General Hammond ship sucks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

General Hammond ship sucks

Why couldn't the hammond defeat three alliance ships when it's capable of destroying an ori or hive ship with a couple of asgard beam weapon shots???

The Hammond was just being completed at the end of SGA
    Spoiler:
    so it's possible that the APBWs may not have been installed yet

At any rate; if the Hammond had destroyed the ships, they may not have gotten to Destiny at all.
    sigpic

Comment

The first episode of SGU took place about a week after the events of the finale of SGA. If you remember, the Hammond had no functional weapons or defensive systems online for the battle with the Superhive. This means they only had a week to get shields and some kind of weapons online. Obviously it would take longer than that to reverse engineer an Asgard beam weapon, but they could just rip railguns off of any of the other 4 crippled ships.

They needed something to transport people to a gate-less planet, and there was no reason they couldn't use the Hammond with salvaged railguns.

Comment

These are special - the Communist Hat'ak.
        Well, contrary to popular human belief, the Earth is not the centre of the galaxy. (c) ARIS BOCH
        SGU DEAD - Good News !!!

Comment

There is a chance that the APBW were not installed.

Maybe they were not online yet to save power as no one expected to get attacked 21 LY from earth.

Maybe they got knocked offline.

Heck maybe they started being used but there were too many gliders deployed by time they started killing part of the LA.

Comment

Originally posted by SleepZone View Post
            There is a chance that the APBW were not installed.
            This is the most likely explanation, though I wish they could have inserted just a couple of lines to clarify this. It wouldn't take Sam very long to say something along the lines of, "The Hammond's a new ship. Its weapons array isn't fully online yet."
            sigpic

Comment

I don't know much about the ship or what it does, but it has the right/best person in charge, and as far as I'm concerned, any ship to have Sam Carter as it's commander, is one lucky ship.

Comment

Well it's certainly not the first time we've ever seen one of our ships get hit off the bat and lose a subsystem or two.

Having been attacked unawares (now that's the point I have trouble with) does have the affect of getting hit with your pants down.

Neera: "You do not fear them?"
                : "The Wraith? Naah. Now *clowns* — that's another story."

Comment

Originally posted by Encoder View Post
                  Well it's certainly not the first time we've ever seen one of our ships get hit off the bat and lose a subsystem or two.

Having been attacked unawares (now that's the point I have trouble with) does have the affect of getting hit with your pants down.

Just before Sam says "They started shooting the minute they came out of hyperspace" it shows some of the turretted railgun positions were'nt firing (at least they were pointing at the right way) so take your pick.
                  sigpic
                  Save Mallozzi's Mailbag!

Comment

The ship might not be awesome, but I think that it was nice to have a ship named after General Hammond. He was a very influential character in the SG universe and since Don S. Davis has passed away we will not see him again.

Comment

Originally posted by Adeneth View Post
                      The ship might not be awesome, but I think that it was nice to have a ship named after General Hammond. He was a very influential character in the SG universe and since Don S. Davis has passed away we will not see him again.
                      Don was an awesome man! RIP Don...

Neera: "You do not fear them?"
                      : "The Wraith? Naah. Now *clowns* — that's another story."

Comment

I was wondering the same thing and I wish they had at least addressed it. There are several completely logical explanations but since it wasn't addressed it's anyone's guess.

It seems to me though that when constructing a new ship they should integrate those weapon systems in it from the start. I know they had to tack them on later to the earlier ships but they don't have to reverse engineer them every time. Asgard technology gives you the ability to create things using the Asgard core. It wouldn't be hard to put the weapons on there.

Comment

Originally posted by Adeneth View Post
                          You think that never die?
                          Well, contrary to popular human belief, the Earth is not the centre of the galaxy. (c) ARIS BOCH
                          SGU DEAD - Good News !!!

Comment

Originally posted by PacoJr67 View Post
                            The Hammond was just being completed at the end of SGA
                            Spoiler:
                            so it's possible that the APBWs may not have been installed yet

At any rate; if the Hammond had destroyed the ships, they may not have gotten to Destiny at all.
                            green
                            https://twitter.com/#!/Solar_wind84

Comment

Originally posted by mylestaylor View Post
                              It seems to me though that when constructing a new ship they should integrate those weapon systems in it from the start. I know they had to tack them on later to the earlier ships but they don't have to reverse engineer them every time. Asgard technology gives you the ability to create things using the Asgard core. It wouldn't be hard to put the weapons on there.
                              While the ship is new, the Asgard upgrades have been available for nearly two years. Given how fast the weapons were installed on the others, it seems unlikely that they weren't on the Hammond. It also doesn't explain why the shields were so weak and why the ship traveled so slow.

They should have thought of another way of jump starting the series, rather than gimping the USS Hammond.

Comment

Working...
                              X