Religious angle in SGU.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Religious angle in SGU.

after watching the most recent episode, I have to say that i'm a little annoyed with the religious themes presented. Stargate has always presented itself as being a secular show, and pretty much every deity in human history has been revealed to be some kind of alien being, but apparently they didn't feel the need to quantify the most recent events as such. I seriously hope that the LT's visions were a result of an ascended ancient, or whatever the hell that was that detached from the ship at the end or something. Anything that keeps them from trying to do a half-assed religious plotline and then handwave it away with "you know he doesn't like that name" like they did in Neo-BSG. It seems like they're trying too hard to be that show.

What does everyone else think about this?

Originally posted by Darksi4190 View Post
    after watching the most recent episode, I have to say that i'm a little annoyed with the religious themes presented. Stargate has always presented itself as being a secular show, and pretty much every deity in human history has been revealed to be some kind of alien being, but apparently they didn't feel the need to quantify the most recent events as such. I seriously hope that the LT's visions were a result of an ascended ancient, or whatever the hell that was that detached from the ship at the end or something. Anything that keeps them from trying to do a half-assed religious plotline and then handwave it away with "you know he doesn't like that name" like they did in Neo-BSG. It seems like they're trying too hard to be that show.

The plot wasn't religious, just Scott's background. Like Mitchell being a Catholic.
    Click the banner or episode links to visit the virtual continuations of Stargate!
    Previous Episode: 11x03 "Shore Leave" | Previous Episode: 6x04 "Nightfall" | Now Airing: 3x06 "Eldest"

Comment

scott was suffering from the heat and like he said he let people down in the past and the combination of the two is what we saw in air pt 3
      https://twitter.com/#!/Solar_wind84

Comment

Who cares?

Are you really going to be annoyed by that scene? <Snipped by Moderator.>

It lasted for like 30 seconds and it was over.
        Last edited by Bagpuss; 09 October 2009, 08:33 PM.

Comment

What's so wrong with someone being a Christian on Stargate? You've got gays and lesbians. You've got atheists. What? Because they show a character that's Catholic you're offended? They have not presented any dieties as being aliens. You should have learned that from the movie and the first season of SG-1. The Goa'uld posed as the Egyptian gods. They weren't supposed to BE the Egyptian gods. It's okay if they show a Christian character, just like it's okay if they show a secular character. Camille Wray has been confirmed to be a lesbian (sorry for the spoilers, but it's already known). But apparently there's no problem with that, right? Nothing wrong with a Christian on the show. That's the world we live in and TPTB are showing the different cultures and backgrounds that make up the people on the Destiny. If you can't handle that, then SGU isn't the show for you.

Jesus is Lord!

Comment

i'm not so much annoyed by the scene itself as I am by the failure to quantify it as the result of a sufficiently advanced alien like they've done with every other such scene throughout the show. I just get kind of annoyed when they lend some legitimacy to the christian religion, given that TPTB feel free to take pot shots at everyone else. The last time I was annoyed in such a manner was the beginning of SG-1 season 9 when daniel states that he's always believed that they'd had someone watching out for them, a belief he'd previously stated...... well never actually.
            Since the end of Neo-BSG, i've become a lot more weary of religious plotlines given the way they basically pulled a resolution out of their asses and said "god did it." The manner in which SGU is attempting to emulate neo-BSG has not helped in this regard.

as for my personal beliefs, yes, I am an athiest. however, that has no bearing on my dislike of this episode. I have no problem with shows in which gods exist. I'm quite fond of Warhammer 40,000, and there's gods and demons up the yin yang in that.

Comment

Well, the episode never stated that God existed. Nor did it say that he didn't. TPTB don't want to cross a controversial line. The Egyptian gods were represented as having bodies and having a certain appearance. God isn't portrayed that way except through Jesus Christ. TPTB aren't going to put someone in there that tries to act like Jesus. Besides, the Goa'uld weren't exposed to Christianity, nor was any other race for that matter. Even the Asgard posed as Norse gods, not actually claiming to be them.

Jesus is Lord!

Comment

Originally posted by Cameron Mitchel View Post
                *snip*
                I don't give a flaming rats ass that he's a christian. Carter's stated her christian faith multiple times since season 5, and I've got no problem with her (aside from her non-regulation haircut in Atlantis) I have a problem with the fact that they apparently felt no need to quantify Scott's visions as a result of an alien being, like they've done with every other similar scene on the show. I'll admit, I should probably give the show more of a chance to do it right, but the similarities to Neo-BSG have me on guard, since the religious elements in that show were handled so poorly.

Comment

It was just one scene, I'd be annoyed too if the entire show was about Christians...

Because I'd feel like they are trying to convert me.

But I feel that they were just showing that the particular character is religious.

Comment

I just don't understand what's wrong here. TPTB want to represent humans on a variety levels. I think Christians count here considering over a billion people around the world are. Besides that, it wasn't like the entire episode was focused on that. In my opinion, they presented the faith as a part of Scott's background. I saw no 'preaching' here and I believe TPTB will simply portray it.

Honestly, I don't see a big deal here. As a Christian, I never had a problem with Rodney or any other Atheist character state their beliefs on religion. That's simply their beliefs and while I may not agree with them, TPTB are portraying a group of human beings.

There are no regrets. Thank you Brad Wright and everyone else for SGU,
                    and the amazing Stargate franchise in general.

Comment

Originally posted by Pharaoh Atem View Post
                      scott was suffering from the heat and like he said he let people down in the past and the combination of the two is what we saw in air pt 3

Plus who is to say it was not the alien dust storm thinggy trying to communicate with him, using his dreams as a way to do so.

Comment

Originally posted by Orion Antreas View Post
                        I just don't understand what's wrong here. TPTB want to represent humans on a variety levels. I think Christians count here considering over a billion people around the world are. Besides that, it wasn't like the entire episode was focused on that. In my opinion, they presented the faith as a part of Scott's background. I saw no 'preaching' here and I believe TPTB will simply portray it.
                        Exactly! Man, people just love to complain about everything...don't they? We saw it first with the people who didn't like the sex scene, and now this? Apparently it's just so radical to portray humans as they actually are. (i.e. diverse).

The way TPTB portrayed Scott's Christianity (thus far) is absolutely fine by me. It's not preachy, and it doesn't somehow lower how much I've started to like his character. In fact, I'd go so far as to say he's becoming my favorite quite easily.

Very cool character, and we're definitely getting hints of a very complicated past with him.
                        Sig by Pandora's Box
                        sigpic

Comment

I thought it was presented great. They didn't cross a controversial line but realistically presented a religious figurehead
                          Originally posted by aretood2
                          Jelgate is right

Comment

"You're make mountains out of ant-hills. Mountains!"
                            - Turk
                            These are the wrong people... in the wrong place.

Comment

Let's see...33% of the worlds population pratice Christianity...21% Islam... 14 % Hinduism...6% Buddhism...and so forth...why not show the religious background of some of the characters? It makes no sence to completely disreguard religion and make all the characters nonreligious...that would be totally unrealistic...duh! I'm Catholic, a Stargate "Geek", and proud to be both!

Comment

Working...
                              X