Faster than Light Travel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Faster than Light Travel

I understand that the show is a fantasy show and can bend the normal laws of physics.

Like FTL travel in real life this is not possible based on Einstein Special Theory of Relativity.

I am wondering though if the show was going to use some of the side effects that come with traveling at FTL. One of these effects is that those traveling at the speed of light age drastically different than those standing on earth.

For reference material here are a few links.
    http://www.daviddarling.info/encyclo...fects.html#top

http://physics.suite101.com/article....speed_of_light

Again I understand that this is a Fantasy show and that gives them certain artistic license. I just thought that this would be an interesting way of allowing the crew to get back home. The could travel for thousands of years and age very little.

This is not unprecedented for Stargate. In Stargate Atlantis riding back to the Pegasus Galaxy they encountered the Ancients traveling at .9999 the speed of light. The Ancients had survived so long because they were traveling so close to the speed of light.

Just a thought and with SG already have precedent in SGA I was wondering if they were going to have it play a part.

Thanks

Probably not seeing as they seem to have regular contact with earth using the stones. Therefore unless they show time passing much much much much faster on Earth than on the Destiny then it won't work......and they haven't so far so hopefully not otherwise that would be a plot hole of gargantuane proportions. However just because they are travelling using FTL it doesn't mean that they are travelling faster than light within normal space. Hyperdrive is FTL it's just that they travel within subspace which takes reletivity out of the equation. It has been stated that the FTL drive on Destiny isn't hyperspace, but that doesn't discount them being in some other layer of subspace. Travelling in a seperate dimension to what we see in hyperdrive, allowing the destiny to travel faster (or not as the case may be) to what we see with most stargate ships.
    Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnR View Post
      I understand that the show is a fantasy show and can bend the normal laws of physics.

Like FTL travel in real life this is not possible based on Einstein Special Theory of Relativity.

I am wondering though if the show was going to use some of the side effects that come with traveling at FTL. One of these effects is that those traveling at the speed of light age drastically different than those standing on earth.

For reference material here are a few links.
      http://www.daviddarling.info/encyclo...fects.html#top

http://physics.suite101.com/article....speed_of_light

Again I understand that this is a Fantasy show and that gives them certain artistic license. I just thought that this would be an interesting way of allowing the crew to get back home. The could travel for thousands of years and age very little.

This is not unprecedented for Stargate. In Stargate Atlantis riding back to the Pegasus Galaxy they encountered the Ancients traveling at .9999 the speed of light. The Ancients had survived so long because they were traveling so close to the speed of light.

Just a thought and with SG already have precedent in SGA I was wondering if they were going to have it play a part.

Thanks
      from what i understand that is Einstein's theory which has yet to be proven yet...(i might be wrong lol) but also from what i figure is that the speed of light can differ depending on its source and its path. like if you look at a reflection of tv/computer monitor from sunglasses you can see it flicker...(just an observation i had)

Comment

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alcubierre_drive

If I were a betting man, and hoping the writers know about this, then this is what I would bet on. With this FTL drive, you could avoid relativistic effects of time.

For those who want the simple version, Alcubierre came up with this idea for traveling faster than light with a "warp bubble." Space is contracted in front of it, and expanded behind it. Essentially, the ship itself wouldn't move, but rather space would move around it.

The fun stuff:
        It would mean no g-forces for the crew
        No time effects that people would normally experience as they approach the speed of light
        Doesn't violate Einstein's theories nor physics

The bad:
        Requires creation of exotic matter that we don't know how to make
        Some various other conditions need to worked out

So it's theoretical right now, and science says it may not be likely, but we can't really test it right now and can't rule it out, so it could be possible.

What I've seen of the destiny, seems to point to this, even if the writers never say.

Comment

Why is it so hard for people just to accept that it's some form of warp drive like in Star Trek? Why does it need to be a plothole that they don't experience relativity..? I don't recall anyone screaming about that in regards to Trek before.
          Click the banner or episode links to visit the virtual continuations of Stargate!
          Previous Episode: 11x03 "Shore Leave" | Previous Episode: 6x04 "Nightfall" | Now Airing: 3x06 "Eldest"

Comment

Well, the Ancient is the most advance race in Milky Way and Pegasus, may be the whole universe, so I think Einstein theory simply doesn't apply to their techonology

Comment

Originally posted by s09119 View Post
              Why is it so hard for people just to accept that it's some form of warp drive like in Star Trek? Why does it need to be a plothole that they don't experience relativity..? I don't recall anyone screaming about that in regards to Trek before.
              The amusing thing is, if you had read the wiki article, it's been hinted that the Star Trek Warp drive *is* a form of the Alcubierre drive. Scroll to the bottom. ;p

I can't speak for others, but I'm a scientist. That means that it's my nature to want to figure out how things work. So I'll look for explanations that fit.

Comment

Originally posted by rukia View Post
                Well, the Ancient is the most advance race in Milky Way and Pegasus, may be the whole universe, so I think Einstein theory simply doesn't apply to their techonology
                Einstein was an ancient.

Comment

Originally posted by Kaiphantom View Post
                  The amusing thing is, if you had read the wiki article, it's been hinted that the Star Trek Warp drive *is* a form of the Alcubierre drive. Scroll to the bottom. ;p

I can't speak for others, but I'm a scientist. That means that it's my nature to want to figure out how things work. So I'll look for explanations that fit.
                  ...and yet, the name most people know it by is "Warp Drive," hence me saying that. I'm well-aware of what an Alcubierre drive is theoretically supposed to do, scientist or not. Gotta love History/Discovery/Science Channel!

And I like seeing explanations that fit, too, but sometimes it makes it more enjoyable to just accept the technobabble or the simple term.+
                  Click the banner or episode links to visit the virtual continuations of Stargate!
                  Previous Episode: 11x03 "Shore Leave" | Previous Episode: 6x04 "Nightfall" | Now Airing: 3x06 "Eldest"

Comment

Erm, Seeder Ships... maybe they did more than just seed stargates? Read the wiki article above, look for "railroads", etc.
                    Mongoletsi is bigger than hip...hop...

Comment

you also seem to forget that time dialation requires a 'light' clock or any other measure of passage of something.

when your ability exceeds that measurement, then you need a better clock.

look at the time theory they use. they are saying that light is the fastest thing, well its obviously not if your going faster right?

thats like assuming sound was the barrier, imagine if clocks were based off sound, every freaking clock in the world would be off...

and atomic clocks are no better, they are still susceptable to physics in the 'slower' than light sense.

in fact absolute zero means a atom doesnt move doesnt vibrate doesnt do anything there is absolutely no energy. so for a atomic clock the colder you got the more and more and more it would be off. (but at the same time the atom wouldnt age)

this is true for faster than light travel.

you are exiting outside the realm of clocks, outside of our precieved time, but that doesnt mean time stops, we invented time to measure a passage of events.

so anything that would happen at sub light speed wouldnt happen at ftl speed in theory.

pick your theory on ftl ability. since its not hyperspace, meaning its traveling on a different plane that subspace, its got to be another means.

we also know that it has to travel faster than light. or else they couldnt get there, they are what 'billions' of light years away, considering pegasus is million...

in fact the show tries to state that while the ship was released before the gene technology, it was also released during the height of their advancement. any drive that is in that thing has to be either just as fast, or has a power source many many times more powerfull than a zpm since it has been constantly jumping shields laying stargates the list goes on

Comment

Has anyone thought that there might be a time dioation device creating a feald around the ship speeding up time. Which that would account why time is not any different on the ship and Earth.

Or it can be explaind by Jack O'Neil "magnets"
                        Science fiction is an existential metaphor that allows us to tell stories about the human condition. Isaac Asimov once said, "Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if are to be saved at all."

Comment

Originally posted by Azreth View Post
                          Has anyone thought that there might be a time dioation device creating a feald around the ship speeding up time. Which that would account why time is not any different on the ship and Earth.
                          That could explain

Spoiler:
                          the glitch with the stones they experienced in "Life" when they dropped out of FTL. The shift in the EM field caused by the dilation field dropping could have thrown the system off.

Comment

Working...
                          X