Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you feel Sci-Fi has changed over the years?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do you feel Sci-Fi has changed over the years?

Hey all

I was talking to my buddy a few days ago, and it got me thinking of this genre we call Sci-Fi. As a man who enjoys a good sci-fi movie/show/book I grew up with things like Star Trek TNG/DS9/Voyager, Star Wars, Babylon 5, Farscape, Matrix, and Stargate but it feels these days that Sci-Fi is not what I grew up with. I don't know what I feel like these days with shows like SGU, BSG, the New ST movie that I feel out of touch with what Sci-fi is evolving into. Many would agree that sci-fi is kind of a refuge where people would go to feel accepted, where differences are welcomed, a kind of sanctuary.

To much of the widespread sci-fi community I see that fighting aliens that look like humans (baddies from the new V series) and human robots (cylons) are the bad guys of choice in the era of space opera. I loved the days where every other sci-fi race you met did not remotely look human (through either make-up or CG). Then there is remolding sci-fi to fit more mainstream. In the new Star Trek movie throwing in product placement and many characters playing loose with morals (I'm sorry but the green chick making out with Kirk, no one is that slutty in the old ST series). I know many artists create work to be appreciated, but do you have to give up what unique to create whats already so common?

I started watching a show called Flashforward, and its good, kinda reminds me of 24. But what bother me about the show is the creator said out in articles that he is downplaying the sci-fi element, so he can reach a broader audience. Is being sci-fi or being labeled sci-fi so bad?

Yes

But that is to be expected. Every TV genre has changed in the past years. That is the side effect of time changes occur.
    Originally posted by aretood2
    Jelgate is right

Comment

All genres evolve as the years go on, science fiction just seems to have been stuck in an unfortunate rut for the last 10-15 years. It's been trying its damndest to move completely into long-term, arc-based storytelling. But that's being hampered by shortsighted TV executives who only see numbers in terms of the grossly flawed and inadequate Nielson numbers system. In consequence of that, they either don't bother with advertising at all or else just kill it in its infancy before it turns into something great.

Successful examples, in spite of TV exec. incompetence:
      - Babylon 5
      - Battlestar Galactica
      - Farscape
      - ST: Deep Space Nine

Failed examples of great or potentially great SF/F TV:
      - Carnivale
      - Crusade
      - Dollhouse (soon enough)
      - Firefly
      - The Lone Gunmen
      - seaQuest
      - Space Above and Beyond
      "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

yeah they need to stop making movies about robots taking over the world !, make more positive ones , i wonder what hasn't been done yet ?
        sigpic
        May the odds be ever in your Favor ! oh and please say hello to me on Skype and Facebook

Comment

Scifi is constantly changing and evolving. Unfortunately, the stereotypes of how "outsiders" perceive the genre probably hasn't changed in the past 40-50 years. Shows like BSG may have made scifi kinda trendy to certain extent, but a majority of producers (and even audiences, unfortunately) tend to avoid the label like a plague... even when their show blatantly belongs in the SF&F genre (I'm looking at YOU, David Goyer).

As for the alien-looking aliens... What? Lots of aliens are humanoid or human-looking, especially when you go back into the days before CGI and high-quality prosthetics. That isn't a "new" trend, it's an ongoing one. For every Vorlon there's a Goa'uld. For every Alien there's a Time Lord. That's the way it's always been and probably always will be. If you want to take a political view you could say that the current trend ties in to the human (or American, anyway) paranoia about terrorists and how "they look just like everyone else." *shrug* In the old days the Russians were the template for the "evil bad aliens." Other cultures, too, have faced similar space makeovers. Eventually, I'm sure, the focus will change to something/someone else.

Comment

TV as a whole has changed over the years, SyFy or should I say Sci-Fi was my most watched TV channel about 4-5 years ago, its now my least watched channel.

Comment

Originally posted by Replicator Todd View Post
              TV as a whole has changed over the years, SyFy or should I say Sci-Fi was my most watched TV channel about 4-5 years ago, its now my least watched channel.
              Yeah, but that's because they're trying to get away from the cootie-infested scifi label, too, and branch out into other things. A lot of what Skiffy shows these days isn't really science fiction/fantasy, not by my definition, anyway. And their relevant content can be pretty crappy, too, which doesn't help matters. I don't think Syfy really bespeaks the genre anymore and I wouldn't judge the evolution of SF&F based on Skiffy's content.

Comment

Originally posted by DarkAsgard View Post
                (I'm sorry but the green chick making out with Kirk, no one is that slutty in the old ST series).
                Are you high or just forgetful?

The reason the green skinned chick scene was funny was because Kirk bedded green skinned girls on at LEAST 2 occasions during TOS. He also kissed Uhura and bedded , AFAIK, at least 5 other women while traveling the universe, not to mention the ones he randomly romanced without sealing the deal along the way. At least part of the scene was with the lights off, making it somewhat artsy and tasteful for the easily offended.

The syfy channel doesn't fit scifi anymore, with additions like lost, Joan of Arcadia, horror movies, wrestling, etc.

Babylon 5 and Farscape BOTH had far worse sex and violence than we have seen on SGU or the trek reboot. Hell, I would argue that in many ways, Babylon 5 had much darker stories than SGU by far.

Really, do you think Battlestar Galactica really invented dark, brooding scifi/fantasy storytelling?

Farscape, Lexx, Babylon 5, DS9, (some) Voyager, Firefly, Heroes, Angel, Buffy, Charmed. Hell, DS9 started in 1993, lexx in 1997. WAY before BSG. In reality these shows created the environment for BSG.

In reality, scifi has been moving in this direction for at LEAST the past 10-15 years. They are going to put out what sells.

I'm sorry if the happy go-lucky stories and bubblegum endings are gone, but in reality, is makes for some very boring storytelling to make the same exact story every single week essentially by mad-libs.

This week we are ________ by a ________ Because we _______. So we have to _____ our/someone else's _______ to save the day!

Can you see how that becomes boring or predictable, and why the general audience gets tired of it? Telling more complex stories with more complex characters gives the show more depth. Hell, even warehouse 13, the closest thing to older bubblegum scifi has a few dark characters with secretive pasts.

So in closing, bubblegum scifi is nearly dead, and I for one welcome the new style of scifi.

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
                  Yes

But that is to be expected. Every TV genre has changed in the past years. That is the side effect of time changes occur.
                  Side effect? Without change, there would be no time

Comment

Uh, that's what I've been trying to say for years.

What do you think I do all day besides groan and complain about SF being changed. I like where it is going, but I do want more exploring the TRULY ALIEN!
                    :
                    "There must be some way out of here..."

Comment

Working...
                    X