Stargate Verite

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stargate Verite

I'm normally a fan of this type of cinematography when used subtly, and if it suits a particular scene and it compliments the emotion of that scene, or even emphasizes it.
    Tonight's episode Darkness was a bit too heavy with the verite. it feels like a bludgeon to me at times, and i know a lot of dark and serious shows, or shows going for that type of feel like to go gritty by going verite, but some of the surveiilance shots (the one of young and his wife from like a neighbour's window) and the quick zooms seemed way out of place and contradicted what the actors were doing.
    The jury is still out on this for me. I've never been comfortable with people who can afford a tripod or high end stabilization system using instability for the sake of style over creative substance and strategy.
    yeah i know i get it. they're off on a ship and things are unstable, and you want to emphasize this, but please use some more discretion here. it was too much tonight!!!
    I miss Orilla.

one of my big complaints about bsg was what I lovingly refer to as "shaky camera syndrome"

Some of them are ok from time to time for special effects shots...often times not. I want to be able to see the special effect, not go "dang it pan back to the shot".

For filming...meh...its ok...I think Heroes pt 1 and 2 in SG-1 pretty much summed up how it should be used.

Comment

Is "verite" a way of describing the hand-held shooting style that SGU is now filmed in? If so, I must say that it does nothing but add to the overall product for me...as I never notice it.

So far, I'm liking it
      Sig by Pandora's Box
      sigpic

Comment

I think I'm getting used to it, because I pretty much did not notice it this episode.

Comment

Originally posted by Coronach View Post
          Is "verite" a way of describing the hand-held shooting style that SGU is now filmed in? If so, I must say that it does nothing but add to the overall product for me...as I never notice it.

So far, I'm liking it
          yeah verite is used more in documentary films, but its utilized to give more real effect, to amplify the fictional. i guess i notice it so much because i make films, and i like to think about why this here, and oh, why do that there? i guess if it fits for most then that's all that matters. i guess it smacks of a lot of other shows that have gone this road and there isn't really anything distinctive about SGU's employments of this technique...just maybe too much of it.
          I miss Orilla.

Comment

It's a matter of taste. I happen to like the style, but I can certainly get why some people don't like it, especially if they aren't familiar with or or haven't seen it before.
            I'm not an actor. I just play one on TV.

Comment

This style of film making is an excellent way to gain a more personal feel, which is important in a character driven show like Universe. As a Television/Film student I really appreciate the new approach to Stargate and hope to see it continue.

Comment

I like the fact that we are seeing some different videography from the directors. I wonder if this is something that is going to be done across the board or if this is something unique to the directors of each episode. Peter in "darkness" did not appear to use nearly as much verite as was in Air.

Comment

Working...
                X