zlenka, McKay etc have not been brought onboard in mind swaps with some useless crew members to help solve some of these ships problems?
    Something I'd much rather have seen than Young going to visit his ex in yet another completely useless scene that goes on for too long - I mean, did she have to come outsided?

3) SGU seems like a Battlestar Galactica remake so far (with Baltar basically being Stasiak), part of what intrigues us with SCI FI is the concepts & thinking through all this wonderful technology, not the drama and soap opera that is being created.
    Right now, it seems like BSG meets Mindwalk. It ambles. I actually found myself talking to the screen saying, "Come on! Do something already!"

4) What good are stargates left on planets by seeder ships without DHDs, if inhabitants ever did occurr on a seeded planet, then how would they use the stargates and none are close enough to earth to dial?
    I don't believe the plan was to return to Earth from these seeded planets.

5)The ships sent way out MUST have a recharge ability, suns, nebulas, or something and the ability to collect necessary resources to fabricate stargates automatically, but with only a few gates per massive FTL jump, what is the point of a stargate network of four gates too far to reach from Pegasus or Milky Way other than seeding new life in other galaxies?
    Something tells me that in a million years, this has happened before. I could be wrong, but... it seems possible.
    Spoiler:
    Perhaps the course is actually correct and the ship will be gathering energy from the sun. Who knows... if they'd skipped some of the useless shots, we might have actually had an episode that went somewhere.

6) The plot needs to speed up, less drama, more learning of secrets, tapping into a deeper ancients understanding and the roots of their technology and beliefs..
    I agree. It's way to slow. There will be time to delve into who these people are in depth... that time is not now.

Comment

So, my thoughts.
      To answer your questions with some theries of my own in order:

1. FTL tech most likel pre-dates hyperdrive tech, Destiny tech pre-dates the ATA gene technology used in later technology used by the Ancients, such as Atlantis & the drone control systems, etc. We are yet ot find out how efficient it is compaired to a hyperdrive (faster than light is stil better than not going faster than light if you ask me).

2. Uber genuises like Carter, McKay & Zalaenka have their own issues/problems/assignments ot deal with. Carter is in command of the Hammond now & McKay & Zalenka are on Atlantis cloaked in the middle of the ocean looking into San Fran Bay & the Golden Gate bridge trying to repair Atlantis systems after the events of E.A.T.G. Whilst it would be useful having them there, no everyone is always available & whilst soMe cross overs would be nice/god; it doesn't need to happen right away & people aren't always available when needed/just becuase you think they should be there.

3. TPTB have stated they have drawn on BSG, Cloverfield & various other sources for inspiration when it comes to the story-telling, use of camera angles, sVFX, etc. Whilst comparisions are probably inevitable, I would like to think that SGU will destinguish itself from BSGC or other shows (even SG-1/SGA) & stand on it's own two legs. Give it a chance & watch the entire season, we're only 3 episodes in for crying out loud.

4. As we're yet to encounter any advanced alien races with the technology to creating DHD interfaces similar to the portable controls we've seen Eli use in Air, parts 2 & 3; I would hazard a guess & say that (1) the tech is very old & (2) maybe the Ancients didnt want any one species dominating any of the galaxies seeded by the Seder Ships with Stargates to ensure we don't have repeats of the or Goa'uuld (or maybe they just wanted the planets all to themselves ).

5. I am sure this will be addressed in the next episode, 'Light'. I think the Seeder Ships & the Destiny itself must have a way of recharging themselves/their power sources (& in the case of Seeder Ships, gathering resources to maunfacture Stargates). Watch next week's episode & find out.

6. SGU is more about drama/characters/story-telling; it's different to SG-1/SGA (which I happen to like! ) in that we're NOT being spoon-fed every detial, things don't always have a magic reset/fix button or a convient dues ex machina of the week & the episodes are more serialized in nature. I understand you want more answers, but the whole point of not giving them out straight away s to make it more enguaging & to get you to watch to ensure the series continues through viewership & ratings.

So sue me if I am wrong or you disagree, but that happens to be what I think.
      Last edited by akren; 17 October 2009, 12:55 AM.

Comment

part of what intrigues us with SCI FI is the concepts & thinking through all this wonderful technology, not the drama and soap opera that is being created.
        I'm sorry, but who exactly is "us" in this scenario? Because I'm most definitely a sci-fi fan, and I enjoy science-fiction with drama just as much as (if not more than) science-fiction with action and the exploration of tech/science.

There's more than one kind of sci-fi, and I don't think it's a good idea to act as a spokesperson for all sci-fi fans if you're going to completely ignore a huge portion of them...

Comment

Originally posted by Vapor View Post
          and I don't think it's a good idea to act as a spokesperson for all sci-fi fans if you're going to completely ignore a huge portion of them...
          not been here long then?
          sigpic
          EMBRACE DEMOCRACY, OR YOU WILL BE ERADICATED
          -Liberty Prime

Comment

So, my thoughts.
            If you're saying that the ship was slow because a lack of power, that could be a possibility, though I think the ship predates the development of hyperdrive technology.

Aside from having their own jobs/assignments, I don't want a new show to immediately bring characters from the previous shows in to solve all the problems. This isn't the Former SG Characters on the Destiny Variety Hour.

There are similarities, but it's not a remake.

Simple. They can't . And that's the way the Ancients wanted it. If they had wanted DHDs on the planet, they would have programmed the seeding ships to make DHDs too.

Spoiler:
            That's probably what next week's episode is about. It's not an accident that the Destiny is headed right for a sun

Tough to do when survival is the priority at this point.
            I'm not an actor. I just play one on TV.

Comment

Originally posted by rlr149 View Post
              not been here long then?
              ^_^;

Comment

The technology is just a way to introduce drama amongst the characters.

Comment

I think its a plot hole and cop out that they don't get a 'expert' on board to help repair and figure things out.

They have hundreds of people I am sure that understand ancient tech now, it could be a no body that helps with things, when the few people they have, have to sleep.

You can't tell me that a lot of the non-life threatening things that McKay/Carter and such are working on are more important than people trapped and in danger of dying are more important.

They just wanted a way to add to the story, but not use it to solve their problems....Thats why I call it a plot hole. I try to overlook it, but its a very large plot hole imo. I usually am good at just being entertained and not questioning everything, but this one is pretty bad imo.

Also, this ship seems to have a lot more safe guards and AI than newer Lantian tech imo, its very convienient, and how they can't get into anything. I almost guarantee if they could break McKay away for a day, they would have control of the ship....

I think the show would of been much better off without the communication crystals...atleast plot hole wise....

Comment

So, my thoughts.
                    the FTL was the last to go. i think it's a far more powerefficient device that is slower. when the ancients discovered pretty much free energy, they could use immensely powerwasting technologies.

the problem is not technical, it's physical. they need physical fuel and supplies, not brilliant minds. besides, the ones you mentioned have primarily field experience, while all those years, Rush easily could've been in Area 51, learning far more about the actual workings of things rather than the operation.

i really need to go watch BSG if everyone thing it's so alike.

this is not galactic charity. the gates are there so the destiny can explore easily, not to lay the foundation of an intergalactic transport network. the evil that it can do is just too immense

exploration of these far away planets. any worthy alien species could figure out the gate itself and use more power to dial further

even now the writers are already saying that they simply do not have enough time. if we knew everything in 4 episodes, what fun is it?

Comment

"Its about the characters STUPID!"

/*activates Sodan cloak*
                      sigpic
                      Save Mallozzi's Mailbag!

Comment

So, my thoughts.
                        Ok ok. Let me guess this straight. Baltar = Stasiak aka Greer (Since they changed his name after casting). Baltar is nothing like Greer. Greer is a soldier and has big temper problems. S<snip>

Comment

Originally posted by akren View Post
                          To answer your questions with some theries of my own in order:

4. As we're yet to encounter any advanced alien races with the technology to creating DHD interfaces similar to the portable controls we've seen Eli use in Air, parts 2 & 3; I would hazard a guess & say that (1) the tech is very old & (2) maybe the Ancients didnt want any one species dominating any of the galaxies seeded by the Seder Ships with Stargates to ensure we don't have repeats of the or Goa'uuld (or maybe they just wanted the planets all to themselves ).
                          Concidering the age of the Destiny and the seeder ship they obiovusly didnt skip the DHD because of the Goa'uld or the Wraith since both of these races emerged within the last 10.000-20.000 years while the Seeder/Destiny dates back millions of years.

My take on the lack of a DHD is that they were seeding the gates for their own exploration and possibly if there were any other advanced enough races out there they would figure it out on their own.

Originally posted by TonyB1972
                          I think the show would of been much better off without the communication crystals...atleast plot hole wise....
                          Agreed, having them get those stones with them to the Destiny was just crap tbh.
                          Last edited by MathiasE; 17 October 2009, 05:48 AM.
                          Daniel to Thor: Wait, you're actually saying you need someone dumber then you are?
                          Jack: You may have come to the right place.

Comment

Originally posted by entspeak View Post
                            It could be a ZPM thing. They might not have achieved hyperspace until they learned how to harness the power of subspace.

Something I'd much rather have seen than Young going to visit his ex in yet another completely useless scene that goes on for too long - I mean, did she have to come outsided?

Right now, it seems like BSG meets Mindwalk. It ambles. I actually found myself talking to the screen saying, "Come on! Do something already!"

I don't believe the plan was to return to Earth from these seeded planets.

Something tells me that in a million years, this has happened before. I could be wrong, but... it seems possible.
                            Spoiler:
                            Perhaps the course is actually correct and the ship will be gathering energy from the sun. Who knows... if they'd skipped some of the useless shots, we might have actually had an episode that went somewhere.

I agree. It's way to slow. There will be time to delve into who these people are in depth... that time is not now.
                            If I wanted drama i would watch law and order. You cannot use the crystal ifyou are not going to talk to mckay/or carter

Comment

Originally posted by stargallatica View Post
                              If I wanted drama i would watch law and order. You cannot use the crystal ifyou are not going to talk to mckay/or carter
                              but one can argue that "real Sci Fi" includes drama.

anyone else here thinks that the ship is in a way "Alive"?
                              By Nolamom
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X