PDA

View Full Version : Ship Damage and weapons

electronlove
October 6th, 2009, 09:57 PM
In the intro scene when the camera sweeps across the ship, you can clearly make out many areas where compartments are open to space, save for the yellow glow of a forcefield. The ship has definitely been damaged. There is one particular spot which is huge. I also saw the existence of space cannons on the Destiny so there are clearly weapons. Anyone care to comment?

Vagabond Serpent
October 7th, 2009, 04:35 AM
"Destiny" is very old ship, launched several millions years ago. Nothing strange in the fact that it was quite damaged and doesn't have drone weapons on board. I'd like to see what kind of weapons did the Ancients had before the invention of drone ones. And, of course, I'd like to see 'em in action :D

VSHARMA
October 7th, 2009, 05:10 AM
"Destiny" is very old ship, launched several millions years ago. Nothing strange in the fact that it was quite damaged and doesn't have drone weapons on board. I'd like to see what kind of weapons did the Ancients had before the invention of drone ones. And, of course, I'd like to see 'em in action :D

it was launched hundreds of thousands of years ago. Not several million....

The Prophet
October 7th, 2009, 05:20 AM

There's no actual dates saying when it was built/ constructed. So it could be several millions, much more, or less.

Mongoletsi
October 7th, 2009, 05:38 AM
No mate, it was definitely millions of years ago. Rush makes a bit of a sweeping statement which has confused those who know better :D

malfunction
October 7th, 2009, 06:20 AM
The technology alone proves that it was millions of years ago, if it was only hundreds of thousands it would be newer than Atlantis. It has to be at a of five million years old.

Vagabond Serpent
October 7th, 2009, 07:14 AM
I've heard Rush's phrase about ship's age quite good. But there's why I've calculated it's age to be more then several mlns. years:
1) When Eli, Rush & others are watching the video log, Rush, or somebody else, says that the Ancients have launched it from the Earth.
2) SGA s1e01-02 "Rising"; First minute - The last of the remainig at the Milky Way Ancients are leaving Earth on the city of Atlantis. There's comment below: "SEVERAL MILLION YEARS AGO"
3) They couldn't have launched "Destiny" from our planet after that, could they?
4) Atlantis looks like to be using much more advanced tech than the "Destiny" during it's takeoff.

So, "Destiny" is obviously much older than "SEVERAL MILLIONS YEARS AGO"
Just simple logic. ;)

Gate-builder
October 8th, 2009, 05:37 PM
I've heard Rush's phrase about ship's age quite good. But there's why I've calculated it's age to be more then several mlns. years:
1) When Eli, Rush & others are watching the video log, Rush, or somebody else, says that the Ancients have launched it from the Earth.
2) SGA s1e01-02 "Rising"; First minute - The last of the remainig at the Milky Way Ancients are leaving Earth on the city of Atlantis. There's comment below: "SEVERAL MILLION YEARS AGO"
3) They couldn't have launched "Destiny" from our planet after that, could they?
4) Atlantis looks like to be using much more advanced tech than the "Destiny" during it's takeoff.

So, "Destiny" is obviously much older than "SEVERAL MILLIONS YEARS AGO"
Just simple logic. ;)

Also, it was said that when destiny was launched, the Ancients were going to gate aboard at some point. To do this obviously requires a 9th chevron, so it is safe to assume that every gate we have seen was built after, or around the same time destiny was launched as they all have 9 chevrons. Carter put the age of the Antarctic gate at ~50 million years, so Destiny must be that old at least. I dunno what Rush was getting at with his 'hundreds of thousands of years ago' comment.

Cold Fuzz
October 8th, 2009, 07:12 PM
Also, it was said that when destiny was launched, the Ancients were going to gate aboard at some point. To do this obviously requires a 9th chevron, so it is safe to assume that every gate we have seen was built after, or around the same time destiny was launched as they all have 9 chevrons. Carter put the age of the Antarctic gate at ~50 million years, so Destiny must be that old at least. I dunno what Rush was getting at with his 'hundreds of thousands of years ago' comment.

Given the Destiny's apparent decayed status, 50 million years could very well be the case, especially since the voids and supervoids the Destiny has been traveling through are immensely vast.

Vagabond Serpent
October 8th, 2009, 09:20 PM

Given the Destiny's apparent decayed status, 50 million years could very well be the case, especially since the voids and supervoids the Destiny has been traveling through are immensely vast.

Heh, remember how much galaxies had the log shown? It's clearly more then two or five. I was thinking that "Destiny" is about 6 mlns years old, but considering these two ideas, I should agree with the fact that it's age is more than 50 mlns years. :D

knowles2
October 9th, 2009, 07:26 AM
So it anywhere between 7 and 50 million years old which does not really narrow it does really.

I think we can agree it very very old an in desperate need of some TLC

thekillman
October 9th, 2009, 07:29 AM
50 million years? nope.

50 million years ago the ancients barely got here.

at the height of their civelisation, so probably before the plague, which struck about 5 million years ago

Vagabond Serpent
October 9th, 2009, 09:25 AM
50 million years? nope.

50 million years ago the ancients barely got here.

at the height of their civelisation, so probably before the plague, which struck about 5 million years ago

And why then the "Destiny" looks so different from another ancients' ships and seems to be much older in its design???

Gate-builder
October 9th, 2009, 02:03 PM
And why would they have built 9 chevron stargates before the Destiny?

The Prophet
October 9th, 2009, 02:06 PM

Forethought ;)

Like having redundant buttons on machines, than can later be used for additional software/ hardware.

knowles2
October 10th, 2009, 12:14 AM

Why build extra ports in the computer, why ip 6 with 10 trillion different numbers. It called redundancy and planning ahead a little. If pretty easy if the original designer started of with 7 to dial anywhere in the galaxy, eight to dial a other galaxy an 9th for experiment uses or a other distance calculation may be for clusters of galaxy. An if you building tens of thousands of devices you want some flexibility in there design.

AtlantisForever
October 10th, 2009, 12:21 AM

its several millions of years old... as atlantis left earth several million years ago :)

nithel
October 17th, 2009, 03:54 PM
Sorry if this has been up before, i couldn't find anything about it :)

Why is destiny damaged?
I know it's very old and stuff, but with the ship flying in FTL (which seems like a very clean and not-so-very-damaging environment), what would cause such the damage to destiny? I can only think of general stress to the hull, but i can't imagine how that would tear big chunks of the ship like that..

D-aria
October 18th, 2009, 01:45 AM
The age would have cause some one the hulls integrity to fail making it easier for damage to occur, few asteroids whacked it? Also it kind of looks like the Destiny didn't have the smoothest of sailing. Maybe a battle here and there. Some of the damage could be weapons fire. And if anything like the Gas giants atmosphere happened once in a while, prob wouldn't be the best. And you have to remember as far as Ancient technology the ship is pretty old. Before the Gene was important. Probably wasn't built like an Aurora class ship.

SerpentGuard
October 18th, 2009, 05:18 AM
a lot can happen in a million years...

nithel
October 18th, 2009, 05:51 AM
The age would have cause some one the hulls integrity to fail making it easier for damage to occur, few asteroids whacked it? Also it kind of looks like the Destiny didn't have the smoothest of sailing. Maybe a battle here and there. Some of the damage could be weapons fire. And if anything like the Gas giants atmosphere happened once in a while, prob wouldn't be the best. And you have to remember as far as Ancient technology the ship is pretty old. Before the Gene was important. Probably wasn't built like an Aurora class ship.

My point was, as far as i knew, destiny has been in FTL since it was launched. It would have flown in a environment where no weapons fire or asteroids should be able to reach it, unless it drops out of FTL.

But i just came up with an explanation: It must have dropped out and recharged on the way, making it vulnerable for space-junk and enemies. Because since the ship is damaged, it must at some point have lost shields.. And we see in Air that the shield is temporarily fixing the holes in the hull. It would also make sense that it had to recharge a lot to sustain FTL travel for millions of years..
Does this make sense :)?. I'm only guessing, but to me it seems like the only explanation..

Sonicbluemustang
October 18th, 2009, 04:55 PM
I agree that it might be from asteroids or meteors and such. If it was attacked at some point I'm sure automated defenses would kick in. I hope they address this in a later episode. :)

D-aria
October 18th, 2009, 06:36 PM
It would have had to drop out of FTL to drop gates and scan planets.

Professor D.H.D. Puddlejumper
October 18th, 2009, 09:14 PM
My point was, as far as i knew, destiny has been in FTL since it was launched. It would have flown in a environment where no weapons fire or asteroids should be able to reach it, unless it drops out of FTL.

But i just came up with an explanation: It must have dropped out and recharged on the way, making it vulnerable for space-junk and enemies. Because since the ship is damaged, it must at some point have lost shields.. And we see in Air that the shield is temporarily fixing the holes in the hull. It would also make sense that it had to recharge a lot to sustain FTL travel for millions of years..
Does this make sense :)?. I'm only guessing, but to me it seems like the only explanation..

Yes, it makes sense, and it's along the lines of the answer I would have given, only you said it better than I would have.

:)

chris1984
October 19th, 2009, 01:45 AM
It would have had to drop out of FTL to drop gates and scan planets.

I dont mean to sound rude or anything but seriously....are we still not getting this.... Destiny is the FOLLOW on ship....not the gate SEEDING ships....not only has this been explained on paper it has also been touched upon in the pilot.
Just so we're all clear.....DESTINY does NOT drop gates. Its explores.

Professor D.H.D. Puddlejumper
October 19th, 2009, 01:06 PM
Just so we're all clear.....DESTINY does NOT drop gates. Its explores.

I can just see a future episode where aliens on some planet attack Destiny as it approaches, due to the fact that a seeder ship, a generation earlier, dropped a gate on someone's house. :D

chris1984
October 20th, 2009, 12:08 AM
I can just see a future episode where aliens on some planet attack Destiny as it approaches, due to the fact that a seeder ship, a generation earlier, dropped a gate on someone's house. :D

Now that would be ace!

Mongoletsi
October 20th, 2009, 01:40 AM
Sorry if this has been up before, i couldn't find anything about it :)
You didn't try, admit it :D

UniverseSizePlotHole
October 20th, 2009, 01:47 AM

That's quite likely - dropping on house. :yuanime01:

Not knowing the capacity of a shuttle at the moment and the seeder ship configuration we'd have to think the Ancients didn't use beaming except inside the Atlantis cityship in certain transporter thingies (were they closets?) they'd have to land it planetside or drop it through atmo (it could take a had landing but the first planetside Gate in Dethiny's current realm was mounted properly on a base. Also we don't know how when 'space gates' were started.

UniverseSizePlotHole
October 20th, 2009, 01:49 AM
You didn't try, admit it :D

:replicatoranime01: Don't taunt the Probie - it might replicate! :replicatoranime01:

chris1984
October 21st, 2009, 05:28 AM
:replicatoranime01: Don't taunt the Probie - it might replicate! :replicatoranime01:

Harsh

EternalAlteran
October 24th, 2009, 05:46 AM
Well it could have dropped out to gather energy, and some race saw it and started shooting at the destiny. The destiny probably has the ability to protect itself, maybe with it's weapon system or just run. But in all the years the destiny was flying around it could have happened several time

Ravroz
October 26th, 2009, 10:53 AM
I really hope they find the ships log soon and hopefully it has a record of exactly why the ship is in the shape it is in.

Laxian of Earth
December 7th, 2009, 03:59 AM
well as most of the holes looked like being blown into the ship it was probably hit by something (most likely weaponsfire as asteroids should scatter on its shields - and ancient shields are only overcome with more power then they have (asteroids do not have that kind of power) that's why i guess it was highpower energyweapons (there should be people out their that are at least as advanced as the ancients and more war like then them (and as the ship seems to have no real AI (one that can addapt do situations without having them pre-programmed into it) the ship could not adapt (like answer a communication asking its intention - and so those supposed people opened fire on it)

greetings LAX

MSCA
December 10th, 2009, 02:03 PM
As far as I understand it, Destiny travels in our own space and not in another dimension of space like hyperspace, thus while in FTL theoretically asteroids, space junk and weapons fire could impact Destiny's shield. :)

Mongoletsi
December 11th, 2009, 01:30 AM
Heh, maybe Destiny was shot at by Lanteans or Ori... I'm sure we'll find out.

spinny magee
December 12th, 2009, 02:23 PM
Probably not Lanteans or Ori. Probably annoyed some Locals who had their own ships (seeder ship puts a gate on the planet, ancients check it out, they are peeved so all hell breaks loose)

Destiny gets pounded, but (the huge guns) takes out tonnes of them, they abandon ship and have a settlement somewhere in the galaxy.

Mind you the question still remains what happened to the crew, I just get the feeling we are going to meet Ancients that aren't crazy in this series. 3rd times the charm!

The Swarm
December 13th, 2009, 12:16 PM
Indeed, i dont think the Destiny didnt encounter one single planet where an advanced species lived on that boarded it throught the Stargate when it came in range of it.

But unless they hwere humanoid they couldnt have accessed the chair.

Jper
December 23rd, 2009, 06:00 AM
Reply @spinny magee,

Minor spoilers for the first half of SGU S1,

Probably not Lanteans or Ori. Probably annoyed some Locals who had their own ships (seeder ship puts a gate on the planet, ancients check it out, they are peeved so all hell breaks loose)

Destiny gets pounded, but (the huge guns) takes out tonnes of them, they abandon ship and have a settlement somewhere in the galaxy.

Mind you the question still remains what happened to the crew, I just get the feeling we are going to meet Ancients that aren't crazy in this series. 3rd times the charm!

The Ancients never boarded the Destiny... so that wouldn't be possible. Someone else might have boarded the Destiny, but, eh we know nothing about that.

Jper
December 23rd, 2009, 08:15 AM
And there's this new J.M. blog post (http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/2009/12/23/december-23-2009-travel-day-mucho-mailbag/):

Joebags writes: “Are we every going to discover why certain planets were selected for gates? Why there are no DHD’s? How are these gates supposed to work and interact with each other? What is Destiny’s purpose? Make sure the gates work? Why? For whom? Destiny is huge, so what was its crew like? What happened to them?”

Answers: Planets were selected on the basis of their ability to sustain life. No DHD’s because the Ancients planned to use remote DHD’s instead. Destiny’s purpose was to explore the planets seeded by the advance seeder ships. Destiny never had a crew. The Ancients ascended before they could board it.

Source:
http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/2009/12/23/december-23-2009-travel-day-mucho-mailbag/

malfunction
December 23rd, 2009, 03:47 PM
Judging by how powerful the shield on Destiny is (it can protect the ship from a star) I don't think the damage has been caused by battle, it has most likely been caused from internal explosions from equipment malfunctioning. I seriously doubt a race that a race that could bring down the shields wouldn't be able to destroy the ship and if Destiny jumped to FTL sensing imminent destruction of boarding, this race would have the ability to follow Destiny and continue the fight.

Jper
December 23rd, 2009, 05:05 PM
Reply @malfunction,

Judging by how powerful the shield on Destiny is (it can protect the ship from a star) I don't think the damage has been caused by battle, it has most likely been caused from internal explosions from equipment malfunctioning. I seriously doubt a race that a race that could bring down the shields wouldn't be able to destroy the ship and if Destiny jumped to FTL sensing imminent destruction of boarding, this race would have the ability to follow Destiny and continue the fight.

The power of the shield to protect the Destiny and passengers from the sun doesn't say anything about the power of the shield to provide protection against weapons fire.

malfunction
December 24th, 2009, 03:11 AM
The power of the shield to protect the Destiny and passengers from the sun doesn't say anything about the power of the shield to provide protection against weapons fire.

Actually it does. Rush said in ‘light’ that Destiny would be ripped apart by the extreme heat, gravity and solar winds the shield protected Destiny perfectly from the star. Even the Daedalus with a ZPM powered shield in ‘Echoes’ wasn’t safe from the destructive power of a star and we have all seen how strong a ZPM powered 304 shield is. In ‘Ark of Truth’ the Odyssey was able take an attack from four Ori ships, the shield stood after a sizeable amounts of direct hits from Ori weapons fire, when a 304 without a ZPM can only handle three direct hits. Destiny has a shield that seems to be almost as powerful as the one Atlantis has, to enter a star and for that star to have no effect on the ship what so ever shows how powerful it is.

And why would the Ancients design a shield that could handle entering a star but was no use in defending the ship from attack? They wouldn’t.

Jper
December 24th, 2009, 03:54 AM
Reply @malfunction,

Actually it does. Rush said in ‘light’ that Destiny would be ripped apart by the extreme heat, gravity and solar winds the shield protected Destiny perfectly from the star. Even the Daedalus with a ZPM powered shield in ‘Echoes’ wasn’t safe from the destructive power of a star and we have all seen how strong a ZPM powered 304 shield is. In ‘Ark of Truth’ the Odyssey was able take an attack from four Ori ships, the shield stood after a sizeable amounts of direct hits from Ori weapons fire, when a 304 without a ZPM can only handle three direct hits. Destiny has a shield that seems to be almost as powerful as the one Atlantis has, to enter a star and for that star to have no effect on the ship what so ever shows how powerful it is.

And why would the Ancients design a shield that could handle entering a star but was no use in defending the ship from attack? They wouldn’t.

No it doesn't. It just says that the shield is extremely good and efficient at providing protection against extreme heat, gravity and solar winds. It doesn't say anything about the strength of the shield in comparison to weapons fire. And all this comparison, talk about ZPMs, Daedalus etc. doesn't matter, you just have no way to compare that to the Destiny.

And that's a stupid question. Why? Because they needed the shield to be able to handle entering a star. I'm not saying it isn't any use as in defending the ship from attack or that they would purposely create a weak shield for defense, but the only thing we know so far is that the shield is extremely efficient as to protect the ship and passengers from the influence of stars. We know nothing about the strength of the shield towards defense purposes. The Ancients would have primarily designed the shield to withstand the influence of the sun.

malfunction
December 24th, 2009, 12:53 PM
No it doesn't. It just says that the shield is extremely good and efficient at providing protection against extreme heat, gravity and solar winds. It doesn't say anything about the strength of the shield in comparison to weapons fire. And all this comparison, talk about ZPMs, Daedalus etc. doesn't matter, you just have no way to compare that to the Destiny.

And that's a stupid question. Why? Because they needed the shield to be able to handle entering a star. I'm not saying it isn't any use as in defending the ship from attack or that they would purposely create a weak shield for defense, but the only thing we know so far is that the shield is extremely efficient as to protect the ship and passengers from the influence of stars. We know nothing about the strength of the shield towards defense purposes. The Ancients would have primarily designed the shield to withstand the influence of the sun.

The most powerful shields we have seen in stargate are those in use on Ori ships and the shield on Atlantis, they can absorb the effects of weapons fire without damaging the ship/city itself or translating an turbulence through to the other side. A shield is primarily designed to protect the user from the space or anything else for that matter outside of the shield. We have seen to separate ships get very close to a star, in ‘Enemies’ a Goa’uld ship could only safely stay near a star for ten hours without being damaged by the star and we know how weak their shields are by universal standards. A race with a far superior shield technology like the Ancients would have stronger shields in battle and this would directly relate to the amount of time it could stay next to a star.

The conditions inside of a star are going to be far more destructive than that of weapons fire from a ship. The temperature alone would be enough to start to melt the hull, the gravity of the star had no effect on the ship either and Rush said it would tear the ship apart. Weapons fire would also have extreme temperatures and an extreme amount of kinetic energy directed at the shield. It is logical to assume that if the shield can survive a star it could survive an intense battle, for a protracted amount of time.

I said it was likely that the damage to the hull was caused by internal explosions because the ship is degrading on a daily basis and we have already seen an internal explosion, in ‘Time’ turning the weapons on caused an explosion that potentially could have compromised the hull. In the past Destiny could have actually fired its weapons and similar explosions could have occurred, leaving holes in the hull. Or some other systems could have exploded due to degradation or some other cause. We still haven’t seen Destiny in battle yet, so for either of us to say for a fact that we are right is impossible. The shield may have different functions for different situations we just don’t know and for you to say that you’re right without any corresponding proof on SGU seen yet is more than a little arrogant.

And it wasn’t stupid question. They wouldn’t send a ship off into uncharted galaxies to explore without appropriate defensive capabilities, they wouldn’t want their technology to fall into another races hands or be destroyed the first time it encountered a hostile race.

Jper
December 24th, 2009, 02:41 PM
Reply @malfunction,

The most powerful shields we have seen in stargate are those in use on Ori ships and the shield on Atlantis, they can absorb the effects of weapons fire without damaging the ship/city itself or translating an turbulence through to the other side. A shield is primarily designed to protect the user from the space or anything else for that matter outside of the shield. We have seen to separate ships get very close to a star, in ‘Enemies’ a Goa’uld ship could only safely stay near a star for ten hours without being damaged by the star and we know how weak their shields are by universal standards.

This is all irrelevant information.

A race with a far superior shield technology like the Ancients would have stronger shields in battle and this would directly relate to the amount of time it could stay next to a star.

No, this does not directly relate. There's no evidence for this. Nor is it likely.

The conditions inside of a star are going to be far more destructive than that of weapons fire from a ship. The temperature alone would be enough to start to melt the hull, the gravity of the star had no effect on the ship either and Rush said it would tear the ship apart. Weapons fire would also have extreme temperatures and an extreme amount of kinetic energy directed at the shield. It is logical to assume that if the shield can survive a star it could survive an intense battle, for a protracted amount of time.

No it isn't. You're only assuming it all relates while there's a big chance the connections/relation isn't directly or linear. You cannot extensively compare the impact of the effects of a star with the impact of all different sorts of weapons fire. There's a relation, okay, but we know nothing about it.

I said it was likely that the damage to the hull was caused by internal explosions because the ship is degrading on a daily basis and we have already seen an internal explosion, in ‘Time’ turning the weapons on caused an explosion that potentially could have compromised the hull. In the past Destiny could have actually fired its weapons and similar explosions could have occurred, leaving holes in the hull. Or some other systems could have exploded due to degradation or some other cause. We still haven’t seen Destiny in battle yet, so for either of us to say for a fact that we are right is impossible. The shield may have different functions for different situations we just don’t know and for you to say that you’re right without any corresponding proof on SGU seen yet is more than a little arrogant.

So? Your point? And I'm not saying anything definitive on that point. I'm saying that your theory doesn't make sense because we just know nothing about it. To just assume that because the shield can withstand the effects of a star, that is a super-shield and more powerful than other previously seen shields or that it will perform quite well in battle and that the other way around isn't possible; is wrong.

And it wasn’t stupid question. They wouldn’t send a ship off into uncharted galaxies to explore without appropriate defensive capabilities, they wouldn’t want their technology to fall into another races hands or be destroyed the first time it encountered a hostile race.

Why wouldn't it just jump back to FTL? Or why can't there be other defensive capabilities? You were asking why the Ancients would built a shield capable of withstanding a star, and that's stupid 'cause if it couldn't do that it couldn't recharge itself. Also, immediately linking this so that they would purposely build it to be no use in battle is stupid. They wouldn't. I'm not saying you're stupid. I'm just saying that what you say there is stupid because if you think about it just doesn't make any sense.

Also remember the Ancients were/are pretty arrogant, so it is entirely possible they thought they had so far superior technology that they wouldn't really need advanced defensive capabilities. They were really smart, but their arrogance was their undoing.

malfunction
December 25th, 2009, 04:55 AM
This is all irrelevant information.

It’s only irrelevant because you say it is.

No, this does not directly relate. There's no evidence for this. Nor is it likely.

There is evidence for this. If a technologically inferior race like the Goa'uld can't build a shield capable of defending a ship near a star and this shields are also inferior in battle, there is a direct link. I would be willing to bet my life that an Aurora class ship could quite easily sty next to a star for an amount of time far longer than a hat'ak could.

You're only assuming it all relates while there's a big chance the connections/relation isn't directly or linear. You cannot extensively compare the impact of the effects of a star with the impact of all different sorts of weapons fire. There's a relation, okay, but we know nothing about it.

I am saying it is more likely that there is a link, while you're saying there is definetly no link for it with the exact same evidence as me, we still haven't see Destiny in battle yet. When we do we will know who is right and who is wrong.

Why wouldn't it just jump back to FTL? Or why can't there be other defensive capabilities? You were asking why the Ancients would built a shield capable of withstanding a star, and that's stupid 'cause if it couldn't do that it couldn't recharge itself. Also, immediately linking this so that they would purposely build it to be no use in battle is stupid. They wouldn't. I'm not saying you're stupid. I'm just saying that what you say there is stupid because if you think about it just doesn't make any sense.

It probably does jump to FTL to defend itself as the first option, but if the attacking ships are fast enough to keep following them, Destiny would have to destroy them eventually. They would have wanted to give Destiny the greatest chance possible to stay intact for as long as possible. Shield generators are very large and take up a sizeable portion of a ship, building two seperate shields would take up room on the ship and also mean the ship would take longer to build. If Destiny was ever being attacked while entering a star switching between shields would leave them vulnerable.

Also remember the Ancients were/are pretty arrogant, so it is entirely possible they thought they had so far superior technology that they wouldn't really need advanced defensive capabilities. They were really smart, but their arrogance was their undoing.[/

I never really believed the Ancients were arrogant and it was their belief they were better than the Wraith that ended their empire. The Lanteans we have seen do not appear to be a miltaristic race, they just built weapons to fight the Wraith without the proper tactical knowledge of fighting. The Wraith are a predatory race and know how to fight properly, it is likely at some point that the Wraith used to fight each other before the war with the Lanteans united them. We know they don't get on with each other very well at all.

Edi
December 25th, 2009, 06:31 AM
Remember people, it is important WHAT you shoot at someone, not only the amount of energy pumped in.
for example: a rock and a armor-piercing bullet, both accelerated to the same velocity (given the mass is the equivalent) - witch would work better for piercing armor?

Love me! ;)

malfunction
December 25th, 2009, 12:09 PM
Remember people, it is important WHAT you shoot at someone, not only the amount of energy pumped in.
for example: a rock and a armor-piercing bullet, both accelerated to the same velocity (given the mass is the equivalent) - witch would work better for piercing armor?

Love me! ;)

A weapon that is specifically designed to drain the shields of Destiny as its main purpose would be able to breach the shield eventually. My point is that it would be very hard for any ships to deplete the shield, as it is Ancient designed and that it has entered a sun with no effects what so ever on the ship itself. If a race was trying to destroy Destiny and actually managed to bring the shield down, do you actually think that they would only be able to blow a few holes in the hull? Destiny would just be a debris field somewhere right now if a hostile race ever breached its shield.

We know from 'Air part 3' that a ship has already landed on the hull, how they got through the shield is unknown. They could have either defeated it with force and left that probe behind or used phase shifting or a technology similar to what the Replicators used to bypass the Asgard's shields to gain access. Until we see Destiny in battle we won't know how powerful the shield is, but I have faith that the Ancients designed the shield to be as strong in defence as it is in entering a star.

The Swarm
December 26th, 2009, 05:07 AM
I think the Destiny's shields can hold the heat,radiation and gravity forces of a sun becouse it draws power from it constantly....so the shields may not be able to handle a long space battle in its current state.

spinny magee
December 26th, 2009, 05:09 AM
And there's this new J.M. blog post (http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/2009/12/23/december-23-2009-travel-day-mucho-mailbag/):

Source:
http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/2009/12/23/december-23-2009-travel-day-mucho-mailbag/

(in a dry voice) ohhhhhhhhhhhhhh.......... oh............ I see

malfunction
December 26th, 2009, 02:37 PM
I think the Destiny's shields can hold the heat,radiation and gravity forces of a sun becouse it draws power from it constantly....so the shields may not be able to handle a long space battle in its current state.

I had never thought of that. It is possible that the shield alone can't protect it from the star, the power needed to keep the shield at this strength is so enormous that maybe Destiny can only maintain it indefinitely inside a star. Although the shield should still be powerful without being in a star for a direct power source, as it has solar mass in its power reserves.

IMO TPTB aren't going to make Destiny a weak ship in battle even in its current state, there will be some throw away line about how the ship is Ancients and when it was built it would beat any ship easily when it encounters a hostile race. I think it will most likely be next series or even later when we see a space battle, as it is supposed to be a Lucian Alliance incursion for the finale, so there won't be ships involved.

Once we see a space battle we will know for sure how tough Destiny really is.

Jper
December 26th, 2009, 03:53 PM
Didn't

Minor Spoilers for SGU S1E1-10
Rush or Eli say the shields were at XX %? I've been looking for the reference, but can't find it anywhere. I know it's in one of the episodes after Air, pt.1.

P.S. We should probably use more spoiler tags, as this should be discussion up to Air, pt.1.

[EDIT] I went back and spoiler-tagged my posts. My apologies to the people I've spoiled. :o

malfunction
December 27th, 2009, 03:24 AM
Didn't

Minor Spoilers for SGU S1E1-10
Rush or Eli say the shields were at XX %? I've been looking for the reference, but can't find it anywhere. I know it's in one of the episodes after Air, pt.1.

P.S. We should probably use more spoiler tags, as this should be discussion up to Air, pt.1.

[EDIT] I went back and spoiler-tagged my posts. My apologies to the people I've spoiled. :o

What you are referring to is not about the shields, it was about how full Destiny's power reserves are

which is 40% full after they left the star in 'Light' the episode in question is 'water'

From what we have seen of Ancient technology it functions at full capacity until it runs out of power, we have had no indication that Destiny is travelling slower than it should or that any of its other system are not operating at full potential either due to not being at 100% capacity.

Nchewbacca
December 27th, 2009, 04:46 AM
Of course, "the design is clearly ancient."

Jper
December 27th, 2009, 06:09 AM
What you are referring to is not about the shields, it was about how full Destiny's power reserves are

which is 40% full after they left the star in 'Light' the episode in question is 'water'

From what we have seen of Ancient technology it functions at full capacity until it runs out of power, we have had no indication that Destiny is travelling slower than it should or that any of its other system are not operating at full potential either due to not being at 100% capacity.

No, I am NOT referring to that. I was referring to this (took my ten minutes to find):

After rewatching the episode [Light], I noticed a few interesting things. One in particular is the display that appears in the "control room" at 32:28. For just a moment, as Young looks at the display, there is a set of "gauges" on the screen. The production folks who make the displays have apparently decided to simply transpose english characters into the Ancient font, because it can easily be translated. Most of what's on,screen I haven't tried to read, but the guage panel is labeled "Power Configuration." The four gauges are labeled "Weapons" (with 0% power), "Shield" (with around 50%), "Life Support" (with around 60%), and "Gate" (with 0% power). The fact that it's labeled "Power Configuration" leads to the obvious conclusion that power can be moved between the systems as required.

Unfortunately, we don't see the display long enough to know if those gauges are incrementing as starstuff is scooped up. But the really interesting thing, to me, is that this is when Destiny is inside the star. In other words, inside a red dwarf, the main shield can protect the ship with only 50% of its power capacity.

[...]

malfunction
December 27th, 2009, 01:58 PM
Whether those gauges say those things I'm not sure, but they make sense. Either way the average of all those four gauges equals somewhere around 40%, which was the figure that Eli came up with. I think if Destiny can't totally recharge it must equally distribute power into all key systems and also it must ration them once it is in flight as well.

The Swarm
December 28th, 2009, 11:52 PM
Jessh i wish they could somehow bring the ship to 100% capacity again...why not use replicator nanites to repair the ship?

Jper
December 29th, 2009, 08:07 AM
That'd be a bit soon, only one half of the first season has gone by. ;-)

malfunction
January 8th, 2010, 12:00 PM
Jessh i wish they could somehow bring the ship to 100% capacity again...why not use replicator nanites to repair the ship?

And where are they supposed to get the Replicator nanites from?

Laxian of Earth
April 12th, 2010, 06:38 AM
rush's backpack? (he is a "crazy" scientist after all (and they tend to carry arround weird or useless (to others then them) stuff, so why not...they would just need a few of those and: material to build things from (can't weaken the ship more by consuming its hull))

:D ^^

greetings LAX
ps: now we have seen destiny in battle (and i am not impressed in the slightest (even a 304 without asgard beams would have been better imho :(