Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will the SGU crew develop a sense of humor?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Will the SGU crew develop a sense of humor?

One thing I have noticed about the SGU crew is that they do not have a sense of humor. Yes I know their stranded, going hungry, having trouble breathing, and pretty much at each others throats, but they shouldn't stop them having a sense of humor. What i liked about the previous incarnations of SG1 and SGA is that not matter where the were, whatever incalculatble odds were against them, they never lost that sense of humor (Thank god for O'Niel and Sheppard). When Eli threw out that "Damn you, damn you all to hell" reference to Planet of the Apes reference in the desert, that was funny. Even when he split up, he asked scott to say the line, it seemed like no one like Eli, just wanted to get away from him. If it wasn't for Eli this would turn into some somber, empty shell of its former series.

I agree for the most part but they have no idea where the hell they are. If I was out there with them I prolly wouldn't have a sense of humur either. I think the writers want us to see how much of a dire situation this is and thats why there is not much of a sense of humur.
    Jack O'Neill: If we want to find out who's behind this, we have to do what the Asgard do.
    Daniel: You mean bluff?
    Jack O'Neill: Yep. We just need to do it without revealing what we know.
    Daniel: Which is nothing.
    Jack O'Neill: Right. But they don't know we know nothing.

Comment

I have to agree. I think when a lot of the more pressing survival issues (i.e. air, water, food) are taken care of, then we'll start to see a lot of the characters open up and possibly lighten up a bit more.

It's completely understandable that things are this way at the moment though, and I like that the writers are doing it this way.
      Sig by Pandora's Box
      sigpic

Comment

The Planet of the Apes thing was the first thing that I actually found funny so far. Eli in part 1 and 2 was pretty meh to be honest.

Comment

But what about General O'neil, his part in that episode seemed well quite tame. With every episode and cameo O'neil done in the SG series, he has been witty and funny, but here he seems like he was himself (getting older or much more mature?- god I hope not).

Comment

Originally posted by tNsRAoL View Post
            The Planet of the Apes thing was the first thing that I actually found funny so far. Eli in part 1 and 2 was pretty meh to be honest.
            Eli seems to be the only character in the show that seems embrace his situation. Lets face it he is the only one who really never been off world, now flung billions of light years he seems to be the only one embracing this sense of exploration, while many of the soldiers and scientists who have been off world are loosing it.

Comment

Jack only got 1 "Jack line" in any of the 3 episodes

In the first episode, it was when Eli said something like "And what if i dont want to come with you"
              And Jack said "Then we'll beam up up to our space ship"
              When they first went to Eli's house

Its like they got all these serious writers that dont know how to write for that character

And Eli's Planet of the apes reference was funny, but so was his "Can I get some pants" line, i found that much funnier

But those 3 lines were the only funny parts of the whole show, and i guess thats ok, with the direction they are taking with this new style, but Jack should get funny/witty/sarcastic lines no matter what

Comment

Originally posted by Pat1487 View Post
                Jack should get funny/witty/sarcastic lines no matter what
                On the contrary, I was glad to see Jack more serious this time around. It provides for the more realistic tone of the series.
                Currently watching: Dark Matter, 12 Monkeys, Doctor Who, Under the Dome, The Mentalist, The Messengers, The Last Ship, Elementary, Dominion, The Whispers, Extant, Olympus, Da Vinci's Demons, Vikings

Comment

Actually I didn't think the Planet of the Apes bit was all that funny But Eli's still the only character that has actually made me laugh so far. Still, I agree that while the humour was one of the things I loved about Stargate, there's not much place it at present given that they're lurching from one life-threatening crisis to the next. (Eli can get away with it since he's still giddy from having the geek's dream of being beamed up and given a spaceship full of toys to play with...sure, it's dangerous, but look; floating camera-ball!)

Comment

There's a difference between humor to the fan and humor between the characters.

Remember the scene with Eli and Scott first exploring the ship. They chuckled together at the absurdity of their situation and how inexperienced they were. That was not funny to the audience but it was mildly funny to, or for, the characters. Same with Eli and Choe's initial meeting on the Hammond about Chloe knowing a lot about Eli.

It didn't matter whether or not the joke about the statue of liberty was funny to the audience. It was his attempt to be funny to the other characters.

Even Rush has made a few remarks with a wry, tired, sarcasm that bespoke of an undercurrent of humor to the sarcasm

No, the characters are not yucking it up for audience laughs, but they do show signs of humor within how they deal with each other, given the situation
                    If you're wondering how he eats & breathes, and other science facts...(la! la! la!)
                    Then repeat to yourself its just a show, I should really just relax.

I own "Future War"..I can put up with a lot

sigpic - Black Belt Test 10/24/2009 -

Comment

Originally posted by Lightning Ducj View Post
                      There's a difference between humor to the fan and humor between the characters.

Remember the scene with Eli and Scott first exploring the ship. They chuckled together at the absurdity of their situation and how inexperienced they were. That was not funny to the audience but it was mildly funny to, or for, the characters. Same with Eli and Choe's initial meeting on the Hammond about Chloe knowing a lot about Eli.

It didn't matter whether or not the joke about the statue of liberty was funny to the audience. It was his attempt to be funny to the other characters.

Even Rush has made a few remarks with a wry, tired, sarcasm that bespoke of an undercurrent of humor to the sarcasm

No, the characters are not yucking it up for audience laughs, but they do show signs of humor within how they deal with each other, given the situation
                      beat me to it.

If you pay attention they all have a sense of Humor, they just don't care for it at the moment. But I Imagen that as time goes one they will slowly see the light.
                      By Nolamom
                      sigpic

Comment

Without humor only one way - sit down and die. We all die, but while we are alive. And real people are able to joke.
                        Well, contrary to popular human belief, the Earth is not the centre of the galaxy. (c) ARIS BOCH
                        SGU DEAD - Good News !!!

Comment

Originally posted by Commander Zelix View Post
                          On the contrary, I was glad to see Jack more serious this time around. It provides for the more realistic tone of the series.
                          I guess im just so used to seeing Jack like how he was in sg1
                          Any other version of him just doesnt feel right to me

Plus why would his character change just because the show is darker, if you change a character like that, especially one we are so familiar with, at least offer some explanation as to why he changed
                          It just felt like poor writing to me with the way they did it

I know the show isnt about Jack and he shouldnt get his own character story (although that would be awesome) but my point is they shouldnt have changed him at all

Comment

They didn't change him at all though. He got at most five lines, and he was talking about a very serious situation. Which we have seen him deel with in the past. Sure he has had a lot of humor, but do you really expect him to be cracking jokes in the middle of a brief like that, especially since Young needed a pep talk?
                            And he did have humorous moments in the three episodes, just not that many because he was involved in serious situations this time around.

Comment

Alright, Alright

Your right, since he does only have 5-7 lines and they always balance out funny with serious with his character, the funny lines are just more memorable, i guess it works for the amount of lines he had

Ill let it go for now

Comment

Working...
                              X