Stargate in hyperspace

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stargate in hyperspace

In Redemption part 2; they attach the Stargate to x-302 and fly with it through a hyperspace window for 1 second to get it far enough from earth, so, you know, it doesn't kill everyone.

So, the Stargate can have an open wormhole while in hyperspace?
    sigpic

Humm...Interesting I'd never thought about it before. I know a stargate can't be dialled while in hyperspace, but if its already active, I don't know.
    "So, what's your impression of Alar?"
    "That he is concealing something."
    "Like what?"
    "I am unsure. He is concealing it."

"Well, according to Einstein’s General Theory of Relativity, there’s nothing in the laws of physics to prevent it. Extremely difficult to achieve, mind you – you need the technology to manipulate black holes to create wormholes not only through points in space but time."
    "Not to mention a really nice DeLorean."
    "Don’t even get me started on that movie!"
    "I liked that movie!"

Comment

Originally posted by Edi View Post
      In Redemption part 2; they attach the Stargate to x-302 and fly with it through a hyperspace window for 1 second to get it far enough from earth, so, you know, it doesn't kill everyone.

So, the Stargate can have an open wormhole while in hyperspace?
      no, it cant but the energy levels in the gate reached critical almost the same time that the ship went into hyperspace so even though the wormhole shutdown, the damage was done and it still blew up.
      STARGATE ROCKS

THERE IS NO BETTER SHOW

Comment

I am thinking that when in hyperspace, you cannot connect, but if already established and enough power is there, it can maintain while in hyperspace... Plus since it was so short and the distance was not that much (heck it was barely father than the moon) the wormhole was still attached.

Comment

question is: why would a wormhole not be capable in subspace? its essentially a tunnel between two points, why cant one end be in subspace?

infact, where was it stated that a connection is impossible in hyperspace?

the only thing i can remember is that because you are moving in hyperspace, the POO changes constantly, and if you're dialling, the adress would constantly change.

still, the jump was within the solar system so at least it was within range of the adress

Comment

Look: wormhole

The squared sheet is space-time. The empty space around it and between them is sub-space. The wormhole itself essentially goes through the sub-space, yes, but if one end of the wormhole would be in subspace it would either suck the universe through the gate in the infinite sub-space or the connection would be unstable and break, disconnecting the gate.
            How could it even have a "mouth" in subspace?

Ofcourse, what do I know? Its just theoretical physics and we really have just a clue of how it works, nothing more.
            sigpic

Comment

No. "Space" around it isn't subspace. In fact, there isn't any "space" around it. The picture you are linking is an embedded diagram of a manifold. A general wormhole cannot even be embedded into a finite-dimensional space. And even when it can, like in this simplified case, the embedding space is meaningless. It exists merely for representation of the manifold as a human-recognizable picture.

Whether or not you'd be able to establish a wormhole to a hyperspace depends on what exactly hyperspace is.
              MWG Gate Network Simulation

Looks familiar?

Comment

No. "Space" around it isn't subspace. In fact, there isn't any "space" around it. The picture you are linking is an embedded diagram of a manifold. A general wormhole cannot even be embedded into a finite-dimensional space. And even when it can, like in this simplified case, the embedding space is meaningless. It exists merely for representation of the manifold as a human-recognizable picture.

Whether or not you'd be able to establish a wormhole to a hyperspace depends on what exactly hyperspace is.

Looks familiar?

Comment

Well, yes, its a interpretation for a human-recognizable picture, but the idea stays the same. A wormhole leads from space to space through the subspace/ hyperspace, witch is not space-time, so "around" or "below" space-time.
                  Ofcourse it doesn't look exactly like that, ofc., there isn't any "space" around space-time and that's why its sub-space/hyperspace. That picture shows a way to imagine atleast to some degree.

The stargater1990 's explanation seems more plausible.
                  But then again, they would have to know exactly when it will blow up, otherwise they ware either lucky, or didn't know that entering hyperspace with active gate would cause... problems.
                  sigpic

Comment

imagine the same with two planes/sheets. then you have a tunnel from the top to the bottom.

exactly the same as your wormhole, except that this one would lead to subspace.

Comment

Ok, so I don't get the picture you are describing, but even if it does lead to sub-space, would it be stable??
                      I think not.
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Edi View Post
                        A wormhole leads from space to space through the subspace/ hyperspace, witch is not space-time, so "around" or "below" space-time.
                        No, it does not. It doesn't lead through anything. Our space-time is not embedded in any higher space. It is just a manifold. Wormhole is an area of space-time that connects two areas of relatively flat space-time. That's all.

There is no actual geometry to the space-time. There is only differential geometry. For example, consider a black hole. The space in radial direction near a black hole stretches out. If you try to represent that as a surface in 3-space, to have that stretching in radial direction, you have to make it into a funnel, but that's just a representation. It doesn't mean that the space-time actually sticks out of the original "plane". It doesn't go into "sub-space", or anything like that. It is still a part of our normal space but with a different differential geometry.

A wormhole consists of a change in both the differential geometry and in topology. It is a different topology of space that lets you have an alternative path, and differential geometry that lets that path be shorter. But all that changes is the relation between neighboring points. There is no actual funnel that goes from one area of space-time to the other.

Looks familiar?

Comment

Working...
                        X