Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why didn't the expedition bring goa'uld tech along?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why didn't the expedition bring goa'uld tech along?

Anyone else wondering why no zat guns, staff weapons, etc. were brought along on the Atlantis expedition? One would think that, if one was to send "Earth's best and brightest" to secure a vital repository of advanced technology, one would send along the best Earth had to offer at the time. With the exception of naquadah reactors, I haven't seen any other indication that the Atlantis team brought anything gleamed from the SGC's seven previous years of hard work.

Heck, I would have thrown in a "ready to assemble" F-302, just for good measure. But that's just me.

As an aside - how effective would zat guns/staff weapons be against the wraith? Think the "one shot stuns, two shots kill, three shots disintegrate" rule would still apply?
    "So are we taking your car or mine, or am I just gonna follow you?"
    Daniel Jackson - "Affinity"

Well, Staff Weapons are a joke. Anyone with any knowledge of firearms will tell you that. Or just watch The Warrior to see a very good demonstration of why. Bringing them would've been a waste of time and energy.

Zats on the other hand should've been brought by the bucketload. Near-limetless ammunition, extremely useful stunning weapon and fantastic general purpose sidearm (plus it has a 'Lock-Pick Mode' as PDL calls it). It's uses against the Wraith are debatable, but they didn't know they'd be facing the Wraith. Also, tasers worked on a Wraith, why not Zats?

BYE
    "Your Star burns! I require frozen treats!" - Tycho Brahe

"I don't like even!" - Acastus Kolya, 1X10 'The Storm'

Comment

Because the expedition team is not trained to use those weapons.

SG teams have rudimentary training, they can hit something with those weapons, but the Zats and Staff weapons are still not something as reliable as a P90.
      Enter my game site...

Comment

They should have brought some of them ... perhap they did ... in a crate somewhere ... but we didn't have much occasion to test our weapon on the wraith !

And I don't think they would be affect ... think that the anubis warrior aren't affected, many people aren't affect like the man who work for the goauld as an hunter of tok'ra... he was able to protect himself aigainst it. it is a so primitive weapon for advance race (The asgard and the n0x : it is usless to protect your body when you reach a certain level of technology, because the other tech protect you anyway.)
        - Maybe one day you will learn, that your way, is not the only way.
        - The very young, do not always do what they are told.
        - The Nox

Comment

Maybe they were afraid of ancient defense systems that will attack anything Goa'uld related?!?

Comment

Originally posted by AlphaBlu
            Well, Staff Weapons are a joke. Anyone with any knowledge of firearms will tell you that. Or just watch The Warrior to see a very good demonstration of why. Bringing them would've been a waste of time and energy.

Zats on the other hand should've been brought by the bucketload. Near-limetless ammunition, extremely useful stunning weapon and fantastic general purpose sidearm (plus it has a 'Lock-Pick Mode' as PDL calls it). It's uses against the Wraith are debatable, but they didn't know they'd be facing the Wraith. Also, tasers worked on a Wraith, why not Zats?

BYE
            Thats true, but it is sci fi so it doesnt really matter.

And i think they would both work, the wraith have not shown any visible shielding devices yet so a staff weapon should make a nice chunk through them but the wraith dont really seem to be affected unless shoot in the head so its debatable. And as for the Zat it should really work, no matter what the object unless it is a conductor on the ground or something, it should disintergrate in three shots.

The real reason that they didnt bring them is because supposedly they wanted to keep the 2 shows seperate or at least that is what i heard but it is a little hard to believe so i dont know.
            'Where did you get this'- Wraith Queen
            'I don't remember'- Major Sheppard - Rising (part 2)

'I don’t know if you noticed or not, but I’m an extremely arrogant man who tends to think all of his plans will work.' - McKay - The Eye

Comment

Originally posted by sleeper
              Maybe they were afraid of ancient defense systems that will attack anything Goa'uld related?!?
              Highly improbable. The Ancients only knew of the Wraith after they came back.

Although, I'm not sure if they knew that before going to Atlantis, so that may be a plausible answer.
              Enter my game site...

Comment

Minor spoilers for 'Suspicion'

i dont get why they didnt bring zats along. they would've been good for the episode 'suspicion' when they electricuted 'steve' to capture him. they're also just overall cool weapons.
                ROFLMAO Check This Out!!!

Comment

Originally posted by lionel_pendergast_rocks
                  Minor spoilers for 'Suspicion'

i dont get why they didnt bring zats along. they would've been good for the episode 'suspicion' when they electricuted 'steve' to capture him. they're also just overall cool weapons.
                  Notice how it didn't work: the shock of about five tazers couldn't even bring down a simple wraith warrior.
                  Enter my game site...

Comment

Originally posted by Gothann
                    Notice how it didn't work: the shock of about five tazers couldn't even bring down a simple wraith warrior.
                    This brings up a good question regarding how zat guns function: does the "three shot" rule require someone to be stunned and killed before disintegration is possible?

In "1969," zat guns were used to disintegrate inanimate objects with three shots. Just because a creature/object isn't stunned/killed outright doesn't mean the third shot won't discombobulate its atomic structure.

I just used discombobulate in a sentence.

Comment

They solved the stun weapon issue with the Wraith rifle. There's no need to bring in a much weaker weapon such as the Zat now. The rifle may resemble a bottle of champagne, but the FX is cooler imo. It also doubles as a melee weapon to boot.

My guess is that with the Wraiths' accelerated healing it'd take a handful of Zats firing at him to bring him down, and more to scatter his molecular composition to disintegrate him.

Comment

Originally posted by aeroe
                        They solved the stun weapon issue with the Wraith rifle. There's no need to bring in a much weaker weapon such as the Zat now. The rifle may resemble a bottle of champagne, but the FX is cooler imo. It also doubles as a melee weapon to boot.
                        Given, there *are* stun weapons available now, but the expedition team wouldn't have assumed that pre-mission. I'm simply wondering why zat guns were not brought along originally.

Originally posted by aeroe
                        My guess is that with the Wraiths' accelerated healing it'd take a handful of Zats firing at him to bring him down, and more to scatter his molecular composition to disintegrate him.
                        That's definitely a possibility; however, I don't think accelerated healing has anything to do with rendering one's atomic structure more resilient to disintegration. In the case of Aris Boch ("Deadman's Switch") I'd like to believe that it was his armor (or some other item he had) which granted him immunity to the effects of a zat discharge.

Comment

Originally posted by Thor's Gunner
                          The real reason that they didnt bring them is because supposedly they wanted to keep the 2 shows seperate or at least that is what i heard but it is a little hard to believe so i dont know.
                          That is the reason, because it would create legal problems.
                          (Lisences and stuff like that.)
                          sigpic

SGU Continued....

Comment

I read somewhere TPTB removed the zat's ''distintegrate'' feature.. as it would make things way to easy - imagine meeting ba'al or something and hes not looking and you zat him 3 times... hes gone? what? ... but yeah they said they wont be using it anymore

Comment

So as stated, the desintegration part only works when the object-target-person is dead/inanimate.

A Wraith can easily take on such strong jolts of electricity, so it's safe to say that Zats are not worth it, nor are Wraith stunners.

Bring in the big guns. P90 could very well become the handgun of SG:A, seeing as how a regular handgun can't do squat.
                              Enter my game site...

Comment

Working...
                              X