No wormhole Pros cons ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No wormhole Pros cons ?

Has anyone else noticed that there has been no wormhole in this season so far ?
    do you think they will bring it in ?

discuss pros and cons concerning not showing the wormhole ?

To clarify, you mean the animation involving travel through a Stargate?
    It's been three episodes and only a few Stargate trips. Wait and see.
    ~ When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade. Make life take back the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons! What am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! WITH THE LEMONS! I'm gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that BURNS YOUR HOUSE DOWN! ~

~ Burning people! He says what we're all thinking! ~

Comment

i was going to say, only if an episode runs short, but what am i thinking, if it runs short that will mean more ad time
      Spoiler:
      Disclaimer:
      I have been using this username since 1998, it has no connection to "The Last Airbender", or James Cameron's movie.
      Quotes!
      - "Things will not calm down, Daniel Jackson, they will in fact calm up!"
      - "I hope you like Guinness Sir, I find it a refreshing alternative to... food"
      - "I'm Beginning to regret staying up late to watch "Deuce Bigalow: European Gigalo" last night... Check that, i regretted it almost immediately"
      sigpic

Comment

My theory is that they decided to eliminate the stargate wormhole graphic to allow for more story/drama/commercial time. We might see the wormhole graphic on special occasions where it is necessary to the story, like a wormhole malfunction or some other unusual occurrence. In the past, they cued us viewers to wormhole anomalies by a change in wormhole color and/or pattern, like when there was time travel (solar flare proximity) or when the timeline was altered like in the Continuum movie.

When I've read some of the filming notes for each episode in the GateWorld episode guide, they occasionally mention that they have lots more story filmed than will fit into one episode, that they either needed to cut or to expand into another episode. Notice that they crammed lots of low drama technical activities (like cleaning and resetting a CO2 scrubber) along with shots of the passengers breathing easier at the end of Air part 3 during the "Don't Forget to Breathe" song. I wish they had cut some of the desert walking scenes instead. If I were in that desert situation, instead of walking for miles to look for exposed lime I would just look for the lowest and flattest areas and then do a little digging with the shovel to move the wind blown surface sand before testing for lime.
        There is no spoon...

Comment

Unless the gate malfunctioned I always thought of it as shoe leather. And as pointed out they had a lot to cover so it was probably cut or never done.

Comment

Originally posted by AnonyMoose View Post
            I wish they had cut some of the desert walking scenes instead. If I were in that desert situation, instead of walking for miles to look for exposed lime I would just look for the lowest and flattest areas and then do a little digging with the shovel to move the wind blown surface sand before testing for lime.
            Totally agree with the other stuff you'd said, but the "walking about" was vital to establish the sheer enormity of the search area, and the hostile conditions - you need to do a lot of it in order to find a high area... to find a low area. Etc.

Anyway, anybody think it's a cop out that in early SG-1 people would be coated in "ice" and feel "odd" after going through, and now... nada?
            Mongoletsi is bigger than hip...hop...

Comment

Originally posted by Mongoletsi View Post
              Anyway, anybody think it's a cop out that in early SG-1 people would be coated in "ice" and feel "odd" after going through, and now... nada?
              Concidering we know why that happened and how they fixed it, no, I don't think it feels like a cop out..
              And since the gates in SGU are shortrange only they wouldn't feel those effects even if the gates werent synchronized.
              Daniel to Thor: Wait, you're actually saying you need someone dumber then you are?
              Jack: You may have come to the right place.

Comment

Originally posted by Valos Cor View Post
                Has anyone else noticed that there has been no wormhole in this season so far ?
                do you think they will bring it in ?

discuss pros and cons concerning not showing the wormhole ?
                The wormhole was shown in the first episode when they went through Icarus base gate.

Comment

Was not the worm hole going to be purple for SGU? I recall that rumour going around a while back.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/carpentersam/
                  MY ARTWORK -- ALL SIGNATURES BY HERMIIOD

Comment

They explained why this was fixed.

Comment

Like everyone else said, they fixed it.
                      tsk tsk...
                      and you call yourself a fan
                      By Nolamom
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by kirmit View Post
                        The wormhole was shown in the first episode when they went through Icarus base gate.
                        No, they didn't. They showed the puddle, and the kawoosh, but not the travel tunnel that sometimes accompanied it in SG-1 and SGA.

Comment

Can people perhaps tell me how it was fixed then? Bunch of smart arses (in the nicest possible way! xxx)
                          Mongoletsi is bigger than hip...hop...

Comment

Actually, the specific reasons why travelers occasionally exit roughly and chilled out of a gate are discussed in several different episodes in the SG1 series. The writers have kept these effects very consistent with those reasons throughout the entire franchise from the original Stargate movie and the very first SG1 series episode "Children of the Gods".

Incidentally, the "frost" is actually vaporized hot wax. You can see the filming of one of the other rough gate exits in these two behind-the-scenes videos when they filmed Stargate SG-1 Season 5 "Red Sky".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gGeFpFxb8no
                            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwIyD4NXYZw
                            Last edited by AnonyMoose; 20 October 2009, 08:53 PM.
                            There is no spoon...

Comment

Can people perhaps tell me how it was fixed then? Bunch of smart arses (in the nicest possible way! xxx)
                              IIRC, that effect was explained as being a result of slight variations in planet position. IOW, drift over time led to slight alignment issues and since Earth didn't have a DHD, those issues were not automatically corrected for. Better programming of the dialing computer made those issues 'go away'
                              If you're wondering how he eats & breathes, and other science facts...(la! la! la!)
                              Then repeat to yourself its just a show, I should really just relax.

I own "Future War"..I can put up with a lot

sigpic - Black Belt Test 10/24/2009 -

Comment

Working...
                              X