This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Destiny C02 Scrubber SPOILERS/Spec SGU S1

Is it just me, or does anyone want one in their room/apartment/house/etc?

Picture of the Scrubber
    Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

From what I can gather, Calcium oxide (not calcium carbonate) removes C02 - the resulting reaction of C02 and calcium oxide is calcium carbonate.

You know, not as many C02 scrubbing articles,pages, projects, etc as I would of thought. I mean, there are DIY scrubber projects, but for 'ahem' "growing" purposes. I would imagine that the scrubber would do the same thing, remove the C02 from the air, but the manner in which they are built are no way the same as what is shown in SGU.

I just don't get the thing with the water. If I had to guess, you pour the calcium oxide in with water and mix it till it dissolves, then pump air through it - C02 mixes with calcium oxide, and eventually you get a deposit of calcium carbonate - clean air pumps out. Did I do it right? lol

Anyone interested in building a Destiny like C02 scrubber???? The design is pretty straight forward.... doesn't look too complicated.

On a side note though, a true Life Support system would also have to handle the moisture (dehumidifier), use burners to remove other gases (carbon monoxide/hydrogen), and have air filters to removes particles, dirt and dust.
    Last edited by Halzman; 11 October 2009, 10:54 AM.

i assumed the rest of the life suport still works it was just the scrubber that was screwed

Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LWmw1u2to5M

Currently recruiting new staff

Comment

using realistic equations, they have bought themselves 18 hours of air (on top of what they first had)

assuming they brought 50 kg of lime (which is alot)

Comment

Why exactly did they need the CO2 scrubbers to be fixed at all?

As I understood it, no one has been on that ship since it launched. Why wouldn't the ship just keep the life support off for all that time?

Furthermore, even if it was on, what would be releasing CO2 into the air if there were no living things? I assume the Ancients were not stupid enough to have something on the ship that would release CO2 in a location where people might be.
        My Tep senses are tingling.

That I will have to edit is assumed.

Comments and critiques are always welcome. Please, tell me what you think.

Comment

Calcium oxide CaO reacts quite violently with water to form calcium hydroxide

CaO (s) + H2O (l) -> Ca(OH)2 (l)

Saturated calcium hydroxide solution (or lime water) reacts with carbon dioxide to produce a precipitate of calcium carbonate:

Ca(OH)2 (aq) + CO2 (g) -> CaCO3 (s) + H2O (l)

Lime water is also used in experiments involving aerobic or anaerobic respiration, to determine whether carbon dioxide was produced. When lime water reacts with CO2 it becomes milky, because of the calcium carbonate, or chalk, produced.

See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lime_water
          "So, what's your impression of Alar?"
          "That he is concealing something."
          "Like what?"
          "I am unsure. He is concealing it."

"Well, according to Einstein’s General Theory of Relativity, there’s nothing in the laws of physics to prevent it. Extremely difficult to achieve, mind you – you need the technology to manipulate black holes to create wormholes not only through points in space but time."
          "Not to mention a really nice DeLorean."
          "Don’t even get me started on that movie!"
          "I liked that movie!"

Comment

Originally posted by Exthalion View Post

As I understood it, no one has been on that ship since it launched. Why wouldn't the ship just keep the life support off for all that time?

Furthermore, even if it was on, what would be releasing CO2 into the air if there were no living things? I assume the Ancients were not stupid enough to have something on the ship that would release CO2 in a location where people might be.
            Maybe through all the years of it lying dormant, it got gunnked up.

Comment

Originally posted by thekillman View Post
              using realistic equations, they have bought themselves 18 hours of air (on top of what they first had)

assuming they brought 50 kg of lime (which is alot)
              The scrubbers needs quicklime to prime it and the process scavenges the co2 from the calcium carbonate. This would be a fairly primitive system. Submarines use amine to collect co2 and heat to drive it out of solution (and dispose of it). I would image the destiny has the ability to convert co2 to c and o2 if fed a pure stream of co2 (one molecule at a time is impractical).

Given a few days they will probably start working on what would be a "modern" scrubber.

Comment

Any o2 on the ship would deplete itself (various chemical reactions) if some mechanism didn't exist to regenerate the o2. Our own planet would be depleted of o2 in short order if photosynthesis wasn't making o2.

Comment

Originally posted by morrismike View Post
                  The scrubbers needs quicklime to prime it and the process scavenges the co2 from the calcium carbonate. This would be a fairly primitive system. Submarines use amine to collect co2 and heat to drive it out of solution (and dispose of it). I would image the destiny has the ability to convert co2 to c and o2 if fed a pure stream of co2 (one molecule at a time is impractical).

Given a few days they will probably start working on what would be a "modern" scrubber.
                  I'd assume that there was some sort of benefit in terms of longevity for the Ancients to use such a method perhaps due to whatever 'magical' chemical they used to scrub the CO2 in the first place?

The lifesupport did last for hundreds of thousands of years if not millions.
                  Robert Jastrow (self-proclaimed agnostic): "For the scientist who has lived by his faith in the power of reason, the story ends like a bad dream. He has scaled the mountains of ignorance; he is about to conquer the highest peak; as he pulls himself over the final rock, he is greeted by a band of theologians who have been sitting there for centuries."

Comment

yes but there's a difference between being used and barely being used.

the lime buys them 18 hours. the destiny needs some very fancy scrubbers for longer periods.

SPOILERS
                    Spoiler:
                    we know there's an aeroponics lab, so the plants growing there might act as a better system

Comment

Originally posted by garhkal View Post
                      Maybe through all the years of it lying dormant, it got gunnked up.
                      It's possible some of the Ancients did occupy the ship for a time, or maybe someone else found it, lived there, and the current crew just havn't found signs of them yet.

Comment

Using that logic means that there have to been other visitors to the destiny before our party arrived.

umm wonder who they are and if we going to meet them again.

yes but there's a difference between being used and barely being used.

the lime buys them 18 hours. the destiny needs some very fancy scrubbers for longer periods.

Spoiler:
                        we know there's an aeroponics lab, so the plants growing there might act as a better system

They better have a big lab, because it would require hundreds/thousands of plants to provide enough oxygen for the crew of that size and to compensate for the lost air in space and for the plants themselves not become saturated an start producing co2 themselves, something which have observe even on earth. This is difficult to achieve in perfect conditions let alone in a rush, an eighteen hours is not enough for the plants to become establish. But they have encounter rapidly growing plants, perhaps they incorporated those genes into something like tomatoes and other food crops.

Personally I see no viable option but for them to continue to search for a way to repair the systems on the ship. Which means every time the ships allows them to explore a other planet they should be looking to fine components and supplies to filter oxygen.

I am certainly surprise to see that the air vents were fully open, I would of expect them to limit the flow a little.
                        Last edited by knowles2; 12 October 2009, 05:53 AM.

Comment

the air escaped out through the holes in the ship, there was little air left, then 80+ people arrived. hence more CO2.

CO2 goes through scrubbers, carbon bonds to the calcite and oxgen is released

Comment

holes in the ship, little air left, turns to CO2 when we arrived.

scrubbing material degrades over (umm how about) MILLIONS of years.

Comment

Don't mean to sound dumb, but "it is what it is." It is a problem they had when they entered the ship, and had to fix it. Stay in the moment, guys. There are THINGS TO DO to stay alive.

I'm glad y'all know the science and stuff, but IT'S A SHOW! If someone is shooting at you, do you say, oh that's a .22! No...you RUN.

Comment

Working...
                              X