PDA

View Full Version : MSgt. Ronald Greer Discussion/Jamil Walker/Appreciation

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

major davis
August 7th, 2009, 11:27 AM
So In the new behind the scenes video.

http://video.syfy.com/promos/behind_the_scenes/stargate-universe--stepping-through-the-gate/v1141398

Young comes into the room where Greer is standing and says they are under attack and gives greer a gun and a vest and says

consider all charges dropped

So I guess this has to do with Greer's temper. Any opinions/speculation?

Thanks!!

Coronach
August 7th, 2009, 11:34 AM
It definitely has to do with his temper, I'd say. He probably did something either way out side the rules or insubordinate (or both), and he got in trouble for it. I wonder what the severity of it would be though. Hmmm.

flossey
August 7th, 2009, 02:08 PM
I read somewhere that

Lt Tamara Johansen is assigned by Col Young as ships councler or something as well as doctor and he orders her to find out why Greer has such a temper. I cant really remember what exactly he said but it was along the lines of askin her if she knew what it was like to die and and that it changes you.

Dammit I cant seem to find the website I read it on now

major davis
August 7th, 2009, 03:42 PM
hmm yeah but in the interviews and stuff I hear Greer is disciplined, usually disiclipined marines don't do so much that they get charges pressed on them..... hmmmmmmmmm?!!???!

jelgate
August 7th, 2009, 03:51 PM
Discplined marines are no different then any other group. You have your crinimals and law abiding people

major davis
August 7th, 2009, 06:20 PM
Discplined marines are no different then any other group. You have your crinimals and law abiding people

EHH, a uncontroable guy with a bad temper that made it to master seargent in like 6 years... from what I know about the marines, that would not happen, however I know little about Greer and his situation so I will reserve judgment till I watch the show. ;)

spinny magee
August 7th, 2009, 06:43 PM
Maybe Young said to Greer "Stop playing with your Guns" he threw a tantrum about it and was going to have him court marshalled.

jelgate
August 7th, 2009, 07:19 PM
EHH, a uncontroable guy with a bad temper that made it to master seargent in like 6 years... from what I know about the marines, that would not happen, however I know little about Greer and his situation so I will reserve judgment till I watch the show. ;)

That happens to tons of people. Who knows when and what causes this bad temper to occur. All a CO cares about is that you do your job

major davis
August 7th, 2009, 09:34 PM
That happens to tons of people. Who knows when and what causes this bad temper to occur. All a CO cares about is that you do your job

Unless their temper is a liability. Again, we haven't seen the show yet so I'm not assuming anything yet.

Coronach
August 7th, 2009, 09:43 PM
Unless their temper is a liability. Again, we haven't seen the show yet so I'm not assuming anything yet.

I think it's been implied that he might be a bit hot-headed at the very least. His original name in the casting calls was Ron "Psycho", so they may not have done away with that aspect of his personality. :P

major davis
August 7th, 2009, 10:05 PM
Dude there are no psycho marines just floating around. If you do have a temper issue, they break you down and build you up into an obiedient soldier. The marines don't tollerate hot heads who break the rules.

jelgate
August 7th, 2009, 10:15 PM
Dude there are no psycho marines just floating around. If you do have a temper issue, they break you down and build you up into an obiedient soldier. The marines don't tollerate hot heads who break the rules.

You would be surprised. They are ways to slip through the cracks if you will. It alll depends on the kind of hot headness

Platschu
August 7th, 2009, 11:30 PM
I hope they found out something creative for Greer. I would like to not see him as the "strong and very quiet macho guy", because his role would be similar to Ronon or Teal'c. :o

Solokiller
August 8th, 2009, 04:51 AM
Did anybody notice that he's wearing desert camouflage? Maybe the parts that we've seen that take place on a desert planet are from before they leave for the destiny.

Wib
August 8th, 2009, 04:51 AM
I hope they found out something creative for Greer. I would like to not see him as the "strong and very quiet macho guy", because his role would be similar to Ronon or Teal'c. :o

Agreed, either that or doing a Ford and getting rid of him after a season because TPTB cant figure out to do with him. Back to topic now, I guess the only way to find out is to watch the show and see, although if he's really that bad I would have thought that he'd have been courtmarshalled some time ago.

major davis
August 8th, 2009, 06:12 AM
Did anybody notice that he's wearing desert camouflage? Maybe the parts that we've seen that take place on a desert planet are from before they leave for the destiny.
Actually if you look closely in the trailers you will see that most of the military on the Icarus Base are wearing that uniform. It's standard issue marine desert camo, and considering the Icarus base is on a barren dry planet and not a lush forest planet, it makes sense.

major davis
August 8th, 2009, 06:14 AM
Actually if you look closely in the trailers you will see that most of the military on the Icarus Base are wearing that uniform. It's standard issue marine desert camo, and considering the Icarus base is on a barren dry planet and not a lush forest planet, it makes sense.

I just realized it could be PTSD, considering the fact that Greer says killing people changed him.

Helmar
August 8th, 2009, 08:58 AM
I just realized it could be PTSD, considering the fact that Greer says killing people changed him.

What does PTSD mean?

Coronach
August 8th, 2009, 08:59 AM
What does PTSD mean?

Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Posttraumatic_stress_disorder)

Not sure if Greer qualifies...depends on his past I guess.

jelgate
August 8th, 2009, 09:29 AM
Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Posttraumatic_stress_disorder)

Not sure if Greer qualifies...depends on his past I guess.

I doubt its Post Tramuatic Stress Disorder that get Greer locked up. You wouldn't be putting him Icarus Base if he had recently suffered a psychological breakdown

Coronach
August 8th, 2009, 09:41 AM
I doubt its Post Tramuatic Stress Disorder that get Greer locked up. You wouldn't be putting him Icarus Base if he had recently suffered a psychological breakdown

Indeed. Unless it went undiagnosed for some reason and he was able to hide it up until then...but I don't think this is the case. I think it's probably a temper thing...and he steps out of line.

major davis
August 8th, 2009, 11:33 AM
Indeed. Unless it went undiagnosed for some reason and he was able to hide it up until then...but I don't think this is the case. I think it's probably a temper thing...and he steps out of line.

Often, many soldiers are cleared, until they start having breakdowns, still, idk what he did. One thing JWS said was that his character had a problem working with civilians and has a temper, so it makes sense that maybe he lost his temper when working with civies or something....

Platschu
August 8th, 2009, 12:57 PM
What if he has other dark secret? Maybe he is a replicator, who was constructed on Earth (like Fran). And his programming began to fail... Or he is an Ancient, who was on Destiny earlier, but his memory was erased... :D

Off. Did you know Jamil's father played Grant in the Mission Impossible series?
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0808607/

IMDB - Phil Morris ("Grant Collier")
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0606862/
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0094511/

PG15
August 8th, 2009, 01:01 PM

Off. Did you know Jamil's father played Grant in the Mission Impossible series?
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0808607/

IMDB - Phil Morris ("Grant Collier")
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0606862/
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0094511/

I didn't know that.

Most likely because it's not true. :p

Coronach
August 8th, 2009, 01:03 PM
I didn't know that.

Most because it's not true. :p

Lol, Comic Con panel all over again ;)

Stormtrooper
August 8th, 2009, 01:11 PM
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0808607/bio

Trivia

He is the son of Phil Morris.

He is the grandson of Greg Morris.

He is the nephew of Iona Morris.

It's all IMDb's fault :D

jelgate
August 8th, 2009, 01:19 PM
IMDB is about as reliable as Wikipedia:P

Coronach
August 8th, 2009, 01:25 PM
IMDB is about as reliable as Wikipedia:P

Wiki really isn't as bad as people make it out to be. Obscure things can be pretty screwed up though :(

Platschu
August 8th, 2009, 01:52 PM
May I ask what is the truth? Are they not relatives? :o

PG15
August 8th, 2009, 02:43 PM
Nope. They are not related.

August 10th, 2009, 05:40 AM
i'm putting money that the stuff going on with greer is iraq/afghanistan/war on terror related.

Helmar
August 10th, 2009, 06:17 AM
I doubt someone carrying mental problems from Iraq or Afghanistan would be cleared to go off world.

major davis
August 10th, 2009, 09:37 AM

Here check out Greer's profile, the answer is in here, you just have to steer around some spoilers on his page. Here is the link.

http://www.stargate-sg1-solutions.com/wiki/Ronald_Greer

Here's the snippet.

Col. Everett Young sends Greer to Lt. Tamara Johansen, the ship's only officer with medical experience, so that she can determine what's behind his anger and why he keeps to himself, but is first in line to sacrifice himself to save others. Greer hints that he had been dead (possibly a near-death experience) and that this changes the way that someone looks at life. (Based on spoilers for "Air", subject to change;

Maybe he

Died and was revived a minute later???

jenks
August 10th, 2009, 12:36 PM
I doubt someone carrying mental problems from Iraq or Afghanistan would be cleared to go off world.

Assuming it had been picked up on by his peers...

Tawny
August 10th, 2009, 01:17 PM
From everything I've read, it doesn't seem so much of a diagnosable mental issue, just general problems. It seems he's experienced something very few people have, annd it's made him draw back into himself and be unwilling to get too involved with people, though he'd gladly give his life for the cause.

Coronach
August 10th, 2009, 03:40 PM
From everything I've read, it doesn't seem so much of a diagnosable mental issue, just general problems. It seems he's experienced something very few people have, annd it's made him draw back into himself and be unwilling to get too involved with people, though he'd gladly give his life for the cause.

I see this as a likely possibility too. Based on that aspect of his past, I could see that affecting him in some way. I think we'll have to wait and see exactly how things are in context though.

Helmar
August 11th, 2009, 12:26 AM
Maybe he is the first who survived a zat twice, because he touched a lightning rod in between and then he couldn't move until he was rescued. Who says his problems aren't SGC born?

Coronach
August 11th, 2009, 08:36 AM
Edited my post because it was stupid.

August 11th, 2009, 08:56 AM
you can delete posts you know, just do edit, then between go advanced and cancel is "delete"

JedI Master of the Gate
August 17th, 2009, 07:51 AM
I just watched the SG-1, season 6 episode "Memento".
Whats that got to do with Greer, a Character that was created about 7 or so years after that episode first aired?

Well, and I triple checked this to make shore;
Theres this one scene (Just after the opening credits) where O'Neill contacts Hammond to ask why he and SG-1 have to be on Prometheus and Hammond says that "Both he and General Greer believe its in the best intrest to have them there."
So aprently theres a General Greer in the 'gate universe. So maby, SGU's Greer is releated to this General... maby.

Major Tyler
October 8th, 2009, 05:58 AM
Since no one is talking about this character, I guess I can be the one to start. I thought he was really interesting. He's unstable and aggressive, but he's not cold or uncaring. When he was rescuing people from the fallen ceiling on Icarus, he seemed to be genuine in his desire to help them. I noticed his face after Sen. Armstrong gave his life to save them. Greer kept staring at the monitor, and I could tell he was torn by his decision to show Armstrong how to seal the hatch.

I'm looking forward to learning more about this character. Maybe he just needs hug. :P

The Prophet
October 8th, 2009, 06:15 AM
He reminds me of OJ Simpson. Appearance/ Voice wise. But I suppose that's the actor.

Not that looking like OJ is bad in anyway, it lends to the character's unstablity, seeing as OJ is a bit... unhinged, in some regards.

diMaggio
October 8th, 2009, 06:24 AM
I think Greer is not a psycho, he just can't handle fear so good.
Remember when he threatened to shoot Rush if he pushes a button?
That was because he was afraid something bad might gonna happen, and he was terrified more than anybody.
He can't handle fear very good, and his MO of protection is to attack.
Him being aggressive really is, IMO, bein highly nervous.

That's the reason why I think he is a nice guy once you've come to know him.
Until then though, you're on his potential list of dangerous guys, because not knowing somebody makes that person an unpredictable factor in his eyes which... again produces fear.

Another example:
When the IOA lady confronted him about him having been in detention and that she suggested they all should think about what to do with him now, Greer was threatened by her and therefore got frightened again, because her trying to take control over his situation.
And since he attacks when frightened, he had to be stopped.

I guess this is how he got into detention. Everytime somebody threatens/frightens him, he has an emotional "click" he can't handle and from there it's almost autopiloting in attack mode.

So really, I pity the guy and if you're not an a**hole to him you shouldn't have a problem with him. But I can see that the IOA chick isn't that thoughtful.^^

BenRoethig
October 8th, 2009, 06:27 AM
I don't know about Greer. He's an E-8 Master Sergeant, only behind First Sergeants, Mastery Gunnys, and Sergeant Majors as far as enlisted people go. He doesn't seems like too much a loose cannon to have gotten this far. Also, if he's that much of a hothead, Scott calling him Sergeant should have gotten on his nerve by now. Marines do not shorten ranks.

UniverseSizePlotHole
October 8th, 2009, 06:36 AM
Indeed. In a sense what they left behind may not matter - Young seems to trust him (chain of command/do as directed) easier than we got from Everett V Sheppard vibe or Sumner V Sheppard for that matter notwithstanding the disciplinary matter we'll get to know more about. He's played by Jamil Walker Smith - I don't recognise much from IMDB so hopefully a Season and more of SGU get him know. I'll be back :ford: (I used Ford's smiley but I don't know whether they managed to get many caps/hats onto the Destiny lol!)

Commander Zelix
October 8th, 2009, 07:13 AM
I wish he wont be the quiet tough guy like Teal'c but have more cool "badass" line like: "Subtle man, Subtle" or "You don't want to kill me, I don't want to kill you". We didn't see much of him, so thats my hope.

Coronach
October 8th, 2009, 08:55 PM
I wish he wont be the quiet tough guy like Teal'c but have more cool "badass" line like: "Subtle man, Subtle" or "You don't want to kill me, I don't want to kill you". We didn't see much of him, so thats my hope.

I totally agree. I am intrigued by Greer so far, and I'm very much looking forward to learning more about him. He has a very unique personality that I didn't expect would happen.

Lahela
October 9th, 2009, 05:20 AM
I really took to him very quickly - much more quickly than I expected to. I suppose I had assumed he would be one dimensional, but he's clearly not. I like him a lot and think he could be a great character to watch. :)

Major Tyler
October 9th, 2009, 05:23 AM
I really took to him very quickly - much more quickly than I expected to. I suppose I had assumed he would be one dimensional, but he's clearly not. I like him a lot and think he could be a great character to watch. :)If I were on that ship, I think I'd stick closest to Greer, because if some beastie jumped out from somewhere, I'd trust him most to kill it dead! :P

spinny magee
October 9th, 2009, 05:25 AM
I think Greer just has no patience with other people which doesn't help...and he just has a bad temper. I don't see it being more complicated then that. Although he does have some calmness in situations like these, he should be a good character to watch...but I can see developments coming with his character.

FightforAtlantis
October 9th, 2009, 08:58 PM
Okay, so was I the only one who thought it was a little disappointing that the only black guy on the show happens to be represented negatively (e.g. getting in trouble, pushing Rush around)?

I also felt that when he was pushing Rush around on the desert planet, it was a really lame moment. I don't know, I just couldn't help laughing, the interaction between Rush and Greer was simply very amusing. Like what?! Get real! Rush was like whining "give me water!" And it was such a lame scene. I don't know how you can watch that and not ask yourself "is this really happening?"

koroush47
October 9th, 2009, 09:01 PM
Greer is going to be shot by rush.

Hermiiod
October 9th, 2009, 09:12 PM
Greer is my absolute favourite character thus far! I like how his character is portrayed. I think there is a lot of potential for character development for him as well as all the SGU characters.... I'm not going to judge any character until just after the 3rd episode anyways. I mean, you can't really know someone's character just after three episode.

koroush47
October 9th, 2009, 09:15 PM
Greer is the teal'c/ronan of the show.

Descended
October 9th, 2009, 09:16 PM
Greer is going to be shot by rush.

Agreed, if I was Rush, the first time I was given a gun Greer wouldn't come back from that mission - pretty screwed up team when you are guessing which one will murder the other first.

Jack_Bauer
October 9th, 2009, 09:17 PM
At the moment my opinions on the characters are all over the place. I just don't know what to make of Rush, one minute his all about saving the ship and the next his whining in the Desert. And Eli, in the first part of the premier he was ok and I thought he would be a decent character. But come the second and third parts he was an annoying lil sh!t. Honestly I wanted him to die.

For me, Greer is fairly one dimensional, his just the stereotypical black soldier at the moment. And that's not being racist, I mean stereotypical in the sense that he is the 'black soldier' regularly depicted on TV and in films.

MattSilver 3k
October 9th, 2009, 09:23 PM
Greer was not written as a black guy, okay? JM confirmed it today in his blog:

I’ve mentioned in previous entries that the “angry military character” – Ron “Psycho” Stasiak – was not originally envisioned as a young black man. But Jamil Walker Smith blew us away with his audition and landed the role.

So your point in that he's a disappointing portrayal of a black guy is moot.

That said, I like him. Wild and unpredictable. I can't hate that.

dasNdanger
October 9th, 2009, 09:28 PM
I like Greer a lot. This group needs a 'greer' - they are ill-disciplined and self-seeking (including Greer), but at least Greer has a sense of duty. He could have let Rush die - he didn't. He could have left Scott behind - he didn't. Sometimes you need a strong character who will cross the line when you have a bunch of people who are all crossing the same line. This will show us what the guy is made of, and I'm interested in seeing exactly what that is.

das

SaberBlade
October 9th, 2009, 09:32 PM
I don't see him as represented negatively to be honest. I think Rush jumped to the stereotypical conclusion that Greer being black meant that outside Military Service Greer would be either dead or in prison. Considering Greer just laughed it off, I do believe there is a backstory to explain why Greer has problems with Rush (I don't recall learning why Greer was locked up in Air pt1) and perhaps even issues with the Icarus mission.

I think that the relationship between Greer and Rush will be more realistic when it comes to their interactions as opposed to O'Neill and Jackson and even Sheppard and McKay.

I think that Greer not being in command of the mission or an exploration team, it allows him to be more vocal about his issues, similar to Feretti and Jackson in the original movie, as O'Neil in the movie, O'Neill with Carter and even Sheppard with McKay couldn't exactly take out their frustrations. That said, I think we could have seen a similar scene in the original movie had Jackson been willing to stand up for himself, unlike Rush who was willing to fight with a trained US soldier because of it.

Lightning Ducj
October 9th, 2009, 09:42 PM
I assume that since Greer was assigned to Icarus that he is, in general, a good person and a good soldier. and that something happened at Icarus that got him confined

BurningIce
October 9th, 2009, 09:43 PM
Okay, so was I the only one who thought it was a little disappointing that the only black guy on the show happens to be represented negatively (e.g. getting in trouble, pushing Rush around)?

It wasn't negative. You have two guys with clinical and cold personalities, yet with different perspectives, one military and one science. Both also think they understand what makes the other tick, but in fact do not. Both have shown they are not afraid of physical confrontation.

Jamil Smith pulls it off quite well.

Landers
October 9th, 2009, 09:56 PM
Not sure why, but I like this guy. As someone said, he could be this show's Teal'c, or Ronon. Total loose cannon, but loyal once you gain his trust. At this point he is one of the few I'm truly interested in seeing.

BurningIce
October 9th, 2009, 10:15 PM
I like Greer a lot. This group needs a 'greer' - they are ill-disciplined and self-seeking (including Greer), but at least Greer has a sense of duty. He could have let Rush die - he didn't. He could have left Scott behind - he didn't.
When you say "self-seeking", do you mean self-serving as in selfish? If so, I don't think Greer is self-seeking. Greer is headstrong and does what needs to be done, damn the consequences and what other's think.... just like Dr Rush IMO.

I'd even characterise Greer as having many similarities to Col O'Neill (BUT not the same and definitely distinct), just with a much darker less idealised portrayal.

Pharaoh Atem
October 9th, 2009, 10:30 PM
i loved greer from the start and i REALLY liked him in this ep. he don't take crap from no one and he's very loyal to his fellow military i liked that

Jason
October 9th, 2009, 10:41 PM
I kinda saw him as a loose cannon in the first couple of episodes, and this episode did not change that for me. Greer is definetely one to do what has to be done. Who else would have let Senator Armstrong go like he did at that point, or shoot that one idiot(don't know his name). For that I like his character. I can't wait to see further Rush/Greer conflicts/interactions.

Cold Fuzz
October 9th, 2009, 10:48 PM
Greer is my absolute favourite character thus far! I like how his character is portrayed. I think there is a lot of potential for character development for him as well as all the SGU characters.... I'm not going to judge any character until just after the 3rd episode anyways. I mean, you can't really know someone's character just after three episode.

Copy that. Though it was obvious from the premiere that he would follow in the footsteps of Teal'c and Ronon, Greer's got a unique edge to him that I find fascinating and humorous at the same time. Teal'c and Ronon were focused and quiet. Greer, however, is all over the place verbally and strikes me as the type who would somehow get a big laugh out of a grenade detonating right near him.

netwerk
October 9th, 2009, 10:58 PM
I like the show but Greer's attitude puts a real negative spin on things. I'm hoping he is killed is some sort of gate accident.

Mevi
October 9th, 2009, 11:03 PM
Ronon was a lot better than Ford, but no offense to Jason, was a character that shouldn't have been in Atlantis. A lot of stuff shouldn't have happened in Atlantis that did (Teyla/Ronon are my biggest gripes - if Weir ordered Teyla on the team it would have been one thing, but Sheppard suggested it which seemed very out of place).

Sheppard (military) McKay (Civ) Teyla (Alien civ) and Ronan (Alien hostile soldier).

Thats all to say that SGU has a lot more believable makeup than SGA did. Don't get me wrong, I tolerated SGA (and would go so far as to say I enjoyed it) but my biggest fear is SGU becoming SGA 2.0 - to compare Greer to Ronan and Teal'c I think would be a mistake, and I think TPTB know that and will make his character a bit more dynamic.

Cold Fuzz
October 9th, 2009, 11:31 PM
i loved greer from the start and i REALLY liked him in this ep. he don't take crap from no one and he's very loyal to his fellow military i liked that

My absolute favorite moment for Greer in this episode was when Rush was disparaging Scott about whatever figure from his past he was seeking approval from, he decided to kick Rush rather than saying something. I loved it! :D

Devilshock
October 9th, 2009, 11:37 PM
As an African American we still dont know alot about Greer so lets not talk about sterotypes for all we know Greer. The story so far is only about 3 or 4 main character. Give it time then only then will I BE ABLE TO DECIDE THAT IT IS A STEROTYPE BLACK CHARACTER!

Cecil Brax
October 9th, 2009, 11:55 PM
Well,

Greer is doing what people do when they get trapped in tough situations like that, which is not get along. When you get into a situation like they are in where there is obvious danger, people tend to:

A.) Not do what others want them to cause they think their idea is best but not really in a leadership roll.
B.) Not do anything and follow the people who they think are in charge.
C.) Start doing whacky out of their mind crazy stuff.
D.) Take charge either to try and save themselves, or others.

Greer is kind of a C for me at the moment. He's threatening to shoot people, thought about hitting a woman who was saying something he didn't like, he IS shooting people as of tonights episode, and debates following orders but doesn't seem to want to take control on his own.

Having been in a potentially life threatening situation, (twice actually though nothing like they are going through) you get to see what people's real character is. The soldiers are a little better trained to deal with it, but even some of them aren't obviously the 'best' soldiers or they wouldn't be stealing food, running off on their own, disobeying orders, or shooting people.

Yeah he's kind of a jerk, that Greer is, but I think he's going to be a major plot device for the writers to move him here or there and create or solve conflict between characters. One I look forward to watching.

- CB

Ponchoandy
October 10th, 2009, 12:01 AM
Truth is, since the show is more about the characters and internal conflict, I have a feeling we're all going to hate every main character at some point for awhile.

Shan Bruce Lee
October 10th, 2009, 12:23 AM
I think Greer is a great character. He's obviously got a few issues but if you look at what he's done so far he's maybe the best soldier on the ship. When Young let him out of his cell he didn't waste any time to get into the fight, and when they detonated the ruble in the Icarus base he covered Chloe and then didn't waste a second to take off running into the cloud of smoke debris to start getting people out.

In part 3 he was the one running back and forth to help save everybody on the away team, dragging Lt. Scott back, and he didn't hesitate to shoot Franklin in order to save his life. And even after all of that my favorite moment was when he gave the gun to Eli. You could tell he was getting aggravated but he still went back to pull the slide for him.

He's willing to do whatever he has to, but there're still signs that he cares.

kirmit
October 10th, 2009, 12:56 AM
I went in with low expectations for the greer character but thus far I'm really liking him and he is def nothing like tealc/ronon, well not yet anyway.

Vapor
October 10th, 2009, 01:33 AM
Truth is, since the show is more about the characters and internal conflict, I have a feeling we're all going to hate every main character at some point for awhile.

I think that depends on how you define "hate" in this sense.

Greer's actions so far have been outrageous for a military officer. Totally off the wall. Worthy of getting him disciplined six ways from sunday, if not discharged completely.

But I love all of this. I would probably hate his personality if I had to deal with him myself, but he brings an awesome flavor to the show.

JoshuaJSlone
October 10th, 2009, 06:53 AM
:daniel: Can I have some water?
:tealc: Ask again and I will be forced to use the zat'nik'tel upon you twice, Daniel Jackson.

I think Rush jumped to the stereotypical conclusion that Greer being black meant that outside Military Service Greer would be either dead or in prison.
I thought the reason for that was more that even in the rules-and-regulation-heavy military Greer can't keep himself from getting locked up, kicking people, and threatening to shoot them, so what would he be like with even fewer restraints?

thekillman
October 10th, 2009, 07:13 AM
i died laughing when Wallace is left behind with rush, Greer gives Wallace his gun, and then wallace is like "how do i use this". then Greer goes back just to show him how.

really, that was funny beyond imagination.

also, why does everyone make such a big problem of being black or white? do i look like i care? so what, it's a big group of white with a few people black. the problem isnt ours.

if the people who are black want to be represented more, simply get more good black actors. well, there are a few very good actors, but they are too high for stargate. for the type of actors SG needs, there seem to be very few. also, Jamil Walker Smith was cast because he was so damn terrific, not because his character was a soldier ready to be court-martialled

The Mighty 6 platoon
October 10th, 2009, 07:37 AM
I think that depends on how you define "hate" in this sense.

Greer's actions so far have been outrageous for a military officer. Totally off the wall. Worthy of getting him disciplined six ways from sunday, if not discharged completely.

But I love all of this. I would probably hate his personality if I had to deal with him myself, but he brings an awesome flavor to the show.

Eh how’s that. Speaking from a military perspective Greer had clearly done something to earn a place in lockup but apart from that his actions once released would not have raised an eyebrow. He was released by Young and placed in a position of authority, since then he has had to deal with panicking civilians in a dangerous situation, they needed to be locked down. Shooting the scientist is also an exception, the guy was about to walk off with the remote to the gate stranding them there and the mission would have been compromised. In the end he helped Rush in the desert and has obeyed all orders passed down to him by senior officers.

Greer is actually a pretty good representation of a marine master Sergeant. As an NCO he will be combat experienced and should be expected to elicit respect from his men. From personnel experience you don’t muck around with senior sergeants, even if you are a superior officer, you take their advice and if you have a problem with them, you deal with it in private.

Descended
October 10th, 2009, 10:01 AM
Threatening to murder the lead scientist in cold-blood despite a commanding officer yelling at you to put down the gun doesn't sound like the military ideal.

Nemises
October 10th, 2009, 10:13 AM
I dont like the way he treated rush and i dont like him.

TheHomegaMan
October 10th, 2009, 10:24 AM
Threatening to murder the lead scientist in cold-blood despite a commanding officer yelling at you to put down the gun doesn't sound like the military ideal.

The military "ideal" got left behind. The cold pragmatism and desire to keep the most people safe has taken over for him. He thought Rush would blow the ship up by trying to reset life support, so he threatened to take Rush out. Rush was slowing him down and keeping him from completing a critical mission on a timer, so he threatened to take Rush out. Are you seeing a pattern here beyond "Shoot the arrogant scientist"? You should.

Greer's pretty obviously about doing what he needs to for what he sees as the greater good. If Rush obstructs it, then perhaps he needs to go.

Major Tyler
October 10th, 2009, 10:28 AM
"Air, Pt. 3" was kind of a mixed bag for dear ol' Ron. I was deeply impressed with his dedication to saving Lt. Scott, and I'm loving how Greer treats Eli with respect, but I was horrified (and frankly disgusted) by how he assaults Rush while he's on the ground early in the episode. I'm not saying Rush wasn't being a snobby jackass, but Greer's violence was beyond unacceptable.

I also couldn't understand why Greer wouldn't give Rush some water. Rush selflessly (a rare thing for him) offered his water to Matt, and Greer should have recognized that. If Rush drank all of his own water, and then demanded Greer's bottle, he would have deserved to be smacked down. I'm beginning to think that Greer uses fear to manipulate people he doesn't like, and when one of those people isn't scared, he resorts to violence.

He's a very interesting character, without a doubt! :cool:

Descended
October 10th, 2009, 10:29 AM
Greer's pretty obviously about doing what he needs to for what he sees as the greater good. If Rush obstructs it, then perhaps he needs to go.

Yea, and killing Rush would basically kill everyone on-board since he is the only one with any understanding of Ancient technology (Eli may understand a bit of the language, but there is no way he learned anything about the control crystals and technology from playing that video game)

DepletedZPM
October 10th, 2009, 11:02 AM
Given the top secret, selective nature of the Stargate program, Greer seems to be a flawed choice for induction into its ranks. I wonder whether we've yet to see Greer's "secret super power" (to borrow Ben Browder's phrase) that would show a plausible reason for him to be part of the team, rather than simply being spice in the dramatic recipe.

Descended
October 10th, 2009, 11:08 AM
Given the top secret, selective nature of the Stargate program, Greer seems to be a flawed choice for induction into its ranks. I wonder whether we've yet to see Greer's "secret super power" (to borrow Ben Browder's phrase) that would show a plausible reason for him to be part of the team, rather than simply being spice in the dramatic recipe.

Agreed, maybe he is actually a member of Mensa with an uncanny ability to use command chairs :-)

Major Tyler
October 10th, 2009, 12:06 PM
Okay, so was I the only one who thought it was a little disappointing that the only black guy on the show happens to be represented negatively...Well, for one thing, Greer isn't the only "black guy" on he show. We have Becker (who was, unfortunately for the stereotype, a cook), and at least a couple civilians. That being said, the Stargate franchise hasn't been very good at having non-alien minority characters last for long. Ford was the first main character, but he got ignored for half of season one, booted out in season two, and then completely forgotten except for one scene in season five.

Franklyn Blaze
October 10th, 2009, 12:17 PM
Well, for one thing, Greer isn't the only "black guy" on he show. We have Becker (who was, unfortunately for the stereotype, a cook), and at least a couple civilians. That being said, the Stargate franchise hasn't been very good at having non-alien minority characters last for long. Ford was the first main character, but he got ignored for half of season one, booted out in season two, and then completely forgotten except for one scene in season five.

(a little OT)
Which brings me to a question, now that SGA is over is the F.O.R.D. thing done?

Major Tyler
October 10th, 2009, 12:56 PM
(a little OT)
Which brings me to a question, now that SGA is over is the F.O.R.D. thing done?F.O.R.D. still hopes for redemption for our beloved character in upcoming movies. ;)

We might have to become the Fellowship of Ronald (Greer) Defenders if Greer goes the way of Ford. :S

Mevi
October 10th, 2009, 12:59 PM
(a little OT)
Which brings me to a question, now that SGA is over is the F.O.R.D. thing done?

Ford was done a long time ago, thankfully. Man I hated that character.

TheHomegaMan
October 10th, 2009, 01:00 PM
Yea, and killing Rush would basically kill everyone on-board since he is the only one with any understanding of Ancient technology (Eli may understand a bit of the language, but there is no way he learned anything about the control crystals and technology from playing that video game)

There's a reason why I bolded the words "he [Greer] sees". Greer plainly holds Rush responsible for putting them in this mess. He trusted Eli's initial assessment that resetting the life support system could destroy it. It seems to me that he has a hell of a lot more faith in Eli than in Rush, along with the fact that Eli hasn't actively done anything to undermine their chances of getting home.

Instead of being the omniscient and all-judging viewer, imagine what it must look like from Greer's perspective.

DarkAsgard
October 10th, 2009, 01:56 PM

Luckily, Greer is not your typical military soldier, remember in the first episode he was in the stockades. If he was a soldier in real life he either be court marshaled for his behavior or thrown out of the air force.

Though I am not a fan of the character, I will say he is fiercely loyal to his commanding officer, so I at least see some redeeming qualities to the guy.

Icarus
October 10th, 2009, 01:56 PM
Awww, the obligatory black guy isn't the representative you want him to be? Hey, at least your race HAS representation, across all Stargate series - there hasn't been a single recurring Chinese guy in the series. All we get is a couple of IOA representatives who are better off being witches.

retiredat44
October 10th, 2009, 02:04 PM
I don't give a flying XXXXXXX what color he is,, as some of you have already started to use that excuse...

Greer has to go... he as bad and worse than any rotten creep that has ever been on my tv screen..

:(

Pepermint Jaffa
October 10th, 2009, 02:08 PM
Greer was not written as a black guy, okay? JM confirmed it today in his blog:

So your point in that he's a disappointing portrayal of a black guy is moot.

That said, I like him. Wild and unpredictable. I can't hate that.

Exactly. Greer is one of my favorite characters so far. From the previews and trailers, I wasn't sure about him, but he's been great.

Do we really want to get into this?

Rac80
October 10th, 2009, 02:26 PM
I like Greer a lot. This group needs a 'greer' - they are ill-disciplined and self-seeking (including Greer), but at least Greer has a sense of duty. He could have let Rush die - he didn't. He could have left Scott behind - he didn't. Sometimes you need a strong character who will cross the line when you have a bunch of people who are all crossing the same line. This will show us what the guy is made of, and I'm interested in seeing exactly what that is.

das

Not sure why, but I like this guy. As someone said, he could be this show's Teal'c, or Ronon. Total loose cannon, but loyal once you gain his trust. At this point he is one of the few I'm truly interested in seeing.

My absolute favorite moment for Greer in this episode was when Rush was disparaging Scott about whatever figure from his past he was seeking approval from, he decided to kick Rush rather than saying something. I loved it! :D

I think Greer is a great character. He's obviously got a few issues but if you look at what he's done so far he's maybe the best soldier on the ship. When Young let him out of his cell he didn't waste any time to get into the fight, and when they detonated the ruble in the Icarus base he covered Chloe and then didn't waste a second to take off running into the cloud of smoke debris to start getting people out.

In part 3 he was the one running back and forth to help save everybody on the away team, dragging Lt. Scott back, and he didn't hesitate to shoot Franklin in order to save his life. And even after all of that my favorite moment was when he gave the gun to Eli. You could tell he was getting aggravated but he still went back to pull the slide for him.

He's willing to do whatever he has to, but there're still signs that he cares.

yep yep I must agree with all of you. greer is my favorite character (How I cheered when he kicked rush!!! now if he would only shoot rush!) and the only whose backstory I care about.....;)

Cold Fuzz
October 10th, 2009, 04:21 PM
Exactly. Greer is one of my favorite characters so far. From the previews and trailers, I wasn't sure about him, but he's been great.

Do we really want to get into this?

yep yep I must agree with all of you. greer is my favorite character (How I cheered when he kicked rush!!! now if he would only shoot rush!) and the only whose backstory I care about.....;)

Greer has the subtlety of a brick through a glass window, which is what is character is supposed to be about anyway--at least for right now. He makes up for that with a sincere sense of duty and hardcore loyalty to his C.O., especially with how he didn't want to leave Scott alone out in the desert.

He also knows a snake when he sees one, hence his extreme antipathy to Rush. Think about it: You are now dependent on someone who was responsible for making your current situation a mess in the first place. How would you react? I would hate them too. I speak from personal experience on this, unfortunately. :mad:

He's one of the those guys who would happily turn an entire galaxy upside down and turn all of the inhabitants' pockets (if they have pockets) inside out to find a way home for the Destiny crew--and he's not going to apologize for it.

I'm sure with time and more experiences, Greer will gradually change into something even more but what we've got right is pretty interesting already.

As for the whole race issue, nothing good ever comes out of creating racial issues where none exist.

TheHomegaMan
October 10th, 2009, 04:36 PM
I don't give a flying XXXXXXX what color he is,, as some of you have already started to use that excuse...

Greer has to go... he as bad and worse than any rotten creep that has ever been on my tv screen..

Really? You must not watch TV much...

aretood2
October 10th, 2009, 04:43 PM
As an African American we still dont know alot about Greer so lets not talk about sterotypes for all we know Greer. The story so far is only about 3 or 4 main character. Give it time then only then will I BE ABLE TO DECIDE THAT IT IS A STEROTYPE BLACK CHARACTER!

I have to agree, its too early to say who greer is espicially claiming that he is a stereotypical black soldier. This would be the first time I have heard of this term. So could someone explain what exactly is a stereotypical black soldier?

Lightning Ducj
October 10th, 2009, 04:44 PM
So could someone explain what exactly is a stereotypical black soldier?

First to die if it's horror or sci-fi....

aretood2
October 10th, 2009, 04:48 PM

is that it? cause others have already died, and he is a main character...

Lightning Ducj
October 10th, 2009, 04:52 PM
is that it? cause others have already died, and he is a main character...

Just a joke..the stereotypical, or token, black character in the stereotypical sci-fi or horror movie often dies first

aretood2
October 10th, 2009, 04:55 PM
Then I question the Idea of there even being a stereotypical black soldier. It is just in the minds of some racially oversensitive paranoid people. Greer is just well...Greer. The Actor is the only one to blame for Greer being black, not the writers.

Nemises
October 10th, 2009, 04:57 PM
he thinks he's the dogs boll.ocks.

jcainhaze
October 10th, 2009, 05:05 PM

It has nothing to do with him being black...and who cares, he's a fictional character. So is it the pattern these days to jump on every opportunity "to complain" when a black character is depicted. Yes he's black...yes he has and attitude...and yes he is a complete bad*ass. Absolutely no reason to strain your brain trying to dream up some alternate dishonorable motives or rediculous stereotype.

Before the show started its run, I couldn't stand the idea of the Greer character. Everything I read seemed so lame and overdone....like the rambo'ish character from 80's movies.

Instead I have been completely suprised and very much like the character and the actor does a more than excellent job. I give Greer a 10 out of 10 for originality, depth, and believability. Don't know the actors name but AWSOME job on his part. GREAT character.

Cold Fuzz
October 10th, 2009, 05:21 PM
Yes he's black...yes he has and attitude...and yes he is a complete bad*ass.

"Right now I pray to the God above that dehydration will shut you the hell up! Walk...or die here! It's your choice, Mister...Decision-maker. <chuckles>"

He is a total bad*ass. God, I loved those lines. :jack_new_anime07:

Cold Fuzz
October 10th, 2009, 06:11 PM

Oh, I'm sure Greer will eventually find a way to accidentally shoot Rush. After all, you don't have to kill someone to cause them pain, especially with a gun. :sokaranime06:

Commander Zelix
October 10th, 2009, 08:45 PM
"Air, Pt. 3" was kind of a mixed bag for dear ol' Ron. I was deeply impressed with his dedication to saving Lt. Scott, and I'm loving how Greer treats Eli with respect, but I was horrified (and frankly disgusted) by how he assaults Rush while he's on the ground early in the episode. I'm not saying Rush wasn't being a snobby jackass, but Greer's violence was beyond unacceptable.

I also couldn't understand why Greer wouldn't give Rush some water. Rush selflessly (a rare thing for him) offered his water to Matt, and Greer should have recognized that. If Rush drank all of his own water, and then demanded Greer's bottle, he would have deserved to be smacked down. I'm beginning to think that Greer uses fear to manipulate people he doesn't like, and when one of those people isn't scared, he resorts to violence.

Good analysis on both counts. I almost felt sorry for Rush on that episode. I guess Greer didn't forgive Rush to have put them in this difficult situation in the first place. Well, its only a few hour after their arrival on the Destiny...

danny.d
October 11th, 2009, 12:28 AM
:daniel: Can I have some water?
:tealc: Ask again and I will be forced to use the zat'nik'tel upon you twice, Daniel Jackson.

:lol:

danny.d
October 11th, 2009, 12:31 AM
"Right now I pray to the God above that dehydration will shut you the hell up! Walk...or die here! It's your choice, Mister...Decision-maker. <chuckles>"

my fav quote of the epiosde next to
"i have a gun" :tealc39:

retiredat44
October 11th, 2009, 01:46 AM
Really? You must not watch TV much...

I have been sick/disabled for 20 years, and have spent much of it sick, in bed watching TV. I spent 6 months last year in a hospital bed, and a lot of it trying to watch tv... when I wasn't too sick..
I have a 46" LCD HDTV..

so, there's yer answer!

jcainhaze
October 11th, 2009, 03:28 AM
so, there's yer answer!

Now there's a case of insert foot into mouth. I love some of the things people say around here. So harsh and bold.

BTW, I hope you get better.

akren
October 11th, 2009, 03:31 AM

Actually Senator Armstrong (whom gave his life so his daughter & the crew could live) & the other solider & scientist whom went to the alternative planet from the desert planet & got stranded there were all of white/Anglo-Saxian background.

THe Senator is the 1st to die aboard the Destiny, the two Anglos were the 1st casualities offworld & if we count Icarus BAse, then the Chinese doctor was the first on-screen death we see confirmed in the entire series. I don't see how it's sterotyping @ all or how it's singling out black people. Far from it in act. :P

I just think Greer as a character has an atttiude problem & a seemingly lack of morales when it comes ot indulging in his violent/agressive streak (something I am sure we will see comein habndy/get him into trouble & see flashbacks on later in the series).

Air part 3 was the first time Greer, as a character, was likable to me (he seemed to eager to want to hurt others in AIr, parts 1 & 2, especially the smerk he had on his face when he threatened to shoot Rush when he was resetting the life support). I hope jhis character development & back story continue & jhe doesn't become too one dimensional or fall by the way side like Teyala in SGA. :(

luckylad
October 11th, 2009, 03:44 AM
At first i thought he was a really bad actor i've had the thought about a few of the new guys. But by this third episode he is growing on me already. Though its now the third episode and from the top of my head i still cant remember peoples names :( maybe its age

Colonel Swede
October 11th, 2009, 04:31 AM
Why does it say in the Omnipedia that Greer is a Army soldier?? It has been stated by the writers that he is a Marine, he wears the USMC uniform and he also have the USMC rank pin for Master Sergeant.

Just because rush said that "If you weren't in the Army you would be in jail" Thing dosen't mean he isen't a Marine. Maybe Rush just said the Army like refering to the Armed Forces of a whole. GREER IS A MARINE!!!! :ford:

Major Tyler
October 11th, 2009, 04:58 AM
Why does it say in the Omnipedia that Greer is a Army soldier?? It has been stated by the writers that he is a Marine, he wears the USMC uniform and he also have the USMC rank pin for Master Sergeant.

Just because rush said that "If you weren't in the Army you would be in jail" Thing dosen't mean he isen't a Marine. Maybe Rush just said the Army like refering to the Armed Forces of a whole. GREER IS A MARINE!!!! :ford:It's probably just a typo. I sent a PM to David, GateWorld co-editor, to let him know about the discrepancy.

The Mighty 6 platoon
October 11th, 2009, 05:43 AM
Some people need to remember what Greer is, a senior Marine Sergeant. He is a trained experienced killing machine. Our job in the military isn’t nice, its simple get close enough to kill the enemy as quickly and efficiently as possible. Greer is a marine one of the most aggressive forces on the planet; he is not going to be polite and pleasant. Further its realistic for him to be angry and aggressive, there are huge problems throughout the military with experienced soldiers who have major aggression problems.

Lahela
October 11th, 2009, 06:29 AM

He's a very interesting character, without a doubt! :cool:

I thought he was being over the top with Rush, to the point of jeopardising the survival of everyone on the Destiny - they need Rush alive.

Achaja
October 11th, 2009, 07:00 AM
After third episode, this relation between Greer and Rush- I thought Greer is kinda freak! I didn't enjoy his behaviour:(

But know when I read some opinions I think there were always very polite relationships in Stargate series, ok with some Ronon's behaviour I could cuncure, but - this is more real to show characters being rude or something because these are PEOPLE, and there are many different temperaments. So now I think with Greer behave that way the producers are showing more realistic situations.;)

Ed
October 11th, 2009, 07:07 AM
After third episode, this relation between Greer and Rush- I thought Greer is kinda freak! I didn't enjoy his behaviour:(

But know when I read some opinions I think there were always very polite relationships in Stargate series, ok with some Ronon's behaviour I could cuncure, but - this is more real to show characters being rude or something because these are PEOPLE, and there are many different temperaments. So now I think with Greer behave that way the producers are showing more realistic situations.;)

Greer has great potential he is a nasty person but he's saved everyone already in the case of scott and franklin hes saved them twice

Its itresting how he seems to like Eli and trust him over rush note he never gave rush a gun.

Major Tyler
October 11th, 2009, 07:15 AM
Its itresting how he seems to like Eli and trust him over rush note he never gave rush a gun.Yeah, I'm not sure why Greer seems to trust Eli more than any other civilian. It could be the start of a beautiful friendship. :P

Nemises
October 11th, 2009, 07:29 AM
Its itresting how he seems to like Eli and trust him over rush note he never gave rush a gun.

He hates successful rich people like rush.

CraigMacD.
October 11th, 2009, 07:30 AM
Greer is my favorite character so far. He's willing to make the tough choices but he still cares about the people on the ship and is loyal to the people he likes (Young, Scott, etc.). Will be interesting to see him develop as the season(s) progresses.

Rac80
October 11th, 2009, 07:52 AM
yaaaay for greer...the only character I like!!! (eli was ok but is getting annoying!:P:P) I cheered when he kicked rush. We need more hard-ass soldiers like him on destiny to keep rush from getting everyone else killed! ;)

Major Tyler
October 11th, 2009, 09:01 AM
yaaaay for greer...the only character I like!!! (eli was ok but is getting annoying!:P:P) I cheered when he kicked rush. We need more hard-ass soldiers like him on destiny to keep rush from getting everyone else killed! ;)So you think sex makes the show morally repugnant, but unnecessary violence by military personnel against an unarmed civilian is worth cheering about? Wow...:rolleyes:

TheHomegaMan
October 11th, 2009, 10:33 AM
I have been sick/disabled for 20 years, and have spent much of it sick, in bed watching TV. I spent 6 months last year in a hospital bed, and a lot of it trying to watch tv... when I wasn't too sick..
I have a 46" LCD HDTV..

so, there's yer answer!

Ah, my mistake. When you said that Greer was worse than the rapists, murderers, child molesters, god impersonating slavers, genocidal agents, religious zealots, dictators, and racists, I had thought it was just due to a lack of perspective.

Whoops?

Jeff-B
October 11th, 2009, 12:31 PM
I like the character so far, just waiting for the inevitable conflict with the IOA lady. Maybe as that develops there will be more of an explanation of why he was in the brig back at Icarus. His style is pretty hardcore, but he's the extreme representation of the Stargate theme "We don't leave people behind".

O'Neil
October 11th, 2009, 03:37 PM
Greer has anger problems, and has no business being in a uniform... with a weapon. He's the kind of soldier that will go on a killing spree because someone looks at him the wrong way.

Hopefully, he'll get knocked on his butt soon.

JohnDuh
October 11th, 2009, 04:43 PM
I assume that since Greer was assigned to Icarus that he is, in general, a good person and a good soldier. and that something happened at Icarus that got him confined

What could possible give you that impression? He comes across as unintelligent criminal.

I'm with the side who hopes that Rush or someone kills him really quickly.

jcainhaze
October 11th, 2009, 05:34 PM
I just think Greer as a character has an atttiude problem & a seemingly lack of morales when it comes ot indulging in his violent/agressive streak (something I am sure we will see comein habndy/get him into trouble & see flashbacks on later in the series).

I like most of what you said and it sounded spot on to me, except for the above quote. I really like his attitude problem but definitely do NOT see him having a lack of morales....actually the complete opposite.....I think his attitude is typical in the USMC and is a response to the fact that most people in the world have no morales. It's his perception of the surrounding world as being dishonest, self serving, lying, manipulative, greedy, etc. I think Greer hates these things and has developed a massavie amount of F'it attitude. He doesn't like Rush because in fact Rush is imorale and Rush is in fact the reason all these people are stuck and in trouble. That's the bottom line and Greer knows it. Greer has penetrated who Rush is and know he's a snake. Yes Rush has good qualities but Greer sees the ultimate outcome of Rush as a person which = snake. Greer is a very interesting and deep character something I am suprised the writters/actors were able to recognize and pull off so well. 10 out of 10 for Greer! Excellent character.

Some people need to remember what Greer is, a senior Marine Sergeant. He is a trained experienced killing machine. Our job in the military isn’t nice, its simple get close enough to kill the enemy as quickly and efficiently as possible. Greer is a marine one of the most aggressive forces on the planet; he is not going to be polite and pleasant. Further its realistic for him to be angry and aggressive, there are huge problems throughout the military with experienced soldiers who have major aggression problems.

This is very true. Some of the best Marines every to live are the biggest problem for the politics of chain of command and questionble decision making. If you are the good guy then Greer is the exact guy you want at your side. He's trained, experienced, angry, and hates BS. Remember he seems irrational to some people who's philosophy doesn't rely on violence to solve problems. Greer has forged in violence....it's how he solves everything. And given the situation I'd say it's in perfect order. He will ultimately keep Rush in check and may wind up killin a few folks.

Descended
October 11th, 2009, 05:47 PM
Greer is a very interesting and deep character something I am suprised the writters/actors were able to recognize and pull off so well. 10 out of 10 for Greer! Excellent character.

Very deep? What show were you watching... you are reading a lot into his character and making assumptions. The only things we have really seen about him yet is that he did something to get thrown in the brig, he has threatened to murder unarmed people on several occasions, and he is borderline insubordinate. His only redeemable quality is that he seems loyal to his fellow soldiers (i.e. never leave anyone behind) but that should be par for the course for a Marine Master Sgt.

Lightning Ducj
October 11th, 2009, 05:53 PM
Don't forget that when Rush told him to shoot, he shot. This was right after he'd been arguing with Rush about the water. He may not like or trust Rush, he thinks he has a handle on Rush and Rush hasn't a clue about him, etc...but at *that* moment he chose to trust Rush

I think he's more nuanced and less one dimensional then would seem at first glance.

aretood2
October 11th, 2009, 05:57 PM
Don't forget that when Rush told him to shoot, he shot. This was right after he'd been arguing with Rush about the water. He may not like or trust Rush, he thinks he has a handle on Rush and Rush hasn't a clue about him, etc...but at *that* moment he chose to trust Rush

I think he's more nuanced and less one dimensional then would seem at first glance.

I think that Greer is Ford 2.0 If they "Ford" him, he is taken some of them down with him. He won't go with out a fight.

This is why I like him. There is also something to him, lets not forget the Sheppard is insubordinate and O'Neill only chooses what orders to fallow.
He has an attitude and he seems to have a thing for Eli, in a none sexual way, he respects those he deems respectable. This I know from him by judging his actions.

jcainhaze
October 11th, 2009, 06:01 PM

Exactly. He doesn't trust Rush. But he's not stupid. He had a feeling that guy was about to walk off the planet with their only way back. So Rush simply confirmed this by saying "shoot him". Guys lucky Greer didn't shoot him in the head. Alot of people in real life would have. It's no small thing to just willie-nillie abandone everyone to their fate....just walk off with the only device to dial the gate back.

Pharaoh Atem
October 11th, 2009, 06:09 PM
what in the hell was that ?? :D

Phenom
October 11th, 2009, 06:39 PM
I don't like Greer....but in a good way.

My dislike of him isn't because I don't like the actor, character or whatever. I don't like him because he is a different character who brings out those sort of emotions....in a Kinsey sort of way.

wargrafix
October 11th, 2009, 06:40 PM
ack! he was irritating as a character. I hope by the 5th episode, someone "accidentally" opens an airlock with him in it. Normal shows jump the shark, in SG universe they "jump the airlock"

Encoder
October 11th, 2009, 06:43 PM

No way...I think he's the Ford of the show...

Something deep down tells me he's gonna disappear after the first season just like Ford did.

:sheppard:

Lightning Ducj
October 11th, 2009, 06:48 PM

Something deep down tells me he's gonna disappear after the first season just like Ford did.

I hope he's the D'Argo of the show.

Worf sorta set the standard as the 'serious warrior from a race of warriors'. D'Argo had, to me, a lot more depth and nuance then that in being a real personality who happened to be a warrior from a race of warriors. Ronan and, sadly Teal'c never really seemed to get the chance to break that. Tea'lc had much more depth but never seemed to get to the point of really, relaxing and laughing.

Encoder
October 11th, 2009, 06:50 PM
He could have let Rush die - he didn't. He could have left Scott behind - he didn't.

For me, Greer started off as a pain in the butt, tho this episode clearly set him as a soldier of honour for me so Greer just got a +10 on reputation for me :)

jcainhaze
October 11th, 2009, 06:50 PM

No way....Ford was a wanna be, IMO. Greer is hardcore.

Teal'c wouldn't have kicked Rush in the back. Teal'c isn't a jerk.

Ronan IS a jerk and would have kicked Rush in the back.

So I'd say Greer is most like Ronan in personality.

BTW, does any think the doctor woman is smokin' hot?!

Lightning Ducj
October 11th, 2009, 06:53 PM

Sadly ( I suppose : ) all the woman seem to be..hot but not developed as characters

Encoder
October 11th, 2009, 06:57 PM
Tea'lc had much more depth but never seemed to get to the point of really, relaxing and laughing.

Aside from a few key moments like in SG1: S05E18 where he's in the tent with Rak'nor having a drink, I think Teal'c stayed in warrior mode all the time.

But, this isn't about Teal'c, probably his own set of threads altogether huh hehehe

Encoder
October 11th, 2009, 07:00 PM
No way....Ford was a wanna be, IMO. Greer is hardcore.

I certainly think Ford tried too hard, but not to the point of a wannabe.

Greer, to me, loves his job as a soldier. Greer, if he were a little more controllable, would be one of the better soldiers you could ask for.

Teal'c wouldn't have kicked Rush in the back. Teal'c isn't a jerk.

Ronan IS a jerk and would have kicked Rush in the back.

So I'd say Greer is most like Ronan in personality.

Yeah I'm gonna have to agree with you on that one.

Greer looks like he's the one who'd do something because it's the right thing to do, but would fall back in line a little quicker than Ronan would.

Ehh... :)

jcainhaze
October 11th, 2009, 07:03 PM
Sadly ( I suppose : ) all the woman seem to be..hot but not developed as characters

Well not to get too much off the "Greer" topic, BUT you're sadly correct. It's actually very similar to real life. 99% of hot women do not have developed character. They rely soley on the hollow shell they reside in...caring nothing about character. But none the less she is smokin hot!

Encoder
October 11th, 2009, 07:04 PM
I don't recall learning why Greer was locked up in Air pt1

I believe Young opens the door and walks up to Greer saying, "We're under attack, don't know who, don't know why", Young gives him the gun and gear and says, "Take your anger out on them".

The look on Greer's face is that of, "Sir, I'm sorry I've let you down". Then he hears what Young says, take the gear and get's to it as tho he has something he want's to prove to Young.

IMO, Greer is an awesome addition to the team!

Encoder
October 11th, 2009, 07:12 PM

I think the kick to the back was a little un-called for IMO. The scene where Greer had Rush on the ground with the gun to his face, now THAT's the kind of thing that I'd have expected to see from Greer.

Don't screw around with me Rush or else I'm just gonna leave you here versus Rush teasing Scott and Greer about seeking approval.

But hey, just like the sex scene with Scott and James, this just shows a side of Greer that TPTB wanted us to see, and so be it :)

Lightning Ducj
October 11th, 2009, 07:15 PM
I think the kick to the back was a little un-called for IMO. The scene where Greer had Rush on the ground with the gun to his face, now THAT's the kind of thing that I'd have expected to see from Greer.

I thought Rush was *way* out of line in the way he treated Scott. I didn't think Greer's reaction was appropriate but...I admit I smiled when he did it

jcainhaze
October 11th, 2009, 07:16 PM
Yeah, I'm really curious to find out what he did to be locked up. I have a feeling he probably told a superior to F'off or something. He doesn't seem to like Rush for several reasons. Rush dialed the ship instead of a way home, Rush claimed to be placed in charge by the SGC (lie), Greer doesn't know yet but did you see the end of ep. 3 when they asked what happened to the guy and Rush immediately said "Greer shot him". So it's established that Greer has several reasons to dislike Rush but I'm thinking maybe prior to dialing destiny/base attack that Greer and Rush had problems. Greer seemed pretty quick to point that gun at Rush. Maybe he was in the brig for pimp slapping Rush. That would be great, but who knows.

Encoder
October 11th, 2009, 07:20 PM
He's threatening to shoot people, thought about hitting a woman who was saying something he didn't like, he IS shooting people as of tonights episode

Greer shot Franklin because of three reasons:

1. He knew that Franklin had the dialer and so, if he left, they'd be stranded (ok, yes, until Destiny dialed back and send another thru, but hey)

2. Rush told him to

3. He enjoyed it!

But for all his other threats, I believe Greer probably wouldn't have shot Rush in E01 when he was standing at the console and most probably wouldn't have hit Camile, rather would have got right up in her face, made his point through intimidation and just left it.

Having been in a potentially life threatening situation, (twice actually though nothing like they are going through) you get to see what people's real character is.

Wow...certainly something new to the majority of us that's for sure!

Lightning Ducj
October 11th, 2009, 07:20 PM
I was sorta intrigued that Rush threw Greer under the bus for that shooting

Encoder
October 11th, 2009, 07:21 PM
I thought Rush was *way* out of line in the way he treated Scott. I didn't think Greer's reaction was appropriate but...I admit I smiled when he did it

And I laughed when Rush got up and said, "How dare you", then Scott interrupted and Greer just ignored Rush and went over to Scott...

That was funny hehehe

Lightning Ducj
October 11th, 2009, 07:22 PM
And I laughed when Rush got up and said, "How dare you", then Scott interrupted and Greer just ignored Rush and went over to Scott...

That was funny hehehe

Agreed, Rush's indignation, and Greer's indifference, was, at least to me,very funny

Encoder
October 11th, 2009, 07:24 PM
I'm thinking maybe prior to dialing destiny/base attack that Greer and Rush had problems. Greer seemed pretty quick to point that gun at Rush. Maybe he was in the brig for pimp slapping Rush. That would be great, but who knows.

When they were walking back to the gate (Rush and Greer), Rush states, "I've read your file".

That whole scene to me was like, Rush didn't quite know him, just knew of him from Icarus.

I don't know, but for me, I don't think Rush and Greer have had much to do with each other so far. But I certainly could be wrong!

Encoder
October 11th, 2009, 07:28 PM
And even after all of that my favorite moment was when he gave the gun to Eli.

"I have a gun" - Eli

ABSOLUTELY p***ed myself when he said that! lol

Lightning Ducj
October 11th, 2009, 07:33 PM
Love him or hate him...lotta traffic for once character already

Descended
October 11th, 2009, 07:33 PM
"I have a gun" - Eli

ABSOLUTELY p***ed myself when he said that! lol

Kinda difficult to imagine that a hard-core gamer wouldn't know how to use it though. FPS's are pretty accurate in there weapons modeling and usage. Play Counterstrike enough and you are practically proficient in all small arms.

Lightning Ducj
October 11th, 2009, 07:36 PM
Kinda difficult to imagine that a hard-core gamer wouldn't know how to use it though. FPS's are pretty accurate in there weapons modeling and usage. Play Counterstrike enough and you are practically proficient in all small arms.

Point and shoot is easy..loading and chambering is a new story. I last shot for M-16 qualifying (Air Force) about 15 years ago and I play FPSers but if I picked up a handgun today, I would not know how to be sure a round was chambered, etc..

Encoder
October 11th, 2009, 07:59 PM

I loved how he delivered the "Mr. Decision maker" line...awesome!

Encoder
October 11th, 2009, 08:01 PM

I tend to agree. Eli would have played a few FPS'es! Plus I also agree that they definitely give you a good sense of usage, firing rates, reload times, accuracy, etc.

Cold Fuzz
October 11th, 2009, 08:06 PM
I loved how he delivered the "Mr. Decision maker" line...awesome!

I'm hoping that Greer delivers at least one of those kinds of lines per show, the same way Riley needs to quip something sarcastic at least once per show. :D

Encoder
October 11th, 2009, 08:15 PM
I'm hoping that Greer delivers at least one of those kinds of lines per show, the same way Riley needs to quip something sarcastic at least once per show. :D

Eh! Don't get me started about Riley...looks like the brother from Fraiser! :P

Greer certainly can hold his own, which is why I like him. Obedience is his only real flaw I see.

Keep Greer alive!!!!!!! He's worth it!

Cold Fuzz
October 11th, 2009, 08:21 PM
Eh! Don't get me started about Riley...looks like the brother from Fraiser! :P

Greer certainly can hold his own, which is why I like him. Obedience is his only real flaw I see.

Keep Greer alive!!!!!!! He's worth it!

Definitely. Though I liked Teal'c and Ronon, they were too quiet and too focused. Greer's explosiveness is unpredictable, like a solar flare. You know it's coming but you're not sure how intense it's going to be or what shape and direction.

As for Riley, come on. He's got the cool deadpan sarcasm thing down pat. He and Volker are going to create some interesting laughs as the season goes along. Greer will generate cheers and laughs for me too. Kicking Rush was more satisfying than when Chloe went all hysterics and started pummeling Rush. :D

jcainhaze
October 11th, 2009, 09:22 PM
Greer will generate cheers and laughs for me too. Kicking Rush was more satisfying than when Chloe went all hysterics and started pummeling Rush. :D

Me too. Rush crying about water then getting kicked in the back cracked me up. That might be my favorite scene from the show thus far. I think the Rush/Greer dynamic will be a great part of the show. I'm hoping some of the other character relationships will develope into equally interesting "stuff". Couldn't think of a better word. It already looks like Eli is going to tie nicely into the Rush/Greer "stuff", but I hope he connects with others. Right out of the box I can't think of any other character interaction that really jumps out and grabs my attention and makes me forget I'm watching a show that isn't real. Not really feeling the Scott/Chloe thing at all.

Whirlwind421
October 11th, 2009, 11:27 PM
Greer is awesome!! I really like his character. I hope he doesn't fall into the background.

Lahela
October 12th, 2009, 12:12 AM
Jamil gives his take on the character in the fourth video down on this site (http://www.collider.com/2009/10/11/collider-visits-the-set-of-stargate-universe-plus-watch-an-on-set-interview-with-the-cast-and-executive-producer-brad-wright/) - very interesting stuff :)

Ventio
October 12th, 2009, 12:24 AM
I really like Greer, he is probably my favourite character so far. He is the type of person that they will need in their given situation, he seems very dependable in a lot of senses. The scene between Greer and Rush was not bad at all i though, it reminded us that unlike SG-1 and SGA these guys are not going to be all lovey dovey for the most part. Rush' survival instinct kicked in and we saw an animalistic side to him. They are all just trying to survive.

Encoder
October 12th, 2009, 12:31 AM
Definitely. Though I liked Teal'c and Ronon, they were too quiet and too focused. Greer's explosiveness is unpredictable, like a solar flare. You know it's coming but you're not sure how intense it's going to be or what shape and direction.

Yeah I do like the fact that anything can set him off! The face off with Camile was unexpected too.

As for Riley, come on. He's got the cool deadpan sarcasm thing down pat. He and Volker are going to create some interesting laughs as the season goes along. Greer will generate cheers and laughs for me too. Kicking Rush was more satisfying than when Chloe went all hysterics and started pummeling Rush. :D

Ok you're right, Riley does have something...I like the straight face he has during the delivery of that sarcasm.

Cold Fuzz
October 12th, 2009, 12:39 AM
Yeah I do like the fact that anything can set him off! The face off with Camile was unexpected too.

I'm pretty sure that Greer's status is going to be a point of contention. He hasn't exactly endeared himself to either Camille Wray or Rush. If they end up having a triumvirate ruling system with the Destiny consisting of Young, Rush, and Wray, the Colonel may find himself outvoted and Greer detained. If they do try something like that, I'm sure Greer will not go quietly. :D

Major Tyler
October 12th, 2009, 12:48 AM
I'm pretty sure that Greer's status is going to be a point of contention. He hasn't exactly endeared himself to either Camille Wray or Rush. If they end up having a triumvirate ruling system with the Destiny consisting of Young, Rush, and Wray, the Colonel may find himself outvoted and Greer detained. If they do try something like that, I'm sure Greer will not go quietly. :DIf something like this happened, I think it would be interesting for Eli to actually be the one to help Greer get out of it. The Greer/Eli relationship is developing in a surprisingly positive way, and I'd like to see some kind of mutual loyalty come from that.

Encoder
October 12th, 2009, 12:49 AM
If something like this happened, I think it would be interesting for Eli to actually be the one to help Greer get out of it. The Greer/Eli relationship is developing in a surprisingly positive way, and I'd like to see some kind of mutual loyalty come from that.

So far it's been a, I trust you (Eli) more than I trust him (Rush) relationship. Other than that I haven't seen much interaction between them at all.

What have I missed?

Cold Fuzz
October 12th, 2009, 12:53 AM
So far it's been a, I trust you (Eli) more than I trust him (Rush) relationship. Other than that I haven't seen much interaction between them at all.

What have I missed?

Well, Greer was willing to hand a loaded gun to Eli, who's essentially just a kid. That's a pretty big display of trust. Greer probably did that to irritate Rush as well, and that's a plus for me. :D

Major Tyler
October 12th, 2009, 01:07 AM

What have I missed?Well, it's more subtle than what Greer has said to him, it more what he hasn't said. Greer seems to have a deep dislike for most of the civilians, but in his interactions with Eli he's never been the slightest bit unfriendly. I would usually expect Greer to say something sarcastic to Eli, but it's Matt who does the yelling. These two are completely opposite in every way I can think of, and yet they seem to get along really well.

In "Air, Pt. 1," Greer clearly trusts Eli's judgment about the life-support reset button and backs him up. In "Air, Pt. 2," Greer is easily taking direction from Eli over the radio, and even looking directly into the kino when talking to Eli. In "Air, Pt. 3," Greer trusts Eli to wait for him at the gate and gives him a friendly slap to the chest. Greer even has the patience to come back and show Eli how to use the gun without even one sarcastic comment.

Well, Greer was willing to hand a loaded gun to Eli, who's essentially just a kid.Greer is 27 and Eli is 29 (at least the actors are).

Cold Fuzz
October 12th, 2009, 01:19 AM
Well, it's more subtle than what Greer has said to him, it more what he hasn't said. Greer seems to have a deep dislike for most of the civilians, but in his interactions with Eli he's never been the slightest bit unfriendly. I would usually expect Greer to say something sarcastic to Eli, but it's Matt who does the yelling. These two are completely opposite in every way I can think of, and yet they seem to get along really well.

In "Air, Pt. 1," Greer clearly trusts Eli's judgment about the life-support reset button and backs him up. In "Air, Pt. 2," Greer is easily taking direction from Eli over the radio, and even looking directly into the kino when talking to Eli. In "Air, Pt. 3," Greer trusts Eli to wait for him at the gate and gives him a friendly slap to the chest. Greer even has the patience to come back and show Eli how to use the gun without even one sarcastic comment.
Greer is 27 and Eli is 29 (at least the actors are).

I think part of this may be that Eli was willing to volunteer to be on the away mission. It's true that he did slow them down but the fact he was willing to put himself on the line when he didn't have to may have earned him a few respect points from Greer. It's true this is just speculation but it is a possibility.

If they do develop a friendship, and from what we've seen there's certainly the possibility for one, it would definitely be a unique and unexpected one--kind of similar to the interesting friendship that Daniel & Teal'c had.

Encoder
October 12th, 2009, 01:22 AM
Well, Greer was willing to hand a loaded gun to Eli

Yep, I did miss the importance of that!

Greer probably did that to irritate Rush as well, and that's a plus for me. :D

Man, Rush really is p***ing you off huh hehehehe :)

Well, it's more subtle than what Greer has said to him, it more what he hasn't said. Greer seems to have a deep dislike for most of the civilians, but in his interactions with Eli he's never been the slightest bit unfriendly. I would usually expect Greer to say something sarcastic to Eli, but it's Matt who does the yelling. These two are completely opposite in every way I can think of, and yet they seem to get along really well.

Greer is 27 and Eli is 29 (at least the actors are).

Great points...again, I've totally overlooked the importance of these points! Thanks for the heads up!

Cold Fuzz
October 12th, 2009, 01:43 AM
Man, Rush really is p***ing you off huh hehehehe :)

Here's my thing on Rush. I wouldn't say he's pissing me off per se. In fact, I actually like his character because I'm supposed to dislike him. Though he is, in my opinion, untrustworthy and unscrupulous, Robert Carlyle gives him a nuanced performance, which is a big plus in my book. This is similar to how I feel about Rodney McKay on Atlantis. David Hewlett delivered some pretty outstanding acting for what he was given. However, the character of McKay was a whining, cowardly, self-absorbed little brat who was not nuanced, subtle, or as complex as someone like Rush. For this, McKay has my undying loathing because he could have been so much more. Rush, on the other hand, is already fulfilling his potential. He can be a dangerous and cunning adversary if he puts his mind to it. This is something McKay is simply not capable of. In that sense, Rush can be respected as a powerful enemy. Physically though, he's literally a pushover. :D

And then there's Greer, who is Rush's bane. Greer knows exactly what Rush is about and he's got his number. He's not going to relent on his resentment of Rush for stranding them on the Destiny. Greer's sense of justice is very defined and he'll come down on Rush like a bag of hammers every chance he gets to let Rush know how angry he is for consigning everyone to wandering out in the far universe.

And he's a badass to boot. :cameronanime10:

Radahldo
October 12th, 2009, 02:07 AM
One thing I noticed is Greer does not snatch the gun away-- Eli actually hands it to him. It's kinda small in sentiment, but from my experience, it can be debasing to have someone enact the basic mechanisms of a gun for you. But Greer's Body language wasnt the least bit off-putting. He's really patient with and seems very aware of Eli's feelings.

JoshuaJSlone
October 12th, 2009, 04:05 AM
Heh. What you interpreted as him trusting Rush, I interpreted as him requiring less convincing to shoot someone than to share water.

I think the Rush/Greer dynamic will be a great part of the show.
Yeah. I don't much like Greer at this point, but Rush and Greer definitely seem like foils that will be interesting to see playing off each other.

unknownterra
October 12th, 2009, 04:30 AM

Admit it, deep down we ALL want to kick Rush.

Major Tyler
October 12th, 2009, 04:35 AM
One thing I noticed is Greer does not snatch the gun away-- Eli actually hands it to him. It's kinda small in sentiment, but from my experience, it can be debasing to have someone enact the basic mechanisms of a gun for you. But Greer's Body language wasnt the least bit off-putting. He's really patient with and seems very aware of Eli's feelings.Precisely! This is exactly why I think Greer is a much more positive influence than people are giving him credit for. He doesn't tolerate any bullsh*t, and he overreacts sometimes, but he has an inclination and a desire to be a good person to other good people. He recognizes Eli as a person he can trust, despite the fact that they are so different.

Ninjadoom
October 12th, 2009, 07:12 AM
So am I the only one that is glad that there is a character like Greer on the Destiny. Someone who won't put up with people (Rush) giving up, acting like total wusses, etc. I know he probably seems like a total jerk but I think his attitude will have some real benefits to the crew.

abstractrobbie
October 12th, 2009, 08:21 AM
Completely agree, I get the feeling he is supposed to be a similar character to Ronan, difficult at the start, but will soften up in some ways as time goes on I guess.

Archaeis
October 12th, 2009, 09:24 AM
I really enjoyed the commitment he had to go back and rescue Scott. There seems to be a lot of trust between the two of them.

prion
October 12th, 2009, 09:39 AM
So am I the only one that is glad that there is a character like Greer on the Destiny. Someone who won't put up with people (Rush) giving up, acting like total wusses, etc. I know he probably seems like a total jerk but I think his attitude will have some real benefits to the crew.

Well.... I'm not sure what his problem is, besides the obvious chip on his shoulder when he was berating Rush. While he may not give up on people, he also is a loose cannon - with a gun - so, I don't quite trust the guy. If I were a civilian and got the boot-end of his foot in my back, I'd report him to his superior. Makes me wonder if he was locked up for punching someone!

Major Tyler
October 12th, 2009, 09:51 AM
So am I the only one that is glad that there is a character like Greer on the Destiny. Someone who won't put up with people (Rush) giving up, acting like total wusses, etc. I know he probably seems like a total jerk but I think his attitude will have some real benefits to the crew.Greer (with Eli as a close second) is the hands-down most interesting character so far because he breaks the old SG convention that everybody is "nice" to everyone else. Honestly, sometimes people need someone to tell it like it is, even on Stargate.

Cold Fuzz
October 12th, 2009, 01:37 PM

You're definitely not the only one. You've got a cadre of Greer fans in this thread alone. :D

Admit it, deep down we ALL want to kick Rush.

Oh, you know it. ;)

Greer (with Eli as a close second) is the hands-down most interesting character so far because he breaks the old SG convention that everybody is "nice" to everyone else. Honestly, sometimes people need someone to tell it like it is, even on Stargate.

There have been people in Stargate who've been terrible before. McKay on Atlantis was a total ass to everyone he ever encountered and I couldn't stand his character. Though David Hewlett did a good job with the acting, the character of McKay was selfish, whiney, cowardly, overused as a plot device, and given way too much screen time at the expense of the other characters.

Greer isn't exactly the nicest person either. He uses intimidation and physical violence. He's got the temper and is very willing to shoot someone. But he has redeeming qualities that McKay could never hope to approach. We already know that he's physically strong, very dedicated to obeying and backing up his CO and the chain of command. He's fiercely loyal to those he likes, does NOT whine or complain, and is intolerant of those who do. Though others do not see it at such, Greer has is own code of duty, discipline, and justice. If he didn't, he wouldn't be treating Eli with some respect while utterly disparaging Rush.

Though I will always think highly of Teal'c and Ronon, I think Greer trumps them just a little bit.

And he's a total badass. :cameronanime10:

We can't say that enough times on this thread.

Major Tyler
October 13th, 2009, 11:18 AM
I think part of this may be that Eli was willing to volunteer to be on the away mission. It's true that he did slow them down but the fact he was willing to put himself on the line when he didn't have to may have earned him a few respect points from Greer.I'm sure Eli staying and "holding the door open" for Greer and Scott, despite the risk of losing his arm, also impressed Greer. Greer asked Eli to wait for him, and Eli kept his promise. I imagine that, especially for a Marine, not leaving them behind was a meaningful act.

If they do develop a friendship, and from what we've seen there's certainly the possibility for one, it would definitely be a unique and unexpected one--kind of similar to the interesting friendship that Daniel & Teal'c had.I'm glad TPTB are moving away from the "military guys hate the smart/nerdy guys" stereotype they had in previous shows. It's nice to see that Eli and Greer respect each other from the start, and I hope this continues.

I'm also very glad that Greer isn't "mean for the sake of mean." He's really only mean to people who are confronting him or being jackasses. He also forgives (small things) quickly. After he kicked Rush, the issue was done for Greer (even if it wasn't done for Rush). When Rush first asked for water, all Greer said was a very neutral "we're almost there." He wasn't being sarcastic or mean until Rush started with his crap.

Cold Fuzz
October 13th, 2009, 04:29 PM
I'm glad TPTB are moving away from the "military guys hate the smart/nerdy guys" stereotype they had in previous shows. It's nice to see that Eli and Greer respect each other from the start, and I hope this continues.

Same here. I remember that Teal'c never put Daniel down for not being the warrior type when they first met. In fact, I believe that Teal'c eventually recognized Daniel as a fellow warrior, especially when he was dying and about to ascend.

I think we'll see more of this dynamic on SGU. SG-1 always had the SGC as a fairly secure base of operations as their home. Atlantis, though it came under attack a number of times, was a relatively safe place as well. With the Destiny, the ship is in such poor condition that civvies and soldiers will be constantly relying on each other and putting each other's lives in each other's hands much more constantly than in Atlantis or the SGC.

Radahldo
October 13th, 2009, 07:07 PM
I think Greer's gesture of equipping Eli with a loaded gun communicated more trust, and seems the stronger sentiment when compared to Scott's order to accompany the secondary team. Having a loaded gun in a situation where everyone is frustrated is a lot of authority.

If Rush were to do anything unscrupulous Eli would have a definite ways of stopping him; while the two scientists and soldier Scott had Eli accompanying did not have any reason to defer to his judgement, and ultimately ignored his appeals, his only option in that situation.

Major Tyler
October 15th, 2009, 06:21 AM
I think Greer's gesture of equipping Eli with a loaded gun communicated more trust, and seems the stronger sentiment when compared to Scott's order to accompany the secondary team. Having a loaded gun in a situation where everyone is frustrated is a lot of authority.I agree completely. Besides, I think Scott's comment about "leading" the second team was just a way to placate Eli into going with them. He didn't "lead" anything, especially since the others ran off to another planet.

That's brings me to another point. The fact that Greer trusted Eli to keep the remote and stay and wait for him is also significant. If you consider that all the other civilians (and even one Marine) tried to take the remote and leave the rest of them behind, Greer had to really trust that Eli wouldn't do the same thing. For someone who clearly distrusts civilians (and often with good reason), this is a huge gesture.

Radahldo
October 15th, 2009, 04:23 PM
I think Eli must've proved something Greer in the multiple times he challenged Rush (however misguided and merely contentious-minded those incidents were). Like you said, It wouldn't be incorrect to feel Eli's will would break, or that Rush would somehow persuade him to leave, but Greer doesn't seem to entertain that thought.
I noticed Greer was watching Eli and Rush when Rush first resolved to dial something other than Earth.
He's even standing on a higher plane than all others surrounding. I think Narratively that distinction is intended to communicate his opinions beginning to form on the two.

There's also that Eli doesn't seem freightened by Greer pointing a gun at Rush; the other scientists behind Eli scatter when that happens. For whatever reason he didn't have a "killing rush will kill us all vicariously" reaction. And Greer apparently still trusts Eli after that seemingly regardless of how the outburst disparaged him (greer) in the eyes of other crew members.

Major Tyler
October 15th, 2009, 10:21 PM
There's also that Eli doesn't seem freightened by Greer pointing a gun at Rush; the other scientists behind Eli scatter when that happens. For whatever reason he didn't have a "killing rush will kill us all vicariously" reaction. And Greer apparently still trusts Eli after that seemingly regardless of how the outburst disparaged him (greer) in the eyes of other crew members.Very true. Also, when Greer shot Franklin before going through the gate to the "other" planet, Eli dived out of the way, of course, but once it was done, he didn't seem to be afraid that he would suffer the same fate.

He was confused and a little shocked, but he wasn't scared that Greer was trying to kill him or Franklin. He fell to the ground to stay out of the line of sight and to avoid ricochet, but he didn't say anything like "please don't kill me," he just got back up and asked (with surprise, but not fear, in his voice) why Greer did it.

Major Tyler
October 22nd, 2009, 06:51 AM
May I ask what is the truth? Are they not relatives? :oJamil Walker Smith is actually related to Walker, Texas Ranger. ;)

jelgate
October 22nd, 2009, 06:55 AM
Jamil Walker Smith is actually related to Walker, Texas Ranger. ;)

:eek:Maybe Trivette and Greer are the same person:P

Vladius
October 22nd, 2009, 06:55 AM
He kicked a puppy.

Stormtrooper
October 22nd, 2009, 07:11 AM
Greer is not as bad a character as I thought he would be. I can't wait till he starts shooting those annoying people on board the Destiny.

Lightning Ducj
October 22nd, 2009, 07:34 AM
If Greer had a temper than Rush would've been shot out in the desert. Even when he was pointing the gun at Rush in the control room he didn't seem 'angry' in an out-of-control sense so much as convinced that Rush had screwed them up and determined not to do it again. Other than Young telling him to "take your anger out on them", I don't really see that Greer has anger or temper issues so much as he's just strong-willed and determined. I know Rush said he read Greer's file and wouldn't have picked him but I think he said the same about Scott.

I think Greer's motivations are going to end up being more subtle than just "Greer has a bad temper"

Major Tyler
October 22nd, 2009, 07:41 AM
When I first watched "Air, Pt. 3," I was a little put off by Greer's kick to Rush's back, but when I watched it again, I realized that Rush was being a real prick, and Greer didn't kick him that hard. Greer might have a temper, but he's not "unstable," nor is he untrustworthy because of it. If anything, his temper would ensure that he succeeds, because he'd be too angry with himself if he failed.

prion
October 22nd, 2009, 09:24 AM
When I first watched "Air, Pt. 3," I was a little put off by Greer's kick to Rush's back, but when I watched it again, I realized that Rush was being a real prick, and Greer didn't kick him that hard. Greer might have a temper, but he's not "unstable," nor is he untrustworthy because of it. If anything, his temper would ensure that he succeeds, because he'd be too angry with himself if he failed.

Sure, Rush is a prick, but the response still should not have been a kick to the back. I think Greer has definite 'anger management' issues. That doesn't mean he's going to kill someone. I'm sure that whatever his problem is they're going to eventually let the viewers know, although the poor man vs rich man thing seemed rather stereotyped. Since when are all scientists rich??

Lightning Ducj
October 22nd, 2009, 09:41 AM
. I think Greer has definite 'anger management' issues.

I really don't see that, yet.

although the poor man vs rich man thing seemed rather stereotyped. Since when are all scientists rich??

Both of them had rather stereotypical reactions to each other, *but* both characters responded in objection to each other's stereotypes, so while the characters were treating each other in rather cliched ways, the writers were not. Of note is that Rush started it, and I think that's just because Rush was pissed about not getting any water so he lashed out at Greer. Greer responded in kind but for all I could tell that was just his way of being as sarcastically cliched as Rush was being as I don't think Greer was really all the impressed by Rush's speech in response.

Greer just seems to be someone who is not afraid to take definitive action when he perceives it's needed

But I really hope this doesn't turn into something where everyone has a dark, secret past.

The Mighty 6 platoon
October 22nd, 2009, 09:42 AM
Sure, Rush is a prick, but the response still should not have been a kick to the back. I think Greer has definite 'anger management' issues.

Frankly among military circles Greer’s behaviour wouldn’t raise that many eyebrows. If someone’s acting like an idiot in a dangerous situation you lock them down. And Greer had more self restraint than I would have when Rush attacked him in the desert, I would have beaten Rush senseless for that.

retiredat44
October 22nd, 2009, 10:26 AM
how a bout personal responsibility,, this guy is a socio/psychopath. I don't care why he is, he just is...

Lightning Ducj
October 22nd, 2009, 10:31 AM
Now if Greer was instead played by Michael Jai White, *that* could be very interesting

The Mighty 6 platoon
October 22nd, 2009, 10:42 AM
how a bout personal responsibility,, this guy is a socio/psychopath. I don't care why he is, he just is...

How about no, he is member of the United States Marine Corp, a unit whose entire purpose is problem solving through the application of extreme violence.

Vladius
October 22nd, 2009, 10:52 AM
How about no, he is member of the United States Marine Corp, a unit whose entire purpose is problem solving through the application of extreme violence.

As opposed to any other military unit in the world *wink* *wink*.

Helmar
October 22nd, 2009, 11:06 AM

Actually there are military units who try to shoot as rarely as possible. But they are not used it normal warfare.

Major Tyler
October 22nd, 2009, 11:12 AM
Now if Greer was instead played by Michael Jai White, *that* could be very interestingJamil Walker Smith is far better in my opinion.

Lightning Ducj
October 22nd, 2009, 11:20 AM
Jamil Walker Smith is far better in my opinion.

Yeah, but I just say "Blood & Bone" and the thought of some of that action...

The Mighty 6 platoon
October 22nd, 2009, 11:33 AM

Yes while most military units value aggression, the US marines probably are one of the most aggressive forces in the world only really surpassed by the Royal Marines and the Parachute Regiment in the UK and special forces units like Delta force, SAS, SBS etc

Commander Zelix
October 22nd, 2009, 12:51 PM
Maybe he killed some children??

LOL

Major Tyler
October 22nd, 2009, 12:59 PM

LOLWhat the fck, dude! The idea of killing children makes you "LOL"?!

You're fckin' sick...

prion
October 22nd, 2009, 01:28 PM
Frankly among military circles Greer’s behaviour wouldn’t raise that many eyebrows. If someone’s acting like an idiot in a dangerous situation you lock them down. And Greer had more self restraint than I would have when Rush attacked him in the desert, I would have beaten Rush senseless for that.

Well, speaking as a civilian, I would never turn my back again on Greer if he'd done that to me. The worst Rush could have done with his yelling is dehydrated himself, or tested someone's patience, and apparently, Greer doesn't have a lot of the latter...

Major Tyler
October 22nd, 2009, 01:34 PM
Well, speaking as a civilian, I would never turn my back again on Greer if he'd done that to me. The worst Rush could have done with his yelling is dehydrated himself, or tested someone's patience, and apparently, Greer doesn't have a lot of the latter...I, on the other hand, would not only focus on Greer's negative attributes. Greer only reacts negatively to people who are confronting him or being useless.

After seeing him risk everything to rescue Scott, not only would I be willing to turn my back to him, I'd want him watching my back as often as possible.

I would do everything possible to make Top Greer my friend, because if Top Greer thinks you're worth saving, you'll live forever. (Top Greer is the new Chuck Norris! :P)

Girlbot
October 22nd, 2009, 01:38 PM
Having no other info except for what the ep shows ( having avoided spoilers ). I say he has issues, yes, but he is trying to control those and doing a fine job, I personally would have left Rush in the desert, Greer didn't. He assessed the situation at the gate, and did exactly what he should, shoot to wound and bring the guy back. what ever his other situation was, he is acting properly considering the circumstance, and focusing his anger towrds something positive. It's a start IMO

The Mighty 6 platoon
October 22nd, 2009, 01:40 PM

LOL

While your post is disgusting is does actually raise a good point (in an absolutely wall banging way).

It is possible that either the Ori or some Gou’ld used kids as foot soldiers, since both are fundamentalist religious groups and certainly on earth certain fundamentalist groups have used kids as soldiers.

The Mighty 6 platoon
October 22nd, 2009, 01:45 PM
Well, speaking as a civilian, I would never turn my back again on Greer if he'd done that to me. The worst Rush could have done with his yelling is dehydrated himself, or tested someone's patience, and apparently, Greer doesn't have a lot of the latter...

Rush was in danger of killing himself through his own stupidity. Just because Greer hit him doesn’t mean he didn’t want him to live, he was just shutting Rush up. And Greer has patience with people who show him some respect, he is a senior Marine Sergeant, anyone who has got to that rank has either put in some serious time in the Corps or seen a lot of combat. Even officers that outrank him will be respectful because of his experience.

Commander Zelix
October 22nd, 2009, 01:54 PM
What the fck, dude! The idea of killing children makes you "LOL"?!

You're fckin' sick...
The LOL meant it was a joke. As I tried to find the most horrible thing he could have done.

The Mighty 6 platoon
October 22nd, 2009, 02:16 PM
The LOL meant it was a joke. As I tried to find the most horrible thing he could have done.

Yeah well while I tend to find dead baby comedy funny, you know it actually has to be funny.

Commander Zelix
October 22nd, 2009, 02:19 PM
Yeah well while I tend to find dead baby comedy funny, you know it actually has to be funny.
Not babies, children. Please. I would never laugh at dead baby comedy. That's what separate you and me.

The Mighty 6 platoon
October 22nd, 2009, 03:43 PM
Not babies, children. Please. I would never laugh at dead baby comedy. That's what separate you and me.

Dead baby comedy simply refers to jokes that are seen as outrageous, doesn’t actually have to include actual dead babies. And I'm not the one not even making jokes but just crass comments on something that has traumatised many soldiers in reality.

Commander Zelix
October 22nd, 2009, 04:11 PM
To get back on topic. There's not much to speculate on Greer past action that got him in the cell. Its something important enough so that got him in a jail but mild enough that Young could "pardon" him to fight the Lucian Alliance. And he attributed it to "anger" issues. So he probably hit some officer, civilians or fellow soldiers. Though none of it make him a "psycho" per se. Maybe they played down the psycho part finally.

prion
October 22nd, 2009, 05:02 PM
To get back on topic. There's not much to speculate on Greer past action that got him in the cell. Its something important enough so that got him in a jail but mild enough that Young could "pardon" him to fight the Lucian Alliance. And he attributed it to "anger" issues. So he probably hit some officer, civilians or fellow soldiers. Though none of it make him a "psycho" per se. Maybe they played down the psycho part finally.

The 'psycho' was the nickname first given to the characters in the sides, whatever, and fans of course went ballistic over having a character who is unable to control his anger on the show.

does SGU have any military advisors, out of curiosity? I'd love to know their comments on how the show is going.

major davis
October 22nd, 2009, 05:38 PM
They do have advisors. They have appeared on Joseph Mallozzi's blog quite a few times. By the way, I just heard in a Q&A of Jamil's that Greer was a

Afgan Vet, like he was stationed there for a tour. Could explain a lot.

The Mighty 6 platoon
October 23rd, 2009, 02:47 AM
They do have advisors. They have appeared on Joseph Mallozzi's blog quite a few times. By the way, I just heard in a Q&A of Jamil's that Greer was a

Afgan Vet, like he was stationed there for a tour. Could explain a lot.

Afgan would explain a lot, I know a lot of guys who have done time in country who, while generally are perfectly normal on the outside, have been affected by stuff that happened. My best friend’s brother for instance had to go and clear a bomb blast, this included picking up bits of people, killed in the blast. Bear in mind I didn’t hear this from him, I heard it off someone else in his unit, because he won't talk about it. He is also the kind of guy who I'd imagine that would have the same kind of reaction if someone laid a hand on him as Greer. However I’d like some of Greer’s problems to come from fighting as a member of the SGC. It would be interesting to see how much more harrowing it was to fight off world against aliens than just plain old humans.

Major Tyler
October 23rd, 2009, 06:00 AM
I really like this Kino video. It shows a little more of Greer's personality. :P

http://au.tv.ign.com/dor/objects/14276047/sgu-stargate-universe/videos/sgu_clip1_102109.html

prion
October 23rd, 2009, 09:29 AM
Afgan would explain a lot, I know a lot of guys who have done time in country who, while generally are perfectly normal on the outside, have been affected by stuff that happened. My best friend’s brother for instance had to go and clear a bomb blast, this included picking up bits of people, killed in the blast. Bear in mind I didn’t hear this from him, I heard it off someone else in his unit, because he won't talk about it. He is also the kind of guy who I'd imagine that would have the same kind of reaction if someone laid a hand on him as Greer. However I’d like some of Greer’s problems to come from fighting as a member of the SGC. It would be interesting to see how much more harrowing it was to fight off world against aliens than just plain old humans.

Not to nitpick (okay, just correcting) it's Afghan, not Afgan.:) Basically, soldiers in the Middle East are coming back with more survivable TBI (traumatic brain injury) than in any other conflict/war. If Greer had sustained brain trauma (even a concussion) it could account for his behavior. Many soldiers get conked on the head and don't seek treatment, which is causing lots of problems... that would be believable in Greer's case, or PTSD.

Major Tyler
October 23rd, 2009, 09:48 AM
Not to nitpick (okay, just correcting) it's Afghan, not Afgan.:) Basically, soldiers in the Middle East are coming back with more survivable TBI (traumatic brain injury) than in any other conflict/war. If Greer had sustained brain trauma (even a concussion) it could account for his behavior. Many soldiers get conked on the head and don't seek treatment, which is causing lots of problems... that would be believable in Greer's case, or PTSD.Or he could just have a low tolerance for jackasses. That makes far more sense to me.

The Mighty 6 platoon
October 23rd, 2009, 10:03 AM
Not to nitpick (okay, just correcting) it's Afghan, not Afgan.:) Basically, soldiers in the Middle East are coming back with more survivable TBI (traumatic brain injury) than in any other conflict/war. If Greer had sustained brain trauma (even a concussion) it could account for his behavior. Many soldiers get conked on the head and don't seek treatment, which is causing lots of problems... that would be believable in Greer's case, or PTSD.

Bloody typos.

But the long term affects of combat on soldiers can lead to personality changes. Many soldiers that return from combat can still function perfectly fine, some are visibly affected, some less so but still have problems. I know people who suddenly go quiet when they here a particular song, they clam up because they will associate it with a friend they lost because it was their favourite music or they remember them listening to it or singing it.

prion
October 23rd, 2009, 01:07 PM
Bloody typos.

But the long term affects of combat on soldiers can lead to personality changes. Many soldiers that return from combat can still function perfectly fine, some are visibly affected, some less so but still have problems. I know people who suddenly go quiet when they here a particular song, they clam up because they will associate it with a friend they lost because it was their favourite music or they remember them listening to it or singing it.

In some respects, that's standard for any person. Play a song, they'll remember something special to them. Smells are the most powerful of the senses to bring back memories. But that isn't as prononced as PTSD, which can alter behavior patterns.

And, one good head injury can alter personality forever as well. It would be interesting if TBTB tackled TBI... but don't think so in this instant.

Any bets on *when* we find out what's been bugging Greer to make him so angry? I 'm thinking it will 2010 before we find out...

Major Tyler
October 23rd, 2009, 01:33 PM
Any bets on *when* we find out what's been bugging Greer to make him so angry? I 'm thinking it will 2010 before we find out...My bet is in the episode "Lost"...We learn that Greer had an abusive father and a mother who was unwilling/unable to stop it.

The Mighty 6 platoon
October 23rd, 2009, 02:55 PM
In some respects, that's standard for any person. Play a song, they'll remember something special to them. Smells are the most powerful of the senses to bring back memories. But that isn't as prononced as PTSD, which can alter behavior patterns.

And, one good head injury can alter personality forever as well. It would be interesting if TBTB tackled TBI... but don't think so in this instant.

Any bets on *when* we find out what's been bugging Greer to make him so angry? I 'm thinking it will 2010 before we find out...

People tend to be really affected by memories of people however if their most prominent memory is searching for that persons arms and legs after they got caught in an IED blast.

Cold Fuzz
October 23rd, 2009, 06:28 PM
I really like this Kino video. It shows a little more of Greer's personality. :P

http://au.tv.ign.com/dor/objects/14276047/sgu-stargate-universe/videos/sgu_clip1_102109.html

Greenage for you! Thanks for posting this Kino vid. Spying on Eli from the inside is definitely a Greerism. :D

Is this video considered one of the official Kino "webisodes" for SGU?

Radahldo
October 23rd, 2009, 07:30 PM
His abs are phenomenal.

suse
October 23rd, 2009, 11:26 PM
His abs are phenomenal.

WORD!

He's one of my 2 favorite characters. Right up there with Young. Not sure who is THE fave. Love the Grunt. :D

The abs have it at the mo. <<yes, I have shallow moments:o)

suse

Major Tyler
October 24th, 2009, 02:46 AM
His abs are phenomenal.And yet he has no thunk thread...

Major Tyler
October 24th, 2009, 02:52 AM
I'm glad that all Greer did to get in lock-up was......knock Telford on his ass.Even Young thought it was the right thing to do. :P

Radahldo
October 24th, 2009, 04:32 AM
And yet he has no thunk thread...

He should certainly be in the top 3 of everyones "take a shower" list.

Jack_Bauer
October 24th, 2009, 05:16 AM
So now we know why Greer was in the cell in Air.

He decked Telford.

Good form, very good form :P

Young seemed pretty happy about it, and I wonder why Greer did it in the first place.

I'm gonna say racism, not for any reason, just throwing it out there cause I've got nothing else...

Phenom
October 24th, 2009, 05:27 AM
Yeah Greer was brilliant this ep. Loved it how he decked that angry bald bloke.

Loyalty seems to be a MASSIVE thing for him so I am going to say that Telford did the wrong thing by a mate of Greer. Maybe Telford shagged his best mates missus?

GateLadyM
October 24th, 2009, 05:30 AM
Loved it in the lottery when Greer decked that guy who was starting to get outta hand. Greer is gonna be this show's version of Teal'c. Love him already!

YoshiKart64
October 24th, 2009, 05:41 AM
This episode was awesome for Greer, he's so far from the generic character many feared he'd be.

jsonitsac
October 24th, 2009, 06:27 AM
I guess this also sheds some light on Telford's behavior when he and Young were using the LRC stones.

Stormtrooper
October 24th, 2009, 07:03 AM
Greer has been a very good character indeed. I hope he doesn't devolve into some sort of psychopath in the coming episodes.

Go Greer.

Bebbe777
October 24th, 2009, 07:25 AM
After this episode I'm really starting to like Greer.

aretood2
October 24th, 2009, 07:31 AM
Is anyone suprised that he decked Telford?

Bebbe777
October 24th, 2009, 07:35 AM
Is anyone suprised that he decked Telford?

A bit but it was a nice surprise. He showed loyalty towards Young and he also showed he knew what needs to be done for the greater good.

sinderg
October 24th, 2009, 07:42 AM
After this episode I'm really starting to like Greer.

2nd :)

When I 1st saw him I thought he was just another generic macho army guy, but he’s a lot more.

IcarusAbides
October 24th, 2009, 08:53 AM
So now we know why Greer was in the cell in Air.

He decked Telford.

Good form, very good form :P

Young seemed pretty happy about it, and I wonder why Greer did it in the first place.

I'm gonna say racism, not for any reason, just throwing it out there cause I've got nothing else...
I think Greer decked Telford due to something that Telford did to or was planning to do to Young.

Girlbot
October 24th, 2009, 09:29 AM
Loved finding out about : I was delighted to find out it was Telford :D and that Young agreed with Greer. I'm not a Telford fan myself

prion
October 24th, 2009, 09:38 AM
well, after watching "Light" it seems Greer does have anger management issues. SOmeone pisses him off, he clocks them (although in Spencer's case, I can see doing that to avoid Spencer starting a riot) but otherwise, he needs to deal with it.

Girlbot
October 24th, 2009, 09:47 AM
I think he's dealing with it really well considering the stressful situation. He's controlling it. He didn't shoot Rush in the desert did he? I'm sure he really really wanted to (I know I did:D). I think he has a personal boiling point, but it hasn't interfered with his doing his job on the Destiny. I like Greer