When Eli stuck his hand in the gate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When Eli stuck his hand in the gate

You guys know Eli stuck his hand in the gate, what I like to know is why didn't the gate turn off? Was it a safety protocol? Because in other stargate franchise the gate would shut off automatically regardless of who ever is in there.

Sorry was interrupted when that happened

Originally posted by globex View Post
    You guys know Eli stuck his hand in the gate, what I like to know is why didn't the gate turn off? Was it a safety protocol? Because in other stargate franchise the gate would shut off automatically regardless of who ever is in there.

i was going to post this about half an hour ago, then ithought "thats after 37 minutes" where this gate wasnt open for any time as long so might have the safety protocol for the full 37 minutes after that its the maximum time a worm hole can stay open (with out duracel batteries or a black hole)

Comment

Rush stated that he thinks/ hopes there is a safety protocol in place...
      In SG1/ SGA episodes where the stagate would cut off whatever is there is only because the gate is forced to shut down, like 38 min limit is reached, from a computer, the gate is under attack and somehow forced to shut down etc.
      sigpic

Comment

and to be fair no one that i remember has tested if it does the same with worm holes normally just they shut down after 37/38 minutes

Comment

Originally posted by luckylad View Post
          and to be fair no one that i remember has tested if it does the same with worm holes normally just they shut down after 37/38 minutes
          What?!
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by luckylad View Post
            i was going to post this about half an hour ago, then ithought "thats after 37 minutes" where this gate wasnt open for any time as long so might have the safety protocol for the full 37 minutes after that its the maximum time a worm hole can stay open (with out duracel batteries or a black hole)
            lol
            So if that's the case Eli could have kept his hand there for another 37 minutes There was no need for the urgency.

Comment

We've seen before that if there's something that has only partially crossed the event horizon the gate won't shut off, at least until the 38 minute cutoff point is reached. I think the point here was that Destiny was going to shut the gate down and go to FTL, and Rush was hoping that whatever safety protocol the gates use would be detected by Destiny, and overrule its decision to shut it down until whatever was in the gate (Eli) had finished coming through.

Comment

In Shades of Gray at the end, when the Asgard were beaming all the stolen stuff up out of the secret base, Jack went through the Gate to Earth and said words to the effect of "I'll be holding the door open for you," which he did by having one of his arms still inside the Gate, which prevented it from shutting down so the NID could dial somewhere else and escape.

(No idea if he exited the wormhole leaving one arm still in it, or put his arm back into it, mind...)

Comment

lol
                  So if that's the case Eli could have kept his hand there for another 37 minutes There was no need for the urgency.
                  yeah i think that was the point in showing u that in the third episode now they realise they get 37 extra minutes

Comment

It wasn't 38 min timer that was threatening to shut the gates because with out additional power supply it's impossible to keep wormhole stable. It was Destiny that was threatening to shut the gates due to fact that it was time to go.

My assumption is that safety protocols did not allowed for destiny to shut Stargates however they bough just a few seconds because destiny started to move and was preparing for the jump, this would automatically shut the stargates because wormhole would be disintegrated due to instable connection.
                    The cake is a lie...

Comment

Originally posted by Edi View Post
                      What?!
                      Im not going to lie to you u might no more about how the stargate works

But to my knowledge the only time i seen something severed off in stargate was from the earth gate which has a computer system that they always said overides all the "safety protocols" (mckay said so in sg1) and if your thinking when, it was the third episode where jacks friend had the snake in his head. Apart from that to my knowledge i have never seen someone have something severed off from having it stuck in the gate. And so that safety device might work on any gate just we didnt know about it

Comment

Originally posted by Arwis View Post
                        It wasn't 38 min timer that was threatening to shut the gates because with out additional power supply it's impossible to keep wormhole stable. It was Destiny that was threatening to shut the gates due to fact that it was time to go.

My assumption is that safety protocols did not allowed for destiny to shut Stargates however they bough just a few seconds because destiny started to move and was preparing for the jump, this would automatically shut the stargates because wormhole would be disintegrated due to instable connection.
                        Ah okay good point there! Good pick up.

Comment

Whit "what?!" I meant that I just cant make sense of what you said, most likely because of how the sentence is constructed...

And we have seen something get cut off or threatening to do so, like Atlantis episode 38 minutes and there was another time in SG1 where the end of a goauld staff weapon was cut off when the gate was closed (i thing it was because something attacked it)
                          But yeah, it works on every gate as long as it doesn't breach the 38 min limit/ has enough power or the system is uninterrupted...
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Blue Shadowdancer View Post
                            In Shades of Gray at the end, when the Asgard were beaming all the stolen stuff up out of the secret base, Jack went through the Gate to Earth and said words to the effect of "I'll be holding the door open for you," which he did by having one of his arms still inside the Gate, which prevented it from shutting down so the NID could dial somewhere else and escape.

(No idea if he exited the wormhole leaving one arm still in it, or put his arm back into it, mind...)
                            I was always wondering how stargates knows exactly when to shut off. There were so many episodes and so many different situation when stargates were keeping longer after some1 got through them and in other cases they were shutting just after some1 came.

Maybe because travel through wormhole still takes few seconds so the stargate keeps tracking incoming data. This would explain why gates are shutting off immediately when whole team travels through gate at the beginning of episode.

However Jack was just trying to prevent stargates automatic shut down after he went through, it wasn't 38 min counter either.
                            The cake is a lie...

Comment

Originally posted by Edi View Post
                              Whit "what?!" I meant that I just cant make sense of what you said, most likely because of how the sentence is constructed...

And we have seen something get cut off or threatening to do so, like Atlantis episode 38 minutes and there was another time in SG1 where the end of a goauld staff weapon was cut off when the gate was closed (i thing it was because something attacked it)
                              yes but that wasnt organic where his arm is there is no proof yet that a none organic object can hold the gate open. about my sentence structure oh well

Comment

Working...
                              X