PDA

View Full Version : faster than lightspeed but not in hyperspace

BRAVO872
October 4th, 2009, 06:12 PM
After watching the premiere is it safe to say that dialing in to the gate on Destiny from another location causes the ship to drop out of FTL for a short time?

tNsRAoL
October 5th, 2009, 06:06 AM
Yes.

jelgate
October 5th, 2009, 06:11 AM
Yes. In FTL their is no point of origin

lmoroney
October 5th, 2009, 06:14 AM
Is that why the first demonstration of dialling, using Eli's math failed? But later when they dialed, as Icarus was under attack, it worked?

ijacen
October 5th, 2009, 10:07 AM
Is that why the first demonstration of dialling, using Eli's math failed? But later when they dialed, as Icarus was under attack, it worked?
Because they used Icarus' PoO which didn't work the first time.
The second time they used Earth's PoO which seemed to be the correct sequence

*God, I hope the Mods approve this quickly instead of waiting 12 hours last time

Esquin
October 6th, 2009, 01:48 AM
I'm not actually so sure about this. I know it's a horrible comparison to make but we came across a similar issue when writing the fan show Stargate Destiny, it's set on a ship so the issue of "How to dial a ship" came up.

Obviously you can't dial up a ship in hyperspace, but I think the reason the Destiny uses a non-hyperspace form of travel was to get around exactly that issue. As a way of allowing a way for stargates to dial the ship when it's in ftl, or at the very least create an initial link to the gate and trigger the ship to drop out of FTL to receive the wormhole properly.

Miroslav
October 6th, 2009, 03:52 AM
FTL is from BSG, not SG.

Esquin
October 6th, 2009, 03:56 AM
Congratulations you paid no attention to the show you jsut watched.

They specifically said that they were traveling faster than light and not in hyper space. They refer to it as Faster than Light. I don't see the problem with shortening that to FTL.

The comparisons between the shows really are fairly limited, if they exist at all. People need to get over it.

SG7
October 6th, 2009, 07:02 AM
Congratulations you paid no attention to the show you jsut watched.

They specifically said that they were traveling faster than light and not in hyper space. They refer to it as Faster than Light. I don't see the problem with shortening that to FTL.

The comparisons between the shows really are fairly limited, if they exist at all. People need to get over it.

At least I now know what that acronym meant. I heard the term when watching the episode last night and after hearing it was wondering what it meant

tNsRAoL
October 7th, 2009, 01:44 AM
FTL is from BSG, not SG.

FTL is a generally well accepted acronym for travel faster than light. It has nothing at all to do with BSG.

Darren
October 7th, 2009, 04:40 AM
I'm pretty sure that science fiction, theoretical physics, and the universe in general began with Battlestar Galactica.

At least that's the impression I'm getting from the fans comparing SGU to it.

Captain Obvious
October 7th, 2009, 07:25 AM
I'm pretty sure that science fiction, theoretical physics, and the universe in general began with Battlestar Galactica.

darren if I had room in my signature...lol

Osiristi
October 7th, 2009, 08:00 AM

Actually, TJ used the acronym FTL right after Destiny dropped out of it near the end of Air II, so it's probably going to be officially shortened to that, too.

Tawny
October 7th, 2009, 11:13 AM
Actually, TJ used the acronym FTL right after Destiny dropped out of it near the end of Air II, so it's probably going to be officially shortened to that, too.

I agree. But yayy:P, with a whole new Stargate show, comes hella-lots of cool acronyms :cool:

The Prophet
October 7th, 2009, 11:23 AM
Seeing as there didn't seem to be a planet nearby, nor was the Destiny dialing outwards to the Stargate, so I think it's pretty safe to say that dialing the Destiny causes it to drop outta hyperspace.

Blistna
October 7th, 2009, 03:29 PM
Because they used Icarus' PoO which didn't work the first time.
The second time they used Earth's PoO which seemed to be the correct sequence

*God, I hope the Mods approve this quickly instead of waiting 12 hours last time

You know...that is a slight possibility, but I doubt it. And the whole thing with FTL...Faster than light means exactly that...faster than light. Even hyperspace is FTL. And, also, we don't know what the Destiny does -- warp? -- so they call it FTL until they do.

Encoder
October 7th, 2009, 06:41 PM
After watching the premiere is it safe to say that dialing in to the gate on Destiny from another location causes the ship to drop out of FTL for a short time?

My problem with this:

1. We have to assume that Destiny can "listen" for incomming worm holes from subspace in order to know to drop out of FTL.
2. Subspace exists everywhere you are, even if you are FTL or in Hyperspace.
3. If Destiny can listen for subspace connection attempts then it "should" be able to accept an incoming wormhole (or outgoing for that fact) regardless of whether it is in FTL/Hyperspace or not!

:sheppard:

PacoJr67
October 7th, 2009, 06:56 PM
I don't think they ever addressed the possibility of a gate being able to target another gate that was moving that quickly. A gate on a ship that is moving at sublight speeds I can see because a gate that's on a planet will be moving too. but being able to calculate enough "lead" on a gate that's moving FTL (whether in hyperspace or not) and at such a great distance.

but then there's the fact that the gate address couldn't be referencing a specific location, because the destiny travelled a lot but the same address still worked...

Encoder
October 7th, 2009, 10:14 PM
I don't think they ever addressed the possibility of a gate being able to target another gate that was moving that quickly. A gate on a ship that is moving at sublight speeds I can see because a gate that's on a planet will be moving too. but being able to calculate enough "lead" on a gate that's moving FTL (whether in hyperspace or not) and at such a great distance.

but then there's the fact that the gate address couldn't be referencing a specific location, because the destiny travelled a lot but the same address still worked...

Problem is, speed is relative. Also, wormholes are created through sub space.

If the space around the gate (ie. the interior of the gate room) is moving at the same speed as the gate itself, then the wormhole simply needs to locate that physical space and establish a connection.

From that point onwards the physical distance between the two points are dealt with in sub space regardless of where the end points are.

Duneknight
October 8th, 2009, 03:29 AM
is FTL the same as hyperspace? and why does hyperspace wormhole of the Hammond look purple and very different than the usual?

UniverseSizePlotHole
October 8th, 2009, 03:38 AM
FTL looked like it was moving matter particles - have we ever seen that in hyperspace? Actually we can quote from the episode:-

"Faster than light, yet not through hyperspace. Who knows how far its travelled" - Dr Rush

Duneknight
October 8th, 2009, 04:33 AM
so is FTL drive faster than hyperdrive? and why cant the writers stick to one scientific theory? we got hyperspace, wormhole drive and now FTL? what next?-- warp and jump drives?

UniverseSizePlotHole
October 8th, 2009, 04:45 AM
so is FTL drive faster than hyperdrive? and why cant the writers stick to one scientific theory? we got hyperspace, wormhole drive and now FTL? what next?-- warp and jump drives?

Now if they found a power source at wormhole drive levels for Destiny that would be a quicker way to move around but what's the range? Gee this has opened a universe of thought beyond two/three/four galaxies (Milky Way, Pegasus, Ida, Ori Galaxy weren't enough!)

Was EATG wormhole drive just a plot device or will it have implications for SGU? Time will tell

neufel
October 8th, 2009, 04:51 AM
I still don't think FTL is faster than hyperdrive.

Let's see that in a chronologic order :

Ancients created FTL (Destiny), then hyperdrive (Atlantis), and that wormhole drive at last.
If FTL was faster than hyperdrive, Ancients would never have given that technology up.
"Hey guys, I found hyperdrive, it's slower than today, but it's really nice :tealcanime49: "

And Rush's "yet not through hyperspace" is clearly a sign that FTL is pre-hyperdrive in terms of technology.

Duneknight
October 8th, 2009, 05:44 AM
hyperdrive is sexier

neufel
October 8th, 2009, 05:48 AM
I'm wondering... Doesn't the love for sexy things don't screw your ascension's plan ?

Ancients were so human back in the day.

Cycrow
October 8th, 2009, 08:24 AM
I still don't think FTL is faster than hyperdrive.

Ancients created FTL (Destiny), then hyperdrive (Atlantis), and that wormhole drive at last.
If FTL was faster than hyperdrive, Ancients would never have given that technology up.
"Hey guys, I found hyperdrive, it's slower than today, but it's really nice :tealcanime49: "

And Rush's "yet not through hyperspace" is clearly a sign that FTL is pre-hyperdrive in terms of technology.

the ancients most likly created hyperdrive first, as they had to get from original galazy to earth in the first place.

they couldn't have launched destiny from earth before they had come to the milky way.

but of course it has been mentioned that the ancients used 2 types of hyperdrives, so one of them could have been developed after the FTL drive. but theres really no way of knowning

perhaps the destiny is much faster, but the drive has alot of limits compared to hyperdrive, making it more practical for day to day use

The Prophet
October 8th, 2009, 08:36 AM
the ancients most likly created hyperdrive first, as they had to get from original galazy to earth in the first place.

they couldn't have launched destiny from earth before they had come to the milky way.

They could just have taken ages to get to the Milky Way, just either using FTL, or a generational ship. There's no indication that they arrived at Earth immediately after leaving the Ori Galaxy.

Encoder
October 8th, 2009, 08:41 AM

Ok think about it this way...FTL means greater than C. How much greater, well let's just pick a number, 10 times, for example.

Now let's take Hyperdrive. Remember SG-1 S04E22, Carter blows up the star to destroy Apophis's mega Ha'tak but just as they enter hyper space they're suddenly blasted 4 million light years (125 years to get them back home according to Jacob).

Essentially this tells us that 4 million light years in a few seconds versus how ever many times C you'd like to pick, basically hyperdrive is much faster than FTL.

Pharaoh Atem
October 8th, 2009, 08:58 AM
FTL is a generally well accepted acronym for travel faster than light. It has nothing at all to do with BSG.

FTL was used in BSG so yes it does LOL

jelgate
October 8th, 2009, 09:11 AM
FTL was used in BSG so yes it does LOL

But it was around before BSG:P

Pharaoh Atem
October 8th, 2009, 09:21 AM
But it was around before BSG:P

yes it was :cool:

Arwis
October 8th, 2009, 09:26 AM
FTL drive which is on destiny isn't more advanced or faster way of traveling through space... Destiny uses FTL not hyper because of it's purpose. While traveling in FTL it's possible to use your sensors to detect whats around you including stargates. If you would try to do same in hyperspace it wouldn't be possible. I'm gonna explain why:

From theoretical physics today we know that gravity bends space and time(well at least we know for sure that gravity bends time from experiments in the real world). So if the gravity bends space the actual distance between point A and point B in space is a lot greater than it looks. So if we would have to travel through bended space from point A to point B it would take more time.

What hyperdrive does is that it travels in sub space(which is not bended by gravity) from point A to point B in a straight line or in the other words closest possible distance. However if we do that we loose any contact with normal space and we can not detect anything because real space is curved and instead of following those curves we're traveling directly.

However as we know destiny's purpose is to gather information about galaxies it travels through. If destiny would be using hyperdrive it wouldn't be possible to detect and gather information about anything(read above why). Instead destiny is using FTL drive which allows it travel fast but not through hyper space. This means that destiny is traveling through curved and bended space which allows to use its sensors ant gather information.

For conclusion I would like to repeat my self and say that FTL isn't more advanced way of traveling, it's specially designed for the purpose of destiny.

Btw this should be quoted for BIG LOL.

neufel
October 8th, 2009, 02:53 PM
Okay Arwis, this makes sense.

Let's quote myself :

"Hey guys, I found hyperdrive, it's slower than today, but it's really nice "

My list is full of FAIL.
Before FTL (aka before Destiny), Ancients made Stargates, which works with works thanks to the subspace you described.
And I must admit it must be somewhat logical to think that ancients would have found a way to make sub-space ships before FTL, since they already knew the tech (even if it's not really the same, I know)

But then, if FTL is for unknown-expeditions only, they might have use it in their first trip from their home galaxy to the milky way, right ?

Cold Fuzz
October 8th, 2009, 07:23 PM
They could just have taken ages to get to the Milky Way, just either using FTL, or a generational ship. There's no indication that they arrived at Earth immediately after leaving the Ori Galaxy.

Very true. It would take an Ori mothership approximately a year by hyperspace to get to the Milky Way. If their hyperdrive is comparable to a 304, and a 304 takes 3 weeks to travel to Pegasus (3 Mly), that would mean that the Alteran Home Galaxy is at least 50 Mly from the Milky Way. Since we don't know the state of the Ancients' hyperdrive/FTL tech when they left Ortus Mallum, it could have taken them ages, as you posted, to travel that 50 Mly. That is no short distance by any means of travel, whether Destiny-type FTL or hyperdrive.

aakaaki
October 9th, 2009, 04:16 PM
I also didn't get that FTL thing from the epi, they seemed to assume we got, not a problem really since you explained what it was. my problem is that if I recall correctly in one epi on Atlantis where an ainciant ship passed one of the Earth ship on thier way from Atlanis to earth, again if I recall correctly Rodny said that they were travling at .99999999999999999 percent of light speed, becase it was impossilbe to travel faster than light, assuming Rodny was mistaken. The aicients couldn't travel faster than light becase if they could they would have on that epi, specily that the ship they were usuing was a newer ship that should have had more technolgy. So how in the hell did they just come up whith this FTL? when it wasn't there before in the mothlgy of SGA and SG1.

Arwis
October 9th, 2009, 04:24 PM
I also didn't get that FTL thing from the epi, they seemed to assume we got, not a problem really since you explained what it was. my problem is that if I recall correctly in one epi on Atlantis where an ainciant ship passed one of the Earth ship on thier way from Atlanis to earth, again if I recall correctly Rodny said that they were travling at .99999999999999999 percent of light speed, becase it was impossilbe to travel faster than light, assuming Rodny was mistaken. The aicients couldn't travel faster than light becase if they could they would have on that epi, specily that the ship they were usuing was a newer ship that should have had more technolgy. So how in the hell did they just come up whith this FTL? when it wasn't there before in the mothlgy of SGA and SG1.

As I explained why FTL was invented only for Destiny to full fill it's purpose.

Method ancients traveled 99.99999% speed of light was with the help of sub light engines, I assume that Destiny has some soft of drive that enables FTL, but not the sub light. However aurora class ships had only sub light and hyperdrive. The answer to why is very simple, hyperdrive was more advanced and faster.

escyos
October 9th, 2009, 04:39 PM
hyperdrive is sexier

I disagree!

"I wanna ride your ship through FTL!"

as opposed to

"Want some hyperdrive?"

See the sexiness.....

Zeratul
October 9th, 2009, 06:41 PM
From rewatching Avalon (Part 2) again (Ep 2 of Season 9) we have Daniel reading the story of the ancients which goes something like:

"Once upon a time there was a race of people that went on a great journey through space, across the universe, they were called the Altera. After much time, and i think this means thousands of years, they found a great belt of stars.
The Alterans named their new home Avalon and built many Stargates."

Now then, as it seems the ancients took thousands of years going from the the Orii galaxy to earth it stands to reason they used whatever FTL system the Destiny currently uses and seeing how they were running from the Orii I doubt they'd take the scenic route if they had the hyperdrive engine.
Also its unlikely hyperspace was used since the Orii could get to earth in 1 year, they didnt need _millions_

Thus I believe that the hyperdrive was developed after the Destiny's FTL as oposed to the "FTL was made for the destiny and they had hyperdrive before"

Now as for the 99% speed of light thing that was acomplished with sub-light engines which arent much more then ur average car engine on steroids so the rules of reletivity apply as Rodeny said.
The reason this doesn't apply is because, like it was explained by Arwis, the hyperspace drive lets you burrow your way through subspace, you dont actually go faster then light (in theory).

Like imagine a huge mountain, what the hyperdrive does is make a tunnel through the mountain so you dont go around it and by walking at the same speed you can get to the other side of the mountein much much faster than if you had to go around.

As for the Destiny's FTL we know it doesn't work like hyperspace and we know it lets you go faster then light we just dont know how though I hope we find out eventually.

Also, going back to the Avalon quote, if the Ancients built many stargates it stands to reason that _Most Likely_ the Alterans could make them before dividing into Ancients and Orii as i doubt it they would invent it in the space trip.
Of couse they could just invented them after reaching Avalon, even if it sounds like they did it as soon as they arrived thats not exactly what's being said.

Feel free to correct me anywhere i might be wrong =)

Gelasius
October 10th, 2009, 10:59 AM
Any ideas on how the ancient spaceship travels great distances and speeds and not go through traditional hyperspace? I have to admit i really like the way it looks. better than hyperspace.

techwork
October 10th, 2009, 09:09 PM
Magnets

sum_weirdo
October 11th, 2009, 09:33 PM
My gripe with FTL is simply that they re-used the sound effect the hyperdrive uses. I mean if you're gong to claim Destiny uses a different kind of engine don't make it sound exactly the same..I thought Universe had a decent budget....

UniverseSizePlotHole
October 20th, 2009, 02:00 AM
Lightspeed too slow! Destiny is going at SpeedOfPlot speed!

We will surely a large variance in FTL speeds haha

Namtar
October 24th, 2009, 01:45 AM
I think the FTL drive is an "Economy Class" version of the standard hyperdrive, adapted to suit the purpose of the Destiny.

Premises:

The main components for a Hyperdrive are A: power supply and B: subspace bubble integrity (i.e. how well you shield your vessel from normal space influence, thus determining the effectiveness of your engine)

The Ancients deliberately sacrificed on B to economize on A and gain on range and longevity. Incidentally, that would also explain why FTL looks like flying through luminous fog. Reduced bubble integrity...

As a Long-Range, Deep-Space Exploration Vessel the Destiny needs a drive that is capable of functioning for a very long time while having having a very long range and also having a moderate level of power consumption. Speed, on the other hand, is not so much needed. We do know that the Ancients used different Hyperdrive types for different purposes...

EternalAlteran
October 24th, 2009, 06:12 AM
I think it is nothing like hyperspace, but probably an inferior ancient technology. Given that it needed to travel hundreds of thousands of years to reach billions of lightyears. Maybe this was the technology used by the Ancients to escape the Ori galaxy.

Mongoletsi
October 24th, 2009, 07:22 AM
We will surely a large variance in FTL speeds haha

What?

frankr
October 28th, 2009, 05:17 PM
I think it is nothing like hyperspace, but probably an inferior ancient technology. Given that it needed to travel hundreds of thousands of years to reach billions of lightyears. Maybe this was the technology used by the Ancients to escape the Ori galaxy.

I was thinking about the Destiny's FTL today and had basically the same idea. The ancients put there most reliable form of FTL on Destiny, not their fastest.

Sort of how NASA is going back to a capsule/rocket design to replace the Shuttle. A 1960's type vehicle designed & built with 21st century technological knowledge.

-frank

The Destiny
October 29th, 2009, 01:05 PM
I don't think the writers put this much thought in this little detail ^^ And I'm sort of confused by the timeline here.

"Several million years ago'' as it says in the atlantis premiere we see the ancients leaving in their big fancy hyperdriving cityship to Pegasus.

And in the SGU premiere it's stated that the ship was launched hundreds of thousands of years ago. Let's say a million years max. And the ship embarked from earth, milkyway.

so if I understand correctly the ancients left earth several million years ago and then launched the destiny from earth hundreds of thousands of years ago.. mmmmyeh, questionmark anyone?

Personally I believe they had FTL, which is pretty fast, but propably consumes quite a lot of power and will still take some time to cross the distance between galaxies, when they left from the Ori galaxy ( does it have an official name? ). During their time in the milkyway they developed the hyperdrive engine and stopped using the older slower FTL.
Isn't the hyperdrive more or less going into hyperspace and cruising inside hyperspace ( which is smaller than real space ) with your sublight? Imagine FTL inside Hyperspace! That'd be unimaginably fast!
If they built and launched the destiny before they left in Atlantis with the hyperdrive it'd make sense to me.

escyos
October 29th, 2009, 06:22 PM
there have been three dats given: hundred of thousands, nearly a million and pre lantean, perhpas we could WAIT a while to find out more information.

NemurAndStrauss
November 7th, 2009, 12:55 AM
The Destiny is between 250 million light years and 2.5 billion light years away, and travels at between 100c and 10,000c. The Daedalus travels at around 50,000,000c. It would take between 10 and 100 years round-trip to pick up the crew of the Destiny and return them to Earth. The Replicator drive would have taken somewhere between 2 days (best case) and 6 months (worst case) to manage the same feat. Justification as follows...

It's about 2.6Mly from Earth to the Pegasus galaxy. The map of the ship's journey (images 1718 to 1746 in the screen captures gallery, if you want to check) provides a way of estimating the total distance fairly well, knowing that the first two galaxies are the Milky Way and Pegasus. I'd call it, using that map, something like 250 million light years (~100x the distance from Earth to Pegasus). Rush, on the show, took an offhand glance at the map and called it "several billion," which provides an alternative figure of around 2.5 billion light years. The time traveled is somewhat vague - depending on the quote, you get anywhere from "several" hundred thousand, to "hundreds of thousands," to "a few million" years. It seems safe to say the ship has been traveling for between 250,000 years and 2.5 million years. So the low-end estimate of ship speed is minimum distance, maximum time - 250 million light years in 2.5 million years, or 100c. The high-end estimate of ship speed is the opposite - 2.5 billion light years in 250,000 years, or 10,000c. But it seems fairly safe to say the Destiny has traveled at between 100c and 10,000c.

A Daedalus cruiser can reach the Pegasus galaxy in 18 days, so it travels about 2.5 million light years in 0.05years: 50,000,000c, or at LEAST 5,000 times faster than the Destiny's drive.

One can consider what Earth could attempt to do to get Destiny's crew back home. If, as I would estimate from the map, Destiny has only traveled a quarter-billion light years, Earth could just dispatch a Daedalus cruiser, reach the Destiny in just under 5 years, and then return. On the other hand, if as Rush offhandedly states the Destiny has traveled something closer to 2.5Bly, then the Daedalus by itself has no reasonable hope of getting there in the lifetime of most of the crew.

However, travel estimates seem to put the Asgard galaxy at roughly (give or take a factor of 3-4) the same distance from Earth as the Pegasus galaxy is. A Goa'uld cargo ship can reach there in 10 days, meaning Goa'uld hyperdrives are about as good as those on the Daedalus (again, give or take a factor of 3-4). The Replicators managed to make the Goa'uld hyperdrive 800x as fast in short order - which puts it at LEAST at 10 billion c (possibly more like 100 billion c). So if it really is 2.5 billion light years, and only 10 billion c for the Replicator drive, that's 6 months round trip. If it is 0.25 bly, and 100 billion c, that's 44 hours round trip.

The Destiny
November 8th, 2009, 03:27 AM
I guess apart from the distance and speed there are other issues too with sending an x-304. Lifesupport, water, food, getting a crew that is willing to spend several years underway to the destiny, etc.

With the replicator drive it could've been done anyway, our asgard drives possibly.

The goa'uld cargoship was modified with ancient knowledge by the way. Because goa'uld vessels can't possibly get further than the milkyway without it taking several years at least. I'm pretty sure their traveltime inside the milkyway is longer too.

But thank you for making the calculations ;)

lordofseas
November 10th, 2009, 01:09 PM
The Destiny is between 250 million light years and 2.5 billion light years away, and travels at between 100c and 10,000c. The Daedalus travels at around 50,000,000c. It would take between 10 and 100 years round-trip to pick up the crew of the Destiny and return them to Earth. The Replicator drive would have taken somewhere between 2 days (best case) and 6 months (worst case) to manage the same feat. Justification as follows...

It's about 2.6Mly from Earth to the Pegasus galaxy. The map of the ship's journey (images 1718 to 1746 in the screen captures gallery, if you want to check) provides a way of estimating the total distance fairly well, knowing that the first two galaxies are the Milky Way and Pegasus. I'd call it, using that map, something like 250 million light years (~100x the distance from Earth to Pegasus). Rush, on the show, took an offhand glance at the map and called it "several billion," which provides an alternative figure of around 2.5 billion light years. The time traveled is somewhat vague - depending on the quote, you get anywhere from "several" hundred thousand, to "hundreds of thousands," to "a few million" years. It seems safe to say the ship has been traveling for between 250,000 years and 2.5 million years. So the low-end estimate of ship speed is minimum distance, maximum time - 250 million light years in 2.5 million years, or 100c. The high-end estimate of ship speed is the opposite - 2.5 billion light years in 250,000 years, or 10,000c. But it seems fairly safe to say the Destiny has traveled at between 100c and 10,000c.

A Daedalus cruiser can reach the Pegasus galaxy in 18 days, so it travels about 2.5 million light years in 0.05years: 50,000,000c, or at LEAST 5,000 times faster than the Destiny's drive.

One can consider what Earth could attempt to do to get Destiny's crew back home. If, as I would estimate from the map, Destiny has only traveled a quarter-billion light years, Earth could just dispatch a Daedalus cruiser, reach the Destiny in just under 5 years, and then return. On the other hand, if as Rush offhandedly states the Destiny has traveled something closer to 2.5Bly, then the Daedalus by itself has no reasonable hope of getting there in the lifetime of most of the crew.

However, travel estimates seem to put the Asgard galaxy at roughly (give or take a factor of 3-4) the same distance from Earth as the Pegasus galaxy is. A Goa'uld cargo ship can reach there in 10 days, meaning Goa'uld hyperdrives are about as good as those on the Daedalus (again, give or take a factor of 3-4). The Replicators managed to make the Goa'uld hyperdrive 800x as fast in short order - which puts it at LEAST at 10 billion c (possibly more like 100 billion c). So if it really is 2.5 billion light years, and only 10 billion c for the Replicator drive, that's 6 months round trip. If it is 0.25 bly, and 100 billion c, that's 44 hours round trip.

That is by far, the most thoughtful and intelligent post from a probie I have seen in a long while. Green for you.

escyos
November 10th, 2009, 03:09 PM
i dont like it when people assume things about stargate beyond what should be. like when peiople guess who far the asgard galaxy si from ours

EllieVee
November 11th, 2009, 12:12 AM
I'm wondering... Doesn't the love for sexy things don't screw your ascension's plan ?

Ancients were so human back in the day.

I think they invented Ikea. Look at Atlantean furniture.

EllieVee
November 11th, 2009, 12:14 AM
My gripe with FTL is simply that they re-used the sound effect the hyperdrive uses. I mean if you're gong to claim Destiny uses a different kind of engine don't make it sound exactly the same..I thought Universe had a decent budget....

But surely if FTL came first then the hyperdrive sound copies the FTL sound?

JoseP927
November 11th, 2009, 04:05 PM
****EXTENSIVE MATH RE-QUOTE REMOVED FOR EASY SCROLLING****

Looks like you're the new "Math Boy"!

JoseP927
November 11th, 2009, 04:12 PM
I am still fuzzy on the hyperspace vs. subspace idea. If normal space is defined by x,y,z, and t, then sliding into hyperspace would be like (on the simplest order) moving in a direction perpendicular to (x,y,z), what defines subspace?

lvalen18
November 29th, 2009, 12:43 AM
If you look at the last scene before the Alteran left the Ori Galaxy.. The Thought of the Stargate was already made... They had the entire trip to Perfect it or develop a prototype or early version to it. When they reached Avalon (Milky Way) I assume they still used their ships to get around until they developed the Stargate Network. I'm guessing the same ship that was used to spread gates through out the Milky is the same one thats ahead of the Destiny. The FTL on the Destiny had to be made or adjusted to allow it to detect incoming Wormholes and Drop out of FTL... The Destiny has to know where every stargate is in that galaxy since its not the first ship to pass throuh....

Whats been learned is that three ships where sent 1st. One to Scan worlds and their compound 2. Seed Gates on Appropriate Worlds approved by the first. 3. A ship to gate to with the information of the first two ships. Destiny drops out of FTL when it detects a near by gate.. That could mean that whatever years its been active it has aways dropped out of FTL or since it Detected People in it, its dropping out to allow access to the nearby Gates.

We know that the Ancient lived in both the Milky Way for years so they continued working on the Stargate. The same gate in the Destiny had to be in both the Milky Way and Pegasus but sine they inhabited these galaxy they were able to replace them with newer versions. The Pegasus one being the last developed before the died off.

The Same goes to the form of proportion they used, the Destiny had to be the most advance ship they developed to function for so long. Nothing is know what they did and what they made in there long travel from the Ori Galaxy . The aleran who thought of the Stargate probably did not live to see it work. The Stargate could of been approved by the Counsel or what ever form of gov they had when they reached the Milky way as a useful way of planetary travel and then had it mass produced..

Their Empire was centred on Earth even though it was not the First planet. So it would make sense that if you were gonna go out in a great feet of discovery or whatevr you would start from a place with great meaning that could be the Capital City So when the Destiny was lunched it was given a specific Address meant to be dialled from the Capital (Earth).

On the Episode "Before I Sleep" Janus locked the Gate to only Earth or the Point of Origin of Earth. That same technique was used on the Destiny to lock out all Gates except Earth. We didn't see no explosion or the gate going crazy when Atlantis was dialled because they were on Earth the same would of happen if Destiny was dialled from earth or the Point of Origin from Earth on the First Try.

A lot of the Ancient Technology isn't New just Improved over Billions of Years. From FTL to Warm Hole Drive the Same from Taken the Power of the Suns them Self to Taken Power from the Universe itself (Project Arcturus). Stop say Hyper drive came first We don't know that. We do know Things got updated things improved

kcordloh
November 29th, 2009, 10:14 PM

The speed of the replicator enhanced Hat'ak was extremely fast, yes. Somewhere between 4-million light years in 20-120minutes. (Estimated). But you cannot say they would be able to upgrade an Ancient upgraded cargo ship by the same factor. For all we know the Replicator's couldn't upgrade a cargo ship to any faster speeds then O'Neil did, it's not a Hat'ak. Too many unknown's, but usually in sci-fi shows (especially in Stargate) the smaller ships are slower then the bigger ships to a degree. Darts are slower then the Daedalus, so are 302's, PJ's (I forget the episode but I remember and I think it was Ellis ordering the Apollo to slow down so the PJ could come aboard, which while not strong evidence suggests the PJ cannot catch the Daedalus class, so at maximum are unable to achieve the .5c sublight that Apollo can, etc.) But anyway, I digress. Well thought out, but I don't think we can assume even if we built a replicator they could get a cargo ship going much faster then 4*10^6 ly per day. That's still damn fast though, like 12 * 10^8 ly per year.

However; that was with a bug pumping juice into the hyperdrives and after season 6 everything got degraded in speed. We kinda have to use the most recent canon for our calculations. Even the Asgard needed a day to get the Atlantis people back from Earth to Atlantis (Season 3, Episode 2).

As for my take on FTL vs Hyperspace, I would hasard a guess that it is the effect Carter used in Grace, a subspace field that allows them to bypass normal physics and speed limitations however is slow in comparison to hyperspace, much like warp drive. I would guess it isn't as slow as we think, and it probably has something like a hyperdrive to get between galaxies, I mean the void is freaking huge not to mention the void between our local group and the next.. And the drive can probably be kicked into a higher gear when the Ancients board it, as I don't really see a bunch of advanced beings figuring on their offspring being

Mongoletsi
November 30th, 2009, 08:56 AM
Even the Asgard needed a day to get the Atlantis people back from Earth to Atlantis (Season 3, Episode 2)

SGA S3E02 = Misbegotten (de-wraithing gone wrong)
SG1 S3E02 = Seth (Goauld operating on Earth for years)