Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stargates in range

first post, wooo

Anyways. Towards the end of the ep when the Destiny drops out of FTL and starts dialing, Rush says "The ship detected a gate on a planet within range." And Franklin (i think it was) says "Four more gates just came up, they may be planets within range."

Been trying to work out why the ship needs to be within range of the Stargates to dial out.

Your thoughts?

The Stargates are usually powered by the Planets there on, somehow. Seeing as the Stargate on the Destiny is powered by the ship itself, and the ship is low on power, the Stargate can only dial to gates nearby, requiring only relatively small amounts of power.

That's my idea, anyway.

Comment

Its a very old system of gates. A lot older then what we are use to
      Originally posted by aretood2
      Jelgate is right

Comment

The Desiny gate is unique and designed to only dial short distances. This is because it was made for exploration, and having the ship do it in a liner way makes sense. Also having the Destiny only dial very close gates saves power. Since the ship was designed to be used for a very long time, power conservation would be a big deal.
        "Enemies of the Ori show no mercy in their attempts to draw believers away from the path."
        "Those who abandon the path are evil."
        "Hallowed are the Ori!"

"Individuals who point the finger and assign blame based on nothing more than their gut instinct are ignorant at best, cretins at worst." -- Joseph Mallozzi

Comment

Originally posted by The Mastage Kidd View Post
          The Desiny gate is unique and designed to only dial short distances. This is because it was made for exploration, and having the ship do it in a liner way makes sense. Also having the Destiny only dial very close gates saves power. Since the ship was designed to be used for a very long time, power conservation would be a big deal.
          That sounds like a very valid idea; it may also be that this region of space only has a few stargates, and any others would be considered "in another galaxy" and thus requiring an 8-chevron address and much extra power.

Comment

I'm hoping that many of these 'Destiny's Stargate' questions will be answered as soon as possible, because for me the currently feel more like plotholes then mysteries (I'm sure that TPTB thought of everything in this regard, but I really hope they will also explain it to us).
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by renboy View Post
              I'm hoping that many of these 'Destiny's Stargate' questions will be answered as soon as possible, because for me the currently feel more like plotholes then mysteries (I'm sure that TPTB thought of everything in this regard, but I really hope they will also explain it to us).
              How the gate works is pretty low on the list of questions about how the Destiny works. I'm more interested to know what's been powering it for so long.
              "You wanna run this ship?"
              "YES!"
              "W.. well, you can't."

Comment

Originally posted by renboy View Post
                According to a interview of TPTB:
                "It's not a new Stargate. It is, in fact, a very old Stargate. It's the prototype. It has a limited range, a far more limited range than the Milky Way or Pegasus Galaxy Stargates. For example, if the Destiny is traveling through a galaxy it can't go anywhere in that galaxy -- it can only go within a limited range.

"That's why they put it on a ship, so as it moves through the galaxy it can move across it and explore Stargates that have been seeded by other ships prior to the launch of the Destiny, who knows how many hundreds of years before."

Excerpt from the bottom of the page here.
                "From East Middle School. Suzumiya Haruhi. I have no interest in ordinary humans. If there are any aliens, time travelers, sliders, or espers here, come join me."
                - The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya; Best Character Introduction Ever.

"And can we lose the ten thousand year old dead plants?!"
                - Stargate: Atlantis (1x03) "Hide and Seek"

"Hammerheads do not load/unload units immediately – they must descend to ground level first. Initial experiments involving jump-jetting infantry into the Hammerhead’s cargo compartment met with unfortunate results."
                - Command&Conquer 3: Kane's Wrath Hammerhead Unit Spotlight

Comment

Ah, that's good to know

Of course, they need to mention this in the show itself somehow, even a single line from Rush could clear things up.
                  They showed us how stargates work in the last 12 years, and if this one is different - I'm sure the characters in the show (who actually delt with stargates before) would be curious about this as well.
                  sigpic

Comment

At a guess, I'd imagine the question itself will come from Eli, something about why can't they dial all of the seeded gates in said galaxy, just like in the MW and PG, and have to stick only to ones in range.
                    sigpic

Comment

So its a proto type gate? Cool, but Rush estimated the ship to have been launches hundred of thousand years ago. Isn't the Milky Way Beta Gate 50 million years old? It would have been alot easier if he said Millions.

Geeze the Destiny must be Millions of years old, or they decided to use old, power saving tech from the far past on a newer ship when it launched.

Comment

Originally posted by Quadhelix View Post
                        According to a interview of TPTB:

Excerpt from the bottom of the page here.
                        Ou Well then everything is fine. The prototype had a different principle of addressing later revised and range - well, for example, one local star cluster. 10-20 addresses. And then they were replaced with more powerful and are needed for the new addressing system. Then all is good. As and reason to creation Destiny Class starship, but on new production models stargates nine shevron has another function which is still unknown. Good really good idea for script writing. But then those who are on the Destiny will never come back home and they really have one-way ticket without variation. And this is good idea.
                        Well, contrary to popular human belief, the Earth is not the centre of the galaxy. (c) ARIS BOCH
                        SGU DEAD - Good News !!!

Comment

Except according to the first two episodes the address database contains 8 letter addresses why have them if the stargate is incapable of dialling them.

Comment

Originally posted by knowles2 View Post
                            Except according to the first two episodes the address database contains 8 letter addresses why have them if the stargate is incapable of dialling them.
                            It's not incapable, it just lacks a massive amount of power. [edit]And they could be teasing us: it might turn out to be the wrong address after all.
                            "Most people who are watching TV are semi-catatonic. They're not fully alive." - U.S. District Court Judge Timothy Batten Sr.
                            Ronald Greer is also a medic. Your argument is invalid.
                            Originally posted by J-Whitt Remastered
                            Secondly, I think that everything DigiFluid is good.
                            Sandcastle Builder: The game of XKCD: Time

Comment

Hrmmm... I hadn't really thought about the (obvious) fact that the gates existing means that the Destiny is not the first ancient ship to head out that way.

Comment

Working...
                              X