A pleasant surprise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A pleasant surprise

I think Air (3) was the best yet. The high points of the episode in my opinion are where Rush tells Greer to shoot, and he actually does.
    And the makings of a great character when Eli trusts Rush to stick his arm in the event horizon

That being said, from a canon perspective, its well been established that the gate has built in safety mechanisms to prevent it from closing with organic matter in transit, and only the earth gate and/or catastrophic problems have caused something else to happen.

That being said, it remains to be seen if the gate can be active in FTL. Does the gate system "track" destiny? If not how does the destination gate get located as Destiny moves around?

I do think it was foolish for the people to go through to the other planet, even if they didn't trust Rush. I'm sure we've not seen the last of them, as they may gate around in the current galaxy and catch up later on (or have some sort of horrific sob story that drives them mad, ala Quinn Malory in Sliders after years of sliding becoming the vampire-esk-emo-character)

Either way, I think the show is taking risks Atlantis didn't. Sheppard shot Colonel Marshall Sumner in what seemed like an all-to-easy way to start up an interstellar war and create a false sense of conflict for a character who otherwise wouldn't have had a very good dynamic if he was kept in check by a superior. I think SGU could stand on its own so far with or without Greer's shot.

Originally posted by Mevi View Post
    I think Air (3) was the best yet. The high points of the episode in my opinion are where Rush tells Greer to shoot, and he actually does.
    And the makings of a great character when Eli trusts Rush to stick his arm in the event horizon

That being said, from a canon perspective, its well been established that the gate has built in safety mechanisms to prevent it from closing with organic matter in transit, and only the earth gate and/or catastrophic problems have caused something else to happen.

That being said, it remains to be seen if the gate can be active in FTL. Does the gate system "track" destiny? If not how does the destination gate get located as Destiny moves around?
    I do think it was foolish for the people to go through to the other planet, even if they didn't trust Rush. I'm sure we've not seen the last of them, as they may gate around in the current galaxy and catch up later on (or have some sort of horrific sob story that drives them mad, ala Quinn Malory in Sliders after years of sliding becoming the vampire-esk-emo-character)

Either way, I think the show is taking risks Atlantis didn't. Sheppard shot Colonel Marshall Sumner in what seemed like an all-to-easy way to start up an interstellar war and create a false sense of conflict for a character who otherwise wouldn't have had a very good dynamic if he was kept in check by a superior. I think SGU could stand on its own so far with or without Greer's shot.
    I don't think so. That would make the point of origin invalid
    Originally posted by aretood2
    Jelgate is right

Comment

The point of origin for Desinty IS invalid - it was Earth, despite the fact they were on Icarus base. -- The 9 chevron addresses might be some sort of "override" address that doesn't take into effect distance or location - rather they may simply be some sort of tracking code the gate system uses to locate the ship in real time....
      Last edited by Mevi; 09 October 2009, 09:28 PM. Reason: hypothesis

Comment

The gate isn't active during FTL Hyperspace, as the ship eventually went back into FTL once they had arrived. Considering the idea behind the address for Destiny was a password, and that password had an invalid point of origin (as if I remember right, the Icarus gate had the Earth PoO which it shouldn't have had). It's quite possible that like the long range communication stones, the address (with enough power when dialed) is able to cause the ship to drop out of FTL for a connection before returning it's programmed objective.

It's also possible they'll meet up with the other crew members next episode or two. Just because this planet was picked (perhaps because the Destiny knew it had a lifeform able to help or because it was just perfect for what they needed) doesn't necessarily make going to those planets a bad thing, it could be a trip Destiny will end up going on, or they can make contact to the planet they went to next time Destiny stops.

sigpic

Comment

Overall much better than the pilot. The plot flowed nicely and the characters were built upon. Lt. Scott was given a bit of a meaningful past, and Eli is starting to develop as well. Good plot points (sand alien, gate safety mechanism) and I would say nicely executed. However, Chloe still annoys me to no end, although she was slightly more tolerable in this one. Apparently someone will commit suicide by episode 6, and as none of the spoilers about the other 14 episodes mention her, maybe it will be her. It would make sense in terms of burdening Scott with something else he must live with as they are so close now after 2 conversations.

I would probably rate this one a 4/5 compared to the pilot being a 3/5
          WAKE FOREST UNIVERSITY 2013

Comment

Originally posted by SaberBlade;10691171[B
            ]The gate isn't active during FTL Hyperspace, as the ship eventually went back into FTL once they had arrived. Considering the idea behind the address for Destiny was a password, and that password had an invalid point of origin (as if I remember right, the Icarus gate had the Earth PoO which it shouldn't have had)[/B]. It's quite possible that like the long range communication stones, the address (with enough power when dialed) is able to cause the ship to drop out of FTL for a connection before returning it's programmed objective.

It's also possible they'll meet up with the other crew members next episode or two. Just because this planet was picked (perhaps because the Destiny knew it had a lifeform able to help or because it was just perfect for what they needed) doesn't necessarily make going to those planets a bad thing, it could be a trip Destiny will end up going on, or they can make contact to the planet they went to next time Destiny stops.
            I think that to assume the gate dropped out to receive the wormhole is a mistake - perhaps the gate didn't connect the first time because the ship was in FTL and the next time they dialed it wasn't and the point of origin doesn't actually matter when dialing the Destiny address? Maybe Icarus PoO would have worked if the ship wasn't in FTL?

Comment

I don't think it could track them through ftl.

But yeah I didn't expect part 3 to be this good, I didn't care about the religion scenes.\

However the shuttles do look a bit ugly...and they look like a beetle.
              Tst

Comment

That wasn't the shuttle we saw...assuming they are both the same, it wasn't a shuttle at all but something else.. They showed it in Air 1 or 2 from the outside.

Comment

I think that to assume the gate dropped out to receive the wormhole is a mistake - perhaps the gate didn't connect the first time because the ship was in FTL and the next time they dialed it wasn't and the point of origin doesn't actually matter when dialing the Destiny address? Maybe Icarus PoO would have worked if the ship wasn't in FTL?
                  Considering the Destiny is countless galaxies away, the odds of actually being able to dial up and connect to it when it's not in FTL would be astronomical, especially when you're under attack. If the ship was being tracked, then the address for Destiny would change, but since it didn't change then it's more than likely the ship would drop out when a connection is attempted.

sigpic

Comment

I hope they are not dead. I'm a geology major is collage and I was so exited to see a geologist on the show. Then they possibly kill her off in the third episode.

Comment

The point of origin for Desinty IS invalid - it was Earth, despite the fact they were on Icarus base. -- The 9 chevron addresses might be some sort of "override" address that doesn't take into effect distance or location - rather they may simply be some sort of tracking code the gate system uses to locate the ship in real time....
                      was thinking the same. the 9th chevron address is like a code. dosnt matter where destiny is. it can always be dialed and i dont think it canbe dialed while in FTL they couldnt with Atlantis

Comment

Originally posted by SaberBlade View Post
                        Considering the Destiny is countless galaxies away, the odds of actually being able to dial up and connect to it when it's not in FTL would be astronomical, especially when you're under attack. If the ship was being tracked, then the address for Destiny would change, but since it didn't change then it's more than likely the ship would drop out when a connection is attempted.

If the gate doesn't work in FTL, then how in the world would the ship know to drop out to accept an incoming connection?

Comment

If the gate doesn't work in FTL, then how in the world would the ship know to drop out to accept an incoming connection?
                          FTL isn't a hyperspace, in FTL you can use sensors, detect objects and be detected. However I assume that Stargate's has safety protocols that doesn't allow connection to be made while gates are in constant move due to wormhole instability and other issues.
                          The cake is a lie...

Comment

Working...
                          X