faster than lightspeed but not in hyperspace

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

faster than lightspeed but not in hyperspace

After watching the premiere is it safe to say that dialing in to the gate on Destiny from another location causes the ship to drop out of FTL for a short time?

Yes.

Comment

Yes. In FTL their is no point of origin
      Originally posted by aretood2
      Jelgate is right

Comment

Is that why the first demonstration of dialling, using Eli's math failed? But later when they dialed, as Icarus was under attack, it worked?
        Author of 'The Legend of the Locust' Sci Fi Series

Worked on SGU (a little)

Comment

Originally posted by lmoroney View Post
          Is that why the first demonstration of dialling, using Eli's math failed? But later when they dialed, as Icarus was under attack, it worked?
          Because they used Icarus' PoO which didn't work the first time.
          The second time they used Earth's PoO which seemed to be the correct sequence

*God, I hope the Mods approve this quickly instead of waiting 12 hours last time

Comment

I'm not actually so sure about this. I know it's a horrible comparison to make but we came across a similar issue when writing the fan show Stargate Destiny, it's set on a ship so the issue of "How to dial a ship" came up.

Obviously you can't dial up a ship in hyperspace, but I think the reason the Destiny uses a non-hyperspace form of travel was to get around exactly that issue. As a way of allowing a way for stargates to dial the ship when it's in ftl, or at the very least create an initial link to the gate and trigger the ship to drop out of FTL to receive the wormhole properly.

Comment

FTL is from BSG, not SG.

Comment

Congratulations you paid no attention to the show you jsut watched.

They specifically said that they were traveling faster than light and not in hyper space. They refer to it as Faster than Light. I don't see the problem with shortening that to FTL.

The comparisons between the shows really are fairly limited, if they exist at all. People need to get over it.

Comment

Originally posted by Esquin View Post
                  Congratulations you paid no attention to the show you jsut watched.

They specifically said that they were traveling faster than light and not in hyper space. They refer to it as Faster than Light. I don't see the problem with shortening that to FTL.

The comparisons between the shows really are fairly limited, if they exist at all. People need to get over it.
                  At least I now know what that acronym meant. I heard the term when watching the episode last night and after hearing it was wondering what it meant
                  My Life Motto: There are no wrong roads in life just paths that lead to unexpected Adventures.
                  "Ago simplex sic alius may simplex ago" - Live simply, so other's may simply live - Ghandi

Comment

Originally posted by Miroslav View Post
                    FTL is from BSG, not SG.
                    FTL is a generally well accepted acronym for travel faster than light. It has nothing at all to do with BSG.

Comment

I'm pretty sure that science fiction, theoretical physics, and the universe in general began with Battlestar Galactica.

At least that's the impression I'm getting from the fans comparing SGU to it.
                      GateWorld Podcast - Info - iTunes - Google
                      The Stargate Omnipedia - www.StargateOmnipedia.com
                      Stargate Image Gallery - www.StargateGallery.com

Comment

Originally posted by Darren View Post
                        I'm pretty sure that science fiction, theoretical physics, and the universe in general began with Battlestar Galactica.

At least that's the impression I'm getting from the fans comparing SGU to it.
                        darren if I had room in my signature...lol

Comment

Originally posted by Esquin View Post
                          Actually, TJ used the acronym FTL right after Destiny dropped out of it near the end of Air II, so it's probably going to be officially shortened to that, too.

Comment

Originally posted by Osiristi View Post
                            Actually, TJ used the acronym FTL right after Destiny dropped out of it near the end of Air II, so it's probably going to be officially shortened to that, too.
                            I agree. But yayy, with a whole new Stargate show, comes hella-lots of cool acronyms
                            sigpic

Comment

Seeing as there didn't seem to be a planet nearby, nor was the Destiny dialing outwards to the Stargate, so I think it's pretty safe to say that dialing the Destiny causes it to drop outta hyperspace.

Comment

Working...
                              X