This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

stargate books

you know all those books in the book section of the site are those just published fan fictions or actual unreleased episode and etc
    We will cross that bridge when we come to it.

They're not written by anyone actually involved in the show, if that's what you mean. So technically, yeah, you might say they're published fan fiction.
    Twitter / YouTube / Twitch

Comment

They are licensed novels, so they're done with the approval of MGM. But they the show's writers/producers are not involved with them, and they aren't official "canon" for the Stargate universe. More like extended adventures.

Comment

I read a brief extract of one of the new Stargate novels (I forget which) in issue two of Titan's Officical Stargate Magazine.

I'll reserve judgement until I read the whole novel, but - does anyone know where the authors are based?
        It seems to me, from one of the military terms used that they're Brits.
        sigpic
        Long before you and I were born, others beat these benches with their empty cups,
        To the night and its stars, to the here and now with who we are.

Another sunrise with my sad captains, with who I choose to lose my mind,
        And if it's all we only pass this way but once, what a perfect waste of time.

Comment

<<does anyone know where the authors are based?>>

They are all living in the UK, I believe. Sabine Bauer is, anyway.

Sparky

Comment

i think fandy insinuates, or it's at least my interpretation, that they send the story outlines to Bridge and make sure they're not contradicting/going to contradict existing canon

part of their rules are no long lost siblings, no killing off of established characteters, no made up relationships...basically the books are set IN the stargate universe and can't alter it in any way

status quo must be achieved by the end and all toys put back where you found them
            Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

the publisher is based in the uk.

i believe books are wat the 2nd form of cannon along with novelizations and scripts.

but according to some of these, theyre checked and approved by the producers!
              sigpic
              Stargate Destiny - Coming Again Soon

Comment

hopefully, this version of original Stargate fiction will be better than the last lot - they were so boring... We need the equivalent of a Peter DeLuise episode.

If anyone out there's actually read any of the new novels, I'd like to know what they thought of them.
                sigpic
                Long before you and I were born, others beat these benches with their empty cups,

Comment

check out the other threads and find out opinions!
                  sigpic
                  Stargate Destiny - Coming Again Soon

Comment

I picked up a copy of Sabine C Bauer's "Trial by Fire" in the Glasgow branch of Borders Bookshop last Saturday, and having rattled through it virtually non-stop, I can confirm that it rocks!
                    sigpic

Comment

the books have to fit in with continuity. which isn't always as hard as it seems. You can write a whole big long adventure set between two episodes....you just have to be careful not to contradict anything that's gonna happen in those two episodes

I've read trial by fire and enjoyed it. Sacrifice moon was ok. not stellar but not horrible either. Matter of HOnor is somewhere between the uk and us
                      Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Has anyone read any of these Stargate related novels?

• Living Gods: Stargate System Lords (Stargate Sg-1) by Brannon Boren
                        • SG-1 First Steps: The Stargate Unexplored Worlds Sourcebook (Stargate)
                        • Stargate SG-1 Role Playing Game: Core Rulebook (d20) by Not Available
                        • Stepping Through The Stargate: Science, Archaeology And The Military In Stargate Sg1 (Smart Pop Series) by P. N. Elrod
                        • Stargate SG - 1: The Essential Scripts by Sharon Gosling

Are any of them worth investing time and money into?
                        ______
                        Visit my Entertainment News blog at http://blogs.delphiforums.com/mrreedwriter

Join in the discussion at MichaelShanksArchive

Comment

Essential scripts yes, the others no.
                          I SURF FOR THE FREEDOM!

Comment

Originally posted by Matt G
                            Essential scripts yes, the others no.
                            Ok so that is yes you read ES and no you haven't read the others or Yes ES is worth investing in and no the others aren't?
                            ______
                            Visit my Entertainment News blog at http://blogs.delphiforums.com/mrreedwriter

Join in the discussion at MichaelShanksArchive

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
                              the books have to fit in with continuity. which isn't always as hard as it seems. You can write a whole big long adventure set between two episodes....you just have to be careful not to contradict anything that's gonna happen in those two episodes

I've read trial by fire and enjoyed it. Sacrifice moon was ok. not stellar but not horrible either. Matter of HOnor is somewhere between the uk and us
                              Technically, the term you're looking for - that of fitting a story between two episodes - is called stretching the moment.
                              Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, but - I seem to dimly remember way way back in Season One ("The Nox"?), Carter mentioned that the SGC had been operational for 18 months...

Anyway, I think that the main reason these new Stargate novels are good (so far), is that the authors are fans - just like us.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X